Kernow MRC announce Cornish Roundhouse, Boscarne Jn box and water column

Andy Y

Here we go; I've just had these items in for review.

44-007Z Bachmann Scenecraft OO Gauge Cornish Roundhouse – individual shed

44-008Z Bachmann Scenecraft OO Gauge Cornish Roundhouse – pair of external walls

44-007Z_Kernow_Roundhouse_3.jpg

Kernow Model Rail Centre have commissioned component parts to create a Cornish Roundhouse engine shed based on that at St. Blazey Depot near Par. The resin-cast individual sheds available for £69.99 plus postage are designed to be combined to make a shed to the size the modeller would like and can be used around a Peco or Heljan turntable.

44-007Z_Kernow_Roundhouse_1.jpg

44-007Z_Kernow_Roundhouse_2.jpg

To finish the roundhouse a pair of external walls available at £27.99 plus postage is required to fit at the outer ends of the shed.

44-008Z_Kernow_RoundhouseWalls_1.jpg

The elements combine to make a very impressive structure, St. Blazey shed had nine such bays but it would certainly be possible to create a model that gives a similar flavour with a few less. Each shed has internal walls with cream-painted brickwork and separately packed resin-cast wooden doors. The shed parts are really well packed so there’s little risk of any damage in transit.

This is a limited edition of 500 individual sheds with over a quarter already sold and can be ordered from Kernow Model Rail Centre’s website or by calling them on 01209 714099.

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/product/38804/44007Z_Bachmann_Scenecraft_Cornish_Roundhouse

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/product/41194/44008Z_Bachmann_Scenecraft_Cornish_Roundhouse_External_Walls

44-007Z_Kernow_Roundhouse_4.jpg

44-007Z_Kernow_Roundhouse_5.jpg

44-007Z_Kernow_Roundhouse_6.jpg

44-007Z_Kernow_Roundhouse_7.jpg

• Like 3

LSWR Type 3 Signal Box

44-011Y_WR_BoscarneSignalBox_1.jpg

Kernow Model Rail Centre have commissioned Bachmann Scencraft to produce an LSWR Type 3 Signal Box as formerly found by the level crossing at Boscarne Junction station featuring a stone base with timer supports to one end of the box. The box, limited to 500 pieces, is available in either BR(W) brown/cream decoration or BR(S) green/cream and over 75% of the pieces have already been sold, the WR version is available immediately with the SR version available in July. The £44.99 (plus postage)model includes two equipment boxes

Both signal boxes can be ordered from Kernow Model Rail Centre’s website or by calling them on 01209 714099.

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/product/41196/44011Y_Bachmann_Scenecraft_LSWR_Type_3_Signal_Box_WR_

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/product/41195/44011Z_Bachmann_Scenecraft_LSWR_Type_3_Signal_Box_SR_decoration

44-011Y_WR_BoscarneSignalBox_2.jpg

Southern platform-mounted water crane.

44-120Z_OO_SR_WaterCrane_1.jpg

Kernow Model Rail Centre have commissioned a typical platform-mounted Southern Railway/Region water crane from Bachmann and is now available for £22.99 plus postage with a small heating brazier included. This is a limited edition of 1000 pieces with half of the run already pre-ordered. The crane is resin-cast and as such is not movable but the water hose in particular is a very plausible moulding. The crane will look particularly good inset into the platform surface.

The water crane can be ordered from Kernow Model Rail Centre’s website or by calling them on 01209 714099.

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/product/41201/44120Z_Bachmann_Scenecraft_SR_Boom_Water_Column_and_Arm

44-120Z_OO_SR_WaterCrane_2.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I can confirm that the SR water crane and the Boscarne Junction signal box are superb little pieces.  Both arrived here some little time ago and are awaiting the more advanced stages of construction on the new layout.  

I agree with the comment that the hose looks very realistic and I even had to go back to the model to check it was actually resin!  There is a very fine - and rigidly moulded - chain which extends from the bottom of the hose and which might be both overlooked and easily broken but on the whole the structures seem to be very robust and are also very well packed by both manufacturer and retailer.

