Manna's Workbench, D2, Sentinel, Q1, N1, D3, a pair of J3's, C2, J6 +others

On 01/11/2023 at 10:42, Captain_Mumbles said:

AS mentioned earlier, KX IS remarkably compact!

I nearly got it to fit into my loft as a through station with some terminus out the back. Even though my layout is already designed and track work is going down, I sometimes go back into templot when bored and try to get KX in just in case my brain works better and I get it to fit....

Unfortunately I have an inconvenient corner that always stops me. Those terminus platforms would only be good for 3 coaches and loco.

KXmumbleton.jpg

High Captain,

You could get it to work with longer platforms. But you would need to simplify the trackwork. Get rid of the kickback siding and all the associated double slips and crossovers. That would allow you to lengthen the outer platform following the track. Where the lower 2 lines run now the complicated pointwork has gone after the double slip/crossover it looks like you are using a lefthand point. Swing that piece of track out and use a righthand to swing it back into line a little further out. Or just get rid of it all together and use a single line into the platform. I would put a run round between the top 2 lines as well. Complicated trackwork is sometimes not practical.

I decided to see if I could come up with a similar platform area track plan that would allow you to do what you wanted that would fit into your space. Looking at the grid spaces and assuming that they are in feet, You have about 11.5ft in length to play with. Which is about 3.5m. The plan I have drawn up in Anyrail which basically does the same with longer platforms. Please note that the crossovers are really single or double slips depending on how you want them to operate( I could not find the slips icons to use them). The length of this plan is 3 metres long(9ft 10ins). Well with in your 3.5 metres(11.5ft) length. I hope that this may be of some inspiration to you.

Then I tried to make it a bit more compact and more like a 4 road terminus. So came up with a slightly altered track plan.

new plan 5.jpg

new plan 6.jpg

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 01/11/2023 at 03:42, Captain_Mumbles said:

AS mentioned earlier, KX IS remarkably compact!

I nearly got it to fit into my loft as a through station with some terminus out the back. Even though my layout is already designed and track work is going down, I sometimes go back into templot when bored and try to get KX in just in case my brain works better and I get it to fit....

Unfortunately I have an inconvenient corner that always stops me. Those terminus platforms would only be good for 3 coaches and loco.

KXmumbleton.jpg

No doubt you've thought about rotating the plan 180 degrees ? The whole plan would flow better too!

Just a thought.

Regards Shaun.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks 

Time for an update, been pottering with the house but taking a bit of time out to build Loco's. The J3 is back at the top of the list, I didn't like the 'Green' runningplate, not right, so I started again, but using the cab and boiler, couple of days saw the footplate and splashers replaced, so it now looks more like a J3 than it did before. Attention was then turned to the tender, I had already made the tender chassis, so I was only the body to build, couple of days and I have a reasonable Stirling tender. But all modelling has stopped for a while as I've packed everything away, as I'm heading back to SA for a couple of months. But everything is coming with me. See you in December.

manna

DSCF7013.JPG

DSCF7018.JPG

DSCF7019.JPG

DSCF7021.JPG

DSCF7022.JPG

You've got a lot of cool models there.

Hopefully you get to continue your building!!!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, cypherman said:

High Captain,

You could get it to work with longer platforms. But you would need to simplify the trackwork. Get rid of the kickback siding and all the associated double slips and crossovers. That would allow you to lengthen the outer platform following the track. Where the lower 2 lines run now the complicated pointwork has gone after the double slip/crossover it looks like you are using a lefthand point. Swing that piece of track out and use a righthand to swing it back into line a little further out. Or just get rid of it all together and use a single line into the platform. I would put a run round between the top 2 lines as well. Complicated trackwork is sometimes not practical.

