Tram Tracks

RichardS

Hello, I have been asked to help a friend make an HO continental model tramway. He has grand plans and a budget and I have some railway modelling experience. Not an auspicious start is it?

To begin with we need a plan and to arrive at this stage we need to know what track to use. I've found a website:  http://www.tramwayinfo.com/    which gives useful information about dimensions and general geometry. But I cannot find much about ready to run track systems.

I note that the tramwayinfo site suggests using Peco code 75. Also I am aware of the Luna track system which would be suitable - but it is costly and could consume a huge chunk of the budget. I have also heard of Swedtrack but that seems to be suitable for more bespoke situations. 

With all the tram models available on the continent there must surely be an economical system suitable for a largely urban environment. I am beginning to think there is not. Can anybody suggest a solution please?

Apologies if this subject has been addressed in earlier postings.

Many thanks

RichardS 

Hi Richard,

Trackwork is the perennial stumbling block for tramway modelling...

There have been several threads over the years on this and the old version of the forum.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/44613-tram-rails/

is probably a good starting point as it also includes links to several other similar threads.

Paul

You said continental ... it would help to know which country.

For instance, in Belgium the present practice is to use grooved rail only on street running sections, all reserved sections are conventional light rail formations - but so heavily ballasted that the sleepers are often invisible. They are also quite fond of running track through areas that are allowed to grass over - again only the rails are visible.

Thanks folks for the replies above.

The desired location is Central Europe -  Czech/East Germany was mentioned.  

I'll investigate the older threads.

As I could not find a prominent off the shelf solution I began to expect that track was probably a stumbling block. Never mind.

Thanks again.

Richard.

On the Silesia Tramways system (in Poland) all street track is grooved. Once out of the street, it is conventional railway track. Given that the system gets no weed killing, before long the reserved sections are a mass of weeds and the more remote sections, in Ruda Slaska are just a mass of grass with the rails cutting through it. Have a look on You Tube at 'Katowice trams', there are a mass of videos showing all types of trams and track.

When I lived in Ostrava in Czech Republic, the tramway system was very well maintained and the reserve sections were like main line railway - no weeds in sight! Again the system was grooved in town and normal rail track on the reservations.

You could try Tillig tramway track which is available in HO and HOm for street running. www.tillig.com is their website. I believe their UK distributor is International Models. Again, it looks expensive - 50 euros for a point and half a run round loop!

David C

For HO/OO scale tramways plain track, you can use just regular flexible track with DAS modelling clay stuffed in the middle. There are various methods to clearing out the flangeway. One would be to use 1mm thick strips of plastic against the inside of the rail heads whilst putting in the clay. Yet another option is to buy lengths of plastic angle from evergreen (2.5mm for code 100) and glue these in between the rails. They will prevent over-spill of either DAS clay or plaster or whatever you use to pave the middle of the tracks.

Whatever you do, I would recommend having the rail heads slightly proud of the road surface. This will make maintenance easier. Ie. You will be able to clean the rail heads without damaging the model paving.

If you get a chance try to hunt down a copy of David Voice's book -  "How to Go Tram & Tramway Modelling". It's up to about it's 3rd edition now and has a useful chapter on modelling trackwork. A simple Google should easily locate a copy.

Eric

Making your own isn't that hard and if your using it as street track it doesn't even have to be pretty, merely functional.

Until I extended my layout I had never constructed a copperclad based point ever (railway or tramway) so thought I'd start with something easy, a double crossing with return spur and a terminal stub! All went together ok and works well, points motorised with Seep motors.

Track is Peco code 75 flat bottom rail soldered to pcb sleepering, road surface is ready to use plaster scribed when dry.......

Now working on a half grand junction and a depot fan......

.post-7067-0-43405700-1378320123_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...

Thanks for the more recent comments on my OT. Apologies for the lateness of this post.

We had  bit of a hiatus in the project but now it is full steam ahead. Decisions regarding the track have been made and we have settled on PECO Code 100 for the grass reserve and countryside and Tillig-Bahn Luna track for the town areas.

The baseboards have been built and we shall be track laying and wiring very soon.

I'll try and post some pictures as we progress.

RichardS 

scissors-xing-rtr-over-700.jpg

Please be aware that there has been a lot more in the way of tram track developments and movement towards affordable RTR track happening since this thread was started. You can view the Facebook Tramway Modelling group page for a lot of recent details.

