4...The "General Thread" of......Dover's Railways, Kent.

David Todd

Hello,,

I "go by" my initials of "dt". I have been a member since 2008, then "ferries 2008". Data base changed,then became "ferriesdover" in 2011.

For 30 odd years, I have thought of building a model,a "likeness",of the town's railway, I have lived around and in for 35 years.

I have no connection with railways, the sea has been my life, from cruise ships to ferries and enjoyed it  immensely .

Now, in retirement, I did not return to my roots,in Wallsend,in the NE of England................ I may, be able to get on with it.

I hope to be in the SR.Group, with member's that have tackled 3rd.Rail,and avoid some of the pitfalls,that go with it.

I know, from reading some of the members posts, over the year's that some of you have,"worked Dover and it's environs"...........

I would be obliged, to those who may be tempted to post comment,such as........ "that's,not how it is/was","that should be there and not there".

After all, it is in the space I have available to me and had to take modeling licence.............

Most of it has been done by eye and photographs,I have taken. There is no computer generated diagram.

The first b/boards were laid 5. years ago, in my infern    internal garage, but, only started track laying, 18 months ago.

I have  had to take "modellers' licence", to create what I want to achieve.

Namely, The Town Yard,has had to come further West, Hawkesbury St Junction, and track work to Dover Priory,has had to be "rejigged"

With working with code 100 streamline track and a few code 75 and 83 point's crossing's,thrown in.

I will explain further,at a later date, but leave with a few pics, from the Naff Video & Picture Co. (My thread could become, picture intensive,at times).

Most of my own pics, or from, personal friends/assoc. who have granted me permissions to display. Their names attributed, along side the pics.

BFn........ps. Please bear with me, as I get used to the forum protocol,and new fangled stuff........

post-13585-0-71071000-1375874123.jpg...............2-Epb.Dover Priory

The Real Shakey Tunnel.

8949197881_23c252e4c1_o.jpg

Dover Priory..........under construction...........2.months ago..

8748349092_143af31887_o.jpg

DP. platform 1.

8720635664_d237d17651_o.jpg

9428668086_396526ab81_o.jpg

Dover Marine Station portal

9368217135_89fa9fd690_o.jpg

Welcome back to the fold, d.t.  :victory:

Knowing there are so many wonderful "in progress" photographs of your (years of) DP work still extant over at another Model Railway Forum, and that you are free to post a link here, without fear of retribution, you may like to do so, so that visitors who have not yet seen some of your hard work can take a look.

Hope you'll continue the prodigious output here!

Cheers

Scott

Hey hey dt

Lovely to see you mate, Kal has beaten me to it, so I just agree..... wonderful to see your layout, another good researcher, on this forum. And your brand of humour, which usually puts a big smile on my face. Saves me having to moonlight elsewhere to see what you have been up to  :friends:  

Shouldn't we have a picture of the cliffs? So we can start the French jokes??  :nono:    :sungum:

Hopefully you will now have people to help with your specific railway area.  :help:

So I wonder how long it will take to get another 100,000 views!!!!!!!!!!!  :locomotive:  :senile:  :P

Dont even think of using that link as an excuse to not layout all the history and thought processes behind your charming layout, :nono:  we expect LOTS of pictures. :protest: (You can leave out the dreaded Exxxx Mxxxx which I promise to not elude to again...............well unless you personally open that door  :sarcastichand:  :jester:

I can see I will have to examine ALL the emoticons carefully......... :sungum:

Come on more pictures, we want more pictures................ MORE PICTURES........or else  :triniti:

• RMweb Premium

Good stuff David, as one of those who worked at Dover 1981 - 1999, I shall follow with interest.

The back ground of the first photo of the 2EBP took me straight back to when I lodged in a place on Priory Hill and walked up the steps after work.

One question how long is the Priory Station "set"

Thanks

Simon   

Thank you all for your Welcome's............... :cry:

One question how long is the Priory Station "set"

Thank You for your post Simon............

Well Simon,do you mean the Real DP, or my poor effort, DP....................... :scratchhead:

I did say this layout is rather tongue, in cheek  for those who worked it....

DP.1. 3 set/12.car..............on the real one.

2.set 4-Cep, 8 car, at a push, or a Standard Full Set, HS1, comfortably...............but, am not too fussed.

I can make up a 12 car,plus 1 or 2 MLV's. non stopping of course.........

I intend running 3-car Electrostar sets, when I get round doing the Turbostar conversions,

37 E/Star  ends.............which I got from James Makin,last year...aka, "Wells TMD"

At the moment, both platforms,are out on the workbench.

DP.2/3 for construction of canopy,fitting of platform lights.

DP 1. for up grade of platform lights, and edge painting.

The foot over bridge also for reconstruction and painting,bit like the real one, started but never finished............