I decided to see if I could come up with a similar platform area track plan that would allow you to do what you wanted that would fit into your space. Looking at the grid spaces and assuming that they are in feet, You have about 11.5ft in length to play with. Which is about 3.5m. The plan I have drawn up in Anyrail which basically does the same with longer platforms. Please note that the crossovers are really single or double slips depending on how you want them to operate( I could not find the slips icons to use them). The length of this plan is 3 metres long(9ft 10ins). Well with in your 3.5 metres(11.5ft) length. I hope that this may be of some inspiration to you.

Then I tried to make it a bit more compact and more like a 4 road terminus. So came up with a slightly altered track plan.

new plan 5.jpg

new plan 6.jpg

8 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

No doubt you've thought about rotating the plan 180 degrees ? The whole plan would flow better too!

Just a thought.

Regards Shaun.

Thanks for your input. That is not so far from how it is going. As I am laying my own point work it is taking me some time.

So we don't have to hijack Manna's thread,

You can have a look at how it is all going here:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

G'Day Folks

Back again down South. I had the company of my son this time, He flew out to Townsville, ( From a cold Heathrow) where I picked him up from the airport, and a lot warmer. We spent nine days driving across Oz, driving a 4WD with a caravan on the back was a first for him, after nine years apart we had a lot of catching up to do, I almost lost my voice. The day after I arrived in SA, I caught Covid, I had been avoiding it for a good few years.

Now it's time to resume modelling. I've had it in my head for a few years to build/convert a J52 into another variant (I think a J54, but I could be wrong) It's a Stirling engine, no dome and a open cab. I forgot to take a couple of early pics of the start. But I think you'll work out what I'm doing, give us shout if you need more info., Seven mm was taken off of the back of the cab, the bunker was cut down to 1 mm above the handrails, a  (generally) square cut out was filed into the cab openings, these were then filled with plastic card, after gluing and filling, the cab cut outs were reshaped to a larger opening, which is where I am at the moment.

While I'm here, I would like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy new Year.

manna

DSCF7038.JPG

DSCF7040.JPG

DSCF7041.JPG

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

45 minutes ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Back again down South. I had the company of my son this time, He flew out to Townsville, ( From a cold Heathrow) where I picked him up from the airport, and a lot warmer. We spent nine days driving across Oz, driving a 4WD with a caravan on the back was a first for him, after nine years apart we had a lot of catching up to do, I almost lost my voice. The day after I arrived in SA, I caught Covid, I had been avoiding it for a good few years.

Now it's time to resume modelling. I've had it in my head for a few years to build/convert a J52 into another variant (I think a J54, but I could be wrong) It's a Stirling engine, no dome and a open cab. I forgot to take a couple of early pics of the start. But I think you'll work out what I'm doing, give us shout if you need more info., Seven mm was taken off of the back of the cab, the bunker was cut down to 1 mm above the handrails, a  (generally) square cut out was filed into the cab openings, these were then filled with plastic card, after gluing and filling, the cab cut outs were reshaped to a larger opening, which is where I am at the moment.

While I'm here, I would like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy new Year.

manna

DSCF7038.JPG

DSCF7040.JPG

DSCF7041.JPG

Good to see you modelling again and to hear of your reunion touring with your son.

Here's to a happy and healthy Christmas and New Year.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi Manna, good to see you back, and that looks like an interesting project!

Hope the Covid isn't too bad; there seems to be quite a lot of it around in the UK, not sure what Aus is like.

Anyway, all the best for Christmas and the New Year!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

G'Day Folks

Covid wasn't to bad, aches and pains for about a week, coughing, blocked nose etc. Just like normal flu.

The J54? is a must have after seeing a 'top of the coaling stage picture' showing 3 or 4 of that type of loco at Hornsey MPD, resting between shunt jobs, some with domes, some without.

Thank you for the Christmas wishes.🙂

manna

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Great stuff Terry. Fantastic that you had some quality time with your son. Must fly my son over in 2024 ( it’s been 10 years). 

Looking forward to seeing how the J54 turns out, have also fancied converting one!

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

G'Day Folks

Thank you for the Christmas and New Year, Greetings and Wishes. Another year is here and what will it bring, for me, I hope to start the new layout, but first more work on the old house, hope it doesn't take to long !

