Twright's Workbench

Hi all

WORKBENCH CONTENTS:

PECKETT - Scratchbuilding an OO Peckett.

INSULATED VAN - An attempt at converting a vent van into an insulating van.

LOCO COAL WAGON - A Coopercraft loco coal wagon.

WEATHERING/REPAINTING OF STOCK - General repaing/weathering of some of my stock.

FOWLER 421 class - Scratchbuilding 'Mavis', a 1957 Fowler shunter, in OO.

PANNIER - A 3D printed 16xx Pannier - now moved to here.

AUTOCOACH - Modifying a Hornby Autocoach to an A38

Hornby 0-4-0 - Changing an 0-4-0T into an 0-4-0PT

Recently I decided that a Peckett would soon be needed for shunting duties and seeing a picture of the Coleford Peckett inspired me to make one. Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think that one can be bought as a kit at 00 scale so I printed of a line drawing with dimensions to 4mm : 1ft.

post-19880-0-87079300-1375903630_thumb.gif

Most of it will have to be scratch built however parts of it I have scavenged from an old Airfix 'Pug' kit.

The picture below shows the pieces I have already.

post-19880-0-19900500-1375903473_thumb.jpg

I am thinking of using a Hornby Smokey Joe 0 4 0 to supply more parts and the motor and I will buy the wheels and gearbox from Alan Gibson or would something else be more suitable?

Any comments / suggestions would be useful.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tom,

This looks like an interesting project and you've made a good start.  It'll be nice to see the project progress.

Not sure if you're aware of RT Models? Robert does some excellent industrial loco fittings you may be able to source for this project.

Here's the link:

http://www.rtmodels.co.uk/rt_models_019.htm

Robert is very helpful and provides an excellent service. His castings and etches are really good too!

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Tom,

This looks like an interesting project and you've made a good start.  It'll be nice to see the project progress.

Not sure if you're aware of RT Models? Robert does some excellent industrial loco fittings you may be able to source for this project.

Here's the link:

http://www.rtmodels.co.uk/rt_models_019.htm

Robert is very helpful and provides an excellent service. His castings and etches are really good too!

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks for the link. There are several things I can use there.

I recomend that you look at High Level kits gearboxes.

Gordon A

Bristol

I could be able to use some of those gearboxes. Thanks.

Mark - I have ordered the Peckett buffer pack for my loco so they should arrive soon.

I have also cut and sanded the saddle tank of my (ex)'Smokey Joe' to form the tank for my W6. I am yet to make the ends and a new face for the smokebox as the other one was melted by some errant glue.

Here are all the pieces that I have constructed so far. The frames will have the hole for the wheels cut when I have bought them. The safety valve, whistle and saddle tank are from the Smokey Joe and the rest has either been made or scavenged from other locos or wagons.

post-19880-0-21960500-1376410218.jpg

Hi

post-19880-0-24297400-1376484575_thumb.jpg

As you can see Smokey Joe's saddle tank and chimney have been attached to the smokebox and the sections of the tank have been added with what I think is 10 thou plastic card.

I was wondering should I fit brake pipes to the buffer beams or not. I don't think they had them until preservation but could some be fitted (for working a small industrial branch with fitted wagons for example)?

Any opinions welcome.

I was wondering should I fit brake pipes to the buffer beams or not. I don't think they had them until preservation but could some be fitted (for working a small industrial branch with fitted wagons for example)?

There were very few industrial concerns which had vacuum fitted locos, off the top of my head I can only think of some dock concerns such as Bristol and London (PLA)

http://www.martynbane.co.uk/images/peckett/locos/2036-peckett.jpg

Recently going to the West Somerset Railway allowed me to be able to take some pictures of the real thing, A R3 Pecket at Washford (the S&D trust's loco). This has been fitted with brake pipes in preservation and was doing shuttles in the confines of the station.

A few pictures are reproduced here:

post-19880-0-40888000-1376850834_thumb.jpg

post-19880-0-40892600-1376850855_thumb.jpg

post-19880-0-12115600-1376850877_thumb.jpg

Edit: it is actually a R3 type.

Is Northern Gas Board No 1 a W6?

http://drps.synthasite.com/steam-locos.php

If so I might be able to get away with one on my Wallingford layout, though I think it only ran for one day at Wallingford, then got a hot box and had to go away again!

I'm not a Peckett expert but from the cab windows I'd say that's a W7? Or even a special of some sort?

• RMweb Gold

That's all coming together very nicely Tom. 

Glad you like the buffers ;)

Robert does some really nice stuff and his service is always excellent.

Look forwards to the next instalment.

Cheers,

Mark

Hi

For those you are interested this is what remains of my 'Smokey Joe'.

The motor has been transferred to another loco 'Lion Works no. 6' (well actually the whole chassis had been transferred. The motor from LW no.6 is powering the incline on Hiffton: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/74464-hiffton-creamery-incline/ and the gear wheel had been worn away hence the exchange) and the missing body work has been adapted into the Peckett.

post-19880-0-10346100-1376927097_thumb.jpg

Archived