Manna's Workbench, D2, Sentinel, Q1, N1, D3, a pair of J3's, C2, J6 +others

G'Day Folks

The R1 has advanced, a fair bit over the last couple of days, cab and boiler have been made up and sat upon the rest of the body. I'm fairly lucky as the motor sits quite low, lower than the top of the tanks, so I fitted a sheet of plastic between the tank tops and then cut a very large chunk of the boiler out, the rear of the boiler sits on the top of a box covering most of the motor (see pics)

manna

DSCF3658.JPG

DSCF3657.JPG

DSCF3662.JPG

DSCF3664.JPG

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Definitely too high and the front of the cab should extend further over the side tanks.  The side sheet in front of the cut out needs to be almost twice as long as it is,  Copy that bit of the drawing and stick it to the plasticard to cut out? 

G'day Folks

Sorry about that, I missed a whole sentence out. wife called me for dinner.I should have put in that I'm building the later rebuilt version, with the taller shorter cab, I don't have that plan, the plan I have, is the version built for use on the Widened Lines , I'm working off of the RCTS, green book, which give's the cab size, I have made another cab, I'll put up a pic tomorrow.

manna

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

G'Day Folks

Been busy on other thing including trying to finish off Edgware station, but I've also had a go at a couple of GN wagons given to me by Chris P Bacon, I bought a couple of Cambrian 9' wagon chassis, and modified them, I think they turned them out OK

manna

DSCF3708.JPG

DSCF3709.JPG

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...

G'day Folks

Instead of going back to the R1 and P1, I want to get the D3 working, I've fixed up the tender drive that was half finished, and finished off the D3, I had to do the inside of the cab, fit lamp irons, and screw the body to the chassis, still a couple of loco's to go, next up is the J1, that's been hanging around for a few years.

manna

DSCF3732.JPG

DSCF3733.JPG

DSCF3734.JPG

DSCF3736.JPG

• Like 16

G'Day Folks

Well, the J1, was going to be next, but it's decided to fight me all the way, so I shunted it onto a dead end siding and got on with the C2, bit easier to sort out, I had it running not long after I built it, but it wasn't very good runner, but it is now, all the little bits have been finished off, and I had it running the other day, she moved 10 coaches, I wouldn't say with ease, but it did move them around the layout, it was far happier with 5 coaches and two  CCT's, which all it really needs to do, as it's due to be withdrawn in the next few weeks, of course on Edgware, it'll never come. Back to that J1......it won't win. lol.

manna

DSCF3738.JPG

DSCF3739.JPG

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

G'Day Folks

Corbs, I thought that to, after I built the D3, I looked at it, and thought, if I can build a D3 I can build a C2, big family likeness in H A Ivatts locos.

manna

Edited by manna
  • Like 1

G'Day Folks

Big departure from 'Normal' if I can be classified as normal, I took a innocent old Jinty chassis, and hacked almost everything off of it, removed the wheels motor, then replaced the wheels with the 'Next Gen' Hornby wheels and one of there small motors, as I wanted to fit it into a GBL 'C class loco's', but still have the cab clear, I bought the C class a couple of years ago, thinking at the time it could be motorised, luckily it comes apart quite easily, with a bit of cutting and filing, I had it running in a couple of hours, should have it finished today.

Now I only have one problem, 'How do I justify it at Edgware' ??? Transfer freight from Ashford!

manna

DSCF3741.JPG

DSCF3745.JPG

DSCF3747.JPG

DSCF3748.JPG

DSCF3744.JPG

DSCF3742.JPG

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Hi Manna,

I am assuming that the pictures shown a re just a loose fit for the body atm. As the wheels are a considerable way off centre to the wheel splashers.. But it is nice to see the old GBL engines getting rebuilt.

G'Day Folks

Hi cypherman, You are right, it is, only just sitting on the chassis, I've taken a bit more off the body and the chassis, have managed to bring it down a bit, but only a bit, the con rods are almost hitting the underside of the running plate, the tender has been raised a tad, to line up with the loco. Also I think the wheels are a bit small. Latest pic below.

