Manna's Workbench, D2, Sentinel, Q1, N1, D3, a pair of J3's, C2, J6 +others

Its got to be said Manna that 01 has a lovely balance about it and will look a real beauty when done.

Funny I was just thinking about you the other day and the fact that you hadn't had an update for a while, good to see you posting again.

Steve

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

G'day Gents

Time for the first update of the year, most of the work is on the O1 and the G1.

The G1 has had a new bogie built, and some fiddling with the motor, I used silicone to 'glue' the motor to the chassis, so slowly getting there.

With the O1, cleaned everything up, handrails and boiler bands, it's now had a coat of paint and it's numbers (to high), I still have some stuff to do, but it's running.

manna

DSCF2476.JPG

DSCF2478.JPG

DSCF2488.JPG

DSCF2489.JPG

DSCF2490.JPG

Edited by manna
Replacing content
  • Like 9

Hmm as I suspected that 01 has turned out a real beauty and any one would be proud to have that grace there layout, I love your style of modeling especially the way you have a knack of being able to see the finished loco in your minds eye when all you have to start with is a chassis and a pile of plasticard, that's real modeling in my books.

The only down side is the time between each update means I start to get withdrawal symptoms waiting for your next post.

Steve

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

G'day Gents

Hi Londontram.  I know what you mean about the time frame, as time goes' by the loco's get more complicated, and as I'm building them I go through every little bit in my mind before I cut out the parts I need, plus it's summer here in Oz, holiday time...........

manna

• 2 months later...

G'Day Gents

Back again (groan) After faffing about with nothing for a couple of months, (if you call building, 2x J3's a Dapol railbus, and finishing a load of coaches nothing) I started building a J57, the body is well on the way, but I'll have to live with the wrong chassis for a while, as it's suppose to have 4' wheels but still has it's 4'8" wheels, the cab, dome, and chimney have been lowered, as these loco's used to work down to the East London docks, they were lowered to clear a low bridge at Stratford. The chimney won't be staying.

manna

DSCF2590.JPG

Edited by manna
Replacing content
  • Like 10

Great work on the J57 Manna! I always enjoy seeing what you're getting up to with your scratchbuilding and adaptations. The N1 and G1 are particular favourites of mine - I do need to get around to making an N gauge N1 at some point but I'm not sure if I can justify the G1 unfortunately. :(

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

G'Day Gents

Thanks ATSO, yours is always interesting to.

A few more bits done to the J57, including paint and a number, the bunker end is a bit high, I reused some of the inside of the cab, once the smaller wheels arrive, it'll fit.

manna

DSCF2600.JPG

Edited by manna
Replacing content
  • Like 3

G'Day Gents

I hinted that I'd been faffing about with a couple of J3's, so here they are, not finished, but on the way, the first one is a recycled K's J3, that I couldn't get working, shorting out, fell off at every curve, so the chassis went in the bits box, the running plate was removed, which left be with the boiler/cab unit, a new running plate has been built, with plastic splasher's ( that'll cure the shorts), this will become 4093, a 1091 series, J3, with older type splasher's.

The other is a scratch built body, be reusing the K's splasher's, this will become 4109, a 315 series J3, both sit on a Wrenn/Dublo chassis.

manna 

PS Also been mucking about with a Dapol Railcar, I fitted a Lima shunter chassis .

DSCF2608.JPG

DSCF2609.JPG

DSCF2610.JPG

DSCF2612.JPG

Edited by manna
Replacing content
  • Like 7

G'Day Gents

Been playing around with some tenders and with the seats for the railcar, heaps of the little beggers,  your mind tends to wander after the first half dozen, but I have finally finished the seats and glued them to the floor, I've started on the end panels for the inside of the railcar, hopefully the inside will be finished by next weekend, here's some pics.

manna

I have ordered a 3D printed L&Y Bury set. The seats were reversible exactly like this.

Thank you, I now have an idea how to do 5 cars worth of seats!!!!!!

• Like 1

I have ordered a 3D printed L&Y Bury set. The seats were reversible exactly like this.

Thank you, I now have an idea how to do 5 cars worth of seats!!!!!!

G'Day Gents

Good luck with those seat Sandhole, they do take a while, Just a thought, can't you get the seat 3D printed ???

manna

• 4 weeks later...

G'Day Gents

Not a lot going on with the loco's, I've been concentrating on the tenders, the black LNER tender came off of the J1, I wasn't happy with it behind the J1, the body didn't fit the powered tender chassis, I'll build a new one. that body has had a new chassis made for it, the other is a scratchbuilt one, but still a way to go, a third GN tender is for the O1 (no pic, yet)

manna

DSCF2613.JPG

DSCF2615.JPG

Edited by manna
Replacing content
  • Like 8

Just found this topic somehow missed it for ages! Really great work. Just down in Oz for our holidays at the moment. Popped into Hobby Craft in the QVB, nice model shop, been there a number of times before, with a decent stock of model railway items. Not too many brass kits for sale though...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

G'Day Gents

Hi, Tom, I hope you had a good time in Oz.

