Manna's Workbench, D2, Sentinel, Q1, N1, D3, a pair of J3's, C2, J6 +others

1 hour ago, jwealleans said:

Terry, in case you (or anyone else interested) haven't seen them, there are 3D printed bits for all Humorist's different incarnations available here.

G'Day Folks

Thank you Jonathon, I did know about Al's 3D prints, but I did mine many moons ago, and kinda forgot about it.

manna

• 3 weeks later...

G'Day Folks

Time, I think to get back to building locos, the J1 Has been sitting on the workbench for to long, so it was taken down and dusted off, the main problem was, the body was still to high, another mill was taken off, much better and the boiler has been joined to the running-plate, two holes have been drilled into the boiler for the dome and chimney, starting to come together, the chassis has a slight twist, so the motor removed and the chassis given a slight twist then the motor was refitted. here's the results so far.

manna

DSCF5236.JPG

DSCF5237.JPG

DSCF5238.JPG

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, manna said:

the chassis has a slight twist, so the motor removed and the chassis given a slight twist then the motor was refitted.

When you've got it running sweetly, do you drop some solder onto the spacers to lock them in place ?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

When you've got it running sweetly, do you drop some solder onto the spacers to lock them in place ?

G'Day Dave

I'll do that, the motor at the moment is holding everything square.

manna

• Like 1

G'Day Folks

Wandered away from locos at the moment, a couple of wagon bit's, a 9' wheelbase wagon kit is being built, I'll scratchbuild the body.

I've hand painted a 'Edgware' private owner wagon, just have to do the other side and weather it.

Also made a wagon load of paving stones, I used 'Evergreen'  sidewalk  paving slabs, cut into single strips then into 1x4, which fit the wagons, these were then glued at an angle, until they filled the wagon, then painted light grey (might do another wagon)

manna

DSCF5256.JPG

DSCF5255.JPG

DSCF5253.JPG

Edited by manna
  • Like 11

G'Day Folks

Thank you cypherman, your right, I'm starting to worry I'm going to run out of room for them !! To tell the truth, I never expected to build so many that I'm running out of loco classes to build.

manna

Edited by manna
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, mullie said:

Manna this is a really inspiring thread. The Sentinel railcar especially has got me thinking as they worked in Norfolk during the 30s.

Martyn

G'Day Folks

Thank You Martyn, glad you liked it, many of the loco's lasted into the 50's.

manna

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, mullie said:

Manna this is a really inspiring thread. The Sentinel railcar especially has got me thinking as they worked in Norfolk during the 30s.

Martyn

HI Martyn

What I like about Terry's (Manna) modeling is he just gets on with it. There is always a solution not a problem. 

Thanks Terry for an inspirational thread. 

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

27 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

HI Martyn

What I like about Terry's (Manna) modeling is he just gets on with it. There is always a solution not a problem. 

Thanks Terry for an inspirational thread. 

G'Day Folks

Yes lots of solutions, but there are problems, but I put them on the backburner, until I can work out a solution, sometimes it can take a while.............

manna

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

G'day Folks

No pics tonight (our time), the J1 chassis is now a runner, took me about 4 hours, to get it running right, I used brass wire for the pick ups, very intermittent running, so I used phosphor bronze, soldered to the ends, boom, runs very well now, weird !! I also had to widen the holes in the coupling rods, bit to tight.

manna

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

If that's one of mine Manna i deliberately set them tight so a choice of crankpins could be used.:good_mini:

G'Day Folks

Hi Dave, I had already drilled out the the holes to fit Romford crank pins, but not enough to go around corners, so I had to take them off and re-drill them, goes around corners now.

manna

• Like 1

G'day Folks

I'm always on the hunt for a new loco to build, and going through my 'Green Bibles', I liked the look of the 'Sir Sam Fay's', LNER class B2, remembering that K's built a model to fit on a B12, I looked up the wheelbase of the B2 and B12, nowhere near good enough, 7'x7' for the B12, and 7'3"x 8'3", for the B2, so I started measuring up RTR loco's that I have, the closest I have is the old Hornby/Triang humble Jinty, at 7'9" x 8'3", only 2 mm out, which is a darn sight closer than the B12.

Having a spare Jinty chassis to hand, I thought I'd try to re-wheel it with 26 mm Romfords (should be 27 mm) to see how it would look, this is how it looks, motors to choice, but I think the X03/4 will probably fit.

I'll probably give this a rest for the moment as I have plenty to catch up on, so fits and starts.

manna

DSCF5289.JPG

DSCF5291.JPG

b2.jpg

Edited by manna
Added photo.
  • Like 11

G'Day Folks

Couldn't resist a 'Play' with the B2, I have a spare D11 body, seeing I nicked the tender for the B1, don't take either of these pics as serious, it's just to see if it's possible. I've cut the body in half, and added 75 mm to the boiler, which I think is 9 mm to much.

Looks like I'll have to find some plans for the B2.

manna

DSCF5292.JPG

DSCF5293.JPG

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 2

G'day Folks

Couldn't resist a bit more time on the B2, the boiler has been shortened my 9 mm and the running late by 7 mm, just in front of the main splashers, a front bogie has be cut back from a A3 and now sits at a correct distance from the main drivers, glue and a bit of extra plastic card now hold everything together, I think this one coming on quite nicely.

manna

DSCF5298.JPG

DSCF5299.JPG

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

2 hours ago, mullie said:

I would like a J65 for my layout, there is a 3D print but I have reservations about them, having read your thread I have no excuse but to get on with it!

(Once a few other things are out the way)

Martyn

G'Day Martyn

Is that the one that fits on the 'Terrier' chassis, I've been thinking about that to, but I'd make my own body.

manna

• Like 1

A J 72 is very hackable to a J65 . The biggest problem is the awful plastic that some of the earlier ones were made of, very difficult to stick, but there have been quite a few done, not least by Martyn.

the white metal K,s kit can be hacked as well.

I bought a J68 from cdc , the printed one and it is good, fits both the Terrier chassis and a SE Finecast J69 chassis which can still be got as a kit of part.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, robert17649 said:

A J 72 is very hackable to a J65 . The biggest problem is the awful plastic that some of the earlier ones were made of, very difficult to stick, but there have been quite a few done, not least by Martyn.

the white metal K,s kit can be hacked as well.

I bought a J68 from cdc , the printed one and it is good, fits both the Terrier chassis and a SE Finecast J69 chassis which can still be got as a kit of part.

G'Day Folks

I have heard of J72's being converted into J69's, but the Mainline/Bachmann chassis is awful, but the Terrier chassis, seems the way to go.

manna

• RMweb Gold
On 17/09/2020 at 17:43, manna said:

G'day Folks

Couldn't resist a bit more time on the B2, the boiler has been shortened my 9 mm and the running late by 7 mm, just in front of the main splashers, a front bogie has be cut back from a A3 and now sits at a correct distance from the main drivers, glue and a bit of extra plastic card now hold everything together, I think this one coming on quite nicely.

manna

DSCF5298.JPG

DSCF5299.JPG

Love this thread, really creative and skilled stuff..............wish you had been born in the red territory Terry:D..............Rgds  Mike

• Like 2
  • Funny 2