Bachmann Collectors Club Limited Editions Summer '13

Matabiau

Bachmann's August Trainmail for its collectors club members has arrived in my inbox with the tempting proposition of two new limited edition models to be announced in the next magazine.

"Your next magazine will carry full details of not just one, but two new exclusive Collectors Club models, both of which will be available for immediate delivery."

They will be available to purchase from the collectors club members' day at the Bluebell Railway on 31st August.

No clues this time!

Possibly one of the new 4Fs in a unique livery? I've noticed that delivery of special editions tends to coincide with delivery of similar standard catalogue releases, probably because the mouldings are all done in one huge batch to help keep costs down. I correctly predicted the arrival of Frizinghall's camping coach in this way, which was delivered at the same time as the departmental ex-LMS coach, which is the same basic model. 

Possibly one of the new 4Fs in a unique livery? I've noticed that delivery of special editions tends to coincide with delivery of similar standard catalogue releases, probably because the mouldings are all done in one huge batch to help keep costs down. I correctly predicted the arrival of Frizinghall's camping coach in this way, which was delivered at the same time as the departmental ex-LMS coach, which is the same basic model. 

I've not been paying much attention to model railway matters in recent months, but IIRC Bachmann's 4F is the Midland RHD & Johnson tender version, so possibly suitable for a release in S&DJR colours. As I recall they've already done Somerset & Dorset-liveried versions of the 2-8-0 and Jinty?

• RMweb Premium

My money would be on any two of the following:

Class 66 66739 Bluebell Railway

L & Y 2-4-2T in Wirral Railway livery - it was bought from the L & Y in 1921 but stayed in its previous owner's livery, which is being planned for release, but the Wirral numbered it as 6 which was carried on brass plates on its side tanks.

9F 92240 as preserved on the Bluebell with BR 1C tender - not the same version that was offered in weathered condition with BR 1G tender some years ago as a limited edition by Modelzone

Assuming Bachmann are not about to pull something completely new out of the hat...

Looking at it logically, one would expect special edition of versions otherwise recently released.

I'd say a LU150 Class 20 is a distinct possibility.

I also note that a new batch of 2-EPBs has arrived (in BR Blue) so could be a version of this?

Another thought is a 'Queen of Scots' Mk1 Sleeper, as used on the Bluebell for volunteer accommodation, and in need of a spruce up. The only problem is it would be a odd-ball and not really 'match' anything.

There has been a batch of 9Fs not too long ago, but more likely to be 92212 as its in service atm.

There's also been a batch of 4mts, so technically we could have a Bluebell 4mt (and if its '64 I'd have to join the club!)

I like the idea of the Bluebell 66, but again the next 66's are due end of the year, with the previous batch (Colas) arriving before the GBRF 66 was named.

I thought I read somewhere Bachmann were announcing a new model at the event. Hoping for an AC electric but whatever it is I doubt it will form part of the collectors club announcements.

Mark

Bachmann actually said that they would be making a "significant announcement" which may or may not be a new model. It may of course be a significant new model. This begs the question "Which of Bachmann's previous models have been more significant than others and which ones less so?". We will find out, for future reference, the significance of Bachmann's use of the word significant.

Sadly, at the time I received my invite to the Bluebell I had chosen the attend the Neaseden open day which was scheduled for the same date. As this has now been posponed I might slope down to the Bluebell anyway and try to find out what's going on when the Special Train gets back.

RP

• RMweb Premium

So they're releasing the Fell finally!

Not the Fell - it's the Leader ;)

Southern connection, built (I use the term loosely so far as most were concerned) nearby and very "Southern".  

Archived