Coventry - Nuneaton Line

Thought I might start a thread on the Coventry to Nuneaton branch which might interest some of the locals, starting with some pics taken yesterday (Tues 13Oct) of the water empties coming off the branch at Three Spires Junction and 60077 making up it's train at the Bedworth Murco Sidings.

post-891-12555585751371_thumb.jpg

66198 passing the site of Three Spires Junction with 6A51, the 1140 Coventry Prologis-Wembley empties. The Ricoh Stadium dominates the skyline behind.

Hard to think there was once an eight road marshalling yard to the left of the running lines here.

Was pleased to get 6A51 in sun as the traffic is slated to move to Daventry by the new year.

post-891-12555586516267_thumb.jpg

post-891-1255558669332_thumb.jpg

post-891-12555586924338_thumb.jpg

Three shots of 60077 starting up and then making up the consist for the 6E27 1640 Bedworth Murco-Lindsey Oil Refinery. Murco and Prologis are now the only two remaining sources of traffic on this once bustling line. Fortunately a number of Freightliners also use the line to/from Southampton and yesterday the DBS Willesden-Tunstead routed this way (but of course we were photting the 60 when it rumbled by so no shot :(

Regards

Mike

Nice pictures Mike,

good to see 60077 still up and about,

As I live near Daventry I would be interested in seeing the water train should it come here, I have not descovered anywhere you can get a decent look at DRIFT yet though

• RMweb Gold

Some Good shots there shame you didn't take any of the 153 (DOGBOX) on the Nuneaton-Coventry shuttles how do you get those shots of Bedworth oil terminal you appear to be the wrong side of the fence.

I know this line very well I'm a guard based at Coventry the class 153 is one of our diagrams I've just done my early turn on it 8 return trips !!.

I'll get the timings for you for the water train rob D2 ?

And as for the Pro-logis branch (the old colliery branch) is a nightmare to get to get any decents photo's but if your driving there you could make your way to the Ricoh stadium it is sign posted from the A444 Pro-logis park you go along side the branch for a while until you come to Wheelright lane level crossing if the sun is in the right place it may be ok for a photo ?

Hope this helps

Cov Guard

I was at school between 1976 - 1983 in Coventry, my school was right beside the line, I can remember not paying attention in lessons as Class 25s rumbled past! Unfortunately I only have a few slide photographs of 25s at Coundon Road level crossing when they replaced the gates with barriers.

• RMweb Gold

I was at school between 1977 - 1984 in Coventry, my school was right beside the line, I can remember not paying attention in lessons as Class 25s rumbled past! Unfortunately I only have a few slide photographs of 25s at Coundon Road level crossing when they replaced the gates with barriers.

That wasn't Bablake school by any chance.I remember the coal yard over the road as you could see it from top of No 5 bus.Coundon box is going to be preserved I'm told.

Some Good shots there shame you didn't take any of the 153 (DOGBOX) on the Nuneaton-Coventry shuttles how do you get those shots of Bedworth oil terminal you appear to be the wrong side of the fence.

I know this line very well I'm a guard based at Coventry the class 153 is one of our diagrams I've just done my early turn on it 8 return trips !!.

I'll get the timings for you for the water train rob D2 ?

And as for the Pro-logis branch (the old colliery branch) is a nightmare to get to get any decents photo's but if your driving there you could make your way to the Ricoh stadium it is sign posted from the A444 Pro-logis park you go along side the branch for a while until you come to Wheelright lane level crossing if the sun is in the right place it may be ok for a photo ?

Hope this helps

Cov Guard

Hi Cov Guard

The Murco pics were taken through the fence or gate - no trespassing condoned here!

You wanted Dogbox pictures....

post-891-12556358834093_thumb.jpg

153344 (complete with wheelflat) working 2G45 1245 Coventry-Nuneaton on 13 Oct.

Plus one of the many Freightliners that use the branch

post-891-12556359640359_thumb.jpg

66534 working 4O27 0540 Garston FLT-Southampton MCT on 13 Oct

Will post some older shots later, meanwhile anybody else feel free to contribute...

Mike

Hi Cov Guard

The Murco pics were taken through the fence or gate - no trespassing condoned here!

Will post some older shots later, meanwhile anybody else feel free to contribute...

