N Gauge Wagons - PXA / FEA-(BEFS) / KTA / KFA / Binliners

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi,

As I also have an interest in US Outline, here's something for over the pond, a QTTX 66' 4 Truck flatcar. It's designed to use Micro Trains 2 * 1023 couplers and 4 * 1036 Barber Roller Bearing trucks.

post-11575-0-71537300-1394559444_thumb.jpg

post-11575-0-43047200-1394559445.jpg

Cheers, Mark.

Edited by Vonzack
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I've done a little more work on the MJAs adding:

• End detail and buffers
  • Unloading doors
  • Mount for a Dapol Coupler Pocket
  • Drawbar system to keep the paired wagons together

Still need to add detail to the underside of the wagon and design the bogies.

post-11575-0-98554000-1396633095_thumb.jpg

post-11575-0-17454500-1396633097_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Mark.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I've been making a little more progress with things.

Bogies

A version of the Y25 for the KFA. These have been test printed and have come out really well.

post-11575-0-38828900-1397588974_thumb.jpg

A version of the F25 for the MJA / IOA / IIA-D. I've had to make a big compromise here with the bottom arms, and the spring mountings for fear that they would flex too much if they looked more like the prototype, but when the test prints arrive, I'll have an idea if these can be patched up.

post-11575-0-44596700-1397588973_thumb.jpg

KFAs and Binliners

I've been doing some experiments printing the KFA wagons in WSF along with some 20' Waste Containers to produce a Binliner train. As they generally run anything between 12-16 KFAs and sometimes with some FEA-Bs in the mix, I thought it would be a nice little project to do using only my printed wagons.

Of the various makes of waste containers I've seen from pics, I'm not really sure what area these are from, but they are white in colour and carry black CEC lettering on them - http://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/K-Tops-codes/KFA-Intermodal-flats/i-bg3nxJ3/A

I've had some test prints done and on the whole they have come out great. There was an issue with the twist locks on the containers as I tried to add detail for the openings, but on the prints this has just turned into a kind of I beam structure, so these have been removed. I also had these printed solid by 3DPRINTUK (www.3dprint-uk.co.uk), knowing that the KFAs would benefit from some added weight, but to be honest they have ended up way too heavy. So I've put a cavity back into the design and just left them with nice thick walls, which should add enough additional weight.

Here are some pics with the containers sat on some FUD KFAs fitted with the Y25 bogies.

post-11575-0-43300700-1397588972_thumb.jpg

post-11575-0-07298000-1397588970_thumb.jpg

post-11575-0-27240400-1397588971_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Mark.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mark,

That's all looking really good.  Having looked at the photo you linked to, is it worth doing the Gloucester GPS bogie on the flat in that shot?   Its more "angular" design might make it suited to the 3D design process, whereas the cast frame Y25 bogies have quite a rounded profile.

I believe the CEC containers are used for Edinburgh City Council's waste from Powderhall to Oxwellmains.  Looking on flickr it seems to be a train that throws up an interesting variety of traction.

It does vaguely irritate me that all the different binliner operators (Edinburgh, Bristol, Greater Manchester, N London, W London) all seem to have different types of container!  Shame there isn't a standard one.  Mind you, perhaps that's where 3D printing comes into its own?

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Mark

Jack (Rods of Revolution on here) has already done the TF25 bogies if you need some: https://www.shapeways.com/model/368276/tf25-x2-n-scale-1-148.html?li=shop-results&materialId=61

Cheers, Mike

Mike, yes I've seen those before and they do look really nice as do Jack's wagons on Shapeways.

Hi Mark,

That's all looking really good.  Having looked at the photo you linked to, is it worth doing the Gloucester GPS bogie on the flat in that shot?   Its more "angular" design might make it suited to the 3D design process, whereas the cast frame Y25 bogies have quite a rounded profile.

I believe the CEC containers are used for Edinburgh City Council's waste from Powderhall to Oxwellmains.  Looking on flickr it seems to be a train that throws up an interesting variety of traction.

It does vaguely irritate me that all the different binliner operators (Edinburgh, Bristol, Greater Manchester, N London, W London) all seem to have different types of container!  Shame there isn't a standard one.  Mind you, perhaps that's where 3D printing comes into its own?

cheers

Ben A.

Ben, Yes that bogie would be quite easy to do. I notice the flats in those images have a PFA TOPS code and they look very similar to the KFAs in most respects. Some change in the headstocks and container guides + fixings.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mark,

Yes, when first built in the mid 80s they were coded PFA; this was later changed to KFA. They were built by Standard Wagon at Heywood in, I think, 2 batches and also to a slightly different design by Rautaruukki in Finland. The Finnish ones are those operated by Tiphook with the rectangular buffers with container locating guides at the ends; Lthe standard wagon versions have the "square oval" buffers similar to those fitted to Class 66 locos.

