4mm Edwardian figures

• RMweb Gold

I have just come across this figure from Dart Castings which I do not think really cuts it, not for pre 1911 anyway.

I know this thread has been about The A C Stadden figures but I wanted others to see this one.  Thoughts welcome.

Edit:  They have not copied someone from Downton Abbey have they?

Edited by ChrisN
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks Chris for the info on the new Stadden figures. Looks like there's enough for a whole train there!

I have just come across this figure from Dart Castings which I do not think really cuts it, not for pre 1911 anyway.

I know this thread has been about The A C Stadden figures but I wanted others to see this one.  Thoughts welcome.

Interesting to see Dart venturing into the Edwardian period. I agree that she doesn't trigger "Edwardian!" in my mind either - which is important because figures are important for indicating period on a layout.

I think the clothing was actually around in the late (as you say) "Edwardian" period (from just pre- WW1). The hat seems to be this type: http://bctreasuretrove.com/product/hats/daring-fuchsia-velvet-edwardian-hat/ and the coat has similarities with one worn by a woman waiting at Ealing in "Edwardian Elegance" p158. 

Edited to clarify "late Edwardian".

Edited by Mikkel

• RMweb Gold

Mikkel,

I think you are right.  I have two photos from 'dated' years. i.e., they have worked out the date from the clothing.  The earliest I can get is 1913 and the next is 1916.. 

I have shown the figure to my wife who agrees it is around the time Downton Abbey is set.  The figure would fit in well in a WW1 layout.  On the other hand I could back date her to 1895 with a longer skirt and really puffed out sleeves.

Edit:  If Downton Abbey has not reached Denmark then a brief explanation is required.  It is set in an 'Edwardian' country house and the first series was just before WW1 or there abouts, but after the death of King Edward, and is now I am told past that and nearly at the twenties. I assume the figure is based on someone in the time of the first series.

Edited by ChrisN
  • Like 1

All these wonderful period figures and more to come. But I'm a bloke, uniforms and overalls I'm ok with. However ladies & gents apparel from the Edwardian period and the appropriate colours are a closed book to me, dammit I know nothing of todays fashions let alone 90 years ago!

So, has anyone found any useful web sites or resources to point the ignorant such as myself in the correct direction for appropriate colour schemes for our little Edwardian folk.

John.

• RMweb Gold

All these wonderful period figures and more to come. But I'm a bloke, uniforms and overalls I'm ok with. However ladies & gents apparel from the Edwardian period and the appropriate colours are a closed book to me, dammit I know nothing of todays fashions let alone 90 years ago!

So, has anyone found any useful web sites or resources to point the ignorant such as myself in the correct direction for appropriate colour schemes for our little Edwardian folk.

John.

John,

Yep, join the club.  If you Google Victorian Fashion, or Edwardian Fashion you will get lots of pictures when you select 'image'.  However, just a few pointers from someone who knows blue goes with black and grey goes with most things but blue does not always go with blue.  (REally?  Why not?  :scratchhead: )

Penlan gave me a link on page two.  That will take you back to his post.  Unfortunately this is a Pintrest page and if you are not a member it is annoying but not impossible. There is this which is alright.  If you follow the link above on either of the numbers then that will take you to a black and white photo site but you will get an idea of what the fashions looked like and how they changed.  There is also Barrington House which is much the same but not so extensive and is American fashion which is not quite the same.

Jaz from Arboretum Valley of this parish has advised me on my thread that only vegetable dyes were available which limited the colours available and that men wore lots of browns, and of course the rich wore shirts with stiff collars. 

MRD gives painting suggestions with his figures.  His figures are, I think good, although not in the A C Staden league but can be a little big.

This is not exhaustive by any means.  It depends on how important the figures are in your scheme of things and how many you have got.  They fascinate me so I take ages over them but mainly because I do not have a clue and paint what I like.  Have a look at Aberedare's figures on this thread and there are a few on mine and there will be a few more.  Aberedare's are good, mine are, er, informative.

In the end, it is unlikely, unless you are very unfortunate, that someone will see your layout who is an expert in Edwardian fashion so you can blag your way with most people.  ;)

• Like 3

I list some references that may be useful  in my blog at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1405/entry-13656-on-the-victorian-cat-walk/

Although I'm primarily concerned with the late 19th century, some of the references continue into the Edwardian period. Incidentally, aniline (synthetic) dyes were discovered during the19th century, so no need to limit your colour palette too much.

Mike

• RMweb Gold

The Dart figure is WW1 era in shorter skirts so actually KGV era   .The umbrella  handle should fit in a small hole if drilled out .Pleased you like it , more to come hopefully .

Hi,

I assume that you made this?  It is a little late for me as my layout is set in 1895 but I may well modify it as I gave with other Dart figures.  It should do well if there is a spate of WW1 layouts. 

Hi,

I assume that you made this?  It is a little late for me as my layout is set in 1895 but I may well modify it as I gave with other Dart figures.  It should do well if there is a spate of WW1 layouts. 

Its really all down to hemlines  for era choice  at that time and its much easier to lengthen a skirt on a (whitemetal ) model than shorten it .The direct reverse of real life  :-)

• Like 1

Edwardian? Only if you mean Edward VIII...

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have just seen this post on Andrew Stadden's Facebook page:-

Edwardian seated figure sets OO gauge, sculpts for the first eight men finished today, just two to go!

1454587_366603383507464_7610232262920776

Now will they be out before Christmas?

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Andrew Stadden has just posted another picture on Facebook.

10360842_367423573425445_528262878797048

Caption.  Fifteen completed, five more to go.

It is difficult to tell but I think they have minor differences to the standing group which is good as they will not look exactly the same.  I cannot imagine putting this lot in a coach though.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Super, exactly what I need for the seventeen LNWR platform seats I've just made.

Andrew makes some wonderful figures. Looking ahead, some children and youffs would be a good addition to the range when/if he can get around to it.

Hi,

When he was first asking if there was an interest in these figures and also what people might want I suggested Edwardian Schoolboys as they are very different to the ones later in the century.  It might be worth contacting him via his website and suggesting it again. 

His next group will be railway workers.

• RMweb Premium

A friend of mine models the east End of London in olden times and was quite impressed with the first batch of "Stadden" figures, as I was too.

I asked my friend if there were any suggestions that I should suggest for future figures and his response was "urchins and tarts".

It has been passed on to Mr Stadden!

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear... the more I look at these figures the more I realise that NE is going to have to be modelled initially in 1905 rather than 1935. I'll do both (and indeed 1965) but I don't think I can resist these figures for long... Now should I really let the model people dictate the era of the layout?

Regards, Neil

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear... the more I look at these figures the more I realise that NE is going to have to be modelled initially in 1905 rather than 1935. I'll do both (and indeed 1965) but I don't think I can resist these figures for long... Now should I really let the model people dictate the era of the layout?

Regards, Neil

Neil,

Now why not?  There are numerous figures based in the 30s, 40s & 50s which makes life easy.  I am thinking of trying to have figures on bases that are somehow part of the pavement, road, platform or whatever.  I have no idea how I will do it but it will mean I can change the era if I want to.

However, these are some of the best figures I have seen from anyone, and as they are so detailed they are easy to paint, i.e the bits you want to paint are easy to make out.

Regards, Neil

If the era they're dictating is Edwardian, then yes you should.

• Like 1

I heard from Andrew this morning:

I am hoping the two seated sets will be available next week and the platform staff/workmen sets very soon after that. So yes, there will be four new OO sets out for Christmas, with the HO versions for all four not far behind.

• Like 1