Manna's Workbench, D2, Sentinel, Q1, N1, D3, a pair of J3's, C2, J6 +others

... the ( C12 ) chassis is from Craftsman, I have the body as well, but the two won't run together...

Back in the long ago land of DC, mine was known as 'old sparky'. I think the body ended up 80% brass and 20% insulation tape, Araldite, and anything else that might just stop the bloody shorts.

Looked good. I'd seriously consider a powered coach to push-pull along the model on a branch line if I needed one now, since there are such good low profile bogie drives.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

G'Day Folks

Things are staggering forward, gas tanks have been fitted to the the ECJS coach, and it's had a coat of paint, not a 100% pleased with it at the moment ! but time will tell.

The Ivatt single has had a rub down but the plastic is very tough, so I'm trying an experiment, I've painted the single in wartime grey, after a couple of coats I'm hoping that when I try to rub it down again, the paint will have filled in some of the lines in the bodywork.

manna

DSCF3240.jpg

DSCF3249.jpg

DSCF3250.jpg

DSCF3246.jpg

DSCF3247.jpg

Edited by manna
Replacing content
  • Like 9

G'day Folks

Thank you Scots region, the poor old GN, doesn't get much of a look in from the RTR boys, and a lot of the kits are old, poor, or far to expensive for me, some are all three, so it's a case of make them yourself. Glad you like them, most of them are'n't to difficult to build yourself.

Here's another job I started a while back, but as usual I hit a snag, which has take a while to sort out, I usually get there in the end. These started off as a couple of Tri-ang, Thompson coaches, i hacked them up and put them back again but not in the same configuration, they are a bit long but not to bad.

manna 

DSCF3251.jpg

DSCF3252.jpg

Edited by manna
Replacing content
  • Like 10

G'day Folks

The A5 is looking good in GNR grey, but what about LNER Black, let's see.........

manna

DSCF3254.jpg

DSCF3257.jpg

Edited by manna
Replacing content
  • Like 8

G'Day Folks

On the other hand you could have it in green !

Only the first coat.

manna

DSCF3258.jpg

DSCF3259.jpg

Edited by manna
Replacing content
  • Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

G'Day Folks

Last weekend was a Public holiday in SA, and also the main Model Railway show in SA. I had arranged to meet up with 'Woodcock 29' at the show,as he had some 'deceased estate' coaches and wagons for sale, some were poorly built, with wheels that wouldn't go round, bogies that wouldn't rotate, bad paintwork, no couplings, think you get the picture, well money changed hands, and a box was slide into a shopping bag, after a wander round the exhibits it was time to head home.

The 'box' was smuggled into the study (lol) and the contents were checked out again, a Gresley artic twin, an all third, and a Thompson 'Deal' full brake, which would need the most attention.

The 'Artic' twin, was to low on it's bogies, so they couldn't swivel, and the brake shoes were to close to the wheels, half hours work saw it running on Edgware. The all Third needed the underframe shortened as it was stopping the bogies from moving in any direction except a straight line.

Included in the 'Haul' is a Gresley 1st/3rd suburban Comp coach, unmade. Which will now give me a second rake of suburban coaches for Edgware. That will be the last of the coaches I need for Edgware, except for some GN 6 wheelers that make take to the rails.............one day.

The Deal full brake, had the wrong wheels (spoked tender wheels) and a terrible paint job and glue everywhere, the wheels were changed, the roof was removed, the glue cleaned up, the roof was painted black, and the body painted into BR crimson, it is a bit late in my LNER timeline.

A couple of wagons have been gently treated, new couplings, I'll come back to them later.

The C12 has had a couple of bit's done to it, the white bit's on a mostly black body.

