B554/B553 14Ton Met Ballast Brake Van

OliverSR

Following on from my Met BTH loco I am now working on a next 3D printing project.
On the suggestion of Phil Radley I have been working on my next model of a Met 14Ton Ballast Brake.
I am working from the drawing and photo which is of B553 in the "Metropolitan Railway Rolling stock" book by James R Snowdon. Unlike my previous model these vans had a much longer lifespan so lasted well into London Transport and received that livery too.
I have learnt from my experience with the BTH loco and been able to scan the drawing and put it into the computer for me to trace and work from to a greater level of accuracy. I have also figured out how to do added detail such as gaps between planks and rivets. There wasn't a suitable chassis around RTR so I thought I would try to design one omitting the axleboxes and springs which I will buy molded parts for like with buffers.
This is how it is currently going, I have more or less finished the body but am debating whether to add molded on handrails and the chassis is currently drawn on and will need depth added.
Image1_zpse7260f7a.jpg
Link to model on shapeways
Hopefully this will progress in the coming weeks as I work on it.

OliverSR

• 1 month later...

Progress time

The model has had more work done with correcting errors in the file and adding molded on handrails to save the hassle of fitting handrails also you could always cut them off if you wanted to add your own. A pre made chassis as been sourced which will be suitably modified to incorporate nem couplings and bearings. Here is a photo showing current model and is view able revolving on shapeways. https://www.shapeways.com/model/1332299/met-14ton-ballast-brake-handrail.html?li=my-models&materialId=6

674x501_1332299_1405572_1380893764.jpg

OliverSR

• 3 months later...

Having spent some time away from this project I have now returned to it as I hope to have something produced by the acton depot show later this year. I have almost finished work on the van body but require some help. The diagram shows me the locations of roof vents only not what type they are and I can't tell from the photos either. If anyone knows what they are and where I can get castings of them as I will probably just make holes on the roof and add parts after it has been printed, like I did with the BTH loco's buffers.

OliverSR

• 3 years later...

After a extremely long absence from this project at last notable progress.

Here are some photos of the finished prototype in cruel enlarged scale. I think the model looks good and I am happy with what I have been able to achieve.

post-18845-0-42741000-1509986096_thumb.jpeg

post-18845-0-65073600-1509986111_thumb.jpeg

post-18845-0-01269400-1509986122_thumb.jpeg

post-18845-0-00964000-1509986135_thumb.jpeg

Next this will get sent off to Phil Radley in order for castings to be made and hopefully available as a kit from him in the future.

OliverSR

• Like 5

• 7 months later...