Links to (Pre Group) Line Societies.

This is the list of links I promised to do. Please note it is a work in progress. I know they are more and I will add them as and when I can find time.

Bishops Castle Railway Society

Brighton Circle (LBSCR)

Broad Gauge Society

Caledonian Railway Association

Colonel Stephens Society

Cumbrian Railways Association  (Railways of Cumbria, notably the Furness and Maryport and Carlisle)

Glasgow and South Western Railway Association

Great Central Railway Society

Great Eastern Railway Society

Great Northern Railway Society

Great North of Scotland Railway Association

Great Western Archive (Not limited to pre group)

GWR Modelling   (Not a line society and not confined to pre group, but  good source of data.)

Great Western Study Group

Highland Railway Society

Historical Model Railway Society   (OK, not a Line Society and not confined to pre-group, but I didn't think I could sensibly leave them out.)

Irish Railway Records Society

Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Society

London and North Western Railway Society

Midland Railway Society

M&GN Circle  (Midland and Great Northern Joint Railway)

Midland and South Western Junction  (This is a link to the Swindon's Other Railway website.)

North British Railway Study Group

North Eastern Railway Association

The North London Railway Historical Society

North Staffordshire Railway Study Group

Signalling Record Society   Not confined to pre-group, but an invaluable source of information on signalling.

Somerset and Dorset Railway Trust

South Eastern and Chatham Railway Society

South Western Circle (LSWR)

Tramway and Light Railway Society  (This society is actually mostly about trams, but some people like trams anyway, and they were definitely part of the pre-group urban scene.)

Welsh Railways Research Circle  (Covers all railways with a presence within Wales.)

Other Relevant Sites

Cumbria Railways    (Some very interesting and obscure stuff on here.)

Disused Stations

Great Central Railway Rolling Stock Trust

Hull and Barnsley Railway Stock Fund 

Pre-Group Goods Stock Liveries

Private Owner Wagon Index

The Signal Box           (A site with a great deal of information about signalling.)

Station (etc.) Colours  (The information for each pre-group company will be found under its 'Group'. Except Scotland, where they are under 'Scotland'.)

Vintage Carriages Trust

Thanks for the suggestions chaps. I have added a few more.

At the moment I have tended not to include preservation organisations. But I think I may start to list those, and archive locations, under a separate head. When I say 'preservation organisations' I am thinking of those with a pre-group focus like -for example - the Hull and Barnsley Rolling Stock Trust.

I am delighted by how many of these societies there are and (with a few sorry exceptions!) with the quality of their websites. I would join the lot if I was richer. As it is, these days I stick at the GCRS and the South Western Circle.

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

This thread hadn't been pinned so had sunk from sight, hence my starting a new thread. Is there any way to merge the two threads and get them pinned? 

I would add http://www.swindonsotherrailway.co.uk

As a great source for the Midland and South  Western Junction Railway  .. later GWR for that line

The Q

How could I forget the Midland Railway's route to Southampton!

This is the list of links I promised to do. Please note it is a work in progress. I know they are more and I will add them as and when I can find time.

Bishops Castle Railway Society

Brighton Circle (LBSCR)

Broad Gauge Society

Caledonian Railway Association

Colonel Stephens Society

Cumbrian Railways Association  (Railways of Cumbria, notably the Furness and Maryport and Carlisle)

Glasgow and South Western Railway Association

Great Central Railway Society

Great Eastern Railway Society

Great Northern Railway Society

Great North of Scotland Railway Association

Great Western Archive (Not limited to pre group)

GWR Modelling   (Not a line society and not confined to pre group, but  good source of data.)

Great Western Study Group

Highland Railway Society

Historical Model Railway Society   (OK, not a Line Society and not confined to pre-group, but I didn't think I could sensibly leave them out.)

Irish Railway Records Society

Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Society

London and North Western Railway Society

Midland Railway Society

M&GN Circle  (Midland and Great Northern Joint Railway)

Midland and South Western Junction  (This is a link to the Swindon's Other Railway website.)

North British Railway Study Group

North Eastern Railway Association

The North London Railway Historical Society

North Staffordshire Railway Study Group

Signalling Record Society   Not confined to pre-group, but an invaluable source of information on signalling.

Somerset and Dorset Railway Trust

South Eastern and Chatham Railway Society

South Western Circle (LSWR)

Tramway and Light Railway Society  (This society is actually mostly about trams, but some people like trams anyway, and they were definitely part of the pre-group urban scene.)

Welsh Railways Research Circle  (Covers all railways with a presence within Wales.)

Other Relevant Sites

Cumbria Railways    (Some very interesting and obscure stuff on here.)

Disused Stations

Great Central Railway Rolling Stock Trust

Hull and Barnsley Railway Stock Fund 

Pre-Group Goods Stock Liveries

Private Owner Wagon Index

The Signal Box           (A site with a great deal of information about signalling.)

Station (etc.) Colours  (The information for each pre-group company will be found under its 'Group'. Except Scotland, where they are under 'Scotland'.)

Vintage Carriages Trust

Quite a few I'd missed there!

Broad Gauge Society http://www.broadgauge.org.uk/

That's surely a gauge society not a line society - so orthogonal to our purpose!

I'll add the Breakdown Crane Association: http://www.bdca.org.uk/index.html.

This thread hadn't been pinned so had sunk from sight, hence my starting a new thread. Is there any way to merge the two threads and get them pinned? 

Quite a few I'd missed there!

That's surely a gauge society not a line society - so orthogonal to our purpose!

I'll add the Breakdown Crane Association: http://www.bdca.org.uk/index.html.

In the sense that it covers a bit of the Midland and LSWR as well, plus a few other random bits, but who else has the same level of knowledge about a major part of the GWR, and produces the majority of kits for it?

• RMweb Premium

Or the London and South Western Railways route to Birmingham.

• RMweb Premium

Or the London and South Western Railways route to Birmingham.

I'm not aware of any regular through working of LSWR carriages to the north via the MSWJR but would love to know if there were!

There were certainly Midland through carriages to Southampton and Bournemouth via the MSWJR and LSWR. Hence my choice of phrase. Also, the Midland supported the MSWJR financially - e.g. with loans to enable the doubling of the line around 1900. It was really quite illogical to kill the line off by putting it in the GW group in 1923 - certainly the Midland board must have been disappointed. 

• RMweb Premium

I'm not aware of any regular through working of LSWR carriages to the north via the MSWJR but would love to know if there were!

There were certainly Midland through carriages to Southampton and Bournemouth via the MSWJR and LSWR. Hence my choice of phrase. Also, the Midland supported the MSWJR financially - e.g. with loans to enable the doubling of the line around 1900. It was really quite illogical to kill the line off by putting it in the GW group in 1923 - certainly the Midland board must have been disappointed. 

I don't think there were any permanent scheduled carriages to the north that were LSWR, but Passengers were routed that way  using either the Midlands or MSWJRs carriages. This map shows it's importance to LSWR http://www.semgonline.com/sr_map/lswrmap3.html . LSWR having supported the MSWJR before Midlands influence, particularly with the loan of Sir Sam Fay in 1892.

I'd agree giving the line to GWR was a disaster for the line, as GWR very shorty started running down the line, many of their line reductions having to be reinstated for WW2. Had the line been given to a LMS / SR joint grouping I think there would have been investment into the line.

I think the GWR wanted MSWJR to reduce competion with the Newbury line it certainly wasn't for the money!!.

Archived