Manna's Workbench, D2, Sentinel, Q1, N1, D3, a pair of J3's, C2, J6 +others

G'Day Gents

This is a follow up on the J15 conversion thread, as I said in that thread I've a few more conversion's, most of which are from Hornby 'stock' but with a few others thrown in for good measure.

Right, the next loco, is one I've always wanted, but couldn't afford, an LNER D2, she's not quite finished, but will pull 5 coaches, without to much trouble. I started with a cheap Tri-Ang L1 chassis that I bought off of E-Bay for 99p, this is the one with the brass frames and mazack spacers, You'll find that the XO4 motor sits far to high for a D2, so like the G5 I've had to lower the motor to fit, again I've fitted one of those cheap little Hornby motors, I dug out nearly the Mazack under the old motor, so that the new motor would fit 'between the brass frames (see pics) Now as usual the wheelbase is a bit 'out' 4mm or 1ft.....but I can live with that, and when one of the major RTR boys bring out a fully detailed D2, I'll retire it, but in the meantime :senile:  So after getting that far I thought I'd start on the body, the plans came out of an old Railway Modeller, December 1972, after 40 years of sitting on the shelf, I was actually going to use it, and guess what, it was the wrong plans, I wanted the straight running plate not the curved,  ah well, I still used the plans but penciled in the straight running plate (same length ) running plate is plastic card, the boiler is a length of conduit, plus a few more bits of plastic and I had a very basic D2, using the chassis as a guide I cut out the splashers, the the coupling rod spashers, by this time I'd also added the buffer beam and buffers and a few other bits, that helped to glue it together, (the chimney and dome are temp)

manna

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/74823-mannas-workbench-d2-sentinel-q1-n1-d3-a-pair-of-j3s-c2-j6-others/

DSCF0222.JPG

DSCF0217.JPG

DSCF0210.JPG

DSCF0238.JPG

Edited by manna
Replacing content
  • Like 10

G'Day Gents

After filling around the smokebox and fixing the cab, it was time to give her a try, even in white it looked good, the body fitted but when I turned the power on the coupling rods hit the underside of the coupling rod splashers, it didn't matter how much I filed out it was never going to fit, using the old Tri-Ang wheels it had pushed the coupling rods out to far, so I had to order some Romfords, with those fitted and a pair of scratchbuilt coupling rods, I had a working chassis again, and one that fitted the body, the chimney came off of a Lima J50 and the dome from Thomas, never waste anything :no:

Ther's not left to do, I want to adjust the spashers as there a bit narrow and finish the lining, bit she's working for a living already.

manna

DSCF0255.JPG

DSCF0103.JPG

DSCF0104.JPG

Edited by manna
Replacing content
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

I do like your style of modeling after reading your other topics I thought I'd give your way a go. Bought two jinty's of ebay and the drawing from railway modeller caledonian 439 class so When the princess is done. my next model will be a 493 Keep up the great work.

• Thanks 1

G'Day Gents

Glad you like the style of modelling, not a lot of model shops in the almost outback, so I have to make almost everything.

Here's a quicky 0-6-0 build, but this one use's a old Hornby Dublo/Wrenn chassis, I built a K's J3, it's not a very good runner, so I built another out of the Dublo chassis, which is a good runner, I cut the runningplate out of plastic card again, and used a bicycle pump for a boiler ( the boiler is a bit over scale ), the secret is to get the boiler down as low as you can (see pics) you can see how much I cut out of the Dublo/Wrenn chasss, I used the K's J3 as a template, so it's close ! I'm using a B12 tender for the moment, but one day I'll have to batch build half a dozen GN tenders.

manna

DSCF0095.JPG

DSCF0100.JPG

J3-20.JPG

painted J3.JPG

Two J3's.JPG

Edited by manna
Replacing content
  • Like 8

G'Day Gents

Reading through a railay book about a year ago, I read that Sentinel railcars were used in the early 30's on the Edgware branch, which is my main modelling project, well I had to have one, tried E-Bay, way over the top, so I'll just have to build one, looking at a old Gresley Brake 3rd, I thought it's got the right shape body and roof, so I started to strip all the detail off of the body sides, then putting it next to some plans, it certainly looked right, so far I've removed all the body detail and built two cabs, the engine room end has had it's chimney fitted, today I've been down to Adelaide and bought the clear plastic for the windows.

