N Gauge Wagons - PXA / FEA-(BEFS) / KTA / KFA / Binliners

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mark,

I imagine you know that Dapol already produce the FEA-B? There is an error though - the middle rib is offset and it should be central. The FEA-Bs also have bogies that aren't available in N - unless Dapol do them as spares?.

Also, you might want to consider producing the single unit FEA-E (identical to FEA-B but with buffers at both ends) that is used by Network Rail as well as intermodal operators.

Cheers

Ben A.

I suspect the FEA-E (Freightliner) and FEA-S (GBRF/Metronet) versions are near enough identical to each other. They are a pretty useful wagon, working in infrastructure roles (especially if you produced the modules too?) - but also commonly seen on intermodal/binliner/gypsum traffic these days.

Balfour Beatty also has singles (FEA-D) which look similar to the E and S except for not having a centre outrigger (so they can't take a 30' container or module)

The FEA-F version (Network Rail RHTT wagon) is similar, but slightly different in that the 'outriggers' are 'hollow' - i.e. differently shaped to let it have twistlocks instead of spigots, I think that does give it a slightly different look, and I think it might be something that's visible in N, i'll leave that to the N modellers to say!

Those 4 versions (D/E/F/S) are all probably close enough though that you could concentrate on designing one and then tweak the outrigger configurations to produce the other ones?

(There's also FEA-A and FEA-C paired ones out there, but they don't look especially similar...)

Some pics, if it helps:

http://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/F/FEA-Intermodal-flats

Hi Ben,

Yeah, the Dapol FEA's are great looking wagons, but very hard to get a hold of for anything approaching a reasonable price, so that's why I'm interested in doing them. I'd like a nice rake of them for the layout I'm involved in building.

Bogies are a bit of a problem, but I've had success printing US bogies in WSF and using Top Hat bearings. Granted they aren't as nicely detailed as injection moulded ones, but at a normal viewing distance I think it would need a very keen eye to pick them out.

Anyway, this is what I have so far for the FEA-B.

post-11575-0-73417200-1379693253_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Mark.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mark

Pretty neat work so far.  Looking at Martyn's previous post, and checking out the photos on his website, it is clear that the GBRf FEA-As are rather interesting, with a noticeably different spine profile (more tapered), oval body holes and different bogies (sideframe flat across the top.)

This shot illustrates the point nicely:

http://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/F/FEA-Intermodal-flats/FEA-A-intermodal-flats#!/i-ksmC6Qk/A

For the FEA-B which you have done, I'd say you've made a very good start.  I know how helpful a second pair of eyes can be sometimes though, and you may want to revisit the headstocks as they appear to be lower and flatter, with a less pronounced lip, than on your first draft CAD:

http://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/F/FEA-Intermodal-flats/FEA-B-Intermodal-Flats#!/i-LjfwMK3/A

Incidentally, while the Dapol FEA-Bs in Freightliner may be hard to find right now, they have listed them for another three runs in freightliner livery and they can be pre-ordered for around £20 (no containers) or £27 (with containers.)  I'd be surprised if your 3D print was much less than that for the pair, and you've still got to source axle bearings, wheels and couplers.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Premium

Dapol were selling FEAs with containers for £20 at Warley last year and I've picked up several sets for less via eBay. Not wishing to take away from what you've done, but the FEA-S or E may be better. Or even FSAs or another modern intermodal wagon.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the comments on the FEA-B.

I take on board that Dapol will be producing future batches but I'm not sure when they intend to go to production with them. If they appear in the next few years I dare say I will buy some of them. Now that I've started the FEA-B though, I will finish it, it's still a useful test bed for other things I might work on and it's practise if nothing else :jester:

Here's how it looks now. I've lowered the headstocks and actually removed the lip altogether on the ends. I've added the brake cylinders and air reservoirs so it's ready for a test print.

post-11575-0-41601600-1380210261_thumb.jpg

I've also designed these bogies for the FEA-B to be printed in WSF. Although they aren't too detailed, they should be accurate enough for normal viewing distances.

post-11575-0-94718400-1380210874_thumb.jpg

I've been looking at various other Intermodal Wagons, the FSA / FTA, KFA and EcoFret. As I have some rough dimensional drawings for the EcoFret, I'll probably move onto that first. But if anybody does have any dimensional drawings for the other types or know where they can be obtained that would be appreciated.

