4mm Edwardian figures

• RMweb Gold

I'll need a few sets I should think. I have tried to email my interest but for some reason it keeps rejecting my emails. They do look good don't they

Londontram,

Have you tried 'liking' his Facebook page and leaving a message, that is if you are on Facebook?

Edited by ChrisN

• 2 weeks later...

The latest on the Edwardian figures from Andrew Stadden:

Attached is an image of the completed pewter masters for the two sets of 10 figures. They should be off to the mould maker by the end of the week, so it won't be too long before they are in production.

I do now have costings in mind, although I will not be able to confirm this until I have had a production trial run. The price of OO metal figures varies wildly between manufacturers, I anticipate these being firmly in the middle ground.

I think they look absolutely marvellous and look forward to seeing them for real.  If the test castings that were shown at Scaleforum are anything to go by, they will be top notch.

If you are interested or have any comments, please send Andrew an email: enquiries@acstadden.co.uk

David.

post-4465-0-10725700-1384202214_thumb.jpg

Edited by davidbr
  • Like 6

• 1 month later...
I have had an email from Andrew:

The first two Andrew C Stadden OO Gauge Figure sets are now on sale at http://www.acstadden.co.uk/Pages/oogaugefigures.aspx

Each set of ten figures is £10 plus £1.50 P&P UK up to 3 sets, £3 up to 6 sets.

Purchases can be made using the shopping cart on my http://www.acstadden.co.uk website.

If overseas please select the correct postage option.

Alternatively you can pay by cheque made out to 'Andrew C Stadden' and send to Mr A C Stadden, 41 Cove Road, Rustington, West Sussex, BN16 2QN.

Any problems or questions please email enquiries@acstadden.co.uk

Thank you for your interest in this project, if the demand is there the next sets will be Edwardian Railway Staff and Workmen.

You can see what you get for your money in the post above.  I think they are excellent value.

David

Edited by davidbr

• RMweb Gold

I have had an email from Andrew:

The first two Andrew C Stadden OO Gauge Figure sets are now on sale at http://www.acstadden.co.uk/Pages/oogaugefigures.aspx
Each set of ten figures is £10 plus £1.50 P&P UK up to 3 sets, £3 up to 6 sets.
Purchases can be made using the shopping cart on my http://www.acstadden.co.uk website.
If overseas please select the correct postage option.
Alternatively you can pay by cheque made out to 'Andrew C Stadden' and send to Mr A C Stadden, 41 Cove Road, Rustington, West Sussex, BN16 2QN.
Any problems or questions please email enquiries@acstadden.co.uk
Thank you for your interest in this project, if the demand is there the next sets will be Edwardian Railway Staff and Workmen.

You can see what you get for your money in the post above.  I think they are excellent value.

David

Not quite in time for Christmas, but I have ordered mine and I am looking forward to getting them.

Don't forget these are in Pewter, not white metal (a bonus) and at £1 each (10 for £10) very good value, in my opinion.
When you go to 'check out' there's a PayPal option too.
I've ordered my sets already.

• RMweb Gold

I received mine as well this morning, which is not bad considering that I ordered them at nearly 23:00 on 20th December, so six days with Christmas in between and with Christmas post. 

I am grateful that a number of years ago I invested in a modelling light and magnifying glass from Hobbycraft as I will need it to see all the detail to paint.  I think that they are fabulous and I am looking forward to the next releases.

• Like 2

I said I wouldn’t be able to resist so out came the brushes and paints and I have made a start on them, I first gave them all a black wash to highlight the detail before starting on any colours.

post-13569-0-36821500-1388170095_thumb.jpg

Here are the first three with most of the first coat as a test to get the colours right, It would appear that I will have to put at least two coats on to cover all the metal, that should also help in me getting the colours right as the old colour blindness can be a hindrance. I also need to do a bit more work on the faces but I’m pleased with the results so far.

post-13569-0-22648500-1388170134_thumb.jpg

A long way to go yet but an enjoyable little evening job all the same and with a few quiet days ahead I should make some progress.

Chris – I found the magnifying glass stopped me from seeing when the brush was touching the figures so only used it to review what I had done. Good luck with yours.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Jim,

Good to see you doing some modelling again.  When you paint the colours do you use the paint as is, or is it thinned?  I have used a black wash but it disappeared under the coats I put on after it?

My magnifying glass is about three inches across, it is free standing with an annular light around it  so I have no problems.

Edited by ChrisN

Hi Chris

I put a thin coat on first and then an ‘as is’ coat on the higher detail later to try and obtain a shade difference and blend in, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. I will use a final wash if required. The brush for the final coat is wet rather than loaded, if you see what I mean so as not to obscure detail.

I don’t know about you but I need regular breaks from it to rest the eyes.

As for the modelling I am hoping to do some everyday even if it is only for half an hour or so, today was great as I was up at 4.00am, I won’t be able to keep that up though.

• Like 1

Having painted literally thousands of wargames figures about this scale over the years can I recommend the following

1. Glue the figures to a small card base using Copydex oor some other easily peelable glue

2. Once dry spray paint with Halfords Grey Primer.  Lay the figures down and spray each side separately to ensure every part is covered by a thin layer.  This is an excellent base for acrylics and dries in minutes.  If you don't put an undercoat on first then you may well end up putting layer after layer of topcoat on to get the saturation you want and thus end up obscuring the detail.

