Light Switches? ... Turning the Tables...

jcredfer

Yes, I think you are right there  .......

Ahhhh! But the paint does good things later on, like protecting timber from moisture etc. Well worth the self-flagellation at this stage believe me!

Nearly finished now anyway, after a blast this afternoon  .....  I just have to wait for the under-side to dry on the last 1 1/2 Boards, so I can turn them and Prime and Undercoat their top-sides.  ...    :sungum:

I think I shall keep the underside white to make it easier to see where wires and Servos will go.  The sides will match a green Feature wall in the Lounge and some form of soil colour on the top.

• Like 2

Seeing how close it is getting to having a place for some track, I had another look at a couple of plans   .......    a bit more sensible than watching the paint dry  .....    :jester:

Both are very similar but with one main difference, in the platform at the top of the plan  

The first has an additional line to run a train into, leaving the 2 x Loops free   .........   although it means less room on the other side of the board for the other main Stn  ...    :scratchhead:

16513302596_cc3d61f49a_b.jpg
Double track OO with sidings 6'2 x 4' Feb 15 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

The second is very similar but without the additional line  ....    the platform at the top could easily be shuffled to the left to where the Engine Shed is to make it a bit longer too   .....

15919117553_dff465e278_b.jpg
Double track OO with sidings 6'2 x 4' no Nine Feb 15 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

I suppose it swings around a questions of [slightly] easier access to scenery, maybe trying to cram too much track anyway and flexibility of operation play .....

• Like 3

Thanks RaR,   Your comment is appreciated.

That was much the thinking, although MD messing with the Potting Shed might also be fun  ...  ....  .....  :locomotive:  ..............................    anyway, I haven't chipped the Spam Can yet  .....

{Sick-note  .....  I did measure 2 x Hogwarts coaches with the Hogwart's Castle at one end and Clun Castle or Gadwell at the other end, for the return journey back from Hogwarts/Platform 9 3/4  .....  end Sick-note]

I sometimes see comments about trying to cram too many rails onto Boards - but I guess 6' 2" x 4' probably makes that somewhat less than relevant  .....   :jester:

The Sun was out this morning  .........    all the better to   ..........

16372283747_1104b5148f_c.jpgSun on completed underside by JulianR 2013,

Make sure yesterday's top-coat on the Frames is well dried  ...

They were a bit fiddly to do with all those bracing pieces, but the white will make it easier to see Wiring, Servos and other bits when they go in there.  Fingers on the paintbrush hand were protesting by the afternoon.

[NB. - Had some "Proper painters" in yesterday putting a coat of paint on MDs room.  They had a look and were saying they always said their days were fully booked when asked to quote for horrible fiddly jobs like that.]

16557098122_8d683739de_c.jpgcompleted underside by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Glad they are done now. Next a less stark colour on the sides and some muddy mess for the top  ..... :senile:

• Like 4

Not only a sunny day for the Baseboards but time to show Sir Frederick Pile, who returned home last week, after having some expert surgery.......

Retracing a step  ....  I took him to Salisbury Model Centre for the owner, Declan, to look at matching some paint for the interior of the cockpit, where a repair had been done to the right-hand, rear window frame  .....

...........................    and dropped it from the counter onto the floor    .....................     :O  :O

closer examination, revealed more than the original damage  .....   and some previously un-noticed damage from when it had previously been dropped.

Declan volunteered to try to fix the problems [very bravely given the extent of the matters needing repair/replacement] and I chased off to find some replacement parts.

Here, looking very much smarter than when last here   ..................

15937851444_48dede398b_c.jpg
Sir Frederick returns by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Jobs at the front, included 

Repairing the Starboard Buffer, which had been knocked off;

Repairing a hole at the top of the Smoke box;

Replacement of the Smoke Box door, which was completely the wrong size;

Removal of a Smoke Deflector which had been replaced with globules of glue visible and re-glueing;

All the Black re-spraying; repainting the lights;

The Cab Repair needed straightening and the interior repainting;

a crack was discovered on the Port side above the window and was repaired and repainted;

A window glass fell out on the Starboard side and was re-glued;

16372756438_208ab2396e_c.jpg
Right side windowframe repair by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

The Tender long ladders needed completely replacing with new and painting;

15937851574_81b9ef8b0e_c.jpg
Tender Ladders by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

There are still a couple of thing which need tidying and we made a decision to fit the additional Smoke Box Hand-rail, so the Wg Co could steady himself at the dizzy heights up there.

I am so very impressed with how Declan has done all the work and very grateful too, as can be imagined  ..............   once again "Eat your hearts out, Box-shifters."

• Like 1

Glad to see Sir Frederick back all in one pil...  piece.

