4mm Edwardian figures

23 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

He, like many of the Small Suppliers, probably has to balance sales, production, packaging, dispatching, invoicing, etc. with promoting the range, designing and developing new models, etc.

All we have to do is to buy and use them.

Indeed, and most effectively on London Road.

DSCN3904.JPG.aa87440f09f4547352aa3b743e449915.JPG

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

We need to remember that Andy Stadden is not primarily a model railway figure maker.  He is a sculptor, whose main figures are for military modellers, who has made model railway figures as someone asked him to.  The fact that he is showing so much commitment means I suppose he must think it worthwhile both as a commercial interest and as an interesting subject.

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, ChrisN said:

We need to remember that Andy Stadden is not primarily a model railway figure maker.  He is a sculptor, whose main figures are for military modellers, who has made model railway figures as someone asked him to.  The fact that he is showing so much commitment means I suppose he must think it worthwhile both as a commercial interest and as an interesting subject.

And I'm amazed and grateful in equal measure that he makes the figures available in 3.5 mm as well. I've always hoped that he's getting enough orders from Europe and the US! 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Ian Simpson said:

And I'm amazed and grateful in equal measure that he makes the figures available in 3.5 mm as well. I've always hoped that he's getting enough orders from Europe and the US! 

Well, I've bought a set for using rear of scene, as an aid to forced perspective.  Seen here combined with modified 1/100 architectural figures (for even further away!)

DSC_0833.JPG.94ded89e218fe8a15819bf1de7af7506.JPG

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Mikkel has used 3.5mm figures for various things, one being young adults.  I am looking to use a 3.5mm workman as a signal cabin boy.  I just have to make sure I do not use one with a moustache or worse, a beard!

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Love those hats, they remind me of the Goodies, 'Ecky Thump'.

It is not just the difference in height, it is the width.  I tried having a tall man, in 4mm with a short woman in 3.5mm.  My wife thought it looked like his daughter rather than his wife.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 04/04/2019 at 18:03, ChrisN said:

Love those hats, they remind me of the Goodies, 'Ecky Thump'.

It is not just the difference in height, it is the width.  I tried having a tall man, in 4mm with a short woman in 3.5mm.  My wife thought it looked like his daughter rather than his wife.

It annoys me a bit when people go on - 'people are different sizes...' well yes, but as you've pointed out the width is important, just take a look at these esteemed gentlemen, all the same width over their shoulders but famously different heights.

The Class Sketch

• Like 5
  • Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Some further News from Andrew Stadden.  His 3D printed mid-Victorians, from which he intends to make moulds for his pewter figures, have arrived, so mould-making can commence. 

This means that 100 mid-Victorians could be on sale before long (ouch!).

Also he has been designing more loco crews, apparently with a Terrier in mind!

1134618337_AStaddenLocoCrewCAD.jpg.41e67a093c6888801b53c636ec819bbf.jpg

Image copyright Andrew Stadden

For anyone whose childhood featured a trip to the flicks to see Close Encounters of the Third Kind, the layout item posted below is frankly spooky! 

Edited by Edwardian
Picture
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 08/06/2019 at 19:31, Edwardian said:

Some further News from Andrew Stadden.  His 3D printed mid-Victorians, from which he intends to make moulds for his pewter figures, have arrived, so mould-making can commence. 

This means that 100 mid-Victorians could be on sale before long (ouch!).

Also he has been designing more loco crews, apparently with a Terrier in mind!

1134618337_AStaddenLocoCrewCAD.jpg.41e67a093c6888801b53c636ec819bbf.jpg

Image copyright Andrew Stadden

For anyone whose childhood featured a trip to the flicks to see Close Encounters of the Third Kind, the layout item posted below is frankly spooky! 

I know the thread reads 4mm Edwardian figures, can I assume that these will also be available in 7mm....   do you Think?

andy

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, wagonbasher said:

I know the thread reads 4mm Edwardian figures, can I assume that these will also be available in 7mm....   do you Think?

andy

Andy,

He already does, 7mm figures.  The Cambrian loco crew, and maybe others are figures of real people.  He has stated in his blog that using CAD for the originals means he can produce masters in different scales.  I think he mentioned 5 different ones but did not specify which.  Check out his shop, his 7mm figures are just something else.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, ChrisN said:

Andy,

He already does, 7mm figures.  The Cambrian loco crew, and maybe others are figures of real people.  He has stated in his blog that using CAD for the originals means he can produce masters in different scales.  I think he mentioned 5 different ones but did not specify which.  Check out his shop, his 7mm figures are just something else.

I am familiar with his work and I have used them in a number of scales,  just checking that he is doing all things in all scales..

I have started a project modelling Black country steam trams in 7mm.

So, very interested in Victorian figures

As I have to scratch build the steam tram locomotives, the trailers, the track and the streets and all of the buildings I am very keen to have something I can just buy and paint...  

See the project at 'The Trams that Time Forgot' in 'Trams and tramway modelling' here on Rmweb..

Andy

• Like 4

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, GWRSwindon said:

When it comes to railwaymen figures, were there enough differences between uniforms on the pre-Grouping railways to make a difference when purchasing figures?

I do not think the differences between companies was that different, although the colour may have been.  There was obviously a lot of difference between grades and jobs.  Andy Stadden's figures cover all the bases for the end of the Victorian era.  Early Victorian was different and by the end of pre-grouping they were the same up until the sixties, 1960s that is.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

After a long wait, due to Andy Stadden's personal problems he appears to be back in business.  1/43 scale mid- Victorians are on sale but seated ones will soon be on sale in all scales

See in his blog

• Informative/Useful 3

• 9 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Well, now, it isn't just people we might find on our platforms.

Today, I received two promotional emails.  One, and I do not care to speculate as to why I was chosen to receive it, was trying to interest me in Gwyneth Paltrow's "0rgasm Candle", the other, more pertinent, was from Brian Taylor at Smart Models, who does a range of 3D-printed accessories as well as his downloadable building kits.  Often these accessories are "modern image" and about as much use to me as Ms Paltrow's candle, but today he announced:

Pigeon baskets!

1143719717_PigeonBaskets.jpeg.824e6db614f3002a32b6bf507ff713e6.jpeg

They come in 2mm, 3mm, 4mm and 7mm.

Link

Pigeon traffic to Norfolk, do we think?

Edited by Edwardian
Outwitting the Automated Prude
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Well, now, it isn't just people we might find on our platforms.

Today, I received two promotional emails.  One, and I do not care to speculate as to why I was chosen to receive it, was trying to interest me in Gwyneth Paltrow's "0rgasm Candle", the other, more pertinent, was from Brian Taylor at Smart Models, who does a range of 3D-printed accessories as well as his downloadable building kits.  Often these accessories are "modern image" and about as much use to me as Ms Paltrow's candle, but today he announced:

Pigeon baskets!

1143719717_PigeonBaskets.jpeg.824e6db614f3002a32b6bf507ff713e6.jpeg

They come in 2mm, 3mm, 4mm and 7mm.

Link

Pigeon traffic to Norfolk, do we think?

Certainly in the larger scales you could hide a speaker in them with the sound of cooing pigeons.

• Like 3