Mike

Thanks for starting a topic about this branch, I was surprised to hear about the possible loss of the mineral water traffic, although, nothing can be taken for granted any more and I do not keep up to date with the modern scene. Re photography opportunities on the branch, most of the opportunities are from the east side and ther is a no parking policy at Prologis, although if you leave your car in the adjoining side streets you can walk around the site. The only decent spot to get some elevated shots would be from the bank at the back of Kennedy School, but you would have to walk all around the estate site to the end warehouse (Tesco until they leave for the North east) , go through the gap in the hedge and make your way through the side of the hedge up to the top of the bank. I have not been up there for a long time though since they put palisade fencing in around the permimeter so it may be very overgrown.

Cov Guard. Do you have a Saturday time for the train? Ive seen it up on weekdays waiting for the Wheelwright Lane crossing any time between 0715 to 0745 and again about 0930ish. Ive noticed over the last few months its not run daily - reflecting a drop in demand. 66189 was seen working it today. When the image issue is fixed Ive one or two shots taken which I can put up.

Phil

The water currently runs in the early hours to Coventry and splits into two portions at Coventry North Yard due to the load limit on the branch. For a while it was diagrammed a 60 but went to a Shed which can't handle the full train in one go with the stop to operate the crossing. I don't have the times to hand but will try and post them tomorrow.

Here are some shots taken on the branch on 19 March 2007 of what was then 6B42 1317 Wembley Yd-Coventry Prologis Park running unusually in what passed for daylight that day with 66227 in charge. Not sure how the images will display at the moment but if it doesn't work I will repost later when things settle down.

post-891-12560735806203_thumb.jpg

Passing the site of Fosehill station

post-891-1256073729038_thumb.jpg

On the branch at Wheelwright Lane Crossing

post-891-12560737529142_thumb.jpg

Arriving at Prologis Park in a blizzard!

post-891-1256073786623_thumb.jpg

Regards

Mike

Running round at Prologis Park

• RMweb Gold

That wasn't Bablake school by any chance.I remember the coal yard over the road as you could see it from top of No 5 bus.Coundon box is going to be preserved I'm told.

I know one of the signallers who use to work Coundon Road Box it is suppossed to be going to the pontypool and blaenavon railway but i dont know when ?

My dad used to be a signaller at Coundon Road and Hawkesbury I can remember during my school lunch breaks going upto Hawkesbury and having a go in a proper signal box.

I've have had many visits to Coundon Road and working the box !!

And the housing estate now where the coal yard was all the streets are named after mostly Ex Great Western locomotive engineers

• RMweb Gold

And the housing estate now where the coal yard was all the streets are named after mostly Ex Great Western locomotive engineers

I know because they've spelt Collett with one T.

Hi Mike

Would you be surprised to hear me saying that I enjoyed the pics?! I started on BR in Feb 1984 in Nuneaton PSB as a train recorder in the days when Griff Junction was still the fringe box and the route was freight only. Taken on at the same time was Shaun Jasper who later became a signalman in the old Three Spires Junction (the LNWR type 5 box) whilst I ended up the other way at Hinckley.

There was certainly much of signalling interest along the branch (I refer to it as this rather than a backwater). With the closure of Griff Junction absolute block working was introduced between Nuneaton PSB and Hawkesbury Lane - complete with block instruments installed into the panel. Between Hawkesbury Lan and Three Spires was Bedlam Gates which was an LNWR garden shed with 6 levers and hand worked gates. It was a block post in its own right and slotted Three Spires' up home bracket as its starters. On the down no signals were shared. The crossing disappeared under the A444 road bridge.

Hi Mike

Would you be surprised to hear me saying that I enjoyed the pics?! I started on BR in Feb 1984 in Nuneaton PSB as a train recorder in the days when Griff Junction was still the fringe box and the route was freight only. Taken on at the same time was Shaun Jasper who later became a signalman in the old Three Spires Junction (the LNWR type 5 box) whilst I ended up the other way at Hinckley.

There's a coincidence Natalie.

Shaun's locker is above mine in the Mailbox in Birmingham, so I guess he is now a Controller with Network Rail.

Not for much longer though as XC Control are moving out of the ICC and back to our Corporate offices - yippee !!!! No more lousy air conditioning and mice. Oops shouldn'ta mentioned the "m" word ;);)

• RMweb Gold

Hi Cov Guard

Mike

Hi mike

That pic of the Dogbox is awesome even better as I'm the guard on it as I've just checked my journal and yes the wheelflats !!! the unit had just come off exam !!