Akcherly, yer pink baseboards the wrong way up would be the basis for quite a fun tube railway - somewhere like Euston or Westminster with all sorts of things happening at different levels...

dh

PS

and I nearly forgot - Crossrail of course.

Aahh, how light can create it's own life   ......

Glad to see Sir Frederick back all in one pil...  piece.

Akcherly, yer pink baseboards the wrong way up would be the basis for quite a fun tube railway - somewhere like Euston or Westminster with all sorts of things happening at different levels...

dh

PS

and I nearly forgot - Crossrail of course.

.   The pink is a reflection off the plastic cover for the chair, which I stole borrowed from MD along with the Balloon one on the floor....    

....   actually I quite like the idea of the Underground railway through those lightening holes    ....................    .......................     :sungum:    ................................

OOh, Eer  ............................    must stop thinking like a Jaz   ....................      :jester:  :jester:

Edit = spelling

Edited by jcredfer

Actually, I had to take MD to a birthday party   ...................  [would you believe - a PHOTOSHOOT Party   ................     :O  :O  ........    oh yes - that bad   ...   6 girls, lots of their favourite dressing up clothes  .....   and a professional photographer, complete with Studio  !!!!!   ..........    I was away from there so fast - muttering about needing to get some sticks from the Garden Centre for some Raspberry Canes   .....    WOOSH  ......    :superman:   ]

Not only a sunny day for the Baseboards but time to show Sir Frederick Pile, who returned home last week, after having some expert surgery.......

Retracing a step  ....  I took him to Salisbury Model Centre for the owner, Declan, to look at matching some paint for the interior of the cockpit, where a repair had been done to the right-hand, rear window frame  .....

...........................    and dropped it from the counter onto the floor    .....................     :O  :O

closer examination, revealed more than the original damage  .....   and some previously un-noticed damage from when it had previously been dropped.

Declan volunteered to try to fix the problems [very bravely given the extent of the matters needing repair/replacement] and I chased off to find some replacement parts.

Here, looking very much smarter than when last here   ..................

15937851444_48dede398b_c.jpg
Sir Frederick returns by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Jobs at the front, included 

Repairing the Starboard Buffer, which had been knocked off;

Repairing a hole at the top of the Smoke box;

Replacement of the Smoke Box door, which was completely the wrong size;

Removal of a Smoke Deflector which had been replaced with globules of glue visible and re-glueing;

All the Black re-spraying; repainting the lights;

The Cab Repair needed straightening and the interior repainting;

a crack was discovered on the Port side above the window and was repaired and repainted;

A window glass fell out on the Starboard side and was re-glued;

16372756438_208ab2396e_c.jpg
Right side windowframe repair by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

The Tender long ladders needed completely replacing with new and painting;

15937851574_81b9ef8b0e_c.jpg
Tender Ladders by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

There are still a couple of thing which need tidying and we made a decision to fit the additional Smoke Box Hand-rail, so the Wg Co could steady himself at the dizzy heights up there.

I am so very impressed with how Declan has done all the work and very grateful too, as can be imagined  ..............   once again "Eat your hearts out, Box-shifters."

what I didn't have time to show before the break   ........................     just how good were Declan's skills    ....................

close up shots can be really cruel  ......    but this is ...  well   ..........   just see for yourselves   ...

16534402326_4a709de645_c.jpg
Smokebox close respray by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

......   and that in the full glare of daylight by the windows   .........  brilliant - I can't find the proper words to say how thankful I am for such a lovely restoration

There are a few more items to be applied and I show some of them below  ....   before I get to mangle them   .....

16376694749_bfaf25076c_c.jpg
add-on bits by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

NB. Usual disclaimer Not related, involved in Declan's Shop in any way  ...   just very impressed and thankful he is there

• Like 2

I had a look at this one again in the light of your "facing point" observation - made elsewhere  ...

I'd go for the top one. I do like a long terminal platform to perform an engine change/reversal on from/to engine shed - sort of Bath Green Park exchange between dirty Jubilee and poofy southern Spam Can.

:senile:

dh

I have been out all day [half - term strikes again] but shoved the Goods yard to the other end and used single points rather than the cross-over variety

It came out like this  ...

16571236092_51211c83fd_c.jpg
Double track OO with sidings 6'2 x 4' new Goods by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

It seems to make more sense with the scenery too, so it would look like benefits all round ...   and thanks for your observations    ..............................    unless I missed something   ....     :scratchhead:

• Like 2

Ssshhhh   ...............

Track laying tomorrow then? ;)

............    Camouflage first   .................    :angel:     ...........     Ssshhh

................................................................                        ..........................................      then that thorny matter of droppers  .................    :scared:

PS - not yet had track plan approval from the Northern, Arkitekt Department  ...........    :nono:

Edited by jcredfer
  • Like 1

PS - not yet had track plan approval from the Northern, Arkitekt Department  ...........    :nono:

Now who might that be?

