Coventry - Nuneaton Line

• RMweb Premium

Is it me or is this link not working?

I would like to know and see more about this line

Thanks

John (nobby)

Same here

It's still pointing to the fotopic site!

It works if you enter the text as shown into your browser not the hyperlink.

e.g.

http://coventryinphotographs.zenfolio.com/coventry_to_three_spires_junction

Keith

I was a student in Coventry in 1982/83 and was always puzzled as to why there were no trains ever passing over the Walsgrave Road bridge to what appeared to be a reasonably modern container facility. From passing the Humber Road junction by train I could see that the connection had been removed at that end, and cycling round the area I noticed that the connection had been removed at the other end as well, so I had a walk along the line north of Walsgrave Road and was surprised at how much of the still double track had been left in place. Virtually all of the industrial sites that the loop served were derelict, most notable was the morris site.

In all the time I was in Coventry I never saw a train on the Nuneaton line, the nearest I saw was the little NCB shunter in the colliery sidings.

I was a student in Coventry in 1982/83 and was always puzzled as to why there were no trains ever passing over the Walsgrave Road bridge to what appeared to be a reasonably modern container facility. From passing the Humber Road junction by train I could see that the connection had been removed at that end, and cycling round the area I noticed that the connection had been removed at the other end as well, so I had a walk along the line north of Walsgrave Road and was surprised at how much of the still double track had been left in place. Virtually all of the industrial sites that the loop served were derelict, most notable was the morris site.

In all the time I was in Coventry I never saw a train on the Nuneaton line, the nearest I saw was the little NCB shunter in the colliery sidings.

Indeed Suzie.

May parents kept a shop on the Humber Road and the container terminal was busy when loading the blue containers, but it was probably just the one loaded train outbound, and an empty return. Pity it was never retained and used, but that was a result of politics I guess.

I was born in Coventry in 1962 and moved in January 1971

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

What fab memories on this link. From age 3 to 11 I lived in Hewitt ave coundon which backed onto the Nuneaton - Coventry mainline near to coundon rd level crossing. This being from 1975-1983/4 time before moving to holbrooks next to three spires marshalling yard and line to the colliery. A stand out memory was finding the double signals on the exit from the reversing siding heading north towards Bedworth during demolition. These were recovered to my mates shed but were thrown out as rubbish when he moved.... Gutted.... Anyway I have loads more to share... Thanks martin

Hello there.This is THE thread I have been looking for , for I am fascinated by railways in Cov.Theres excellent stuff on here, thanks to all the contributors.

I used live in coventry, off Acacia ave,near Gosford Green and I also remember railways at the Ordnance works and Kingfield rd where used be a bridge; the line was for Webster brick works.

"Incidentally, there is still a short section of rail in the old Dunlop site , as part of the line that ran across Burnaby Road and joined the Coventry/Nuneaton line at Lockhurst Lane bridge. Until a couple of years ago the trackbed was overgrown between the houses opposite where it came out of the Dunlop, then it would have crossed between 24/26 Yelverton Road and down to the Cov line. This short part of trackbed has now been encroached on by householders extending the properties (how legally is another matter). I think there was a yard (Foleshill Station?) that served a number of local firms at this point, which I think is now the Endermere industrial estate (or part of it). There is a photo in existence of the yard being shunted by an 8F I think. I assume this would have been a marshalling point for some of the Courtaulds traffic."

Where exactly is this track please? I couldnt find it on Google Earth.At 40 Burnaby rd, theres looks like whats is remains of a siding or am I wrong?

Thanls

Having gone down Burnaby Road yesterday to drop my son back in Bell Green, I noticed a gated entrance to Stadco with rails still in situ (which I assume was the siding into what was Dunlop?)

Any pictures of the 8F shunting here would be great!!

I'll see if I can get a shot of the tracks disappearing behind the gate......