I have been the drive on the water train many times. The headcode to prologis is 6G64 and for the second half from cov yard is 6G65. The only reason for the move to dirft is the warehouse lost the contract. The train first ran with 2 66's in multipule then 60's on thier own, when the train times were changed the loco's came from wembley (not many 60 drivers) a single 66 became the norm as when the train got to wembley the loco would be used for other jobs in that area. The train is booked to work mon, tues, wed and fridays with thurs and sats as needed. 6G64 is booked from cov yard about 07:15 and 6A51 is booked to leave three spiars jnc at midday but normaly follows the unit to cov which passes by at about 11:20. You can take pic from ricoh's c carpark which the line passes but that would be by luck more than jugdement as it can come down early from prologis and sit at the jnc till time to go, get them while you can!!!!!!!

Thanks for the info on the times and "as required" days. I ventured up this morning but missed the 1st portion as it rumbled across the crossing about 730ish and I didn't have enough time to hang about for the other workings.

post-7359-1256560549428_thumb.jpg

post-7359-12565608195381_thumb.jpg

Attached are two pics from June 2008 with 66101 and the shunter 08375 taken from up on the mound which gives a good high point view

I was at school between 1976 - 1983 in Coventry, my school was right beside the line, I can remember not paying attention in lessons as Class 25s rumbled past! Unfortunately I only have a few slide photographs of 25s at Coundon Road level crossing when they replaced the gates with barriers.

Yes it was. When I first went there in 1976 the track was still in-situ in the coal yard, I seem to remember some mineral wagons there, but don't remember ever seeing anything moving. The old Coundon Road station building was bought by the school and for a while housed the school model railway club. We also had a excellent 'Transport Society' which was actually just interested in railways, teachers used to organise 3 ~ 4 trips every year to BR depots, these would be full days out in the school minibus, with permits to visit the major depots, and goodwill visits to minor depots. Good to hear that the box is to be preserved.

• RMweb Gold

:D A couple from the past of the oil depots on the Branch .One still open as earlier photo's in this thread.Coundon road looking towards Coventry.

scan10022.png

scan10063a.png

Charringtons Sidings Hawksbury lane

Sorry having trouble getting next photo's to load will try again later!

Thought I'd better add some more to this thread. Following on from Dave's pics, some more shots of Charrington's Siding. this was an oil depot on the down side just north of Hawkesbury Lane Crossing and received oil from Thames Haven from the early '60s until closure on 7th May 1986. Usual traction was a 47 Ripple Lane-Willesden, 81-85 to Coventry Yard and a 25 to Hawkesbury.

On 12th Feb. 1986 25035 backs 6M43 0405 Ripple Lane-Charrington's Sidings in with Hawkesbury Lane box in the background.

post-891-12576126767523_thumb.jpg

And berthing the train in the depot

post-891-1257612780751_thumb.jpg

25205 in Hawkesbury Lane Sdgs on 23rd April 1986, having just cut out these six cripples from the consist of 7E53 1342 Charringtons Sdg-Ripple Lane.

post-891-12576131690423_thumb.jpg

25321 passing the site of Fosehill Gas Works Sidings on 21st Feb. 1986 with the 7E53 1342 Charrington's Sdg-Ripple Lane West empties

post-891-125761352374_thumb.jpg

25321 again with 7E53 passing Coundon Road on 23rd Feb.1986

post-891-12576135705721_thumb.jpg

And finally one of those Ped things propelling the empties out on 18th October 1985 taken from Hawkesbury Lane 'Box

post-891-12576137058946_thumb.jpg

I should note all pictures were taken with permission - things were much easier in those days!

More to follow

Regards

Mike

• RMweb Gold

The first two photo's look like Roy Hill Nuneaton Driver!was & still is no doubt very good at the fox trot!!Thanks for those, happy days & good photo's of the wagon details.I hope to recreate a rack of these & the Murco tanks too.Any pictures of those & the Gosford containers welcome!I still cannot get image shack pictures to work?First two did? :rolleyes:

A few more pics of the Murcos:

47142 shunts the Murco LPG Sidings at Bedworth on 17th January, 1983, prior to departure with 7E90, the 1434 empties to Haverton Hill East Grid.

post-891-12576339005887_thumb.jpg

60054 eases 6E27, the 1508 Bedworth Murco-Humber Oil Refinery into Hawkesbury Lane Yard on 28th June 1991, where it will run round.

post-891-12576339832683_thumb.jpg

60054 passes by Hawkesbury Lane Signal Box on 28th June 1991 while running around it's train, the 6E27 1508 Bedworth Murco-Humber Oil Refinery.

post-891-12576341040645_thumb.jpg

60063 in the terminal at Bedworth on 6th May 2005 ready to shunt prior to departure with 6E70, the 1257 Bedworth-Port Clarence

post-891-12576341279479_thumb.jpg

Hope those are of interest

Regards

Mike

Archived