Remains of the North British in Northumberland

• RMweb Gold

As I'm sure most people know the North British  Border Counties Railway ran from  Riccarton Junction to just west of Hexham.

There was also the "Wannie" line from Reedsmouth (or Redesmouth) Junction to Morpeth, which had a branch from Scotsgap Junction to Rothbury.

There is a thread here on the Border Counties line: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/39128-border-counties-railway/

Having lived in Northumberland for over thirty years I have a number of photos of the remains of the ex NBR and thought it was worth starting a new thread to put them on RM Web.  The images will also appear on flickr.

Images will be added as and when I get time (and when I take new ones). 

Contributions and comments from everyone are welcome.

I'll start with a few I took this afternoon on the Rothbury branch while I was visiting Fontburn Reservoir.  The place names should be sufficient for most of you to work out where they were taken, if not I'll try to remember to add OS Grid references.

post-5613-0-06801000-1376498297_thumb.jpg

Fontburn viaduct DSC_1078

post-5613-0-44410200-1376498307_thumb.jpg

South of Fontburn viaduct DSC_1079

post-5613-0-00446000-1376498292_thumb.jpg

Embankment south of Fontburn viaduct 2 DSC_1080

post-5613-0-09444700-1376498281_thumb.jpg

View south from Rothley Bridge DSC_1081

post-5613-0-13506900-1376498313_thumb.jpg

View north fom Rothley Bridge DSC_1082

post-5613-0-02166900-1376498302_thumb.jpg

Rothley Bridge DSC_1083

post-5613-0-30848700-1376498286_thumb.jpg

B6342 bridge near Rothley cross roads DSC_1084

For those who don't know Northumberland well it should be apparent that there is a lot of empty countryside.

David

• Like 17

Thank you for the pictures Northumberland is my favourite county(14yrs on the trot holidays) is the island platform and building still extant as you come out of Alnwick towards Rothbury you look right upon leaving the town.There used to be a combine harvester dealer just before the station site?

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for the pictures Northumberland is my favourite county(14yrs on the trot holidays) is the island platform and building still extant as you come out of Alnwick towards Rothbury you look right upon leaving the town.There used to be a combine harvester dealer just before the station site?

As far as I know (it's a few months since I was in that part of the county) there haven't been many changes to the remains of stations on the North Easter's Alnwick to Coldstream line.

If it has an island platform I think you must be thinking of Whittingham, which I believe was sold recently so things may change there.  Photos around there will appear in another thread in due course.

David

• 10 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

For various reasons it's been a long time since I posted on here.  Here are a few more photos of the reamins on the NBR in Northumberland.

The first three images are of bridge 91, just to the west of Bellingham station.  It was built as a double track bridge.  As far as I can see from older photos there were always railings on one side and a stone parapet on the other.  The road it carries was diverted when the railway was built to avoid having a level crossing.  The road is the one from Bellingham to Otterburn. which is a very nice drive through empty countryside.

The view from the bridge to the west is obscured by trees.

post-5613-0-49524700-1405001757_thumb.jpg

Bellingham Bridge 91 west of station built to double track standards 9th July 2014 DSC _3607

post-5613-0-69747900-1405001749_thumb.jpg

Bellingham Bridge 91 view towards station 9th July 2014 DSC_3608

post-5613-0-75339900-1405001742_thumb.jpg

Bellingham Bridge 91 built to double track standards 9th July 2014 DSC_3609

David

Edited to correct spelling.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

A few more.

post-5613-0-52613900-1405266965_thumb.jpg

Redesmouth Bridge over Redesmouth to Bellingham road DSC_3610

This bridge is situated a little to the rest of Reedsmouth (or Redesmouth) on the road from Bellingham to Reedsmouth.

post-5613-0-57203600-1405266951_thumb.jpg

Knowesgate small bridge to west of A696 9th July 2014 DSC _3631

This is a closer view of the same small bridge.

post-5613-0-15332900-1405266958_thumb.jpg

Knowesgate small bridge to west of A696 9th July 2014 DSC_3632

Knowesgate station, which was built to serve Kirkwelpington, is just to the east of here, on the east side of the A696.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I spent a little while today looking at the branch from Scotsgap to Rothbury while I was out for a ride in the car.

