Manna's Workbench, D2, Sentinel, Q1, N1, D3, a pair of J3's, C2, J6 +others

Well all I can say is wow.

What a vision of beauty she is becoming, your knack of capturing the feel and lines of a loco are shown to there full with this one Manna I'm just blown away.

This is real modeling by my reckoning and I just cant wait for the next update.

Steve

• Thanks 1

Manna can I ask your opinion on one of your motor options, going back to post 102 and the picture of the G1 chassis I see you have a Mitsumi motor connected direct to the gear wheel with a Hornby "blue" worm gear. How does the motor get on in this configuration?

I've brought a job lot of them (and at 99p each plus free p&p why not) I've just ordered a high level road runner gearbox for the Conner project but want to swap out a few Hornby motors on some other projects where the space is a bit tight so would value your views seeing that you've already tried them.

Steve

G'Day Gents

Hi Steve, don't have a problem with those little motors, I have one in my C12 and runs very well, I have had it pulling 6 Kirk coaches, I'll have to get back to the G1, I haven't quite finished it, I get easily distracted, I still have to wire up the Sentinel steam railcar    :slow:

Some of the Hornby worms fit straight on the motor, I know the 'blue' one dose (sitting on my workbench) the older brass worm needs a shim in the hole, I made one from a bit of plastic tube. See pic. Some of my older chassis will be converted to the smaller Mitsumi motors, so I can fit smaller bodies on them, X04's sit so high

manna

Edited by manna
Sorry lost pics
  • Like 1

G'Day Gents

The main job today was hand rails, not a favorite job, but one that has to be done, some new handrail knobs bought off of E-Bay and a packet of handrail wire from the 'Local' ? model shop and a start was made, boiler and smokebox door today, it'll have to wait until Saturday for the rest.

manna

PS, The dome has been moved back about 4mm, it was to far forward.

post-19471-0-03633600-1501750054_thumb.jpg

post-19471-0-54716800-1501750070_thumb.jpg

post-19471-0-38298500-1501750087_thumb.jpg

Edited by manna
  • Like 4

G'day Gents

Almost finished, and it's had two coats of paint, numbers tomorrow, along with the steam pipe, leavers on the safety valves and reversing leaver, lamp irons etc.

manna

DSCF2649.JPG

DSCF2650.JPG

DSCF2653.JPG

Edited by manna
Replacing content
  • Like 14

G'Day Gents

Well the Klondike is virtually finished, so to keep the mind occupied, onward to the next loco,

this time it's a J6, a favorite with many, and one I have wanted for a long time, but there's

no RTR chassis, or is there ! I recently bought a Hornby tender drive 4F off of E-bay and had

it shipped to Oz, stripping it down I noticed that I could move the driving wheels as being

tender drive there were no gears or motor in the way, so a groove was cut into the chassis to

accommodate the middle driving wheel being moved forward about 4mm, to make sure I took out a set

Hornby coupling rods for a N2 and hooked these up to the 4F's wheels, thereby giving me the

correct wheel spacing's, I had to bring the front wheel back by about .25 mm, I also had to

place a bit of brass behind the center axle, to stop it moving about, I then reassembled the

chassis, and gave it a push with my finger, it rolled, a bit tight, but it had worked, now with

a few minor adjustments, I know it will work, a J6 body is now being made for the chassis.

To speed up production, I'm using the left over boiler from the G1 conversion, I've had to fill

in the area under the firebox.

manna

DSCF2659.JPG

DSCF2663.JPG

DSCF2656.JPG

DSCF2657.JPG

DSCF2660.JPG

DSCF2661.JPG

Edited by manna
Replacing content
  • Like 6

G'Day Gents

Time for an update on the J6, seeing that I have some time on my hands, progress is rapid, probably 80% on both engine and tender

now I like to use bits off of other locos, so the front splashers are from a Wrenn 0-6-0 (modified) the middle splashers are from a old 'Thomas' and cut in half you get two from one

The tender body is modified king tender, with part of the top cut off, split in half lengthways (to narrow it) and a bit cut off of the front, (has to be rebuilt anyway)

the tender body is a little low so I've had to build a small 'Hill' on the top to cover the motor, any way, here's a few pics.

