4mm Edwardian figures

A. C.Stadden's loco crew are here!  Just in time for Christmas.  I have primed my family, but if they miss it then ithey will be a New Year present to myself.

Thank you for the heads-up , order placed, they look excellent .

• Like 1

A. C.Stadden's loco crew are here!  Just in time for Christmas.  I have primed my family, but if they miss it then ithey will be a New Year present to myself.

These look excellent and I think that a combination of the 1860s and the 1900s sets would produce the rather old-fashioned attire, especially when it came to headgear,  that was worn 1890-1910 by crews on the M&CR and doubtless on many other of the smaller and more remote lines.

• Like 4

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I am not sure whether to post this here or start a new topic but Andrew Stadden has just announced that he has just completed the masters of his sitting N gauge figures and his H0 1860s figures. The announcement is on his blog.  In a personal communication he has told me that his H0 armless loco crew are next on his list.  I am eagerly awaiting these as one of the Edwardian figures has a waistcoat that could be a sleeved waistcoat if painted properly.  Being that bit smaller it will go into service on my layout as a 'railway lad', probably in or near my signal box as and when it gets built.  (Such a lad is shown standing in the front of a picture taken at I think Towyn on the Cambrian in about 1880.)  Fortunately not all heads has whiskers.  I know some have said that H0 figures are a better fit in the tight spaces of 00 cabs so they may have a wider use.

• RMweb Gold

I am not sure whether to post this here or start a new topic but Andrew Stadden has just announced that he has just completed the masters of his sitting N gauge figures and his H0 1860s figures. The announcement is on his blog.  In a personal communication he has told me that his H0 armless loco crew are next on his list.  I am eagerly awaiting these as one of the Edwardian figures has a waistcoat that could be a sleeved waistcoat if painted properly.  Being that bit smaller it will go into service on my layout as a 'railway lad', probably in or near my signal box as and when it gets built.  (Such a lad is shown standing in the front of a picture taken at I think Towyn on the Cambrian in about 1880.)  Fortunately not all heads has whiskers.  I know some have said that H0 figures are a better fit in the tight spaces of 00 cabs so they may have a wider use.

Thanks for the info Chris. The HO loco crews could also be useful for 4mm modellers, as it can sometimes be tricky to fit a 4mm figure in a cramped loco cab - and if you do it right the scale difference need not be noticeable.

With Modelu also venturing into the Edwardian period we really are spoilt for figures for that era now. 

• Like 1

With Modelu also venturing into the Edwardian period we really are spoilt for figures for that era now. 

Had not heard that?  I did not notice anything on their site.

Good news, though.

Oddly, they have yet to ask to scan me...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Had not heard that?  I did not notice anything on their site.

Good news, though.

Oddly, they have yet to ask to scan me...

I believe Alan will be adding them to the site shortly. To be precise he calls them "pre-grouping", but at least some look fine for Edwardian days - see: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/114943-modelu-figures-components-july-2017/?p=2769349

I believe Alan will be adding them to the site shortly. To be precise he calls them "pre-grouping", but at least some look fine for Edwardian days - see: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/114943-modelu-figures-components-july-2017/?p=2769349

Many thanks, Mikkel.  Much good stuff here, including pre-Grouping point rodding and chairs.

I absolutely love the musicians, though!

Like something straight out of Thomas Hardy!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The Modelu figures are interesting, I will have to see about the loco crews but the workmen could easily go in the train to the mine on my (yet to be built) narrow gauge layout.

Andy Stadden also said that there would be 1860s figures sitting down and his Edwardian children sitting.  The latter I am pleased about as if they were in coaches and would not sit down then they could be in serious trouble!

• Like 2

Thanks again to Mikkel for linking to the Modelu update.

I am enchanted by this Rustic Mechanicals band, and could not resist re-posting the image here.  Would they pass for Edwardians, do you think?

They are making me think of Maypole dancing on Castle Aching's village green, accompanied by said rustics! 

post-25673-0-97663900-1500646641_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Your layout deserves/needs a set - what a great idea!

Oh, no, I feel the grim inevitability of Edwardian May Pole dancing!