I've been concentrating on only one J3, ready to be painted.

manna

DSCF2617.JPG

DSCF2618.JPG

DSCF2619.JPG

Edited by manna
Replacing content
  • Like 9

G'Day Gents

Hi, Tom, I hope you had a good time in Oz.

I've been concentrating on only one J3, ready to be painted.

manna

Hi Manna,

Looking forward to seeing the J3 painted. Are you fitting the vents on top of the tender?

We had a great time in Oz, weather was perfect, a nice relief from the heat and humidity of HK.

What number is that J3 going to wear?

• Like 1

G'Day Gents

The J3 will be, 4109, a 315 series model.

I've been back to the picture I have on 4109 and.............it's a Stirling tender !! so the tender I've been making is a Ivatt tender :scratchhead: now if you scroll up the page, there's another tender (black with LNER on it) now that's a Stirling tender, so I'll do a swap.  :sungum:

manna

• Like 1

G'Day Gents

Still plugging on, first the J3 with a coat of paint, I can't add any numbers, I don't have any left.

Now on to a new loco, I know I haven't finished the other J3, ( later, awaiting motor) this one I'll leave as a mystery loco, you work out what it is.

manna 

DSCF2630.JPG

DSCF2628.JPG

Edited by manna
Replacing content
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

G'Day Gents

Well works stopped on the C2,  in order to make a better one, after a chat with ATSO, over the 'net', I decided to use a spare Hornby 'King Arthur chassis I had laying around, it has better wheels and wheel spacing's a lot closer to the real C2 Atlantic's, so the motor was removed, and the rear driver's removed, the well which had held the gears was filled with filler, a brass 'U' channel was fitted for the rear carrying wheel, the chassis was attacked with a full sized angle grinder to remove unwanted bit's ( few more to go yet), a new running plate was made the cab off of the old! C2 was reused and another boiler hacked off of a bit of plastic pipe, so now I'm virtually back to where I was with the old C2, I will admit it looks better.

manna

DSCF2633.JPG

Edited by manna
Replacing content
  • Like 6

Watching your J3 with interest. I have in mind to bash myself one, on the basis of the Oxford Dean goods mechanism (same nominal wheel diameter and wheelbase) which has a good motor and drive arrangement for a small and low centre line boiler 0-6-0. Mind, I am not a quick worker like you, something got together by 2020 would be good progress for me...

• Like 3

G'day Gents

Another small update, 2 splasher's made and fitted, the other two will be made and fitted today, also chimney fitted and cab fittings, looking very loco like now.

manna

DSCF2636.JPG

DSCF2637.JPG

DSCF2638.JPG

Edited by manna
Replacing content
  • Like 3

'In the raw' like that, the loco looks very obviously the four-coupled 'stretch' of the Stirling single, as Doncaster worked its way toward the 'big engine' that the express traffic required.

I doubt we will ever see a RTR model of a Klondyke, so some DIY is going to be required to display the full evolutionary Doncaster line by filling the gap between the Single and large atlantic from the NRM. My own profoundly lazy nature suggests that my path will based around the cheapest large atlantic I can find 'one day'. (Actually I will want two, because there was a proposal to put the large atlantic boiler on a 5'8" wheel 2-6-2 frame, which would have been a sensational mixed traffic loco design for circa 1910.)

• Like 2

'In the raw' like that, the loco looks very obviously the four-coupled 'stretch' of the Stirling single, as Doncaster worked its way toward the 'big engine' that the express traffic required.

I doubt we will ever see a RTR model of a Klondyke, so some DIY is going to be required to display the full evolutionary Doncaster line by filling the gap between the Single and large atlantic from the NRM. My own profoundly lazy nature suggests that my path will based around the cheapest large atlantic I can find 'one day'. (Actually I will want two, because there was a proposal to put the large atlantic boiler on a 5'8" wheel 2-6-2 frame, which would have been a sensational mixed traffic loco design for circa 1910.)

G'Day Gents

Yes, it was a little bit at a time, from Doncaster, keep watching, C1 next.

manna

• Like 1

G'Day Gents

Still beavering away on the C2, looking better every day, I have run the chassis on Edgware, and it goes round all the curves, I was a little worried it might bind, but no, it sailed through all of them.

manna

post-19471-0-58852600-1501628225.jpg

post-19471-0-91614700-1501628238.jpg

post-19471-0-68584600-1501628252.jpg

DSCF2640.JPG

DSCF2642.JPG

DSCF2643.JPG

DSCF2644.JPG

Edited by manna
Replacing content, plus an extra one.
  • Like 5