Manna's Workbench, D2, Sentinel, Q1, N1, D3, a pair of J3's, C2, J6 +others

G'Day Folks

Some progress, on the B2, all the filling in on the splashers plus rubbed down, cab has had the windows removed and filled in with plastic card then cut out, which is where I'm at the moment.

And, just to muddy the water, I've started to scratchbuild my first chassis, I cut it out 40 years ago !!!, all I've done is drill the pilot holes, it was to be for a Ivatt Q1, we'll have to see what happens.

manna

DSCF5300.JPG

DSCF5302.JPG

DSCF5301.JPG

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

G'Day Folks

Bit of this and a bit of that, at the moment, ideas flowing thick and fast, so trying to see if they are possible. First up the B2 has had a coat of undercoat, then I knocked off the stepladder I was letting it dry on, result, a 'Hairy' engine and scuffed paintwork, clean up now and a second coat applied.

I need another 'Mainline' brakevan, but to be different, it'll be a 'Tourist' brake, I had a load of bits left over from the 'Tourist twin' I built a few years ago, still using a Hornby Thompson coach as a bases.

Three 'Kirks' have been acquired, an all Third, an All First, and a three Compartment brake, all had the wrong bogies, they have been replaced and they need painting.

manna

DSCF5309.JPG

DSCF5310.JPG

DSCF5314.JPG

DSCF5315.JPG

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

G'Day Folks

Small update, B2's had a coat of green paint, makes it look different, (forgot the dome !). Chassis had a X03/4 fitted, newer type wouldn't work only buzzed, so I replaced it with and older one, away it went ?, pick ups also fitted +con rods, bowed out on the first revolution, they are for the 'Newer' type of 0-6-0, Ah well, good job I have some older con rods to.

DSCF5323.JPG

DSCF5324.JPG

• Like 17

• 2 weeks later...

G'Day Folks

Progress on the Tourist open brake, both sides (almost) finished, but the chassis is still to do.

Dug out a C12 tank, which has been sitting in a draw doing nothing, as I haven't fitted the couplings ( Dumb-ass) it's been on the workbench to-day, some 'RED' lining has been stuck on, lamp irons, couplings, bit more still to go.

manna

DSCF5351.JPG

DSCF5352.JPG

DSCF5357.JPG

DSCF5354.JPG

DSCF5353.JPG

• Like 14

G'Day Folks

Tried fixing the chassis on the second C12, I've been using a s/hand Hornby 0-4-0, no joy, so I checked out a 'Modernish' Hornby 0-6-0, the wheelbase is a little bit out, but not to far, swopping the wheels over, and the axles, all the gears meshed, messed around with the pick up's and after a good clean, away she went, now all I have to do is cut down the chassis. this is were we are at the moment. I want to see Double Headed C12's

manna

DSCF5362.JPG

DSCF5363.JPG

DSCF5365.JPG

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

G'Day Folks

Managed a couple of hours in the shed, spread over a couple of days, the top of the Hornby 0-6-0 has a couple of 'Live' wires that would have touched the brass cab if I hadn't moved the wires and removed some of the brass, there is a rather large hole at the back of the cab, but easy to fill with plastic card and coal.

manna

DSCF5367.JPG

DSCF5369.JPG

DSCF5371.JPG

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

G'Day Folks

Lost interest with the C12 at the moment, but I'll come back to it ! Had a chat with my son, he's wrapping up all my E-Bay buys, a couple of weeks should see a load of 'Goodies' arrive, including a kit built B1 (Thompson) that needs a new motor, or a good clean, can't wait, so many loco's are waiting parts Etc.

To keep my mind occupied, I've started a new loco ( that's original) on a Wrenn R1 chassis that arrived six months + ago, this time it's a GNR J9 or a LNER J7, but because it is suppose to have smaller 4'8" wheels I may change it to a more modern Hornby 0-6-0 chassis later ( don't have one of those now, see the C12 build, doah). this one shouldn't take long.