The signal box has a "bag of bits" neatly tucked inside along with a tissue-wrap for the two equipment boxes and the stairs.  The large sign is user-applied and could be substituted with another name of choice if desired sourced elsewhere.

I would dearly love to have space to accommodate the roundhouse units as well but cannot find a home for them alas.  They too look superb in the photos.

• 7 months later...

To go with the Boscarne Junction theme Kernow MRC's ground frame box has just arrived.

Ground_Frame_1s.jpg

This model is exclusive to Kernow Model Rail Centre and is a typical LSWR Ground Frame hut. Although based on the example at Boscarne Junction they were common throughout the LSWR system. Ideal for use with 44-011Z LSWR Type 3 Signal Box which is in stock again.

Available now the the price is £14.99 each plus postage and at this time 50% of the limited edition run of 500 has been sold.
  • Like 1

Kernow's Boscarne Ground Frame Hut is similar to the North Ground Frame at Norden on the Swanage Railway. This ground frame hut had eventful history. After being rescued from British Rail it was used as a waiting shelter on the down platform at Harmans Cross before being moved to Norden.

post-17621-0-15203500-1414747164_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-52451300-1414747199_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Apparently due to over ordering Kernow are offering the LSWR signal box now at £19.99.   Scenecraft is not a favourite of mine, nor are other resin type buildings, but at that price I've given in!

Apparently due to over ordering Kernow are offering the LSWR signal box now at £19.99.   Scenecraft is not a favourite of mine, nor are other resin type buildings, but at that price I've given in!

Would have preferred the SR version but like you succumbed to the bargain and for an hour's work and a small tin of paint I reckon I can adjust it for less than £20 :)

• Like 2

Mine has just arrived, excellent service by Kernow as usual, and I'm surprised at the advances resin buildings have made recently.  All square and no dodgy angles, steps and additional 'bits' commendably fine.

As with cromptonnut above a quick repaint in LSWR colours and it's done!  

• 4 years later...
  • RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, GWR8700 said:

Just seen the Boscarne Junction Type 3 Signal box is out of stock.  I could have sworn they had loads in when I last looked not too long ago. Anyone know if these Bachmann Kernow products are often reissued?

These days it's pretty much one batch and gone. Given the long period between original stocking and the shelf being empty, I'd not be holding my breath for more. I can confirm they are quite nice, though.

22 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

These days it's pretty much one batch and gone. Given the long period between original stocking and the shelf being empty, I'd not be holding my breath for more. I can confirm they are quite nice, though.

That's a shame, I'd been keeping an eye on them for when I had the money available, I was rather surprised to see they have suddenly gone.  Pity as I was just about to buy one.  Gutted.

If anyone is wanting to flog one, let me know...

Edited by GWR8700
  • Friendly/supportive 1

16 minutes ago, GWR8700 said:

That's a shame, I'd been keeping an eye on them for when I had the money available, I was rather surprised to see they have suddenly gone.  Pity as I was just about to buy one.  Gutted.

If anyone is wanting to flog one, let me know...

I've never heard of this company before, but they say that they have a second hand one for sale for £15.

https://www.classicrail.co.uk/PBSCProduct.asp?ProductName=44-011z++LSWR+TYPE+3+Sig+Box&PGFLngID=1&ItmID=32569496

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I believe some of the Kernow buildings have recently been offered as "virtual show specials" and as such might now be out of stock if the last few have been cleared.  The Boscarne 'box is a good one and has been slightly modified here to become a passenger halt ticket office.  

8 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

I believe some of the Kernow buildings have recently been offered as "virtual show specials" and as such might now be out of stock if the last few have been cleared.  The Boscarne 'box is a good one and has been slightly modified here to become a passenger halt ticket office.  

Thanks, that would explain them suddenly disappearing.  Seems to be the same for the Truro Signal Box too.