Kernow MRC announce Cornish Roundhouse, Boscarne Jn box and water column

Andy Y

We are pleased to announce that we have commissioned Bachmann to produce further ready-made buildings in the Scenecraft range that will be exclusive to Kernow Model Rail Centre.

Cornish Roundhouse - Modular OO Gauge

prod_38804.jpg prod_38804_2701.jpg

The roundhouse is a modular system designed to fit around a Heljan or Peco turntable.  Each unit is a single road train shed which can be placed alongside further train sheds.  A pack of outer walls is then used to finish off the complete roundhouse.  At 325mm long each train shed is capable of housing a large pacific steam locomotive.  Direct product link available by clicking on the images below: -

prod_38804.jpg 44-007Z Bachmann Scenecraft Roundhouse Unit £69.99 (£66.99 pre-orders - delivery expected late 2013)

prod_41194.jpg 44-008Z Bachmann Scenecraft Roundhouse External Walls £27.99 (£24.99 pre-orders - delivery expected late 2013)

LSWR Type 3 Signal Box - Boscarne Junction - WR or SR Decoration OO Gauge

prod_41196.jpg prod_41195_2690.jpg

Based on the LSWR Type 3 Signal box in use at Boscarne Junction and many other locations, features removeable roof and name board.

Size 100mm x 42mm x 89mm approx.  Available with WR or SR decoration.  Direct product link available by clicking on the images below: -

prod_41196.jpg 44-011Y Bachmann Scenecraft LSWR Type 3 Signal Box WR £44.99 (£39.99 pre-orders - delivery expected late 2013)

prod_41195.jpg 44-011Z Bachmann Scenecraft LSWR Type 3 Signal Box SR £44.99 (£39.99 pre-orders - delivery expected late 2013)

SR Bloom Water Column OO Gauge

prod_41201_2683.jpg

Dimensions: 82mm x 32mm x 55mm approx.  Direct product link available by clicking on the images below: -

prod_41201.jpg 44-120Z Bachmann Scenecraft SR Bloom Water Column £22.99 (pre-orders £19.99 - delivery expected late 2013)

We have created a dedicated web-page on our site to list these new items and also our existing range of OO exclusive buildings: -

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/page/62/Bachmann_Scenecraft_Limited_Editions

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

More geographically-themed specials from the Best in the West.  One item ordered thus far though I have my eyes on another.  Trouble is I might then end up with too many signalboxes for any forseable requirements.  The stonework on the 'box looks to be an improvement on their Wadebridge release.

What a brilliant range! I'm sure the signal box will sell very well. 

Regards,

Nick.

I should like to think so, even though the Type 4 is perfect for my purposes, and I already have a choice of a brick and a stone version.

Been nagging Chris for Ages, I wear him down .........eventually.

Latest nag is a SR Cornwall station building bit of Padstow, Camelford, Splatt etc!!!

Again, not my perfect choice for an ex LSWR r-t-p station building, but getting too close to reject should one become a fact. The principle of the bird in the hand......

PB

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Been nagging Chris for Ages, I wear him down .........eventually.

Latest nag is a SR Cornwall station building bit of Padstow, Camelford, Splatt etc!!!

For anyone who can't find the last-named on their maps the SR named their station in the village of Splatt after the next place up the road.  Presumably Splatt didn't sound suitable for a railway location but Tresmeer did.

This is how Tresmeer station looked 14 months ago when I was last there.  It's one of a few stations on that route still standing in good order; numerous others are in states of decay while some are almost entirely obliterated.

122346-M.jpg

Looking towards Padstow - but no more lazy hissing of steam locos or creaking of wheels.

122352-M.jpg

• Like 2

HI

I really fancied 9 of the roundhouse buildings, but on mapping the footprint I cannot get them to align with my Fleischmann Turntable, unless I am doing something wrong. Which I probably am, as the Heljan turntable also has 7. degree steps, so should be the same? 

Shame :(    Oh well back to the scratch build idea I  suppose.

Edited by Kal

• RMweb Premium

If the model is as good as the artwork. I cancelled my order when I saw the finished Wadebridge box.

Fully agree. The Wadebridge box was a great idea and I pre-ordered one based on early artwork but was very disappointed with the stonework. Blocks were way too small and regular. Really hope they get that detail right this time.

Like the roundhouse, I can think of a use for 9 modules should we ever forget the buildings for Diesels in the Duchy again!

I wonder what's next in the local buildings range?

• RMweb Gold

St Blazey

Well, while roundhouses were common enough in British practice, they are usually disguised by being a rectangular building with the whole structure including the turntable roofed over. Off hand I can only think of Guildford, (along with Portadown and Clones in Ireland) that had the stabling radiating from the turntable enclosed but the turntable itself in the open air, apart from St Blazey. So I can see why this model is perfect in Kernow's specially commissioned Cornish series, rather than a mainstream release. The water crane though ought to be applicable right across the LSWR territory from Waterloo to Wadebridge unless someone knows differently.

• RMweb Premium

Very nice round house but I don't think my pockets could with stand a complete one or my ears for that matter when the wife found out.

I must admit that was my first thought on seeing the pricing structure for the components, particularly as the roundhouse sections will by definition be a multiple purchase. Though I've no doubt that it's a fair price given the work and materials going into the product, it does make me wonder if limited run resin casting is the way to go for large structures.

• RMweb Premium

It's well thought out in my opinion simply because it is designed in a modular fashion.

Few of us might be able to accommodate a complete or half roundhouse because of space quite aside from cost considerations.  Kernow has designed a means by which each of us can have as few or as many modules as we require which ought to maximise the appeal of the structures.

You do have to factor the R&D costs over a fairly small number of units sold through a single outlet with every link in the chain needing to turn a profit.   I have no problem with the listed prices.

• RMweb Premium

Padstow station building or bust....Camelford is wrong way round.  Much like the original stone signalbox. (I have my prejudices)

Camelford has a unique 'look' for the line as it appears to be built of crazy paving slabs! (IMO)

Egloskerry and Tresmeer were built of brick - both are in good condition and one is a B&B.

On the whole the stone built ones seem to have suffered most in modern life - 1 demolished, 1 surrounded by a housing estate, 1 now a dis-used council office, 1 converted to a (now closed?) museum, and the others in various stages of run-down occupation. Out of the lot I'd vote for the Padstow station building for production. It's got a canopy and is a very popular modelling location.

• RMweb Premium

1 converted to a (now closed?) museum

The National Cycling Museum at Camelford closed some time ago.  The site is now private and operates as a caravan and camping site with the station building still extant though barely visible from anywhere public.  All other traces of the trackbed through the Camelford / Camelford Station area have long gone.

• RMweb Premium

The National Cycling Museum at Camelford closed some time ago.  The site is now private and operates as a caravan and camping site with the station building still extant though barely visible from anywhere public.  All other traces of the trackbed through the Camelford / Camelford Station area have long gone.

i think it closed shortly after I visited it a few years back on holiday. The family went to see the bikes, i went to look inside a NCR station building! I knew there was a reason I didn't like caravans....

That's a shame. It was good. I'll be drinking my afternoon coffee out of one of their mugs!