The other obvious difference (at least, when the wagons are empty) is that the standard wagon versions have angled support cut outs in the deck.

This is the Standard wagon version:

http://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/K-Tops-codes/KFA-Intermodal-flats/i-s9Cdw9R/A

And this the Rautaruukki one:

http://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/K-Tops-codes/KFA-Intermodal-flats/i-7ZRx3dz/A

Cheers

Ben A.

Hi Mark

Jack (Rods of Revolution on here) has already done the TF25 bogies if you need some: https://www.shapeways.com/model/368276/tf25-x2-n-scale-1-148.html?li=shop-results&materialId=61

Cheers, Mike

These are the early type of TF25, with flat tops to the bogies. Fitted only to the Mendip JNAs, Petroplus TEAs and some of the Bardon JGAs (think that's all of them). Everything else TF25 fitted has a later variant that looks very similar but have a depressed centre to the top beam

jo

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jo,

I think the newer type TEA clay tankers (successors to the silver bullets) have the "straight top" TF25 bogies, but I struggle to look at those wagons for any length of time because they are just so ugly and look to me like they were made from components for other wagons stuck, unhappily, together!

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Porkie,

I've been ballasting our layout this week, so haven't been up to much on the 3d Printing front.

I did receive some different Waste Container designs this week printed in WSF, some of the Greater Manchester ones and some from Avon.

post-11575-0-34845600-1398446785_thumb.jpg

post-11575-0-05108300-1398446784_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Mark.

• Like 1

Hi,

@Dave,

I've been looking at making these available, at the moment, the containers are 3 for £10 + Postage. If anybody is interested, please PM me.

@Simon,

I'm having these done by a company (3DPrintUK) who charge based on the bounding volume of the print, so leaving walls etc out has no affect on the price. They do have a charge per model to account for cleaning, so I sprue 12 together at a time, which then counts as one model. I've attached a pic of the containers as they are sent for printing.

post-11575-0-85338300-1398699369_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Mark.

• Like 2

Hi WBF,

I've been drawing them from photo's. The only real dimensions I had to work with were the ISO Container dimensions for the twistlocks. With these in place in Sketchup, I then filled in the sides / ends / top as best I could referring back to the photo's for scale.

I think your version of the GMR container shades it for me still. My versions are lacking some small roof details and the door detail still needs some work. Have you thought about adding a version with a raised panel on the side, as this is what the current versions have that are painted blue and owned/operated by 'Viridor'.

The 45t crane looks fantastic as does your version of the IIA-D, particularly the detail you've put in on the chassis and unloading doors.

Cheers, Mark.

Edited by Vonzack

• 2 months later...

Hi,

It's been a while since I posted on the thread, but I've been making some progress with some new items.

ISO Containers

I've been thinking about doing these for a while now and have managed to draw up some pretty generic 20', 40' and 45' Cube and Hi Cube versions. These have been sent for a test print.

post-11575-0-26999700-1404242787_thumb.jpg

post-11575-0-80399600-1404242788_thumb.jpg

If they turn out OK, then I'm going to look at producing 20' and 40' Refrigerated versions and also Flatracks.

MJA Progress

I received some test prints of the MJAs a few days ago. On the whole everything is looking OK, but I need to have a serious re-think about the couplings. I'd designed in a mount for a Dapol NEM Pocket on the wagon Chassis, but this doesn't allow enough room for the bogies to swivel properly when on curves less than 18". It's clear from the prototype that mounting the couplings on the wagon chassis is a no go because of the position of the bogie. I still want to make use of the Dapol NEM Pockets, so I'm going to modify the bogie so that a coupling can be attached to it.

The prototype was Laser Sintered, so it looks a bit rough in places and lacks some definition of detail, but otherwise, its going in the right direction.

post-11575-0-68148000-1404245303_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Mark.

Edited by Vonzack
  • Like 3

Hi,

Just a quick update as I've had some time to address some of the issues with the MJA. I've re-engineered the drawbar, opting for a version that will be permanently fixed in place, its basically a bar with pins in either end rather than any kind of hook / loop. This will mean that the wagons will be permanently fixed together, but by permanently fixing the drawbar, it allows me to vastly reduce the size of the pivots and makes it look more prototypical. I'll see what they come out like and if they still look too big, then I'll opt for a version that uses suitable bent wire.

I've also modified my printed F25 bogies and added a mount for a Dapol NEM Pocket. It's amazing how large the outer pocket seems to be when compared to the bogies, but everything seems to fit and clear OK. I've opted to grip the outer pocket at four points (2 at the top and 2 at the bottom) and will see how this works out. It would be better to just glue the outer pocket onto a flat mount on the bogie, but given the depth of the material the outer pocket is made out of I'm not sure it would be a secure fit.

post-11575-0-96098900-1404490127_thumb.jpg

post-11575-0-15524900-1404490129_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Mark.

• Like 1