What fab memories on this link. From age 3 to 11 I lived in Hewitt ave coundon which backed onto the Nuneaton - Coventry mainline near to coundon rd level crossing. This being from 1975-1983/4 time before moving to holbrooks next to three spires marshalling yard and line to the colliery. A stand out memory was finding the double signals on the exit from the reversing siding heading north towards Bedworth during demolition. These were recovered to my mates shed but were thrown out as rubbish when he moved.... Gutted.... Anyway I have loads more to share... Thanks martin

On the track layout at three spires junction and marshalling yard, I have all of this in my memory banks, having traversed this yard many hundreds of times. The gang were paul(supervisor) ginger who rode many locos up and down the yard and Owen who used to operate bedlam lane gates and signals. Many a cold morning spent in there with Owen drinking hot chocolate. When railfreight coal sector were painting up there locos, Cardiff allocated 37213 came in with a train from toton, me and my mate John were asked to come into the yards to take pics, got so many too....

• RMweb Gold

In the mid 80's my father was a relief signaller down the branch covering turns at Coundon Road also at Three spires and Bedlam lane crossing and finally Hawkesbury lane towards the late 80's I wish I had taken photo's when I was a young lad having many box visits and working the boxes with my father.

I'm very good friends with the signaller who worked Coundon road box I visited it several times just before closure and to be honest I'm really suprised both Hawkesbury lane and Coundon road boxes are still standing after the last copule of years.

I believe there was a promise from Network rail that both boxes had been donated to the pontypool and bleanavon railway but nothing has come if it as yet ?

I hope they do get preserved. I was gutted when three spires got burnt down, lovely box inside too. I can remember one of my first visits and there was a double headed class 25 engineers, blue 56s on mgr but to top it was 40180 on a mixed freight, it stopped next to the box as one wagon was smoking caused by dragging brakes and 08920 was on hand to marshal the offending wagon... 08920 was always my favourite shunter

Having just read this thread, I note the requests for plans for modelling purposes. The former BR/OPC collection now housed at the NRM has a number of undated large scale plans, as noted below:

Bedworth OPC Ref:21571, 19491, 19841(pt.2) Station track plans

Bell Green OPC Ref:19827, 19493, 19604 Site track plans

Chilvers Coton OPC Ref:19663, 19842 Station track plans

Coundon Road OPC Ref:19571 Station track plan

Coundon Road sidings OPC Ref:19845 Site track plan

Foleshill OPC Ref:19628, 19843(2), 21799-21800 Station track plans

Hawkesbury Lane OPC Ref:19580(2) Station track plans

Longford & Exhall OPC Ref:19601 Station track plan

For those of a more historical bent, there is a set of 2ch : 1inch coloured plans of the complete line corrected to 1874 in the Cambridge University Map Library under reference Atlas.RLY.1-63.1

I hope this is of interest

Andy

Having gone down Burnaby Road yesterday to drop my son back in Bell Green, I noticed a gated entrance to Stadco with rails still in situ (which I assume was the siding into what was Dunlop?)

Any pictures of the 8F shunting here would be great!!

I'll see if I can get a shot of the tracks disappearing behind the gate......

I did see a photo years ago of an Ivatt 2-6-0 shunting vans across the road from the spur off the mainline into the factory area. I was in the factory area last year, and have photo's somewhere, of the remaining internal lines, goods docks, and areas where there were wagon turntables to place vans into various buildings on the site. The place has pretty much been demolished since then...................I had legitimate access due to the job I undertake..............trying to find the kids stripping copper out of the buildings, if you know what I mean. Not sure what phone they are on though.

It's clear it was quite extensive in there, as Dunlop had a variety of large shops turning out all sorts of items which were wagon loaded.

• 1 month later...

Hello All, new here, and first post!

I'd love to throw some recollections in on the coventry-nuneaton line from the late 70's to early 80's. I used to love it when my Dad drove up the now long gone, Bedlam Lane, and have to stop at the manually operated crossing there. It was if my Dad new exactly what time to go to get stuck. Sunday was usually good, as there was often a 'dmu' service on linking the two towns if one of the main lines was shut. But often there would be a class 25 shunting around.

