N Gauge Wagons - PXA / FEA-(BEFS) / KTA / KFA / Binliners

• 1 month later...

Hi,

A quick update on progress with a few models.

Binliner Containers

I've been doing some more work on the BinLiner containers. I've tried all sorts of things to try and get the prices down, such as flattening the container and effectively printing it as a sprued kit, but amazingly, this increases the price. The cheapest way I've found to produce them is to print them whole and a dozen at a time. This seems to be the sweetspot for price and brings them down to around £8 each. The main problem is that most of the container designs have a kind of external skeleton and this is too pronounced to allow easy resin casting.

PXA / JXA

I've received a FUD test print of the PXA / JXA from Shapeways along with some Bogies for it which were done in BSF. I'm pretty happy with the looks of it and the dimensions seem to be fine when compared to other stock.

There were a couple of issues which needed some attention, the buffers didn't quite align laterally with other stock and on R1 curves the wheel flanges were catching on the underfloor ribbing, both easily sorted. I've also had to adjust the mount for the Dapol Nem Pocket as this was a little too low.

The print is a bit of a mess though and shows an excessive amount of layering on the sides of the wagon and definitely not something found in the STL. It's mainly the wagon sides that are affected and other wagons I've had printed that are similar to this, IOA / MJA print without any of these issues. I've put it down to a one off but will have to watch out for that on the next print.

post-11575-0-22412900-1465383783_thumb.jpg

post-11575-0-59611800-1465383792_thumb.jpg

post-11575-0-81987600-1465383802_thumb.jpg

post-11575-0-82848500-1465383811_thumb.jpg

post-11575-0-03535200-1465383820_thumb.jpg

post-11575-0-65919700-1465383828_thumb.jpg

IIA-C Biomass Doors (GBRf)

I decided to try and have these printed in HDA from Shapeways to see how they came out, I was hoping that the lifting gear would be a bit more viable. I placed an order, but for the past 6 weeks or so, I've just seen the status go from Pre-Production to Production, but if they do turn up then I'll show them on here.

Cheers, Mark.

• Like 3

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi Simon,

I've done a little more work on these wagons, but as I was looking back at the online pics trying to work out what to do for the brake gear I noticed some other details that I hadn't got on my original drawings.

The main thing was a seam between the chassis and the wagon sides, but allot of the wagons have picked up some small deflectors, which look to protect hardware on the bogies like the brake wheel. I'm guessing that these are being added when the wagons are refurbished, but there seems to be a real mix of these mods in traffic now. There also seem to be two kinds of bogey in use and these have an impact on the brake gear and the deflector mods.

I think rather than get distracted by all the different permutations, it might be easier to provide the deflectors for people to fit or not as they see fit. This way I can produce a single model which fits either the original production runs or the refurbished variant's. At this point I'm also going to just go with the bogies shown in the images above as this means one spec of brake gear too. Both of the wagon shapes can be seen on the same bogies, so it's prototypical.

Here are the wagons with the deflectors shown in place.

post-11575-0-62858000-1521201482_thumb.jpg

post-11575-0-30754300-1521201483_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Mark.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Looking back at the photos from June 8, 2016, I am pretty sure the layering on the sides of the wagons is the residue from the wax support material used for Shapeways FUD.  I haven't ordered from Shapeways since I first started out in 3D in 2012, as I wasn't impressed by the residue, although some people seem to get good results with FUD.  I have had some success on wagons with similar overhangs by making the underside of the overhang slope upwards, which can elimate the need for supports of any kind while not being too obvious on the finished model.  An example is the C-channel side sill in the screenshot.  I usually print in i.Materialise Standard Resin and, prior to that, their Grey Resin.

Temp XM Side Sill.jpg

Edited by Marbelup
Attached screenshot.

1 minute ago, Marbelup said:

Looking back at the photos from June 8, 2016, I am pretty sure the layering on the sides of the wagons is the residue from the wax support material used for Shapeways FUD.  I haven't ordered from Shapeways since I first started out in 3D in 2012, as I wasn't impressed by the residue, although some people seem to get good results with FUD.  I have had some success on wagons with similar overhangs by making the underside of the overhang slope upwards, which can elimate the need for supports of any kind while not being too obvious on the finished model.  I usually print in i.Materialise Standard Resin and, prior to that, their Grey Resin.

Heptane removes the wax completely, which you have to do to get good paint adhesion.

• 2 weeks later...

@bridgiesimon - Sorry no real update on the PXAs at the moment. I should have some time to pick all this stuff up now. I'll produce some of the brake gear, but will probably print it inside the wagon to keep the volume to a minimum.

@Marbelup - I thought the ripples were support residue too when I got the print as I'd seen something similar on the FUD Binliner containers, but it can't be removed and it is the actual surface. Weirdly and I think you can see this from the pictures, the insides of the wagon are smooth as are the buffer details and the top lip of the wagon side. I think on the 4th picture down, you can see where I've attacked part of the side to see if it would rub off. It's the only print to date that I've received like this and allot of my models have large flat sides, so I think it's just a printing glitch. When I order the next test print, hopefully it will be correct.

@Snowwolflair - I will have to give Heptane a go, is there one in particular you use?

Cheers, Mark.

Edited by Vonzack

22 minutes ago, Vonzack said:

@bridgiesimon - Sorry no real update on the PXAs at the moment. I should have some time to pick all this stuff up now. I'll produce some of the brake gear, but will probably print it inside the wagon to keep the volume to a minimum.

@Marbelup - I thought the ripples were support residue too when I got the print as I'd seen something similar on the FUD Binliner containers, but it can't be removed and it is the actual surface. Weirdly and I think you can see this from the pictures, the insides of the wagon are smooth as are the buffer details and the top lip of the wagon side. I think on the 4th picture down, you can see where I've attacked part of the side to see if it would rub off. It's the only print to date that I've received like this and allot of my models have large flat sides, so I think it's just a printing glitch. When I order the next test print, hopefully it will be correct.

@Snowwolflair - I will have to give Heptane a go, is there one in particular you use?

Cheers, Mark.

It is sold as a generic chemical from chemical merchants just do a web search.

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...