I was hoping to have this all done by now, but the TV, decided to play up, so I spend an enjoyable couple of hours on the phone to the manufacturer, sorting it all out (now fixed)

manna

DSCF3754.JPG

• Like 2

G'day Folks

The C class has had a little bit of work done on it, all helps.

But I've been back to the B1, a tender chassis has been made (same time as the C class) and fitted to the ex GBL D11 tender, it's also been repainted, and the numbering and letters applied, bit more to go. But a bit more done

manna

DSCF3758.JPG

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

G'day Folks

I've restarted work on the R1, still waiting for a few more 'Bits' to restart 'other' engines.

I removed the body from the R1 runningplate, reusing only the boiler (extended) and the small cab, the coal bunker and tanks are all new, I wasn't happy with it, so it's better to redo it now.

manna

DSCF3765.JPG

DSCF3766.JPG

DSCF3769.JPG

DSCF3774.JPG

• Like 10

I think the R1 is an interesting design. 

I like the high cab as fitted to the rebuilds with a larger boiler, when they moved away from London.

Most of the rebuilds were fitted with cage tops to the bunkers, but I've seen pics at Colwick without the cage.

I started a R1 a long time ago. It was built around an old Cotswold Q1, with plasticard tank, cab, and bunker. 

However, I then decided to convert the Q1 to a Q3, which left the boiler free. I now need to scratchbuild a footplate to take the spare boiler and plasticard add ons.

One small point is that I'm not sure that the R1s worked in London with the high cab. I'll research that and let you know, but Edgware is your railway, and you can run what you like.

Keep up the good work, for I get inspiration for my own conversions from efforts like yours.

Malcolm 

• Like 1

G'Day Folks

Thank you Thane of Fife, some of the Early R1's did work up to Edgware, the short cab's, a couple of tall cabs worked Hornsey C/S and ECS to and from Kings Cross in the early 30's. 3137 & 3156, being the last two left, my version will be 3156. I'll be using it on stock transfer, between Hornsey and Highgate C/S.

manna

PS, Buffers fitted in the last hour.

• Informative/Useful 1

G'Day Folks

Thank you Malcolm, I try to do a bit of research and get the right type of loco that worked in the London area at some stage in there life, I don't always succeed, but most GN loco's passed through ( J2's were a bit rare).

manna

G'Day Folks

Hi Alex, Copy away, it's why I put my loco hacks up, if you do go ahead, you will have to use the older type coupling rods, as the 'newer' type wont allow the wheels to rotate, took me a while to work that out, I had to cut the pins off and file down the stubs then punch out the remains, to get a hole, Any problems, give us a shout.

manna

• 2 weeks later...

G'Day Folks

Back for another update, the R1 continues to progress, with the bufferbeams and buffers fitted, splashers made and fitted, trim also fitted around the tank tops.

The 'Green' D2 that featured on page one has now been repainted to black, it was always meant to be black, but I couldn't acquire any 'Yellow' numbers at the time, so it got painted green with 'Gold' numbers, which I did have. See pic below, but with the wrong tender.

I managed to pick up a LNER suburban Brake third, at a bargain price $10, I've replaced the bogies and the windows as they were covered in Brown paint, it's also been 'Teaked' along with another 'Brake Third, that I already had in BR Crimson, this at least allows me to run two 6 coach trains on the Edgware branch.

manna

D2, now in Black..jpg

DSCF3785.JPG

DSCF3786.JPG

DSCF3788.JPG

DSCF3789.JPG

• Like 9

G'Day Gents

Cold here by Aussie standards, just about got to 10c, so it was stay inside and see what we can do, the R1, has had a coat of paint, just to see what it looks like........:wacko:, so we'll leave that for a while.

The P1 is 'Slowly' coming together, lot's of 'bits', at the moment I've got them all balanced/bluetacked together, all I have to do now is put it all back ??

manna

DSCF3795.JPG

DSCF3792.JPG

DSCF3793.JPG

DSCF3794.JPG

• Like 12