The Refurbished Boozer "Mr Brunel's Hat"

As promised, here are some snaps of the "refurbished boozer", a.k.a The Old Blue Last, a.k.a. Mr Brunel's Hat.

First off, a general view:

post-123-0-20112900-1387557158.jpg

and another, showing the part low-relief terrace house *clad in brick, but awaiting further work:

post-123-0-49256800-1387557235.jpg

and another...

post-123-0-13050600-1387557269.jpg

The roof is like the proverbial Curate's egg... excellent in parts. This is the area that will be viewed the most:

post-123-0-27863900-1387557337.jpg

The ridge tiles seem oversized, but until they are painted, the York Model Making self adhesive ridge tiles always look oversized against a white background (I used the same SEF "tiles" and York Model Making ridge tiles on the Oldbury Road building for the BCB and it turned out quite acceptable after painting).

Finally, some views of the pavement - part SEF unaltered paving, part hand-laid paving made from individual SEF paving stones cut from the sheet.

post-123-0-07946500-1387557554.jpg post-123-0-97003900-1387557572.jpg

My final construction task is to finish the terrace houses (I'm going "cheap 'n' nasty") and then finish the painting

After I've finished painting, I'll have to "make good" on quite a lot. I then have to line the recessed stucco with gold lining and "dress" the building with signs and posters, etc. All going well, I'll start 2014 with an empty workplace and a completed MBH.

As always, witty, disrespectful and scathing critiques awaited...

iD

Brilliant!

My only comment Flavio, is that you would not normally see that kind of roof profile (of the terraced house) in the area where the real pub is located but I understand that you are re-siting it elsewhere anyway.

It's far too late at night for me to be witty, I'm afraid......

All the best, Pete.

Brilliant!

My only comment Flavio, is that you would not normally see that kind of roof profile (of the terraced house) in the area where the real pub is located but I understand that you are re-siting it elsewhere anyway....

good point, Pete. It is, I suppose, a generic terrace house that I'm using as a space filler. I may well replace it. I'll see what I can find at the St Alban's show in January. The 3/4 relief terrace house was only about an hour or so of work, so I can pretty easily bin it.

iD

Hi Flavio 

As ever an excellent piece of construction, only one very small query, were the dormer windows slate roofed or were they lead? 

SS

Thank you.

I really don't know if the dormer roofs are slate or lead, I was unable to get a clear enough view (Gogle Earth can only give you so much detail, even at maximum magnification [although I understand there are satellites that can provide detail down to 1m, but just for the military, alas]).

I chose slate to be consistent, but easy enough to correct if I'm wrong.

iD

p.s. Following a chat over Gluhwein with ChrisF this morning in Basel, the pub now has its' final and definitive name: THE BRUNEL

• 3 weeks later...

Right, sensation seekers, I am almost there. But having blown some LEDs with my cack-handed soldering (will pick up replacements this weekend at St Alban's show) and partly bu99ered up the rear (there will be more visible from the front than I had accounted for - so a re-think of the building's "big rear end" (Oooh, Matron...) is in order). Anyway, in no particular order, sequence or meaning, here are some "teaser" photos to show you that, yes, iD is doing some modelling....

post-123-0-81683300-1389286891.jpg post-123-0-82115900-1389286906.jpg

post-123-0-68643600-1389286920.jpg post-123-0-09567100-1389286933.jpg

post-123-0-88398500-1389286944.jpg

I know the photos are pretty awful, but they are quick snaps, just to get something out to show my financial backer (Mrs iD) that I haven't been frittering away my time and money.

Usual disclaimers apply.

Erudite critiques welcomed...

iD

Archived