Warley National 2013

Andy Y

Got back a short while ago - almost didn't go at all though having a gippy tum overnight (dodgy homemade Ruby, know what I mean ;) )Feeling the strain a bit after I'd got there meant a couple of quick wizzes round was all I needed to take in as much as possible, but I kept gravitating back to the glass cases at Bachmann's stand several times to view the eye candy there - the N Gauge Blue Pullman, Baby Sulzer and Brush Type 2, the 00 Gauge Inspectors Saloon, BR liveried Porthole stock, BR CCT and various new Scenecraft items all hit the right spot visually. One or two items on the Peco stand caught my, particularly the GWR Brick built signal box which may actually be a Ratio or Wills kit (?), and in the same case was the new Metcalfe station canopy kit which has a very nice Eastern / Northern area look to it.

I went intending to spend a small amount but could easily have spent several hundred quid in one fell swoop, the Heljan 7mm Western is definitely a looker in the flesh, there were at least a dozen new books I fancied but in the event I came away with just two - Kevin Robertson's 'Blue Pullman Pictorial' and 'Didcot Steam Apprentice' from the Railway Heritage series, knocked down  a tenner from it's cover price, plus three sets of etched plates for the Dapol Westerns currently sat on the workbench, D1002, D1003 and D1024... alas D1000 was out of stock at Shawplan!

If the dodgy tum had abated I'd have probably stayed a lot longer, but then I'd have been tempted to spend more and get into a spot of bother.... overall from what I saw it was a good show and I'm glad I went in the end, even if I was a little rushed.

• RMweb Gold

i must admit the Dapol stand looked odd without "Dapol dave" showing off new products, hands on style, there were a couple of gentlemen on the stand who looked to be answering questions though and the factory/shop girls were doing a sterling job of dealing with the scrum for bargains

without going off topic, as others have said it would have been nice for the new Dapol guys to come on here and introduce themselves if only so we knew what they looked like today!!

• RMweb Premium

Enjoyed my. annual trek to Warley, met a few friends and enjoyed the whole show. German and Dutch layouts were huge and very good. Made a few purchases and came away happy big thanks to all those at Warley MRC. who put on the show and to all the trade, society support and of course the exhibitors who work so hard to make the show so good.

• RMweb Gold

Our European colleagues surely do long,long,long...........exhibition layouts.End to end seems to be their 'thing'. A wonderful and truly involving contrast to our OO contributions.Well done our Belgian and Dutch friends!! Magic!

Thought the standard this year better than ever,with some truly different and innovative operating presentation.As I write this,I'mtruly tempted to return tomorrow for a second helping.Thanks to all for a great day out.

Wow! what a day, just back from a great day out at Warley show. After a quick look round I was drawn to one of my favourite layouts 'The Gresley Beat' where I came across my good friend Geoff Taylor who invited me round the back to have a go at running trains. What a great time I had, I ended up been asked to stay on longer to help through the lunch period.

Thanks to Geoff and rest of Gresley Beat team for allowing me to operate this superb layout. If any of you come across my layout 'Haymarket Cross' on your travels you will all be most welcome.

Ian H

• RMweb Gold

i didn't actually see that many layouts today but of the one's i saw i have to say that B.A.Bodil was fantastic, its the one with the large railcar that goes into a tunnel at the front of the layout and appears to get smaller as it moves into the scenery

• RMweb Gold

i have to say that B.A.Bodil was fantastic

That is very clever.....

...... and after watching the anvil scene and model railway I half expected the dog to cock it's leg.

Nice show, friendly faces, plenty of advice given freely by a number of demonstrators and stall holders. Avoid the in-hall burgers, Il Dottori and I were unable to decide which card factory produced them. All in all, a good time seemed to be had by all, just wish I could have got to the front of The Gresley Beat but it was good from the sides and oh, how easy it was to spend money!

• RMweb Gold

A few shots from Warley

post-8525-0-01917100-1385242456_thumb.jpg
post-8525-0-42569200-1385242448_thumb.jpg
post-8525-0-34773300-1385242464_thumb.jpg
post-8525-0-25983700-1385242474_thumb.jpg
post-8525-0-15326600-1385242432_thumb.jpg
post-8525-0-66184200-1385242440_thumb.jpg

In order Fencehouses 2mfs, Dock Green 0 (RMthread), Worcester South Quay 0, Corris 009

I didn't take any of Bob Harper's Cascade Yard as I already have some but I did get to operate a few moves. It is always a pleasure to operate one of Bob's layouts.

Don

Having just got home - I thought the layouts were a very strong selection this year. Fencehouses is exceptional , Oulton was very good indeed (it would be wholly misleading to call it a TMD layout) there were some nice 3mm layouts (Wantage is very fine) , Corris was beautifully done - and that's just scratching the surface . In fact I suspect I probably missed up to a quarter of the layouts

I also didn't spend a lot of money with the trade , though as money is tight at present and my modelling cupboard is still bursting with unbuilt stuff that was partly deliverate...

Very good show, can say no more than that. Set out to spend very little but was only partly successful, a few tempting morsels relieved me of a few quid but thankfully most of my wish list are either still awaited or weren't priced low enough to tempt me, although a DRB for £65 almost achieved it.

Too many high points to list them but PMP's Albion Yd was worth seeing one last time. The standard of the layouts was exceptional again, for whatever reason I seem to spend a disproportionate amount of time at Warley looking at overseas models, not something that generally attracts me. The high standards of these layouts this year made sure this habit continued. I'd have to say that whilst the standards of modelling seen from many of the layouts which are from overseas are on a par with the best home grown layouts, the overall standards of presentation are often significantly better. Those from Holland in particular seem to be on a different level.

Archived