I am busy trying to find out how to load a You Tube vid. to this thread..............any............ :help:

9454712609_5030b04e36_o.jpg

DT, Welcome

As with others, I'm going to be following this with interest as my chosen area is the south.

Having seen the photos on here, the standard of modelling and research is certainly very high with amazing attention to detail.

I've had a quick look at the other forum and now need to book a couple of days doing nothing to read it properly.

Duncan

David,

Your layout is looking very good, captures the prototype very well. Had you considered modelling the well at the Priory?

post-1373-0-84532000-1375907248_thumb.jpg

I have worked around the railways of Dover for a long time, might pop there tommorrow to find out why we are using so much electricity at the closed signal box.

Cheers.

Paul.

David,

Your layout is looking very good, captures the prototype very well. Had you considered modelling the well at the Priory?

attachicon.gifW-567 Dover Priory 27-5-95.jpg

I have worked around the railways of Dover for a long time, might pop there tommorrow to find out why we are using so much electricity at the closed signal box.

Cheers.

Paul.

Listen for anyone chatting in Vietnamese before you walk in, Paul...

Moorings............... :scratchhead:

As there is no computer generated plan of the layout,later today,I will post "aerial pics" of the main components, so you may get the jist.

I do not really wish to go back to the start of DP. Build, I have provided a link in a post above, if you have that much interest.and time.

Bye the bye, I have never built,or done anything like this before,railways or modelling and have only basic skills,but have learnt a lot,

in 18 months,things get built,stay where they are for a few weeks/months, till I am used to it,if it does suit, it comes out and I start again.

In negotiating terms,with Lofty sr. (a good friend) who is teaching me scenery skills,(90% of what you see,is his work),

The bottom line came to..........2 cups of coffee,an hour.....or...........£30. an hour.

Well,I jumped @ that chance.he fell for the "no- brainer"..............so I quickly stumped up the £30.quid..................( only,joking ).

8774413118_aab8fbf16b_o.jpg

8774412200_ddebc0ddce_o.jpg

8769599997_867fe755ff_o.jpg

BFn........

Moorings............... :scratchhead:

As there is no computer generated plan of the layout,later today,I will post "aerial pics" of the main components, so you may get the jist.

I do not really wish to go back to the start of DP. Build, I have provided a link in a post above, if you have that much interest.and time.

*snip*

BFn........

Back to the Future it is then, son!

Full steam ahead... :locomotive: (or should that just be "Ahead Full"?)

S

Thank you Duncan,Brian... Paul for the pic and your early post's.

The "well" I did consider in the early days to go that far back and model the Well.

As in previous drought years, MLV's,  collected "Water Tankers'",filled from the well, to various parts of Kent,

To replenish, Wash Plants ?.....Why these, were not on  their own,water main,is beyond me....

Well, that was easy, Thanks guys...........Vid..

Naff Vid.& Picture Company...Present..............A Naff.Vid.

Taken several months ago, while the tracks were testing 9 hours or so a day,for weeks............Worn out..........

2 x 4-Cep's...2 x 2-Epb's a 1 x  4- Vep.

You see,the curves at the garage door end are set to 18/20" curves.

The curves at the other side of the "ovals" are set from the town yard end (east) 18" entry,20,22 then 24" exit.

These curves,are know as the "10.chain curve".. (give or take a cricket pitch).

The vid. starts with the loco,exiting "Shakey" Tunnel down the correct mainline to....10 chain curve,.....on the right is the east end of the Town Yard.

Behind that and the door,will be Dover Marine Station facade,against the wall.

As the train,rounds the curve,you will see,an outer track,(my mod. licence)an approach from the north to DMS.

Taken from,the puny,Hawkesbury Street Junction,which,the train approaches from the curve.

Then, on through Harbour Tunnel,very shortened version, Through into Dover Priory.

Exits Priory, though Priory Tunnel,around the curves,(which will be boxed in).

Then.......exits Shakey Cliff Tunnels,adjacent to the head shunt,at the West end of the Town Yard.

Carries on down the mainlines,to do yet another circuit............ albeit........  on the "up line",going "down".........

,I will update you with a more current version of a Naff. vid. later..I.hope you get the basics,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=wivLOQmlDxs

• RMweb Gold

I know Dover very well as a lot of my family (cousins)  have lived there since 1960. Indeed, one was married to a Dover driver who sadly died a couple of years ago,just after retiring with ill-health.

I also used to use Priory a lot on my way to/from the Hovercraft and I like the way that part of the down platform has been modelled.

There are some great layouts where the technical quality is so great that you have to look carefully to see that it is a model. And then there is another type of great layout where the modeller has the artistic ability to really capture the feel of the real thing. This is one of those layouts - brilliant. Would love to see a full track plan.

Archived