3. Put your colours on.  I always start with the flesh.

4. Once all the colours are on make a very thin wash of black - I use the black concentrate, well diluted, from Geoscenics.  Using a very small brush line all the separations between the colours.  This will considerably sharpen up the painting and provide shadows.

5. Go over all the colours again to narrow the black lines down.

6.  I don't bother at this scale with overlays of  highlighting etc.  But I strongly recommend using Games Workshop acrylic inks. Red, Green, Blue etc can all go on top of their own colours but the Sepia looks excellent on yellows and browns while the Earthshade adds considerably to all the darker colours like brown even black.  Anything metal should have black ink (now called Nuln, I think) on it and flesh should be inked last of all with one of their flesh coloured inks.  My own favourite is Ogryn Flesh which gives an outdoors look but your ladies may require something lighter.

7. Back into the spray box (a paper box lid outside in my case)  for both sides again to get a blast of good quality varnish.  My preference is for Humbrol matt.

Finally can I ask how tall these figures are?

• RMweb Gold

Painting Tips.

There was a link on the Arboreatum Thread to Northern Maiden's method of painting, which is on post 8 of her thread.

I think what I need to do is to have three of the same figures and paint them all three ways to see which looks the best.

As I lay in bed last night I realised that I had a Dapol set which has three copies of everything, then I realised they were plastic and I want to do the trial with whitemetal.  Looks like another letter to Mr Monty or MRD.

Edited by ChrisN

... and I'm pleased to see the Victorian / Edwardian (and in some parts of west Cornwall still) code of conduct in keeping the gentlemen separate from the ladies has been maintained through to the packaging of the figures too..... :nono:

Very nice, and clean. Thanks Andrew.

• Like 1

I have been painting these on and off over the last few days waiting for paint to dry, most are nearing completion and these are the closest to that so far. As you can see some are better than others as it seems to depend on the shape and finish of each and my skills - or lack of, as I often think to myself.

Anyway they appear acceptable to the naked eye but the camera can be cruel so I may need to touch up here and there. They are great looking figures though.

An overall shot that shows them a bit larger than actual size ..

post-13569-0-17004500-1388508778_thumb.jpg

...and a cruel close up, but I do like the lady in blue as her face is so detailed, now can I get the others that good or do I need a few ugly B.....s as well?

post-13569-0-13671200-1388508826_thumb.jpg

Have a great New Year and good luck for 2014 and your figure painting of course.

• Like 7

Aberdare, yes the Blue Lady does have a nice face, but bearing in mind, in the picture above, she is seen at least 3 times bigger than the actual model (on my PC screen), I had to get the spy glass out to see that detail.

Good painting.

PS - I would like to get some ready for Southampton Show in 3+ weeks time, but there's one or three other jobs need doing first.....

Edited by Penlan

• RMweb Premium

My two sets arrived the other day and they look great. I have exchanged a couple of emails with Andrew Stadden and he has confirmed that he is going ahead with a further two sets, one for workmen and one for railway staff.

He has been very pleased with the response to the figures and hopes to start on the new sets within the next week.

Excellent news!

Tony

ps. Very nice painting! I hope I can get mine looking as good as them. 

• RMweb Gold

I have been painting these on and off over the last few days waiting for paint to dry, most are nearing completion and these are the closest to that so far. As you can see some are better than others as it seems to depend on the shape and finish of each and my skills - or lack of, as I often think to myself.

Anyway they appear acceptable to the naked eye but the camera can be cruel so I may need to touch up here and there. They are great looking figures though.

An overall shot that shows them a bit larger than actual size ..

attachicon.giffigures 033a.JPG

...and a cruel close up, but I do like the lady in blue as her face is so detailed, now can I get the others that good or do I need a few ugly B.....s as well?

attachicon.giffigures 030a.JPG

Have a great New Year and good luck for 2014 and your figure painting of course.

Jim,

These are excellent, well done.  (If that is patronising- I do not mean it to be.) 

I am still waiting to find the time, although once I get past the undercoat, face & shoes I usually stop for ages trying to work out what colour I should paint their clothes.  I am just a bit boring in my dress and not very imaginative, perhaps I should google some Edwardian clothes web sites.

Edited by ChrisN

I am still waiting to find the time, although once I get past the undercoat, face & shoes I usually stop for ages trying to work out what colour I should paint their clothes.  I am just a bit boring in my dress and not very imaginative, perhaps I should google some Edwardian clothes web sites.

The problem is finding good sites with colour images, but try this one for 'high fashion' stuff

https://www.pinterest.com/mwojdak/edwardian-fashion-1900-1920/

a bit too much indoor clothing but some marvellous colours to copy in the outdoor clothes

jayell

Edited by johnlewis
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Excellent link, John, thanks. The challenge with strong colours like that is always to tone them down just right, I find. 

My figures have also arrived and I can see some potential for converting a couple into GW station staff (eg the gent on the right in Jim's last shot). Even if Andrew is doing a set of station staff it's always good fun to experiment a bit.

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 1