Manna's Workbench, D2, Sentinel, Q1, N1, D3, a pair of J3's, C2, J6 +others

G'Day Gents

A small update on the Railcar, I now have the railcar screwed together, I actually dropped it the other day, by accident and it stayed in one piece, lucky eh ! I've cut out all the cutains out of 5thou plastic card, and not knowing there colour, I painted them light green (Humbrol 80 matt) these once painted I glued behind the window frames (see pics) that's the inside finished, just a bit of filling to do, then painting.

manna

post-19471-0-95844500-1392111389_thumb.jpg

post-19471-0-79305600-1392111428_thumb.jpg

post-19471-0-36031300-1392111468_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• 1 month later...

G'Day Gents

Thought it was about time I gave you an update, things have been moving rather slowly of late, but at least there moving, I've had to make a new chassis as the old Trix one had warped, 'Rising Sun' has now had a couple of coats of paint, and is now looking like a steam Railcar.

The J1 is also progressing, sprung buffers have been fitted and she's been painted, (pics soon)

manna

DSCF0111.JPG

Edited by manna
Replacing content
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

There is a good side on colour picture of 'Eagle' no 2140 reproduced in 'The Big Four in Colour', also available as Colour-Rail ref. NE68, credited to JP Mullett. Same type of railcar as your 'Rising Sun'. The curtains are well drawn back behind the pillars, but are in the light. My colour description would be fawn/beige. (All the usual reservations about the gamuts of the intervening photographic reproduction stages apply.)

While on LNER railcars, I totally salute whoever decided that 'Bang Up' was an appropriate name for one of the Clayton design cars. Not quite inspiring of confidence in a vehicle with a steam pressure vessel...

• Like 1

This all looks really good Manna, well done! You've changed my mind on what my next project will be. Thanks!

Edit: Also, what thickness of plasticard did you use for the sentinel cabs?

Edited by Frappington Jct

G'Day Gents

farren, I've have a set of HMRS transfers, which should give me all the letters I need.

Frappington Junc, If you do have a go at a Sentinel, after you've cut out the windows and door tops, try to fit the long main window in the gap rather (than I did) fit the window 'behind' the gap, this will give you a flush fitting window. If you need a hand on anything give is a shout.

manna

G'Day Gents

Not a huge update but, I fitted the buffer beam to one end (that was missing) and fitted the buffers, I've never seen square shanked buffers for sale, so I've fitted some GWR long buffers, later I'll slap a load of filler on them a file them square, but that could take .......years !!

manna

DSCF0121.JPG

DSCF0122.JPG

DSCF0123.JPG

Edited by manna
Replacing content
  • Like 9

Hi Manna,

This is a really interesting build of a great prototype. Sadly Little Didcot's railmotor No. 93 will be auto trailer No. 212 as it's a bit out of period...

The square shank GWR buffers are available from MRD:

http://www.emardee.org.uk/epages/BT4589.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT4589/Categories

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Castle

Edited by Castle
  • Like 1

G'Day Gents

Thanks for the interest in the railcar and J1, I always have a couple of jobs on the go at any one time...........so it's time for another, this ones a cheapo, a Smokey Joe into a Y5, I'm not doing anything to the chassis, nearly all bodywork. Right, cut off the dome and waterfiller cap, and then file down the tank top until it's about 6/7mm wide and flat, the cut a piece of 20thou plastic card 48mm x 18mm and glue it to the top of the tank top, when it's dry, fill in Under the plastic card with car body filler (see pics) then rub it down until you get the shape of the Y5's saddle tank.

Next time, I'll build the cab.

manna

DSCF0125.JPG

DSCF0126.JPG

DSCF0127.JPG

Edited by manna
Replacing content
  • Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

G'Day Gents

The Y5 is taking shape, cabs almost finished, still a bit of filling and rubbing down to do, the cab has a few complex shapes, so it's taken me a bit longer to sort out, see what you think.

manna

DSCF0128.JPG

DSCF0131.JPG

DSCF0134.JPG

DSCF0136.JPG

DSCF0140.JPG

DSCF0141.JPG

Edited by manna
Replacing content
  • Like 10

G'Day Gents

Thank you for your comments.

A bit more done over the weekend, the chimney is only held on with a dob of bluetack, at the moment, the safety valves etc came of the original loco managed to cut it off without to much damage, I will be fitting a Westinghouse pump later. enjoy.

manna

DSCF0144.JPG

DSCF0145.JPG

DSCF0146.JPG

DSCF0147.JPG

Edited by manna
Replacing content
  • Like 9

• 1 month later...

G'Day Gents

The Y5 is coming along, only the Westinghouse pump, lamp irons and handrails to fit (although I think the chimney's a bit short !) a bit more weathering wouldn't go amiss, with a different livery, she would make a good little industrial loco. enjoy.

manna

DSCF0160.JPG

DSCF0167.JPG

Edited by manna
Replacing content
  • Like 10

• 6 months later...

G'day Gents

Long time no post, life unfortunately gets in the way of modelling, I've still been doing a bit, but nothing worth showing, still haven't finished the Sentinel, I only have to wire it up, but I have started on the tender for the J1, and be me, I've started on a new loco, this time it's a J4, using a Wrenn 0-6-0 chassis, there are many different series of J4, they were built over many years, By Stirling and Ivatt, and then rebuilt, so it's a bit of a minefield, in the end I've gone for 4039, a series 1031, it has the more rounded cab and sandboxes on the centre splasher, here's a start.

manna

post-19471-0-27516400-1422737349_thumb.jpg

post-19471-0-67298900-1422737395_thumb.jpg

post-19471-0-64123100-1422737446_thumb.jpg

• Like 9