Nottingham Model Railway Society

great central

• 1 month later...

Just got back from the club after a phone call this afternoon saying we'd had a break-in :O

Fortunately nothing much missing and little damage.  Surprised they took a very old video camera without it's associated video recorder (Betamax!)

that weighs about the same as a couple of breeze blocks. A few small tools that someone had left there and that's about it, unless we miss anything else in the coming weeks.

They did walk right across Trent Lane Junction though again only real damage is some fencing and a footprint in the grassed area, but should only take an hour or so to put right. At least it shows our baseboards are strong!

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I'd mentioned in the original post that several of the TLJ boards were going as a static display to Netherfield later in the year. Darned if I can find the reference now though!

Anyway it's on Saturday and Sunday 23rd and 24th November, in I believe, the St Georges Centre on Victoria Road. As well as the layout there will be pictures and information and a display of local railwayana. Also a display of related model locos.

Book Law, the Nottingham based publishers will have a stand as well as the RCTS.

There is a link to the local council information but it majors on the 'community theatre' idea, that they are doing rather than the more tangible and factual stuff.

http://www.gedling.gov.uk/leisure/artseventsandplay/tracksintime/

Hope a few can make it even though it's Warley weekend.

• RMweb Premium

I just love this layout as it is going to really help complete the 'jigsaw' in my head about lines around this part of Nottingham. I often drove in to Trent Bridge House this way before the bypass was sorted and just was so frustrated that i could not work out what had been where despite loads of 'detours and wanderings'!

I'm not able to get to the Gedling event, but I have to congratulate the Council on working on such an innovative Arts project - brilliant and very nostalgia making for locals I'm sure. 

Looking forward to seeing this layout 'in the flesh' as a guest of the club if I can get that arranged.

P @ 36E

Sorry to hear of your break-in and I hope it is confirmed that loss/damage is minimal.  Will the police need the footprint as evidence? 

Thanks, the damage was minimal and nothing else has come to light as missing. Given that nothing much was taken and the damage isn't particularly serious the police have issued a crime number but taking no further action. The window where they got in would now require a section of the wall taking out to get through! 

• 5 months later...

We're having a club 'open day' on Easter Saturday. I managed to get a loco about 80% of the way round the Midland line on Trent Lane Junction last Tuesday, so hopefully should be able to run something all the way round next Tuesday!

Streatham Mainline will be in operation as well as the rejuvinated 'urban' American HO layout and Market Witham our O

gauge layout which should make it's exhibition debut next year.

Only a £1 entry including a cuppa and biscuits. Come along and have a natter and see what we're about, there'll be a

small club sales stand as well.

Proceeds will go towards the purchase of the clubrooms.

• 7 months later...

Nottingham Model Railway Society will be presenting our 2015 Nottingham Model Railway Exhibition at Hadden Park High School on 21st to 22nd March 2015:

When? 

Saturday 21st March 2015 09.30 - 17.30
Sunday 22nd March 2015 10.00 - 17.00 

Where?
Hadden Park High School
Harvey Road off Beechdale Road
Bilborough 
Nottingham
NG8 3BB

Further information will be available on our website which is updated regularly on the run-up to the show and in the thread on RM Web. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/93458-nottingham-model-railway-exhibition-21st-22nd-march-2015/

Edited by doctor quinn

Hi Mike

No, Trent Lane Junction won't be complete by next March (although progress has picked up a fair bit since Great Central started this thread) The announcement of the club show is more in the vein of "club news"

Nick

Edited by doctor quinn

• RMweb Gold

Looks terrific. Would be good to see a sketch of the overall trackplan so as to understand exactly what is being modelled (presumably not the main Nottingham stations).

How many other locations are there in the UK where a road level crossing is below a railway bridge?

• RMweb Gold

Looks terrific. Would be good to see a sketch of the overall trackplan so as to understand exactly what is being modelled (presumably not the main Nottingham stations).

How many other locations are there in the UK where a road level crossing is below a railway bridge?

Google is your friend.

Within the images are some excellent CGI's of the junction.

Mike.

• 4 weeks later...

Progress! Over the Christmas period we have been pushing on with the trackbed towards the "city" end. Here you can see Hayden Reed and Gerry Young fixing the upper (Great Northern) deck.

post-7218-0-91947800-1420283022.jpg

Happy New Year folks

• 3 weeks later...

This weeks activities have centred around setting up another of Nottingham MRS's layout, Ilkeston Town to prepare for an outing later this year;

post-7218-0-14267100-1421582697.jpg

It is based on the LMS station in the Derbyshire town of Ilkeston and features the authentic track plan and station buildings that also models of the gas works, shops and houses that were in the vicinity. This makes the model an interesting historical record of the area and the trains that served the town at that time.

• 1 month later...

Some more shots of our O Gauge layout Market Witham that will be appearing at our show the weekend after next.

post-7218-0-35452500-1426018531.jpg

The station building scratch built by Hayden Reed

post-7218-0-07035000-1426018580.jpg

Jeff Brain's Class 05 built from a Juduth Edge kit by the running in board

Nick

Edited by doctor quinn

• RMweb Gold

Progress! Over the Christmas period we have been pushing on with the trackbed towards the "city" end. Here you can see Hayden Reed and Gerry Young fixing the upper (Great Northern) deck.

attachicon.gif30140130 Jerry & Hayden.JPG

Happy New Year folks

I think we have found the "vandal" who left the footprint alluded to in post 6 !!!

Mike.

• 4 months later...

Well, it's been a while since we updated what's been going on, buildings and bridges have continued to appear on Trent Lane Junction;

Ambergate Terrace - the real one started out as a row of houses but expansion of the GN lines led to them being progressively demolished. In reality three houses survived but due to the track geometry, we've had to do some selective compression.

post-7218-0-05187300-1437601084.jpg

The three bridges on Meadow Lane are also taking shape, the County ground would be about a mile behind the photographer (or in the kitchen at the club rooms!)

post-7218-0-46321300-1437601253.jpg

Just noticed - only two of the decks are in place

Nick

Edited by doctor quinn
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...