Morris Dancers will be next (unless we can find a way to stop Modelu scanning them!

post-25673-0-89629100-1500660149.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morris Dancers will be next (unless we can find a way to stop Modelu scanning them!

You should be safe from Morris Dancing in West Norfolk in 1905 - the tradition had almost died out by the end of the 19th century, being confined to a handful of villages in Oxfordshire. The revival began when Cecil Sharp encountered a side in Headington Quarry on Boxing Day 1899 - the Victorian equivalent of first contact in Borneo or the Amazon these days.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Came across these today: https://www.shapeway...tionId=62876769.  I wonder if Mark Rylance is amongst them!

They are described thus:

1/72 High detailed 15 different multipose figure Set of Early XX Century Merchant Navy Civilian Sailors.
Figures wear a huge variation of clothes, but with the classic look and headgear between 1900 and World War Two Years.
They are good to crew several types of ships, from fishing boats to steam ships or harbour workers, but also as train crews.

So, probably perfect for an Edwardian Clyde Puffer, trawler or "dirty little coaster"!

They are 3D printed, and the price of previous sets has been around £26, so I don't imagine that they will cost £777 when the price is settled!

Plastic Soldier Review thought very highly of their US Navy sets, so I expect that these figures will be very good.

They are nominally 1/72nd, but I find that many nominally 1/76 figures are more like 1/72, so I would not assume they would prove too large for many. I note that they are happy to re-scale, so modellers in other scales, or those who want a strict 1/76 scale might be in luck. 

post-25673-0-46459500-1502269638.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Came across these today: https://www.shapeway...tionId=62876769.  I wonder if Mark Rylance is amongst them!

They are described thus:

1/72 High detailed 15 different multipose figure Set of Early XX Century Merchant Navy Civilian Sailors.

Figures wear a huge variation of clothes, but with the classic look and headgear between 1900 and World War Two Years.

They are good to crew several types of ships, from fishing boats to steam ships or harbour workers, but also as train crews.

So, probably perfect for an Edwardian Clyde Puffer, trawler or "dirty little coaster"!

They are 3D printed, and the price of previous sets has been around £26, so I don't imagine that they will cost £777 when the price is settled!

Plastic Soldier Review thought very highly of their US Navy sets, so I expect that these figures will be very good.

They are nominally 1/72nd, but I find that many nominally 1/76 figures are more like 1/72, so I would not assume they would prove too large for many. I note that they are happy to re-scale, so modellers in other scales, or those who want a strict 1/76 scale might be in luck. 

They, the company, have had good reviews from Plastic Soldier Review, and he is not afraid to say if he does not like something.  I had not seen these so they must be new.  Still a little late for me perhaps and although £26.00 is not bad for 15 figures I might only use a couple.

• Like 1

Thanks again to Mikkel for linking to the Modelu update.

I am enchanted by this Rustic Mechanicals band, and could not resist re-posting the image here.  Would they pass for Edwardians, do you think?

They are making me think of Maypole dancing on Castle Aching's village green, accompanied by said rustics! 

Now can somebody please explain in easy to understand terms, with a website reference etc, just where these musical figures can be purchased? Maker, address, or references appreciated. I did look on the Modelu site but although plenty of other figures are there, these I cannot trace.

Thanks in advance,

Stephen

Who and what are Shapeways, I thought it was a supplier to 3d printing, do they sell products?

Further searching shows more details, and Modelu still have the Musical Band in development at present, but it will be ordered as soon as available.

All the "Pendon" figures are on order today, apparently a lead time required for printing and delivery. Due to the 3d scanning the figures have got far superior proportions and better poses all round than some other makers. Lets hope the days of poses like startled Cigar Store Indians with Gorilla length arms have gone for good.

Stephen

Who and what are Shapeways, I thought it was a supplier to 3d printing, do they sell products?

Oh, most definitely , "YES!"

https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace/miniatures/trains - just truncate the address to the first "/" if you want to look at more - not necessarily particularly cheap - but very useful when you need specific items like "half-moon trackstops"

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...