And to Cov guard... I had a few hours in the coundon road box, Im guessing around 1984 cus I was still at school. There were a few freights went through. Mainly coal/MGRs, and Susie, Im sure I saw the shunter/shunting over the Terry Rd bridge in 1980 when I first started school there!

M

• 8 months later...

Hi,

I wonder if anyone had a detailed layout/ plan of the sidings and related buildings of the Gosford Green Goods Yard. I have recently embarked on a layout in my attic which I would like to incorporate several parts of the Coventry Loop, Ordinance and Market Sidings (formerly Bretts), which I have fond memories from my childhood days in the early sixties. Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks Col

• RMweb Gold

hi Col,

Do you live in Cov? If so, the city record office (used to be in Herbert Art Gallery & Museum) should have copies of Ordnance Survey 1:1250 scale plans of the 1950s and 1960s for the urban areas through which the line ran and these will show track layouts in detail.

I used to go with my dad to the wholesale market at Barras Heath as a young kid (he had a greengrocers shop in Hillfields) and the wagons I remember there were for Fyffe Bananas! This would be in the '70s. We used to use the Binley Road alot (going back and forth from home to town (and the shop) on the number 9 bus), and I can't think of a time I ever saw a train on the bridge near Gosford Green, even though I always kept a sharp look out!

I do remember seeing freight trains at Coundon Road though, and the box and old station there - a bit later, in the early '80s - I may even have the odd photo from back then.

cheers,

Keith

• RMweb Gold

I used to go with my dad to the wholesale market at Barras Heath as a young kid (he had a greengrocers shop in Hillfields) and the wagons I remember there were for Fyffe Bananas! This would be in the '70s. We used to use the Binley Road alot (going back and forth from home to town (and the shop) on the number 9 bus), and I can't think of a time I ever saw a train on the bridge near Gosford Green, even though I always kept a sharp look out!

The Barras Heath market had a siding there it was officially called Banana sidings and the well known Mr Waterman lived just by there in Burlington Rd.

And sadly my uncle was working on the last train along the avoiding line removing track panels there was an article in an old issue of Traction magazine I'm not sure which one off hand but it's a really good read about the branch.

Colin 

(Cov Guard)

Hi Keith & Colin,

Thanks for your responses to my quest, I will send the good wife over to the City Record Office as she only works over the road in the courts.

I think I seem to remember your family greengrocery business, was it in Primrose St, by the Queens Pub? there was a large greengrocer with trestles laden with fresh produce which spilled out onto the pavement.

I used to live in Burlington Road, in fact was born there in 1954, and have vivid memories of goods trains and the fyffes wagons at the sidings at the rear of Powell Road.

Pete Waterman lived on the other side of the Bridge to myself in Burlington Road, his garden backed onto the Wholesale Market, and attended Frederick Bird School with my elder brother and sister.

Occasionally when I was very young and all was still in the evening the odd train would pass and we could hear it whilst we were in bed.

After passing the eleven plus I was dispatched to Binley Park Comp, this meant a walk to Gosford Green to catch the Number 11 bus to school, only a few yards from the Goods Depot. A minor detour on our way home up Northfield road to the iron footbridge and with a leg up from a mate to view the goods yards... happy days

Col

• RMweb Gold

hi Col,

Yes, that was my originally grandad's greengrocer's in Primrose Hill Street - my dad took it over in the late '60s. I was about 4 or 5 when it and surrounding shops were demolished to make way for the new Sidney Stringer School, so my dad relocated his shop up the hill in Victoria Street and he was there til about '89 when he retired. Now that shop too is gone and the area is housing. So much change.

Hope you get on well tracing the maps. If you have problems getting the maps let me know as I can suggest an alternative source (PM me).

I didn't know about Pete Waterman and the 'banana sidings' connection at Barras Heath. The Fyffe wagons have just stuck in my memory for some reason - interesting stuff for such an obscure piece of railway!

all the best,

Keith

Hi melmerby,<br />Yes I have been to the site, lots of smashing photos, but not the detail I wanted to construct my layout, will try City Planning as previously suggested, but many thanks for the info.<br />Col

• 5 months later...

Archived