I got a photo of the Fontburn viaduct, those who know the area will realise I was standing on the road across the dam to take the photo.  The building are part of the Northumbrian Water installation connected with Fontburn Reservoir.

post-5613-0-35574300-1406737905_thumb.jpg

Fontburn viaduct (again)

I also had a look at the remains of Ewesley station,  Ewesley is the name of the nearby tiny hamlet which when the railway was built had 19 inhabitants.  The station building still exists, you can see the chimney pots in one of the photos, it is now a private house and not really easy to take photos of.

The station was built on the site of an Ancient British encampment and had a 90 yard long platform, a 100 yard long siding facing the down direction giving access to dock facilities and a 350 yard long siding installed facing the up direction in the early 1890s when the station became a block post and trains needed to pass there.   When trains needed to pass one had to set back into the siding.  It ceased to be a block post in 1945.

Information from "The North British Railway in Northumberland, G W M Sewell, published by Merlin Books ISBN 0 86303 613 9.   Out of print and not always easy to find now.

The last photo shows what the area is like for people unfamiliar with Northumberland.

post-5613-0-13816200-1406737888_thumb.jpg

Ewesley station bridge over B6342 abutments

The road is the "main road" south from Rothbury.

post-5613-0-46913900-1406737899_thumb.jpg

Ewesley station

post-5613-0-83664100-1406737892_thumb.jpg

Ewesley looking towards Simonside

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Here are another three NB remnants in Northumberland.

The first if the viaduct at Keilder. the road beyond leads to the reservoir and was flooded. That's my Hillman Avenger in the foreground with my wife's arm much in evidence.

The second is on the line from Morpeth to Woodburn. I believe this is Meldon, now a private residence but with  the platform still very much in evidence.

The third is an occupation under bridge on the approach to Rothbury from Scots Gap.

There are other remains on the Border Counties line. The last time that I was there the viaduct at Chollerton was still there. There are still some remnants in Scots Gap itself. Somewhere I have photographs taken there but I have not yet scanned the slides.

ArthurK

post-6751-0-75941100-1406830716_thumb.jpg

post-6751-0-57707400-1406830789_thumb.jpg

post-6751-0-09441200-1406830840_thumb.jpg

Edited by ArthurK
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

here are another three MB remnants in Northumberland.

The first if the viaduct at Keilder. the road beyond leads to the reservoir and was flooded. That's my Hillman Avenger in the foreground with my wife's arm much in evidence.

The second is on the line from Morpeth to Woodburn. I believe this is Meldon, now a private residence but with  the platform still very much in evidence.

The third is an occupation under bridge on the approach to Rothbury from Scots Gap.

There are other remains on the Border Counties line. The last time that I was there the viaduct at Chollerton was still there. There are still some remnants in Scots Gap itself. Somewhere I have photographs taken there but I have not yet scanned the slides.

ArthurK

Arthur,

Thanks very much for these.

One day I'll finish photographing the rest f the remains.  Where does the time go now I'm retired?