In the second picture, you can see the cab covered in 'Bulldog' clips drying.

manna

DSCF5418.JPG

DSCF5421.JPG

• Like 13

G'Day Folks

Well things change, as I said, I was going to fit a Hornby chassis to the J7, as it had the right wheel size and was only 2mm out on the wheelbase, well rummaging around, I found a forgotten K's J3 chassis, trying a Hornby axle in the chassis I found it was a perfect fit, the rest of the afternoon was spent filing the flanges down on a set of Hornby wheels, these are now quarter and fitted, a bit more has been done on the body. I now have two Hornby Dublo/Wrenn 0-6-0 chassis spare, but they are not going to waste, a start on another J3 has commenced. Hope I'm not boring anyone with these builds.

manna

DSCF5422.JPG

DSCF5423.JPG

DSCF5424.JPG

DSCF5425.JPG

DSCF5426.JPG

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

16 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

You gotta be kidding!

I love your ingenuity and the speed you can work at, keep em coming.:good_mini:

G'Day Folks

I asked because I've put up a lot of  0-6-0 builds over the years, and thought you may be getting sick of them. woodcock29 came around a couple of weeks ago, and asked how many 0-6-0's I had, we saw 10, I've just done a better inventory.

As it stands.  

J1, x 2

J3, x 3

J4, x 2

J6, x 1

J15, x 1

J17, x 1

J19, x 1

J39, x 2

plus a J3 & J7 being built, +another 0-6-0 chassis, nearly forgot the SECR C1 0-6-0, ( GBL, motorized)

With all that lot, I think I'll call it quits on 0-6-0's...........................until I get the calling again!

PS, another 'Chris P Bacon' 0-6-0 chassis is still in the UK, that'll be for the J5.

manna

Edited by manna
Added content.
  • Like 6

G'Day Folks

A bit of progress, starting to glue the bodies together, and bodyfiller in the usual places, rather 'Hot' today so not much done. Yesterday saw the 'K's' chassis have another spacer screwed in place, as it was slightly 'bowed' out, on the center wheel set, it now bows in very slightly, motor also glued in place.

The J7 now has wheel splashers fitted to the rear two sets of wheels.

manna 

DSCF5427.JPG

DSCF5429.JPG

DSCF5431.JPG

Edited by manna
  • Like 10

Hi Manna,

I thought I was a fast worker. I mean I have just finished my Drummond tank engines and am nearly finished updating a H/D Castle. But in that time you seem to have what seems like a dozen models. My head is spinning........ :)

Keep up the good work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, cypherman said:

Hi Manna,

I thought I was a fast worker. I mean I have just finished my Drummond tank engines and am nearly finished updating a H/D Castle. But in that time you seem to have what seems like a dozen models. My head is spinning........ :)

Keep up the good work.

G'Day Folks

Hi Cypherman. Not dozens. LOL. a couple maybe, and some of those were only ones I had nearly finished, the J3 and J 7 are the only new ones I have started in the last two weeks. A small update on those, on the J7, front splashers fitted ( courtesy of Thomas ), the little 'Ears' are the tops of the springs, and the cab cutout has been errrr, cut out, the J 3 has had it's cab filled where necessary and a general tidy up.

manna

DSCF5433.JPG

DSCF5438.JPG

DSCF5436.JPG

DSCF5437.JPG

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
On 08/11/2020 at 23:01, manna said:

G'Day Folks

I asked because I've put up a lot of  0-6-0 builds over the years, and thought you may be getting sick of them. woodcock29 came around a couple of weeks ago, and asked how many 0-6-0's I had, we saw 10, I've just done a better inventory.

As it stands.  

J1, x 2

J3, x 3

J4, x 2

J6, x 1

J15, x 1

J17, x 1

J19, x 1

J39, x 2

plus a J3 & J7 being built, +another 0-6-0 chassis, nearly forgot the SECR C1 0-6-0, ( GBL, motorized)

With all that lot, I think I'll call it quits on 0-6-0's...........................until I get the calling again!

PS, another 'Chris P Bacon' 0-6-0 chassis is still in the UK, that'll be for the J5.

manna

No layout can have too many 0-6-0 tender engines.

