4mm Edwardian figures

Can we put an approximate date to that wonderful shot Miss Prism?

It is very late Victorian, early Edwardian, the men's (informal) suit jackets with their rounded edges down from the front to the back - reminisente of Formal wear, became very fashionable in the the late 1890's.  

The quality of the photograph suggest this time too.

The GWR (?) coaches are in the pre. 1908 livery.

The ladies attire, though somewhat stuffy, seems to accord with circa 1900.

The alleged Miss Prism looks to be a Chaperone ?

The gent's hats appear to be in the style of Fedora hats, but these did not become popular until the 1920's, though initially a Ladies hat from 1889.

Both Gents hats are unusual for being, shall we say formal, yet informal without a contrasting (dark / coloured) ribbon around them for the time.

However, a date - Circa 1902 from the Ladies fashions.

All E.& O.E.

Edited by Penlan

The coach is a long Churchward brake 3rd, and I'm fairly certain it isn't a Dreadnought, so my guess it's a 70' Concertina (can't make out the door hangings), so that makes it post-1906.

Are the doors 'flat' or is there a hint of turn-under towards the bottom? Definitely Churchward style elliptical roof though...

I think we are agreed on circa 1908 now.... 
Those of us old enough to know, will know the older you get, you tend to add years to your age,

so people say "my goodness you don't look old enough to be that age" .
That's my apology for '.... circa 1902'.

Meanwhile, have we resolved if that's Miss Prism's Great, Great, Aunt in the background   :jester: 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks again to Mikkel for linking to the Modelu update.

I am enchanted by this Rustic Mechanicals band, and could not resist re-posting the image here.  Would they pass for Edwardians, do you think?

They are making me think of Maypole dancing on Castle Aching's village green, accompanied by said rustics! 

Marvellous!

With a bit of backdating for keyless clarinets, fiddles and a Serpent, as the instrumentalists for the  Mellstock Quire they would be ideal for First Sod Cutting entertainment!

The "Merchant Navy" figures are mostly good for your average 19C/20C industrial worker too.

More hats, dining in style, presumably on route to Liverpool to catch an ocean liner.

attachicon.giflnwr-dining-saloon(small).jpg

"Carruthers, you're eying up that filly in pink again and not listening to a word I say! As I was just saying, according to the brochure it's the largest liner afloat and apparently unsinkable. Should be a fun trip".

"Yes, Carstairs, but this time try not to spend the whole voyage re-arranging the deck chairs.  Do you think she'd be up for a game of deck quoits?" 

"I say, waiter, can we have some ice please?"

• Like 1

"Carruthers, you're eying up that filly in pink again and not listening to a word I say! As I was just saying, according to the brochure it's the largest liner afloat and apparently unsinkable. Should be a fun trip".

"Yes, Carstairs, but this time try not to spend the whole voyage re-arranging the deck chairs.  Do you think she'd be up for a game of deck quoits?" 

"I say, waiter, can we have some ice please?"

They're going to miss the boat then - it left from Southampton, called at Cherbourg, then Queenstown, then stopped for ice.....

Unless they're on the LSWR!

They're going to miss the boat then - it left from Southampton, called at Cherbourg, then Queenstown, then stopped for ice.....

Well, that's a relief.  I didn't want to think of them engulphed  by the tragedy of that dreadful James Cameron film.

• RMweb Premium

Kenneth More went by LNWR in A Night to Remember:

http://www.criterionforum.org/caps/nightrememberblu00001.jpg

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-OZPEntiMgAI/T3fPO7RSofI/AAAAAAAAMMg/Z-dVDSDkMG4/s1600/Kenneth%2BMore__a_night_to_remember_blu-ray_x01_.jpg

Evidently, having heard the Titanic was registered to Liverpool, he got on the wrong train. 

Great footage.  

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Anfield, 1913. Everyone is wearing a hat or a cap.

One of the forgotten aspects of the revolutionary impact of rock and roll in the 50s, was that people stopped wearing hats - apart from anything else, a hat would destroy a carefully coiffured quiff.

• Like 3