4mm Edwardian figures

Latest from Andrew Stadden:

OO Set 6 Edwardian Workmen sculpts completed.  All made using photo reference from the 1901-1910 period but most of them seemed to use clothing a lot older!

I can now send the Station Staff and Workmen Sets off to my mould maker together.

post-4465-0-89897100-1417462467_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

OO Set 6 Edwardian Workmen sculpts completed.  All made using photo reference from the 1901-1910 period but most of them seemed to use clothing a lot older!

I can now send the Station Staff and Workmen Sets off to my mould maker together.

attachicon.gifOO Edwardian Workmen.jpg

David,

Thank you for the information.  They look excellent.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks for that info Chris. Pre-order now placed. We've waited years for something Edwardian of this quality in 4mm. Now that Andrew has actually put in the effort the least we can do is support him, I think. I doubt that Edwardian figures are a gold mine!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that info Chris. Pre-order now placed. We've waited years for something Edwardian of this quality in 4mm. Now that Andrew has actually put in the effort the least we can do is support him, I think. I doubt that Edwardian figures are a gold mine!

Mikkel,

Have a good Christmas.  Yes you are right.  The problem is that 60 people is a lot for a layout; does not mean that I will not get them all though.  Some of the sitting ladies are destined to get 1895 voluminous sleeves, or perhaps only 1894 styles.

As you see from earlier posts Dart are producing "Edwardian" figures even though they will need back dating.  We have ever had it so good.  There are perhaps enough for everything that we want.

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifOO Edwardian Workmen.jpg

Might these be available in 7mm for those who like things a little bigger.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Might these be available in 7mm for those who like things a little bigger.

Don

Don,

Have you looked at his site for what is currently available in 7mm.  You could always contact him and ask if he thinks it is worth converting some/all of them to 7mm.

• RMweb Gold

Pre ordered sets 5 and 6. I guess I can't make any comment about not being able to use that many people on Newcastle Emlyn in one go... as the layout is still only in planning, so I can't use any yet. But they looked so good I thought I should get something in to paint!

Regards, Neil

Edited by Anotheran
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Pre ordered sets 5 and 6. I guess I can't make any comment about not being able to use that many people on Newcastle Emlyn in one go... as the layout is still only in planning, so I can't use any yet. But they looked so good I thought I should get something in to paint!

Regards, Neil

Neil,

Well if all else fails the Male Voice Choir might want to do an outside concert near he station, then there is the audience of admiring ladies.  the possibilities are, (now) endless.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

They certainly look excellent figures, in another class to the Langley ones. However I wonder, does anyone know of any 4mm figures for a bit earlier, say 1850's to 1870's?

John,

Some of the Preiser 'Edwardian' figures are from about that period.  Also the Airfix Wagon Train set.  I have seen reference to some American Civil War Pioneers/Engineers set which are a good match for Railway Workers.  I saw it on a thread somewhere but cannot find the post now.  Some of the Stadden figures of railway staff will probably double for earlier.  Again you could take the Stadden ones and redo the skirts.

• RMweb Gold

Only a preiser set which may not now be available, actually 1:87 but as has been said elsewhere they come in all shapes and sizes, may be worth a look on Ebay

They do turn up from time to time.  There are other 'Western' types on this link. They also turn up on eBay although I have not looked at their suitability.  The women probably more than the men. Here is the other group I mentioned.

i have got through the men and painted them all but the women are a bit of a struggle on colours i will keep going having looked at everyones efforts on here. They are on my layout thread. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/93006-dettingen-gcr-might-have-been-layout/page-3&do=findComment&comment=1719961

Based on the GCR in the early 20th century.

Thank you for all the inspiration on this thread.

Richard

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

They certainly look excellent figures, in another class to the Langley ones. However I wonder, does anyone know of any 4mm figures for a bit earlier, say 1850's to 1870's?

John, I modified and repainted the Preiser 12139 set for my "Victorian" sessions. That set does seem to be hard to get (although a thorough web search for the ref no. may give results), but if you search for "preiser 1900" you'll see some of the their other sets from around that period. They are of course 1:87, but with careful positioning it works OK I think.

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section

Beards from modelling putty are a good way to backdate these figures - maybe the same could be done with the Stadden figures?

blogentry-738-0-51427000-1294816853_thum

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

i have got through the men and painted them all but the women are a bit of a struggle on colours i will keep going having looked at everyones efforts on here. They are on my layout thread. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/93006-dettingen-gcr-might-have-been-layout/page-3&do=findComment&comment=1719961

Based on the GCR in the early 20th century.

Thank you for all the inspiration on this thread.

Richard

Richard,

Snap, well almost.  I have painted the women but struggle with the colours.  A google of 1900s costume will get lots of images, some in colour.

https://www.pinteres...hion-1900-1920/

http://www.pinterest.com/mwojdak/late-victorian-fashion-1890-1900/

Both are Pinterest so you either have to join or put up with a banner across the bottom.

Then there is this one.  http://www.cymeburleah.com/loveslabour.html

You can always look at my layout which has a link from my signature.  There are more to come as I have more I have painted but not shown, apart from my Christmas message.

• Like 1

I have the Preiser catalogue - so if anyone wants a list of the currently available figure-sets for around 1900 or earlier, just ask - BTW 12046 are passengers for 1847

Thanks (and to all the other answers), I have found that catalogue online. The only doubts are that Preiser are of course H0, but also quite expensive as they only seem to be available pre-painted. The 'Western Pioneer' figiures that Chris N linked to (thanks again) look useful, especially the female figures, though they are said to be a bit big (25-26mm tall) - would hardly go with the preiser ones.

All are possibilities, thanks for the suggestions.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Three packets of pre ordered 4mm  figures arrived this a.m. - sets 4, 5 and 6, together with three complimentary figures. I believe one of these is Stroudley, but he will be promoted to a Director of the LNWR. 

The attached shows three of one the earlier sets I purchased and which were painted by Cat Gibbs of Cats Custom Figures in Ipswich.

post-1191-0-65615000-1421670840.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

My AC Staddon pre-ordered sets 5 and 6 arrived today. Here they are straight out of the envelope. A few bits here and there that I'll need to file away, but I'm really impressed with them. Set 5 at the back, 6 at the front... all standing ankle deep in a mysteriously shaped snow drift that appeared on my table...

post-13426-0-78815800-1421866776_thumb.jpg

post-13426-0-69514200-1421866783_thumb.jpg

The two gentlemen at the right end of the back row, standing rather separate from their companions, were unexpected additions!

post-13426-0-52442200-1421866791.jpg

I'm going to have fun painting them. They'll be the first figures I've painted since I was at university almost 30 years ago!

Regards, Neil

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I emailed Andrew Stadden about his railway figures and he confirmed what I had suspected which was that they have all been modelled on photographs, which he said were taken between 1901 and 1910, although he says that he has seen similar uniforms from about 1870 to 1920.  The figures are, 4 porters, 2 ticket collectors, one guard and three Station Masters or Station Inspectors.

He also said that he intends in the indefinite future, my words not his, to make a set of loco crew and a set of children.  He also said that his HO sets 5 and 6 should now be on sale.

In the words of a Prime Minister, "We have never had it so good!"