Manna's Workbench, D2, Sentinel, Q1, N1, D3, a pair of J3's, C2, J6 +others

G'Day Folks

I've also started the 'Other' chassis I bought off of Chris P Bacon, this one went together just as easy, I've fitted 5'8" wheels, this will become another J1, I ummed and arrred over whether I should build a J2, but they we rare in the London area J1's seem to be a bit more common, Another chassis has been bought from Dave, that one will become a J5.

manna

DSCF4825.JPG

DSCF4826.JPG

DSCF4828.JPG

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

G'Day Folks

No more work on the J6, except soldering on the pick up points underneath (heavy brass).

Still trying to clear a logjam of 75% finished locos, so it's been Atlantic to the fore, I've had to make new cylinders and fiddle and fart about to get everything to run together, but we've got there, I had it running very smoothly on the layout yesterday (well it is only a Hornby Castle with the rear wheels cut off), I had it pulling 6 coaches, there is only a little extra weight inside. I'm going to connect up the rear trailing wheels as a extra pick up point. Here's two pics of the Atlantic, first complete, then taken apart for chassis painting

DSCF4834.JPG

DSCF4835.JPG

• Like 16

Terry,

just spent a couple of hours reading through this thread. Very inspirational.  Looking forward to reading about your next projects

Apologies for all the Likes!

Paul

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

G'Day Folks

I'm glad you enjoyed my ramblings. I have a few loco's that'll be coming up in the future, a couple of GC loco's, a c4 and a B8, but I'm flexible, a couple of 'K' classes from the GN. A couple of J's 3&4, plus the J1 and J5, so I'm going to be busy.

manna

• Like 1

On 07/05/2020 at 16:22, richard i said:

I agree with flying fox, I follow and learn, I rarely post as I have little I can add which is constructive. I model the gc so how to achieve those classes always piques my interest. 
richard

G'Day Folks

Hi Richard.

The C4, I'll probably go down the same route as the B1, Scotsman chassis. The B8, I've been thinking along the lines of a 'Grange' chassis and a scratchbuilt body, the chassis is only a mill or so out, wheels only an inch out !!

Most of the lining on the C1 is now finished, few touch ups, the B17/5 also has had some lining done, not to  happy though, especially around the smokebox, two different type of transfer, and they don't match, so I'll have to get some more.

manna

DSCF4844.JPG

DSCF4842.JPG

Edited by manna
Added content.
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

2 hours ago, Buhar said:

When considering an RTR chassis I am always struck by the distinctive balance weights on GWR locos which rules them out for me.

Alan 

File them out or cover with plasticard of the right shape, or somewhere in between. In a B8 the splashier covers a lot of the wheel so will not see it all the time. 
richard 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

G'day Folks

times been a bit short lately, so not a lot done, but I have managed to get the J6 chassis running, very smooth and quiet, a bit more work on the loco yet, and brakes have been fitted, that's a first for me.

manna

DSCF4853.JPG

DSCF4855.JPG

DSCF4856.JPG

DSCF4857.JPG

• Like 11

G'Day Folks

Cypherman, yes I glue the motors in place, for this one I've used a Hot Glue gun (same as the G1), I let the hot glue gun get really hot, then get the  gun very close to the bottom of the motor, then a quick squirt, and a push down on the motor, you don't get long.

manna

• Like 1

G'Day Folks

Revisiting the R1, I started to make the con rods, a while back, but when I ran it, as it was the wheels all went out of quarter, they were moving on there axle's, so yesterday I had another closer look, it was only one that was mucking everything up, so after quartering it again, I superglued the B***** back into place, (seems to be working, but time will tell), the XO4 has been removed ( it was loose) and a new Hornby 5 pole black motor is being tested to fit, it just fits in the space available, but the worm will stick out.

Couple of pics of the J1, the running plate will have to be lowered, and the back of the chassis has been removed + a bit of the front.

manna

DSCF4878.JPG

DSCF4876.JPG

DSCF4877.JPG

DSCF4879.JPG

DSCF4880.JPG

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Great thread Manna, very inspirational!

