Manna's Workbench, D2, Sentinel, Q1, N1, D3, a pair of J3's, C2, J6 +others

G'Day Folks

More work on the last J3, I fitted a semi-circular splasher to the center wheel, which I wasn't sure was correct, mainly because I wasn't sure whether the middle splasher had a sandbox incorporated into the splasher, after more research, I found that it did, so the old one was removed and a new one constructed, a stream pipe and cab steps have been made and fitted. More 'Grot' sorry weathering applied, just the sanding leavers, sandbox lids front steps a couple of handrail and lamp irons to go. Phew. Pics below show a borrowed J6 tender.

manna 

DSCF5607.JPG

DSCF5608.JPG

DSCF5610.JPG

Edited by manna
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

G'Day Folks

After a long wait, my parcel of 'Goodies' has arrived, a whitemetal B1, with knackered valvegear and a non working motor was investigated, the motor has a wire disconnected, but works with a battery, the valvegear looks a bit rough, we'll see, a 'Hornby' 2-8-0, with 'Hall' type valvegear fitted works but is very 'oily', there also lots of spare parts, wheels, axles, buffers, and a couple of GBL D11's, and one of ' Chris P Bacons' J50 brass chassis, my son sent me a couple of LNER Horse Box kits for my 70th birthday. Here's a selection below.

manna

DSCF5613.JPG

DSCF5614.JPG

DSCF5616.JPG

DSCF5619.JPG

DSCF5621.JPG

DSCF5623.JPG

DSCF5624.JPG

Edited by manna
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, 33C said:

Those D11's are tailor made for a Triang L1 chassis and a slimmed down Princess tender chassis plus, no painting! Did mine in an afternoon.20201030_000104.jpg.b12fa498870adcfdf620e811e43a0be1.jpg

20201030_000129.jpg

G'Day Folks

Mine will be a little different, one is going to be made into a B8 'Glenalmond', one tender is for the B2, and the spare body will be for a A5 4-6-2T, so I will be busy.

I don't know why Tri Ang, didn't make a few more body types for the L1 chassis, it wouldn't have been that difficult.

manna

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

G'Day Folks

Pottering on with with different jobs, trying to build two LNER Horse boxes at once, mucking about with the B1,  and the B2, center axles been changed, wheels painted coupling rods fitted, but a very poor intermittent runner, taking a closer look, a very silly mistake, put the center wheels on the wrong side, swopped them over, and away she went, silly sod. Started on the tender for the B2, pulled out the wheel set, then thought to myself, I wonder if I can cut the wheels off and drill holes for the Hornby tender wheel set.......Yes you can, I'll put up a couple of pics tomorrow, wet paint everywhere. First pic, with GBL tender, Second pic, with borrowed B1 tender, 3rd Horseboxes.

manna

DSCF5633.JPG

DSCF5635.JPG

Edited by manna
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

G'Day Folks

Sorry to take longer to reply than I said, "puter problems, keeps freezing,

Here goes,  also a couple of pics of J4 4084, almost finished, just cab steps and lamp irons.

manna

DSCF5637.JPG

DSCF5639.JPG

DSCF5640.JPG

DSCF5641.JPG

Edited by manna
  • Like 14

• 2 weeks later...

G'day Folks

Bit of an update with the B2, the tender has been painted and lined, the chassis is ongoing, but a day or two should see it running.

The Horseboxes have had there chassis and bodies painted, roofs need another coat.

manna

DSCF5667.JPG

DSCF5670.JPG

DSCF5668.JPG

Edited by manna
  • Like 12

G'day Folks

Time to start another loco, although I've just realised I still have to make and fit the reversing leaver for the B2, opps.

Using a 'Chris P Bacon' j50 fold up chassis, I'll be modifying it like the J1 & J6 to fit a J5, which has the same sized wheelbase as the others, one day I might even use it for a J50 !!

So far it's been folded and soldered, the middle stretcher, has been cut out and located lower down, so I can fit the motor between the frames, backwards and driving off of the rear axle,  this should hide the bright blue Hornby worm gear, under the firebox and cab. The chassis has been cut to length, as has the runningplate and boiler.

A couple of pictures hopefully will make it understandable. The J6 is in the shops to have a three link coupling fitted to the front bufferbeam.

manna

DSCF5676.JPG

DSCF5677.JPG

Edited by manna
  • Like 11

G'day Folks

Time for an update, and things have gone backwards, ?, As with the J1 and J6, the J5's body, as made will be to high, so it has to 'sit down' over the chassis, I had a 'NWI'  :scratchhead: ( a NON Working Idea) I cut the runningplate down to fit over the chassis, the only thing holding the two halves of the runningplate, was a skin on 5 thou, which bent the main plate, when I glued it together,  the cab was to high as well, see pics below.

It was then time to think, I've had to lower the front and back of the chassis so I can 'Drop' the runningplate onto it, a new runningplate has had to be made as well, see pics. At least I'm back (almost) to were I was a week ago, I still have to make a new cab !!

first pic, cut outs on the top left and right of the chassis.

second pic, the bend in the runningplate and cab, not good.

Third, fourth, fifth and sixth pics are the runningplate being cut out and dropped onto the chassis.

manna

DSCF5678.JPG

DSCF5679.JPG

DSCF5682.JPG

DSCF5683.JPG

DSCF5684.JPG

DSCF5685.JPG

Edited by manna
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, Artless Bodger said:

Ah, so that's a way to make running plates. Very helpful, thank you, I'll salt that away for future use.

G'Day  AB

Glad you like it.

If you go back a bit on this thread, I also show how I make Curved ones.

manna

• Like 1

G'Day Folks

After lots of problems with my computer, an new one has been purchased.

