layout in a polytunnel

Adamphillip

Temperature could be an issue.  Too hot in summer too cold in winter.

Humidity could be an issue.  What is good for plants is bad for cardboard, steel and electrical stuff.

Lighting could be an issue.  You wont get much time working / playing on it in December. If you install lighting the local plod will probably think its a cannabis farm and raid it.

Durability could be an issue.  Poly tunnels have a finite lifespan, which might be less than you want from the layout.

BUT, if that's the only space available to you, its still possible.  I would suggest you build it as a portable layout, even if you don't intend to exhibit it so that:

• You can take modules into the house to work on them.
  • You can bring it all indoors if the tunnel springs a leak or we experience a heatwave or a cold snap.

Good luck!

well its either this or a small 6x8 shed

Having worked in polytunnels in the past, I'd go for the garden shed option, but build part of the layout outside to give yourself some space to run things. Given the curved nature of the structure, if you were to build the layout at anything above ground level, you'd not have that much width anyway (probably less than 6')

If you're prepared to duck under the baseboard and come up inside the mountain to access any trains that get "stuck" in the tunnels, you can probably give yourself a 12' x 5' space, which should be enough to get a decent sized layout with most of the characteristics of the one in the video.

The sections of the mountain would also need to be made removable to enable construction/maintenance of the scenery - that's how Pendon's put together!

i worked out the size of that layout, it is 6 by 20 foot

And the rest!

There's a display case on the wall to the left of the huge moutain scene picture stretching most of the length of the room wall (3min35sec). A HO carriage will be roughly 1ft long which makes that display case roughly 1 meter wide. 6 meters = 20 feet. I reckon i could fit a few more than 6 of those cases along that wall. The scenic area of Warren Lane is 18ft, and that's a lot smaller than that layout appears.

Width is anyones guess really, but judging by the radius of the curves + scenic areas it's a lot more than 6 wide.

You'll have to bow to the older guys experience above with judging sizes on this one i think. Fantastic find though, that's a lovely layout. The Mt Titlis revolving cable cars take me back to where i learned to ski when i was young. They weren't revolving way back then but i did have a summer trip on them when they were still new and it's a weird feeling spinning around as you go along. No trains running under the real thing sadly :(

Archived