Loved the N2 - N1 conversion. I've got a spare body which might just have to get cut and shut. You made it look so easy.

Keep up the good work...

Shaun

• Thanks 1

G'Day Folks

Hi Shaun, lets say it was a 'Fun' project, it wasn't to difficult, a lot of cutting and getting it all square. Also getting the internal weight to a correct shape was a bit of a pain, but the N1 is a favorite and gets a lot of running.

manna

• Like 1

G'Day Folks

Been working, on a couple of C12's and the R1, I've got one of the C12's working well, )4511) Cotswold chassis scratch built body, the second C12,  (4503)is fighting back, the modified Hornby chassis has bigger wheels fitted and a small can motor, the pick ups have been glued to the motor, making a neat little unit, and works OK, but is a little 'light', this is to go under the Cotswold C12 body, which supplies the weight, but it won't run right, after a lot of study, I've worked out the the body is twisted and when it's screwed to the chassis, twists it out of shape I've modified the chassis to allow it to run better, but it's ongoing.

The R1's chassis is also fighting, I've got it running, but not to my satisfaction, again ongoing.

manna

DSCF4915.JPG

DSCF4920.JPG

DSCF4922.JPG

DSCF4923.JPG

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

G'day Folks

A small update, Back on the J1 (also trackwork), quite a lot of chassis has been removed, to lower the body, now things should move a bit faster !!! A couple of pics to keep you interested.

manna

DSCF4953.JPG

DSCF4954.JPG

DSCF4955.JPG

DSCF4956.JPG

• Like 10

G'day Folks

Another update..........amazing. Bit different this time, actually modifying one of my own locos, that I built 30+ years ago. I built a J5 on a Wrenn chassis, but it's been masquerading as a J5 for far to long, so I've pulled it apart and modifying  to a J4, 1081 series, it needs a new cab, different chimney, and the boiler has to be lowered, it didn't take long to come apart, the cab has been kept, you never know ? boiler has been lowered and a J52 chimney has been fitted, just the cab to make, The pics below show it with two tenders, but I'll probably go with the Kitmaster one for the time being. The other I'll use on the J1.

manna

DSCF4957.JPG

DSCF4960.JPG

DSCF4961.JPG

DSCF4962.JPG

DSCF4966.JPG

• Like 11

G'Day Folks

Part way through the cab build, this was state of play yesterday, a bit more has been done today, but no pics yet. This loco was a very early Ivatt build had has a small cab roof, pity those poor B*****s in the rain.

manna

DSCF4976.JPG

DSCF4977.JPG

• Like 10

G'Day Folks

Had a couple of busy days, the J4 taking center stage, the smokebox has been shortened, and a new smokebox door made from a Hornby product,  another dome has been loosely fitted and the cab, boiler and running plate have all been glued together. Still the firebox and rear splashers to be done. Like the look of these old 0-6-0's.

manna

DSCF5010.JPG

DSCF5011.JPG

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Who can resist a Sterling cab.

Somewhere in my extensive to do list I'm looking at building a G&SWR 22 class 0-6-0 which looks very like this with a distinctive Sterling style cab as well maybe on a Southern C class body.

Keep up the good work mate its really looking good 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

G'Day Folks

Time for an update, firebox and splashers fitted plus a coat of paint, a couple of pics of it as a 'Straightback' then in it's final configuration with a domed boiler. Handrails etc to be fitted. I like it, different.

manna  

DSCF5030.JPG

DSCF5031.JPG

DSCF5032.JPG

DSCF5033.JPG

DSCF5035.JPG

• Like 10

• 4 weeks later...

G'day Folks

I've been a bit quiet of late, been building my new station, but I found the nameplates for this to-day, and thought to myself, yes it's about time, Humorist, has been sitting in it's box for a few years, so the nameplate and a bit of black paint were added to the loco. Might even get the number fitted tomorrow.

manna

DSCF5100.JPG

DSCF5103.JPG

DSCF5109.JPG

• Like 6