manna

DSCF2667.JPG

DSCF2668.JPG

DSCF2669.JPG

DSCF2670.JPG

Edited by manna
Replacing content
  • Like 11

G'Day Gents

Thank you everyone for all the likes and comments,

I like to use bits off of other loco, sometimes it can speed

up production, sometimes not, I don't like seeing bits going to

waste, there there so why not use them. Update coming soon.

manna

• Like 1

There well deserved Manna you turn out some wonderful inspiring models you just seem to epitomise what I believe railway modeling should be and I should think you'll get more pleasure running a fleet of locomotives you've built your self than you ever would a fleet of straight out the box same as every one else has locos

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

G'Day Gents

Well the J6 is coming on, the tender only needs a little bit more work, the loco is nearly there, thought it was time to give it a coat of undercoat, what I thought was grey, turned out to be white ? picked up the wrong can on the second coat, Never seen a J6 in 'Silver' so gave it a quick blast of white again.

Had a slight reaction, but I should be able to cover that with black paint.

Couple of pictures showing progress.

manna

PS. Forgot to change the chimney.

DSCF2671.JPG

DSCF2672.JPG

Edited by manna
Replacing content
  • Like 8

G'Day Gents

The J6 is virtually finished, a couple of tender handrails, lamp irons etc.

I've had it running on the layout, but the wheels are locking, so it'll need more weight, maybe even a bit of binding somewhere.

It'll probably take me a couple of days to sort it out.

Also the cab end is a bit high, and the buffers are wonky. lol.

manna

DSCF2673.JPG

DSCF2674.JPG

DSCF2675.JPG

Edited by manna
Replacing content
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

G'Day Gents

Believe it or not, been trying to get away to Queensland for weeks, to get a bit of heat, but no joy, wife's just starting to get her third bout of Flu, and my backs gone again, so it'll be a few more weeks yet.

manna

• 2 weeks later...

G'Day Gents

Well all this enforced stay at home has given me the opportunity to do a bit more on the C2's tender, and start the C1, so far the rear wheel has been removed, a bit of 22mm pipe has been fattened to 23mm for the boiler and a slot cut in it for slipping over the motor.

Here's a couple of pics to show a bit of progress.

manna

PS, you can see the C2's tender in the background , glue drying on the buffers.

post-19471-0-34181000-1505524417.jpg

post-19471-0-32046900-1505524437.jpg

Edited by manna
  • Like 8

G'Day Gents

Believe it or not, been trying to get away to Queensland for weeks, to get a bit of heat, but no joy, wife's just starting to get her third bout of Flu, and my backs gone again, so it'll be a few more weeks yet.

manna

Queensland? come on Manna you diggers forget its all the Queens land isn't it?

Forgive me my friend I couldn't help that, seriously though it looks like a good solid start with the C1 and I'm already looking forward to seeing this one develop.

Steve

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

G'Day Gents

Well after three wonderful weeks travelling around New South Wales and Queensland, I got back on Sunday, with an extra 5,000kms on the clock. I'll start a thread on all the railway bits I found.

My son has sent me a parcel of railway goodies whilst I was away, so I now have the wheels for the E1 (2-4-0) a B1 chassis, chassis and wheels only (Hornby) and a Hornby B17 chassis (the older un-powered one) a couple of wagons, plus a GN smoke box door and a C1 chimney, now that's going to come in handy. and a motor for a Wrenn 0-6-0 loco.

The motor was quickly fitted to a modified Wrenn chassis and the modified K's J3 body was fitted to it, it all worked, now the two J3's I started a couple of months ago are both now working, all I have to do now is number them, and there in the post.

manna

DSCF2992.jpg

DSCF2993.jpg

Edited by manna
Replacing content
  • Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

G'Day Folks.

A small update, nearly all my spare modelling time has been taken up with ballasting, only another 6' to go, but I did take a bit of time out to number the 2 J3's, still have to finish the tenders.

Although, there's only 9 digits in difference in there numbers, they're very different.

manna

post-19471-0-17103700-1510128914.jpg

post-19471-0-58040600-1510128949.jpg

• Like 11