Manna's Workbench, D2, Sentinel, Q1, N1, D3, a pair of J3's, C2, J6 +others

G'Day Folks

Time, methinks for another update. Plodding on with the Atlantic, cabs made, fiddling with firebox sides, But, as usual, something else crops up (I don't mind) I made a comment on another thread (about Deeley  3f's) that I had thought to build a J17 out of an old Tri-ang 3f, 50 years ago, using a 3f and a B12 cab, but I had never built it, until a few other said go for it, I've never seen it done before, so why not, I have no idea how close this will be to scale, I'm just going to see if it is possible, although it will 'look' like a J17.

First I ground off the smokebox door, I used a cut down 'King' smokebox door (available, off of E-Bay for about a quid) see no expense spared ! then the hand rails were taken off, and I should have removed the boiler bands, as they're in the wrong place, the skirting under the boiler has been removed and a piece of 'Thomas' has been fitted in the empty space under the boiler, which is as far as I've got.

manna 

DSCF3317.jpg

DSCF3319.jpg

DSCF3320.jpg

DSCF3321.jpg

DSCF3322.jpg

Edited by manna
Replacing content
  • Like 9

Well I've said it before but I'll say it again reading your thread is one of the few pleasures I have in life now, I'm so into your style of modeling though you have caused a dilemma. Your models are so diverse and interesting I sometimes wish I'd modelled the LNER instead of the Caledonian.

Already looking forward to the next instalment.

Steve

Edited by Londontram
  • Like 2

G'Day Folks

Thank you Steve, I'm glad that I can give you a bit of enjoyment, hope you can get back modelling soon, miss your updates.

This afternoon, I filled in the join under the boiler ( car body filler) tomorrow it'll be ready to rub down.

manna

Well Terry I'm due to go into hospital for the opetation on August the 8th so hopefully that will start to get things sorted.

I've only been waiting 8 months not bad a (said tounge in cheek)

I've asked them while I'm in if they can do some x-rays to see if I've any mojo left in me

• Like 1

G'Day Folks

Still 'playing' with the J17, the cab and part of the firebox has been removed and a old and slightly damaged B12 cab has been slotted into place, to see how it will all go together and what it will look like, I'll let you decide. ( I think the cab roof is a bit long )

manna

DSCF3323.jpg

DSCF3324.jpg

DSCF3325.jpg

Edited by manna
Replacing content
  • Like 11

Hello Terry yes I would agree the cab roof is slightly to long and I hate to say this as you've already cut the Firefox but the cab looks a tad to far forward, I'm thinking the back of the cab side sheet should be almost level with the back of the running plate though I can see you'll be hampered by that cross beam at the back of the running plate... sorry

Edited by Londontram
  • Like 1

G'Day Folks

No probs, LT, not to difficult to fix, I'll just add a bit of plastic to the firebox and push the cab back. Give us an hour.

Here's what it'll look like with a proper GE tender.

manna

DSCF3326.jpg

Edited by manna
Replacing content
  • Like 9

G'day Folks

OK, A couple of bit's of 1.5 mm square rod, and a bit of a clean up on the body (rear splasher) and a bit of plastic removed from behind the cab, which allows the cab to slide back, and you get this.

manna

post-19471-0-86260900-1532489564.jpg

post-19471-0-40631100-1532489587.jpg

post-19471-0-83400500-1532489607.jpg

• Like 4

Sorry Terry I feel awfull now I didn't mean for you to leap in and start chopping straight away you should have waited the next 99 guys that come on might all have said leave well alone. I'm going to look a right numpty if after all your work it looks shite.

Sorry Terry I feel awfull now I didn't mean for you to leap in and start chopping straight away you should have waited the next 99 guys that come on might all have said leave well alone. I'm going to look a right numpty if after all your work it looks shite and out of proportion

Steve

Edited by Londontram
  • Like 1

G'Day Folks

Back to working on the Atlantic, I'm waiting on some bits from the UK, before I can get back to the J17, although I'm still fiddling.

With Atlantic, the cab has been made and fitted to the runningplate, the boiler has been secured to the cab and the fire-box sides fitted to both, the front of the runningplate is still a floppy extension, under the boiler, that will only become rigid when the wheel splashers are fitted. At the moment the body is only 'plonked' on the chassis. In photo no 4 you can see how close the motor is to the top of the boiler, I would like it down another mill, but then it would leave the boiler paper thin, we'll have to see how that pans out.

manna 

post-19471-0-46254400-1532909516.jpg

post-19471-0-80360400-1532909538.jpg

post-19471-0-04161000-1532909556.jpg

post-19471-0-33871700-1532909570.jpg

• Like 9

G'Day Folks

Another update on how to ruin plastic card.........well almost.