A bit more work has been done on the J5, not as much as I would have liked, but still progress.  Smokebox wrapper has been fitted as have the sides of the firebox, the main gear has been soldered to the axle, ( but it's not straight !) and will be done again, the wheels have been fitted to get the runningplate in order for the splashers, also another cab has been made. Here's a couple of pics. The tracing paper is shown, how I deal with smaller parts that have to be cut out, I mark them out on the paper, turn the drawing over then draw them again onto a piece of plastic card.

manna

DSCF5686.JPG

DSCF5689.JPG

DSCF5693.JPG

DSCF5691.JPG

Edited by manna
  • Like 10

• 3 weeks later...

G'Day Folks

Not as much progress as I would have liked, But.  My scratchbuilt chassis is taking shape ( for the R1) and the J7's wheels have arrived and I've been playing with that. The J5 is at the moment have it's pick ups fitted.

manna

DSCF5696.JPG

DSCF5699.JPG

Edited by manna
  • Like 10

• 2 months later...

G'Day Folks

Little or no activity for the last few months (Trouble with a Anti Model Railway wife) now you know why I can build locos very fast. today I've glued the body of the J5 together and the smokebox door, but I can't make up my mind on the chimney, I have two, a tall skinny one and a shorter J6 type, any thoughts........hence two pics.

manna

PS. I think the firebox end of the boiler is a Tad to high.

DSCF5708.JPG

DSCF5709.JPG

Edited by manna
  • Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

G'Day Folks

Indians are quiet today, so I snuck out to the shed. my Nu Cast B1 caught my eye, so I fired up the soldering iron, 2 hours later ! I had a running chassis ( she has poor valve gear), she runs well, without the body on, I have a few shorts with the cast body on. but a lot better with a old Bachmann body on, she will get the name 'Springbok' with her first number 8301, unlined black, plenty of Wartime grime.

I've included a pic of the R1 0-8-2T, I had a fiddle with it the other day, wheels lined up and chassis to body.

J5 will have the long chimney fitted.

manna

DSCF5712.jpg

DSCF5713.jpg

DSCF5716.jpg

DSCF5714.jpg

DSCF5715.jpg

DSCF5711.jpg

Edited by manna
  • Like 13

• 3 weeks later...

G'day Folks

A small update, spare time is limited, but I have managed to make the splashers for the J5, even fitted some, a bit of filler was slapped on.

I wasn't happy with the windows on the Horse boxes, so I popped them out and fitted some new ones, all I have to do now is couplings and decals.

manna

DSCF5747.jpg

DSCF5749.jpg

DSCF5748.jpg

• Like 11

It was a very variable colour, like wagon grey.   Peter Tatlow uses Triumph Russet Brown which isn't far away from that at all.

In The Big Four in Colour there is a shot at York with two horseboxes visible: one is a mid brown not far off Humbrol 62, the other is almost black.

I use Humbrol 62 or 186 and a spot of black so the mix is slightly different each time.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jwealleans said:

It was a very variable colour, like wagon grey.   Peter Tatlow uses Triumph Russet Brown which isn't far away from that at all.

In The Big Four in Colour there is a shot at York with two horseboxes visible: one is a mid brown not far off Humbrol 62, the other is almost black.

I use Humbrol 62 or 186 and a spot of black so the mix is slightly different each time.

Thank you Jonathan, one of them needs another coat, I'll slightly lighten it. Ta.

manna

Having just gone through this entire thread from page one, can I just say what a inspiration you are as to what can be made from RTR bits mixed and matched combined with plastic sheets.

You have even made me think, and I am a total diesel man myself.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, cheesysmith said:

Having just gone through this entire thread from page one, can I just say what a inspiration you are as to what can be made from RTR bits mixed and matched combined with plastic sheets.

You have even made me think, and I am a total diesel man myself.

G'Day cheesysmith.

Thank you for the kind words, I try to make everything as cheap as I can using RTR, but sometimes Romford wheels need to be used.

manna

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

G'day Folks

A bit of time  has been grabbed and put to good use, the J5 has now had a coat of grey paint (still damp)) might even get a bit more time tomorrow.

manna

DSCF5750.jpg

DSCF5752.jpg

DSCF5751.jpg

• Like 8

G'Day Folks

Another update, Time is now 'Falling' into my lap, as My Doctor has said I must take it easy, Due to have some blocked veins in my heart, which is making very short of breath, booked to go into Hospital on the 21st of July, so they are not hanging about !

Now pottering about with model loco's is pretty relaxing, so I'd better make the most of it.

I didn't like to smokebox door on the J5, it looked to much like a J4, so off it came, a larger more bowed smokebox door was fitted along with a brass smokebox dart brass handrail and lamp irons, the the whole engine was covered in a dark grey paint, this loco is going to be 'Heroically' weathered, as some J5's used to be.

manna

DSCF5757.jpg

DSCF5758.jpg

DSCF5759.jpg

DSCF5760.jpg

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

G'Day Folks

J5's had most it's weathering done. So to celebrate, I've started another loco, this one will be a Robinson B8, 4-6-0, the chassis will be off of a Dublo/Wrenn R1, it's only 1mm out, which is close enough for me, the body will use parts from a GBL D11.

manna

DSCF5763.jpg

DSCF5761.jpg

DSCF5762.jpg

• Like 10

G'Day Folks

Small update, most of the parts needed have now been made or cleaned up, just a case of putting all of the back together again, boilers been cut to size and glued to the smokebox, firebox and cab next.

manna

DSCF5767.jpg

DSCF5769.jpg

DSCF5770.jpg

DSCF5771.jpg

Edited by manna
  • Like 13