I've also started having a look at the new Biomass hoppers which are being used for Drax Power Station. I've only done the tops of the wagons so far and need to add some detail, but the overall shape is there as far as I can see.

post-11575-0-45198200-1380211146_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Mark.

Edited by Vonzack
  • Like 4

Hi Guys,

I managed to dig up some rough dimensions for a KFA and from pics on Martyn's excellent site, I've drafted my first pass at one.

From the various images there seems to be two main types and this one seemed easier to work with without any detailed dimensions. http://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/K-Tops-codes/KFA-Intermodal-flats/i-7ZRx3dz/A

post-11575-0-76282600-1380300186_thumb.jpg

post-11575-0-30180600-1380300185_thumb.jpg

post-11575-0-02546200-1380300186_thumb.jpg

I haven't drawn in the tanks etc. yet, but have I made any 'howlers' that need taking care of before I continue?

Cheers, Mark.

Edited by Vonzack
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Mark

The KFA is a great choice - it's the real "missing link" in containter flats and has been used in many different traffics.

My notes state that the KFAs were built in various batches by Standard Wagon, Powell Duffryn and Rautaruukki of Finland between 1983 and 1988; and many remain in service today.

I believe the British built ones are primarily associated with binliners and intermodal traffic, while the Finnish ones are considerably more numerous and associated with binliners, intermodal and MOD traffic.

Cursory examination suggests the one you're copying is of the Finnish type, which for me represents a better bet.

So far progress is looking good, though data I have seen suggests that the headstocks are the same width as the deck all the way along, though the container mounts and alignment guides do project out from the side. This photo should illustrate what I mean.  Ignore the third rail on the right that looks as though it's part of the deck!

post-420-0-14357000-1380316059_thumb.jpg

Here is an image of a prototype produced some years ago that unfortunately never went into production.   One difficulty is that the wagon is so spindly that it tends to be very light indeed.  Not a problem when loaded, but if you want to run them empty (to show off that lovely detail) then it may be worth considering either having it printed in heavier compound or metal, or incorporating into the design some metal weight.

post-420-0-03792000-1380315939_thumb.jpg

The FEA-B with revised headstock arrangement is looking good too.

cheers

Ben A.

Beautiful looking prototype Ben. I'd have gone with white metal bogie centres to get the weight where you want it but I guess you wanted to use ATM bogies 8)

I'm not sure you'd get one of those to print straight in any layered metal material - and it looks too long for the usual culprits 'lost wax' printing.

The centre of the wagon ought to be ok though - you've modelled a structurally strong arrangement of girder and trussing. If the ends droop you can in theory add some removable supporting bits.

Hi Guys,

Yeah, I struggled with the headstocks as the buffers seemed to stick out to far when they were the same width as the main deck. I've adjusted them now so that they are the same width and slimmed down the buffers. I hadn't realised the prototypes buffer end stuck out further than the wagon, but they must do and the picture Ben posted seems to support that.

I've added some additional structure under the wagon to beef it up a little. If the test print warps then I can always increase the deck depth or add some removable supports to aid the curing process. The FEA-B and this wagon also have a gap in the centre spine so that if needed some square section brass bar could be added (2mm x 2mm) and this should add enough weight to get good running.

post-11575-0-68670000-1380394581_thumb.jpg

Your KFA looked excellent Ben, which bogies were you planning to use with it?

Cheers, Mark.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mark

Your improved KFA looks very good.

I am guessing you've already got the drawings of the Eco-Fret wagons from here: http://www.vtg-rail.co.uk/v/s/content/165356

There is a specifications PDF on the right hand side of the page that can be downloaded and has very useful dimensioned drawings.

cheers

Ben A.

Hi,

I've just sent the KFA and the FEA-B to print, so hopefully in a week or two I'll have the samples back to see how well they worked. I've also sent the FEA-B bogies to see how they come out in WSF.

Here's a pic of the latest KFA, with a little bit more detail added.

post-11575-0-77159600-1380639709_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Mark.