I have three parcels on there way to Oz at the moment, tenders, motorized and un-motorized, wagons, chassis, bodies, and a host of other bits I've forgotten about, so it's about to get busy.

manna

DSCF3269.jpg

DSCF3270.jpg

DSCF3272.jpg

DSCF3274.jpg

DSCF3276.jpg

DSCF3277.jpg

DSCF3278.jpg

DSCF3279.jpg

DSCF3280.jpg

Edited by manna
Replacing content
  • Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

G'Day Folks

Very busy at the moment, been have a go at the luggage third, which I've now found out is a NER vehicle, but no matter she's coming on a treat, under-frame is finished, ventilators fitted over the compartments, (whitemetal) gas lamp tops made and fitted and dome(?) ventilators made and fitted over the corridor, almost time to try and fit the windows.

The A5, has has a rub down, and a clean up before another couple of coats of paint, I managed to buy a tender off of E-Bay, (ex kitmaster Stirling single) to run behind the A5, well sit behind, until I can convert a 'Schools' motorized tender.

The 1st/3rd Kirk coach has been built, almost ready for painting, but I had to make the truss frame and battery box as it was missing from the kit, never mind it's all practice.

My parcels arrived, with tenders for the Stanier 2-6-0. A chassis for another N2 ( I had a spare body) a B1 tender, some wagons and a wagon kit, a Lima J50, got plans for that one, but more later.

Piccy time

DSCF3283.jpg

DSCF3284.jpg

DSCF3287.jpg

DSCF3286.jpg

DSCF3285.jpg

DSCF3288.jpg

Edited by manna
Replacing content
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Thanks; I just thought the coupling rods looked different / finer than the Hornby ones!  The Hornby N2 chassis that I've had seem to run a lot better than the Mainline ones, so hopefully you'll be fine with that.

• Like 1

G'Day Folks

I will agree with your comments, Re. Hornby Chassis, Very good runners, with the earlier chassis, I've never had any problems, except the magnet is so powerful it lifts the coupling hook.?

manna

G'day Folks

Busy, Busy, Busy, so much to do and loving it.

I've started to line the A5, but I think I'm out of practice, haven't lined a loco in at least 35 years and the transfers are at least that old to, but it's a start, bought a lining pen off of E-Bay, I feel some practice coming on !!.

Also fitting class numbers on coach doors, have now run out so new ones ordered

manna

DSCF3289.jpg

DSCF3291.jpg

DSCF3294.jpg

DSCF3295.jpg

Edited by manna
Replacing content
  • Like 13

G'Day Folks

Giving a bit more time to the Ivatt single, lining.............not easy when your using 35 year old transfers, (my fault.) so it's been a case of a bit of lining then a coat of floor polish to hold the lining down, but it's worked, in some cases I had to cut the white off, other bits require black/white, so very little was wasted, still a bit to do on the single, but it's coming together.

I have also numbered an N2 and the C12, they both need weathering. Enjoy

manna

DSCF3298.jpg

DSCF3299.jpg

DSCF3300.jpg

DSCF3302.jpg

DSCF3303.jpg

DSCF3304.jpg

DSCF3305.jpg

Edited by manna
Replacing content
  • Like 11

G'day Folks

A bit scary when you first start, then you start to get your confidence, I think I'll buy some more lining, for the Atlantic (C1) when I get back to it  :scratchhead:

manna

• Like 2

G'day Folks

Bit more work done on the A5, dart for the smokebox door, builders plate on the splasher, and a brass ring around the windows.

manna

DSCF3306.jpg

DSCF3308.jpg

DSCF3307.jpg

DSCF3309.jpg

Edited by manna
Replacing content
  • Like 8

G'Day Folks

Thank you JCL, it's fun.

I've got most of the coaches out of the way and over the shed and into service, few little niggles, the artic set has tiny flanges on the wheel, so I fitted another bogie which had Hornby wheels.........perfect running (says a lot about my track though ?)

The Ivatt single has had it chassis motorized, but I'm in two minds as to whether I fit it or not, as I'll mean cutting a chunk out of the boiler, I'll think about that. While I think about it I've brought out the C1 out of the draw, I've built the running plate as far forward as the cylinders and fitted them over the main wheel, all looks a bit rough at the moment, next job is going to be the cab.

Loco identity will hopefully be 3299, I just have to find a decent picture...........

manna 

DSCF3315.jpg

DSCF3316.jpg

Edited by manna
Replacing content
  • Like 8