Plymouth 16.7.71

Westerns have always been my favourite class, but looking at 808's purposeful snout, and knowing the power packed by the eight-wheelers, I could easily nominate these in corporate BFYE as my ultimate loco. Awesome! Incidentally, looking north-east from the station platform, am I right in thinking the Mutley multi-storey hasn't yet materialized at this date?

• RMweb Gold

Westerns have always been my favourite class, but looking at 808's purposeful snout, and knowing the power packed by the eight-wheelers, I could easily nominate these in corporate BFYE as my ultimate loco. Awesome! Incidentally, looking north-east from the station platform, am I right in thinking the Mutley multi-storey hasn't yet materialized at this date?

Nor until some years later.

Talking of the D8XX 'Warships and their power a useful feature was the '4-coupled' nature of the bogies which helped reduced wheelslip compared with individually powered axles. Mind you it could be interesting when they did start to slip :lol:

I just love stuff like this........

16.07.1971 was a Friday and 1A24 was a Saturday Only train (1A24 10.25 Newquay to Paddington) due to arrive at North Road at 12.15 and leave at 12.30.

On Saturday 17.07.1971 I had info that suggests 808 worked in from Newquay on 1M91 07.53 Newquay to Manchester and D1672 worked forward. However...... my info comes from official records and on the day changes due to incident or failure were not uncommon.

If the date is correct it isn't 1A24, if the date is correct the official records could be wrong.........

Which is which?? Can you confirm the picture is actually the Saturday??

I just love stuff like this........

16.07.1971 was a Friday and 1A24 was a Saturday Only train (1A24 10.25 Newquay to Paddington) due to arrive at North Road at 12.15 and leave at 12.30.

On Saturday 17.07.1971 I had info that suggests 808 worked in from Newquay on 1M91 07.53 Newquay to Manchester and D1672 worked forward. However...... my info comes from official records and on the day changes due to incident or failure were not uncommon.

If the date is correct it isn't 1A24, if the date is correct the official records could be wrong.........

Which is which?? Can you confirm the picture is actually the Saturday??

You've got the makings of another book there Mark wink.gif wink.gif

Nidge

Mark

It was a Saturday (sorry for the confusion) We had travelled down on the Friday for annual holidays in St Ives and B&B at Hayle .I travelled up to Plymouth to meet a friend also on holiday .Incidently on the Friday night when I went to check the times of up trains 7.00 -8.00 pm a Warship was on a passenger in Hayle station heading for Penzance. On the return jounrney train delayed at Par either we had failed or a train further up the line held for about an hour .I think I would have left around 3.30 -- 4.00 pm if that helps.

I attach a photo of 1692 taken at Plymouth the same day.

Druid

post-2565-12631505653046_thumb.jpg

Hi Druid,

The only passenger train at Hayle in the time frame you have given was 1V76 10.25 Manchester to Penzance (due Hayle 19.04 to 19.05) and that was D804 on the Friday. That was the last Down train of the day to call at Hayle. On the Saturday if you had of travelled Up to Plymouth on the 08.15 Penzance to Paddington that was D804 too, the 08.45 Up was D814.

Don't suppose you saw D868 that day did you? It came Up from Penzance on an as yet unidentidied / unconfirmed train to Plymouth and went back into Cornwall at 14.55 from Plymouth on 1V69. Going by the diagram it should of worked up on 2B15 the 07.15 Penzance to Plymouth, due at North Road at 09.32.

Regards,

Mark

From Plymouth on the Down you had the 14.55 departure (1V69 09.25 ex Derby); 15.10 departure (1V70 07.00 ex Bradford); 15.25 Departure (1B88 11.20 ex Paddington and the 16.00 departure (1V72 08.40 ex Manchester).

1V69 was 868; 1V72 was 835;

D814 was in trouble that day. It suffered a big transmission failure in the Par area around mid-day working the 1B04 08.15 Bristol to Penzance. Could be the culprit??

Mark

Nice pictures... oh how the "everyday" scene gets taken for granted at the time...!!!

This picture in particular also reminds me that there was a whole "BR Blue" Era that was just before "my" time... I only started trainspotting after TOPS came in, and headcodes went out...

post-2565-12631505653046.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I get trains from North Road a lot as I work in Plymouth at the University which is about 300 yards from the station.

Just wish the hydraulics were there as well, so excellent pics here.

The disappearance of headcodes in early 1976 was a real pain for spotters, it was very difficult for us to identify workings.

1971 prior to the huge cull of NBL 22s 43s, and Hymeks was pretty much the heyday for hydraulics, it was downhill from there.

I love these retro pictures of Plymouth. It's scarcely believable there was so much loco activity when you visit these days. It would be a great modelling prospect set in the early 70's. Justy think of the relatively small mileages locos did years ago - ripping off a Warship that had only come from Newquay!

I admire the detail of the records kept by the experts, I know my mate Roger Geach is a guru of this period and has masses of information. I wonder if someone in 2030 will have records of the HST's, 150's & 153's scuttling around today - and whether this type of information will be of any interest to a soul? Hopefully the SWRG records will be accessible in the distant future.

Mark

Thanks for the information much appreciated .Unfortunately I cant remember what I saw but must have recorded the numbers some where but I suspect long gone . I do remember that the train ahead of us whilst we were held at Par Station was a Western as could be seen held on the rise out of Par where the road goes through the underbridge with traffic lights near the clay works on the docks .

Later in the week took a trip to Penzance changed at St Erth . Western was shunting the milks and train to and from Penzance were also Westerns . I was in a transiton period were railways were concerned and didnt take any photos oh how I regret that now .

Likewise I spent a month in London for work in June 1972 travelling out and back of Paddington to Hammersmith everyday . Saw plently of Westerns ,Hymeks etc but didnt record a thing either written or photographic . Just memories .

I have some colour prints of scrap Westerns at Swindon Aug 78 which I will post when I retrive from the attic.

Andrew

Hiya, I've trawled the Western records and found that the 15.10 was D1067 and the 15.25 was D1071. If you had gone for the 16.40 or 17.20 you'd have been bowled big time with Class 47's (1660 and 1675). After that it got better...... the 18.55 Down was D1022 and the 19.15 was 832.

Incidentally the picture of the 1000 in the bay with 1A24 showing is 99.99999999% certain to be the loco which took over from 808 on that day which was D1064.

Just for interest I'm going to see if I can find out what 1692 worked. In came in on the 08.15 from Bristol (1B04), arriving at 11.00, which 814 worked forward and failed on at Par........ Winter evenings can be long!!! LOL ;-))

Mark

• 1 month later...

Mark

It was a Saturday (sorry for the confusion) We had travelled down on the Friday for annual holidays in St Ives and B&B at Hayle .I travelled up to Plymouth to meet a friend also on holiday .Incidently on the Friday night when I went to check the times of up trains 7.00 -8.00 pm a Warship was on a passenger in Hayle station heading for Penzance. On the return jounrney train delayed at Par either we had failed or a train further up the line held for about an hour .I think I would have left around 3.30 -- 4.00 pm if that helps.

I attach a photo of 1692 taken at Plymouth the same day.

Druid

Huge thanks to whoever bounced this thread, the picture of the early blue Brush is a fantastic weathering resource for that livery and is a huge help to a couple of these devices presently on the W/B.

Cheers!

• 8 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Huge thanks to whoever bounced this thread, the picture of the early blue Brush is a fantastic weathering resource for that livery and is a huge help to a couple of these devices presently on the W/B.

Cheers!

And its another example of a loco with 3 piece fixed rad grilles wearing BR blue...

Phil

Archived