David

• RMweb Gold

A few more on the Rothbury branch around Longwitton Station and just north of it.

post-5613-0-14457400-1406834135_thumb.jpg

Longwitton view east April 1981

post-5613-0-19315800-1406834151_thumb.jpg

Longwitton view east after removal of buildings 11th December 1993

The same view as the first image.

post-5613-0-95195700-1406834184_thumb.jpg

Longwitton view along station approach road 11th December 1993 C19205

post-5613-0-46890200-1406834157_thumb.jpg

Rothley Bridge and trackbed from the south August 1981 J7549

David

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

A couple more photos, taken quite a long time ago on slide film.  I think I took these during a work related visit to Kielder Water. 

post-5613-0-17606200-1410085372_thumb.jpg

Kielder viaduct April 1981 C5331

post-5613-0-51957800-1410085376_thumb.jpg

Tarset   Embankment of line to Riccarton Junction April 1981C5330a

David

• Like 6

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

I came across a couple of slides that I took with my dad of Longwitton, I suspect in the early 1980s. The quality is nothing special, not compared to some of the beautiful images on here. But the details they show are very valuable - hence my posting. Having said that, the first one is a fairly typical view from the bridge and probably shows nothing much except to those who like trees: 

post-708-0-29686900-1494002734_thumb.jpg

But the next one is a real find, as it shows the grounded coach body in detail I've never seen before: 

post-708-0-08602000-1494002831_thumb.jpg

Note that the horizontal planking/slats that covered the lower half of the sides in most photos of the station when in use have been removed, revealing the panelling below.

I idly googled something like "panelled carriage" and got this: http://www.worsleyworks.co.uk/Images/LTSE/1.jpg

I ordered one and the panelling looks absolutely spot-on, even on the ends, with the same 7 panels: 

post-708-0-33864700-1494002997_thumb.jpg

post-708-0-70511700-1494003028_thumb.jpg

It also has the same three-point curve on the windows and panels, with the door windows slightly wider than the ones either side, as on the prototype.

It's certainly close enough for the model, but it raises the question of whether an LTSR carriage could have made its way up to rural Northumberland. Or was there some generic style that the NB and the LTSR shared? 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I came across a couple of slides that I took with my dad of Longwitton, I suspect in the early 1980s. The quality is nothing special, not compared to some of the beautiful images on here. But the details they show are very valuable - hence my posting. Having said that, the first one is a fairly typical view from the bridge and probably shows nothing much except to those who like trees: 

attachicon.gifPICT0265small.jpg

But the next one is a real find, as it shows the grounded coach body in detail I've never seen before: 

attachicon.gifPICT0260small.jpg

Note that the horizontal planking/slats that covered the lower half of the sides in most photos of the station when in use have been removed, revealing the panelling below.

I idly googled something like "panelled carriage" and got this: http://www.worsleyworks.co.uk/Images/LTSE/1.jpg

I ordered one and the panelling looks absolutely spot-on, even on the ends, with the same 7 panels: 

attachicon.gif20170505_173524small.jpg

attachicon.gif20170505_173827small.jpg

It also has the same three-point curve on the windows and panels, with the door windows slightly wider than the ones either side, as on the prototype.

It's certainly close enough for the model, but it raises the question of whether an LTSR carriage could have made its way up to rural Northumberland. Or was there some generic style that the NB and the LTSR shared? 

Daddyman,

Those photos show a lot more detail than any of mine taken there, thanks very much for posting them.

I doubt it is an ex LTSR coach at the station, but most companies' coaches shared a lot of common features, at least on a first look.

Perhaps someone on RMWeb can give more information.

One day I'll add more photos to the thread, but haven't had time to sort out any more scans or take any new photos recently.

David

• RMweb Premium

Daddyman,

Those photos show a lot more detail than any of mine taken there, thanks very much for posting them.

I doubt it is an ex LTSR coach at the station, but most companies' coaches shared a lot of common features, at least on a first look.

Perhaps someone on RMWeb can give more information.

One day I'll add more photos to the thread, but haven't had time to sort out any more scans or take any new photos recently.

David

I doubt it too, but how weird that it's so close in so many ways (said by someone who knows nothing about pre-grouping coaches). 