Not a lot of modelling has taken place over the Christmas period, got to get back in to it. A bit of progress with both the J54 and J3, the J54 has had it's bunker flares fitted, the J3 has had it's tender flares fitted plus it's boiler bands, nearly ready for painting. but it'll have to wait for the handrails, I've no idea where they are.

manna

DSCF7052.JPG

DSCF7053.JPG

DSCF7054.JPG

DSCF7055.JPG

• Like 15

• 2 weeks later...

G'Day Folks

Time for an update. The J3 has had a coat of paint, just to see what it looks like, but there more parts to finish it. 

I visited 'Woodcock 29' on Monday, had a very pleasant time watching his trains go by, an generally talking trains. I came a way with a nine coach, 'Coronation' set (unmade) which he had been holding for me for at least 10 months, All I need to do now is finish the house, build a layout, then build the coaches, No sweat (lol).

manna

DSCF7063.JPG

DSCF7064.JPG

DSCF7065.JPG

DSCF7059.JPG

DSCF7060.JPG

DSCF7061.JPG

DSCF7062.JPG

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 1

• 5 weeks later...

G'Day Folks

Pottering along, bit here bit there, no great progress, But the other day a parcel arrived, with a older type chassis for the N7, some bits and bobs, plus the Kit Built V2, paid about 35 quid, it's been dropped, so damaged bufferbeams loco & tender, buffers damaged or missing, cab roof broken off, but on the plus side, good modern Romford wheels, 5 pole motor and valvegear all in one piece and working. Both bufferbeams have been straightened, new brass buffers fitted, motor and gears adjusted, runs now with a battery, but not with the body on  (have to have another look at that) a new loco to tender connection has to be made, it the future, a strip and repaint will be needed.

For Christmas/Birthday my son bought me four Brass J50 chassis from 'Chris-P-Bacon', one will be for a J50, the other's I'm not sure on yet, but another or two J6's wouldn't go amiss, but the last one.............maybe a J2 !! seeing as I don't have one yet.

manna

DSCF7079.JPG

DSCF7080.JPG

DSCF7086.JPG

DSCF7083.JPG

DSCF7085.JPG

DSCF7082.JPG

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
On 17/02/2024 at 02:50, manna said:

For Christmas/Birthday my son bought me four Brass J50 chassis from 'Chris-P-Bacon',

He should have said they were for you, I’ve a couple of other bits I would have thrown in that might have ‘come in handy’. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

He should have said they were for you, I’ve a couple of other bits I would have thrown in that might have ‘come in handy’. 

G'Day. I said to him 'Get me a couple' he got me four. Bonus for all of us.

manna

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Those Mailcoach Coronation sets are a bit of a challenge mate. Assembly is quite straight forward, same as any Kirk coach but painting around all those windows will take a month of Sundays! The other way is to use “Maskol” and air brush but I think painting on the maskol will be even more interesting to say the least. 
Either way, I shall look forward to seeing how you get on. 
The V2 looks nice. Always been a firm favorite just what a loco should look like 👍 

Regards from the soaking wet Pacific North West, Shaun 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

painting around all those windows will take a month of Sundays!

An interesting idea I read somewhere is to use the interior colours as undercoat on the sides so they show through the transparent plastic.   I haven't tried it but it's perhaps an easier way to paint them as the raised windows frames will make masking and cutting in easier.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

G'Day Folks

Thank you for the advice on the Coronation set. Not sure on how I'll go with them but it's going to be a while before I get around to them, maybe a couple of years.

A couple of cab handrails have been rebuilt or replaced on the V2, no pics yet, but shortly.

manna

• Like 4

G'Day Folks

As promised, the new/refurbished cab handrails, followed by the extension to the rear of an old Tri-ang 0-6-0 chassis, as you can see it's for a N7.

manna

DSCF7088.JPG

DSCF7089.JPG

DSCF7090.JPG

• Like 8