Andy

Andy.

In some UK industrial sites they use similar pointwork.  Chatham Dockyard for example.  Any idea what radius they would use for these?  The largest wagons normally shunted would be 10' wheelbase 17'6" over buffers.  Locomotives would be 4 wheeled.

I've just motorised two Corgi OOC Felthams with the Bec Kits trucks, one end entrance, and one "Cissie". I'm starting to look for track. I've got and avidly read David Voice's book "how to go Tram and Tramway Modelling" as well as his book on modelling London Trams, and read through various threads on here.

It strikes me that there are two alternatives for good looking street running. Electric Avenue/Proto 87 and Richard Orr/Swedtram. At the moment I'm leaning towards the Swedtram track as it doesn't tie me to any set radlus, unlike the Proto 87 which seems to have fixed radii only. what I would like to do is buy some Proto 87 and some Swedtram to compare them for real.

Electric Avenue is easy to buy in the UK from the Proto 87 web site, but despite searching on the 'net, I can't find a UK stockist/retailer for the Swedtram track, apologies if I've missed the blindingly obvious. Is there one, or do I have to buy direct from Swedtram, and has anyone got any experience of buying direct from them?

I've managed to find a retailer in Germany who has Swedtram track. The straight track is reasonably priced at EUR6.99 for 1 metre or EUR62.99 for 10 metres, but a point is EUR49.95, which I think is going to put it out of my price range. I think I'm going to have to wait until the Festival of Model Tramways in Manchester later this year and see what's available. 

Werner quite often brings his layout over to the Festival of Tramways modelling, don't know for certain if he's doing M/cr this year as the layout list hasn't been released yet.

There isn't a UK supplier for Orr/Swedetram rail etc, someone was looking into it but to my knowledge nothing has happened.

As to trade support at the Festival, you may get hold of some Electric Avenue, but other than that you'll probably not find anything else. 

Sorry if those are all negative comments, but those are the facts (as I know them)

• 2 months later...

I went to the Festival of Model Tramways last weekend in Manchester, and thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Werner Jurkowski (hope I've got his name right, apologies if i haven't), which uses Proto 87 tram track, see the Proto 87 site. What was putting me off the Proto 87 is the fixed radii of the curves, and the 2 inch double track spacing. But Werner told me that it is possible to adjust the curvature, if done carefully, so I should be able to close up the spacing to something closer to 4 cm (1.6 inches). I also talked to David Voice about the Swedtram track and he felt that it was a little overscale for 4mm, and probably better suited to 7mm modelling. So I'm going to go with Proto 87 on the grounds of ready availability in the UK, the look of the track, and the much lower cost of turnouts than Swedtram.

I do have a request for Andy Reichert however and the Proto 87 site. Trying to work out what you want from the special parts section on the Proto 87 track is somewhat confusing for tramway novices like me. Double junction or 2 turnouts I understand, but what is the "Points upgrade". Likewise, what's the difference between the standard points and "Modern Guarded" points. A short explanation, or even a picture showing what you get with each option would be a considerable help for absolute tramway beginners like me. 

My website development paused about a year ago, when we were hit with yet another serious family illness. So I've been very lax in making updates since then.

The site is in need of some better arrangement and clarity of product options and a lot of the products are missing individual pictures. I have been thinking of better ways to display those and will be working on it again when I get back home early next month. Ditto for more explanation to my posted answers.

Werner has already given me a lot of data to help me add European double track spacing (where needed )  to the track range. So it's in my plans. The double guarded point turnouts are the same 8"/10" radius as the regular ones for streetcar use. A lot of the newer lines over here in the US have them now.

The "industrial avenue" points are the 11 ft long straight type copied from normal railroad paved track blueprints, so you can make regular #4, #5 and #6 paved turnouts for docksides, trucking areas, etc. According to the drawings, those points are also double guarded, but I have come across some prototypes more recently that are not.

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

.........Werner has already given me a lot of data to help me add European double track spacing (where needed )  to the track range. So it's in my plans.....

Andy,

Sorry to hear that members of your family have been ill.

Before I go ahead and order Elec Ave track, can you give me some idea when you might be developing European double track spacing?

Archived