• RMweb Gold

David

Dave. Like many others I am very grateful and indebted to you for the photos and memories you provide on your other threads. I also am retired but still wonder where the time goes and so I do appreciate the time you already commit to providing most of us with a daily "fix". However, and being completely selfish on this occasion, if you can find a little time in future to add any more photos of this area I would be very grateful. Rothbury and surrounding area is one of my favourite parts of the country, so beautiful. Adding railways to that countryside, especially from the past, makes a great combination.

Thank you again.

• Like 1

Just come across this thread, so many thanks to the OP and others.

I started to scan some slide last winter but did not get very far.

I remembered I had a few from that part of the world. Mainly NER territory but lets try these.

A typical small bridge which is very similar to other examples already posted.

A larger structure which might be near Bellingham but at present I cannot identify it. Any suggestions?

Bernard

post-149-0-14834100-1494078475.jpg

post-149-0-17904300-1494078485.jpg

• Like 5

the next one is a real find, as it shows the grounded coach body in detail I've never seen before:

If you compare it to the coach on the NBR Study Group's carriage page it would appear to be of the same pattern (said to be by Ashbury), albeit a First instead of a Third. A lot of pre-grouping coaches were built by outside contractors, though the larger companies moved away from this in the latter part of the 19th Century. If you look around enough you'll probably find near identical bodies elsewhere too. This one at Chester looks to share the same end and panelling pattern (7 panel end, round topped windows, beading at waist level - well, what's left of it).

• RMweb Premium

Just come across this thread, so many thanks to the OP and others.

I started to scan some slide last winter but did not get very far.

I remembered I had a few from that part of the world. Mainly NER territory but lets try these.

A typical small bridge which is very similar to other examples already posted.

A larger structure which might be near Bellingham but at present I cannot identify it. Any suggestions?

Bernard

attachicon.gifPICT0002.JPG

attachicon.gifPICT0005.JPG

Nice to see we're getting this thread going again! 

The first photo I don't know, but the second is definitely near Chollerton, a bit north of Hexham. If you have Robotham's "On the Waverley Route" (Ian Allan) there's a picture of it with a Scott crossing on page 57. 

• RMweb Premium

If you compare it to the coach on the NBR Study Group's carriage page it would appear to be of the same pattern (said to be by Ashbury), albeit a First instead of a Third. A lot of pre-grouping coaches were built by outside contractors, though the larger companies moved away from this in the latter part of the 19th Century. If you look around enough you'll probably find near identical bodies elsewhere too. This one at Chester looks to share the same end and panelling pattern (7 panel end, round topped windows, beading at waist level - well, what's left of it).

Thanks for the suggestion, but if you mean the colour painting on the index page, no, it's nothing like that: the windows are not the same at all. On the one at Chester, the three panels/windows between the doors are all the same size, whereas on the one at Longwitton the centre one is a different size, as on the LTSR carriage. 

• RMweb Gold

I do hope that other people with photos will post them as all my photos are 1980 onwards.

Here are a couple more I've found today, sorry about the quality, they were taken on a typical February day in Northumberland.

post-5613-0-74194100-1494104980_thumb.jpg

Morpeth High Common trackbed of NBR line to Scotsgap view west Feb 80 C4958  The road is the A1 Morpeth by pass.

post-5613-0-17404100-1494104975_thumb.jpg

Morpeth High Common trackbed of NBR line to Scotsgap view east towards Morpeth  Feb 80 C4959

David

• Like 6

Thanks for the suggestion, but if you mean the colour painting on the index page, no, it's nothing like that: the windows are not the same at all. On the one at Chester, the three panels/windows between the doors are all the same size, whereas on the one at Longwitton the centre one is a different size, as on the LTSR carriage. 

I did mean the 'family resemblance' (so the windows are square at the bottom and elliptical at the top) rather than the exact same arrangement of windows. Also the NBR coach (probably all First Class) at Longwitton has that same oval inset in the door as the Third on the link. Companies like Ashbury (based in Manchester) would build coaches for different companies across the country and would have supplied a 'standard' pattern design where a company did not have it's own drawings.