I have a Lima, HST motor bogie, and a short wheelbase bogie for the other end, the runningplate is from a Trix, Trans Pennine unit, that I picked up cheap from E-Bay, piccy time.

manna

DSCF0092.JPG

DSCF0093.JPG

Edited by manna
Replacing content
  • Like 3

G'Day Gents

Work on the Sentinel is going forward, I've started to cut out the doors on one side, looks a bit messy at the moment, but it is coming together.

manna

DSCF0109.JPG

DSCF0110.JPG

Edited by manna
Replacing content
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

G'Day Gents

Still working on the railcar, sinve my last gripping installment, I made up the doors and fitted the window frames along one side of the railcar, I start the otherside shortly, see what you think, but it is starting to look like a Sentinel.

manna

DSCF0133.JPG

DSCF0132.JPG

DSCF0131.JPG

Edited by manna
Replacing content
  • Like 11

G'Day Gents

Quite a lot is original, 90% of the roof, under the windows, and between the doors, I've even saved the cut out guards doors and reused them as the drivers door at the other (non powered) end.

manna

• 3 weeks later...

G'Day Gents

More happening on the Railcar, but slowly, as Mill Hill is off to a show on Monday.

I've been working on the paneling along one side, now I have to turn it around and do the other side, the chassis frame is from an old Trix, trans pennine DMU, just needs to be shortened.

manna

post-19471-0-09893700-1380841717_thumb.jpg

post-19471-0-82546700-1380841759_thumb.jpg

post-19471-0-46354000-1380841815_thumb.jpg

post-19471-0-78659500-1380841855_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Dear Manna

I have just found your thread and I am impressed with your models. I will watch your sentinel build with interest as I have always fancied building one but had not worked out a way of building the glazing bars and making them strong enough. I had not thought of glueing them to the glazing itself for support.

Could I ask how you built the great northern cabs? I can't think how to do the curves on to the roof.

looking forward to your next instalment. thanks

David

• Like 1

Hi Manna

What a superb thread with brilliant locos, its amazing that they are all scratch built with plasticard, a real inspiration to me (as i am also a scratch builder as well and also hoping to scratch build an engine in the near future) so I will be following this thread with interest and to pick up tips. cant wait to see the finished railcar.

David beat me to it, but may I also ask how you did the curved roof on the cab?, as it looks fantastic (and a lot of GNRI locos had them)

Many thanks

Nelson

G'Day Gents

Thank you for your interest, right, GN cabs, I find the best way that suits me, is to make the sides and roof square (pics lower down the page)   where the roof and sides meet you need to fill in, on the inside of the cab with a triangle of plastic (4 or 5mm, sides) glue well, and let dry, next day, you can start filing away the outside of the cab, curving it as you go, you MAY have to add a bit more to the inside of the cab, (flat plastic) until you get the curve you want.

You may also have to use some car body filler to get it real smooth, the GN cab can be time consuming to get right. I would try this method out on scrap first. Good luck.

manna

post-19471-0-32745000-1380921160_thumb.jpg

post-19471-0-43456400-1380921205_thumb.jpg

post-19471-0-99132200-1380921257_thumb.jpg

post-19471-0-41004300-1380921308_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

G'Day Gents

I've now finished the paneling on the other side of the railcar, and have shortened the chassis to fit the body, (sorry no pics yet) so still lots to go.