• Agree 3

G'Day Folks

Not a lot of time to-day, got to build a workbench, but I did have a 'Play' with the J3, it's a J3, but not as we know it, this is one of the M&GN orphans, I doubt it ever got anywhere near Edgware, but who knows. This one fell out of the ugly tree, stovepipe chimney and a Fowler type smokebox door. ( from a Jinty). Don't laugh to loudly, I don't want it to get upset.

manna

DSCF5441.JPG

DSCF5444.JPG

• Like 10

G'Day Folks

Time for another update, the J3 was painted to-day, doesn't look any better, the J7 has had most of it's bits glued on including it's sanding rods (that took a while). Not happy with the Hornby wheels, I feel a change  coming on.

manna

DSCF5448.JPG

DSCF5452.JPG

DSCF5453.JPG

DSCF5449.JPG

DSCF5450.JPG

DSCF5456.JPG

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

G'Day Folks

Well the 'Ugly' J3 has had another coat of Satin paint and looks a little better, at least now it has a number, still a bit of work to go, cab windows and steps along with the handrails (never seam to have enough handrail knobs) I'm going to leave it in it's clean state as I believe they were overhauled at Stratford in 1937/8 period.

manna

DSCF5459.JPG

DSCF5460.JPG

DSCF5461.JPG

DSCF5462.JPG

DSCF5466.JPG

• Like 16

G'Day Folks

Still needing things to do, two loco's that have been sitting around in unlined green, have been treated to some lining, the B2 is still waiting for it's axles, but I can still get everything else done, plus the bodge job B12 to a C1 has also been lined, I was half way though it before I realised that the B12 lining didn't match the C1 ( which I should have filed off) no matter it'll only be used on goods trains a couple of times a Decade.

manna

DSCF5468.JPG

DSCF5469.JPG

DSCF5472.JPG

DSCF5474.JPG

DSCF5477.JPG

DSCF5475.JPG

• Like 16

G'Day Folks

Change today, two A1's. I said when I hacked up the old 'Great Northern' that she would live again, well a tender drive Flying Scotsman has been modified to resemble (roughly) 4470, painted and lined a old 'Fat' tender body.

The second is going to be 4474 'Victor Wild' another A1, that was fitted with a corridor tender, for a while, this one is a mixture, it's a modern A1/3/4 chassis, which I managed to pick up on E-Bay a few years back as part of a job lot of four for 12 pounds, I've been slowly buying the bits to rebuild it to running condition. I'll only put up a couple of pics as my computer, is playing up 'Big time'

manna

DSCF5488.JPG

DSCF5490.JPG

DSCF5492.JPG

DSCF5496.JPG

Edited by manna
Better picture.
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...

G'Day Folks

Been a while since I did an update, my Computer did crash, but not before I backed up all my photos, my mate had to wipe everything and reformat it to get it to work again, so I'm still trying to work everything out.

Nothing major going on, I drifted back to the Tourist brake open, had a couple of coats of paint but the cream is still a bit thin and a tidy up is in order.

manna

DSCF5549.JPG

DSCF5548.JPG

• Like 9

G'Day Folks

I've started my last J3, I was looking through a box of odds and *ods, and found a brass running plate, all cut out, so I popped it on a Wrenn R1 chassis, low and behold it fitted, no idea when I cut it out, Decades ago, I've Araldited it to some thin plastic sheet, a cab was constructed and a boiler cut out, which is were I am after 24 hours.

I'm having trouble reducing the size of the pictures, so only two at a time, first one shows the cab being glued together, the second one is a rough idea how it'll look.

manna

DSCF5550.JPG

DSCF5554.JPG

• Like 13

• 4 weeks later...

G'Day Folks

Time for an update, but first, A Happy New Year to everybody.

Slow progress on the J3, Christmas got in the way !! cab cutout done, some handrails, done and a coat of paint, so we are at least moving ahead.

I have a 'Wish List' for this year ( no more J3's) a J5 will take to the tracks, sometime, and new wheels will be ordered soon for the J7,  A W1 Hush Hush, in streamlined condition will hopefully go ahead and a B8 'Glen-almond' 4-6-0, and maybe another GN Atlantic, which I started early last year, lets hope this year is better than 2020.

manna

DSCF5585.JPG

DSCF5586.JPG

DSCF5596.JPG

• Like 11