Class 20 "chopper" new and old photos...

• RMweb Premium

4 of the DRS 20's being used on track renewal work between Sheffield and Barnsley. There's only 5 of them in action tonight, for the last 2 nights there's been 6!! :locomotive:

Cheers,

Phil.

post-4971-0-61176300-1390433332_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

A couple of mine from the mid-80-s:

Last-built 20 227

20227a.jpg

And ex-ScR 20034. Aside from the cabside plating rotting away, showing where the tablet catcher recess was, there's something else that makes '034 unique (as far as I am aware) for the era...

20034TO1987.jpg

I do have plenty more (Choppers being my favourite class!)... I'll get scanning when I find some free time.

• Like 5

A couple of mine from the mid-80-s:

Last-built 20 227

20227a.jpg

And ex-ScR 20034. Aside from the cabside plating rotting away, showing where the tablet catcher recess was, there's something else that makes '034 unique (as far as I am aware) for the era...

20034TO1987.jpg

I do have plenty more (Choppers being my favourite class!)... I'll get scanning when I find some free time.

Four sandboxes on each bogie on 20034, think youre right, I don't recall seeing any other 20 like this during this period.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Four sandboxes on each bogie on 20034, think youre right, I don't recall seeing any other 20 like this during this period.

Yup!  I didn't actually notice at the time (and '034 was a Skeggy regular for me, paired with '042 in the summers of the late-80s).

It was only a few years ago, when I was sorting through my phots, did I do the proverbial double-take!

Every other 20 I've got pics of post 1972 show the inner sandboxes removed (all the disc 20s were delivered new with 8 sandboxes, the box headcode ones only had the outer ones)

Even more interestingly, 20034 only had the outer sandboxes during the early-80s, but by 1987 at least it had aquired the inner sandboxes.

Was it simply a random set of spare bogies swapped in at overhaul? Was it an experiment?

This is not my photo, the copyright holder seems to be one Paul Miller, but it is one of the very rare pictures showing two 20s actually working cab to cab. The text says they were returning light from Kings Lynn, but I have not found a record of their loaded working. 

post-4474-0-94948900-1391176919.jpg

EDIT: Ooops, forgot to add the numbers: they are 20177 and 20163

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...