Still working on the C1, and trying to work out how to get it to sit lower, well I worked it out, I took a bit more from the top of the boiler, and then cut the loco up again (see pics), by lifting the boiler higher, it allowed the running plate to down that extra mill, which to my eyes made it not only look right, but put all the bits where they should have been, in the first place ( I think I was being a bit cautious) I  then built the front part of the running plate, when it was dry, I put it against the plans, Bu**er it was short  ?????, finally worked out I've lost a couple of mill somewhere, turns out it was under the firebox, out came the saw 'again', now there's a 2 mm gap in the runningplate (see pics) but at least it's now the correct length, and, I know it fits in a modified Hornby Castle chassis. Oh the fire box side had to be extended, because I lifted the boiler.

In the chassis department, the wheels have been removed and the axle hole for the rear wheel has been filled with modellers Epoxy putty, I'll cut a groove in it later for the rear carrying wheels. piccy time

manna

post-19471-0-65723800-1533343378.jpg

post-19471-0-64085900-1533343480.jpg

post-19471-0-40738400-1533343498.jpg

post-19471-0-98887700-1533343518.jpg

post-19471-0-19406600-1533343540.jpg

post-19471-0-49638400-1533343560.jpg

post-19471-0-65723800-1533343378.jpg

post-19471-0-64085900-1533343480.jpg

post-19471-0-40738400-1533343498.jpg

post-19471-0-98887700-1533343518.jpg

post-19471-0-19406600-1533343540.jpg

post-19471-0-49638400-1533343560.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi Manna

Are you like me? When I find I have made an error I just get on and correct it as normally I see where I went wrong, even if it means making a new part. It is frustrating but manageable. However when building a kit and things don't fit or look right  :ireful:  :ireful:  :ireful:  :ireful:  :ireful: 

This is a great thread as it is great to see someone modelling not just fussing about where the speaker goes inside the RTR loco. :good: :good:

• Like 1

G'day Folks

Clive

A lot of my work is trial and error, because I'm trying to make a body fit on a chassis that different from the real chassis, take the C1, it started life as a GWR 'Castle, and a more modern design than the C1, the motor is right at the top of the boiler, but after a lot of cutting, filing and scraping it now fits.

When my wife says' Why do you do it' I tell her (besides being fun) it's like doing a 3D puzzle, and I'm making all the parts. Although, I will admit, this one, is probably the hardest one I've done, so many angles, curves, etc. in such a small space.

Only four days to go Steve.

manna

• Like 4

Hi Manna

Last year I was inspired by this thread to have a go at building locos out of plastic and various other bits for myself. I've shamelessly copied your J3 but mine has a modern Hornby chassis. That was done last year and this year I decidied to tackle an O1 but unlike yours I used some Heljan bits to make the tender chassis and smokebox. I hope you don't mind me copying you and posting some photos on here.

Regards

Jamie

post-34820-0-67008800-1533664171_thumb.jpg

post-34820-0-73813900-1533664206_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

G'Day Folks

Hi, Jamie, you copy away, it's a good way to expand your skill base, I try to keep it simple (bit like me) as I find the more complicated the longer it takes, and often doesn't make a lot of difference to the finished model.

One thing you will have to learn is 'car body filler' it hides a multitude of sins......... :yes:

manna

G'Day Folks

Hi, Jamie, you copy away, it's a good way to expand your skill base, I try to keep it simple (bit like me) as I find the more complicated the longer it takes, and often doesn't make a lot of difference to the finished model.

One thing you will have to learn is 'car body filler' it hides a multitude of sins......... :yes:

manna

Hi Manna

Thanks for that tip. I'll try and remember to get some for when I next attempt a loco as I'm still trying to get the hang of GN cabs and tender flairs!

• Like 1

G'Day Folks 

Hi, Jamie,  Both take a lot of time, the more you make the better you will become, with cabs, make them to a scale drawing, even if your not making a loco, just for practice.

If you go to a Model railway show, keep an eye out for old Railway Modellers, they have drawings of GN locos, you'll have to check though them, though. All the best.

manna