Class 57/3

Bumpkin

Whilst flicking through the realms of Hattons I noticed that they are releasing the Class 57/3 in both Network Rail and Direct Rail Services, the picture shown (even though the picture is of the OO model) shows it having the Dellner coupler on the noses, does anybody know if it will have the Dellner fitted as the prototypes do?  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Is there any irony that they have just got around to doing this version of the 57s as Virgin have now stopped using them?

Admittedly I dont know what livery Farish plan.

Network Rail have begun using them with Multiple Units, so that would be prototypical still.

Regards

Some of the Network Rail Yellow 57/3s have been fitted with revised couplings, so they can drag failed EMUs out of trouble.

We just need an Electrostar in N now...

Most of them still have the Dellners, just at a revised height so that they can couple to stock with couplers at a normal height (Pendolinos and Voyagers aren't standard). A couple of them have tightlock couplers fitted, but as I understand it the coupler heads are interchangeable so any given loco can be fitted with either a Dellner or a Tightlock, as required.

The locos now with DRS are unaltered as they are still used as thunderbirds for Virgin.

The four sold to WCRC have had the coupler heads and part of the mechanism removed, but the hinged mounting is still there so far as I can see from photos.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been looking forward to thses coming out, but looking at the pictures it appears the dellner coupler is a single black plasticky moulding. In reality it appears to me that the coupler is mainly dirty yellow or base metal with a few black tubes. Does anyone have one of these and have they tried taking it apart?

Does the coupler come off easily for a little bit of paint?

Cheers and happy Christmas.

David

Archived