A while back I started to rebuild a Hornby A1/A3 to Humourist, with the experimental smokebox and chimney, I'm still doing a bit now and then, and have now reached the painting stage, this is how it went.

manna

post-19471-0-50915200-1382137173_thumb.jpg

post-19471-0-17600900-1382137203_thumb.jpg

post-19471-0-68492800-1382137262_thumb.jpg

post-19471-0-35953000-1382137310_thumb.jpg

post-19471-0-20204200-1382137823_thumb.jpg

post-19471-0-50915200-1382137173_thumb.jpg

post-19471-0-17600900-1382137203_thumb.jpg

post-19471-0-68492800-1382137262_thumb.jpg

post-19471-0-35953000-1382137310_thumb.jpg

post-19471-0-20204200-1382137823_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Hiya Manna

I like your method for making GNR cabs. I shall have to try it. I have tried other methods with plasticard and had no success. I wrapped the plasticard around a wooden former, and applied solvent to the bend, but it didn't work too well. 

I have used a similiar method to your's to make the flare on a GNR tender, so it will be just more filing and filling.

I did attempt make a cab from brass sheet for my J1, but it ended up too narrow. It looked nice with brass wire soldered around the edge for the beading, but my measurement must have been faulty.

How do you make the beading on the GN cab?

I shall look for some plastic rodding when I next visit the model shop. The shopping list is getting longer and longer.

Earlswood nob

• Like 1

G'Day Gents

Hi, EN, I made a GN cab in brass once, for my Q1 Long Tom, I still have it, it's about 30 years old now, I will use it one day, on the Long Tom !

I've only done one with the beading round the cab, first I found the thinest plasticsheet I could, then cut strips about .5mm -.75mm, and then glueing the strip to the edge of the cab, it's very fiddley and you may have to do it in pieces, I left mine overnight to dry,  I then gently filed it back with a fine nail board, till it's just proud of the surface, remember the thickness of the paint though, I should have left mind a little bit prouder

manna

• 3 weeks later...

G'Day Gents

Been playing around with some tenders and with the seats for the railcar, heaps of the little beggers,  your mind tends to wander after the first half dozen, but I have finally finished the seats and glued them to the floor, I've started on the end panels for the inside of the railcar, hopefully the inside will be finished by next weekend, here's some pics.

manna

DSCF0042.JPG

DSCF0043.JPG

DSCF0044.JPG

Edited by manna
Replacing content
  • Like 11

G'Day Gents

Thanks for the replies, Jonathan, I painted the floor, a light brown, a kind of generic lino  (Humbrol 110 matt) the seats (Humbrol 70 matt) and under the seats in matt black, I'd give you a colour picture, but at the moment I can't get the pic. out of the camera.

manna

PS, I finally managed to get the pics out of the camera, amazing what you can do with a can opener and sock filled with custard :jester:  hope there of some help.

manna

DSCF0049.JPG

DSCF0050.JPG

Edited by manna
Replacing content
  • Like 7

• 2 months later...

G'Day Gents

Hope everyone had a good Christmas and New Year.

Still working on the Railcar, but it's getting closer to the end, the coal hopper and new air vents have been fitted to the roof, and old BR Mk1 bogie has been cut down to make a trailing bogie, and when finished will look fairly close to the real thing, I've a packet of press studs to fix the motor. Anyone know what colour the curtains were in the railcars ??

Also renumbered a Bachmann V1\3 to 2911, as she was shedded at Kings Cross for a while in the 30's, and 'may' have worked to Edgware.

Here is the first pic of my new build an LNER J1, She has a old Airfix N2 chassis, stripped of almost everything, the body will be plastic card, the tender will be powered, ex Hornby Schools unit.

manna

post-19471-0-47552100-1389741909_thumb.jpg

post-19471-0-21364300-1389741949_thumb.jpg

post-19471-0-38935000-1389742013.jpg

post-19471-0-57104700-1389742045.jpg

post-19471-0-57750400-1389742307_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

G'day Gents

Been working on the J1, I made another boiler out of a bicycle pump, it's the right size, made a couple of splashers, and I've had to cut the cab down as I had made it 2mm to tall, here's a couple of pics.

manna

post-19471-0-73734600-1390205532_thumb.jpg

post-19471-0-63357400-1390205579_thumb.jpg

• Like 8