Please Sir I was absent because I've just been to Horspittel, Sir.

On my annual trip to sweetalk my friend the cardiologist; his opening gambit was  "Ha! You still around? So I must be doing something right."

I wish I'd enough dosh to go private....a rude buztard like that would be trying a bit harder to keep the fees rolling in. :scare:

Anyway, yes "like" the revised plan :yes:

dh

Excuse note accepted    ..........     but try to be more sensible to stand in the more normal place at the side of the horse   .....   it's drier too  ........    :sungum:

Now who might that be?

Please Sir I was absent because I've just been to Horspittel, Sir.

On my annual trip to sweetalk my friend the cardiologist; his opening gambit was  "Ha! You still around? So I must be doing something right."

I wish I'd enough dosh to go private....a rude buztard like that would be trying a bit harder to keep the fees rolling in. :scare:

Anyway, yes "like" the revised plan :yes:

dh

Thank you for the documented approval, had it not been for your timely intervention, I would have been trying to solder droppers onto a 2 way set of points  ........     :nono:

All I have to do now is move the Moldmaker's Dowels from one end of the central Base-board hole, to locate that short board at the other end  ..........      :jester:  :jester:

Re: Your sick-note,

To be fair your Sawbones probably thought he was being "Light-hearted  .....   "

I admire the work done to restore Sir Frederick to his former glory ,but ....(there is always a but) but the smoke box door is wrong.

It is round when it should more of an oval shape ! The Bulleid pacifics had a unique shape of door which was flattened at the top and bottom .i hesitate to criticise good work so I hope you will take this in the spirit in which it is meant .

The Sun was out this morning  .........    all the better to   ..........

16372283747_1104b5148f_c.jpgSun on completed underside by JulianR 2013,

Make sure yesterday's top-coat on the Frames is well dried  ...

They were a bit fiddly to do with all those bracing pieces, but the white will make it easier to see Wiring, Servos and other bits when they go in there.  Fingers on the paintbrush hand were protesting by the afternoon.

[NB. - Had some "Proper painters" in yesterday putting a coat of paint on MDs room.  They had a look and were saying they always said their days were fully booked when asked to quote for horrible fiddly jobs like that.]

16557098122_8d683739de_c.jpgcompleted underside by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Glad they are done now. Next a less stark colour on the sides and some muddy mess for the top  ..... :senile:

Morn, J.

After all this work,on the base board's,   am presuming, your are to become a local, exhibitionist ?

Thanks David, your information is appreciated.

It is simply a practical matter, in that the moulding for the front is separate from the Smoke Box itself and the door and frame were a single moulding.  I couldn't source a replacement, even though there were many other types available, so expediency seemed to be inevitable.  I have yet to glue the Number and Name Plates in place, having managed to find some nice etched ones.

I admire the work done to restore Sir Frederick to his former glory ,but ....(there is always a but) but the smoke box door is wrong.
It is round when it should more of an oval shape ! The Bulleid pacifics had a unique shape of door which was flattened at the top and bottom .i hesitate to criticise good work so I hope you will take this in the spirit in which it is meant .

With any luck, I might get some track laid and some plastic vegetation laid down.  Maybe a few End to End wire track connections, in place of through the Baseboard Droppers - like outside versions of the 1:1scale ones you photographed the other day.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/75589-1-dover-priory-kent/?p=1790115

Then definitely up for some Exhibition work  .............    :locomotive:  :locomotive:

Morn, J.

After all this work,on the base board's,   am presuming, your are to become a local, exhibitionist ?

With my lack of abilities  ..................

..............    strictly at home, with only the family authorised to view   ........   :nono:  ........   otherwise firmly in place behind closed shower room doors  .......    :jester:

Edit - Get link to work.

Edited by jcredfer

I admire the work done to restore Sir Frederick to his former glory ,but ....(there is always a but) but the smoke box door is wrong. The Bulleid pacifics had a unique shape of door which was flattened at the top and bottom ...

Don't forget Riddles (like Coachman here on RMweb) absolutely loathed Bulleid. So the rebuilt 21Cs' smokebox door always irked :fool:  forever reminding him how  Bulleid's (via Doncaster) boilers were intrinsically better steam raisers than his LM/GWR derived jobbies. 

You could argue that the smokebox door got replaced after minor front-end accident damage (maybe poked in the eye with a lance while jousting with an N15).

:bye:

dh

[edit - sp]

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 1

Camouflage fitted at last  .....   paint really does take ages to dry  .....

..................   OK   .........   Now you see them  ......     :declare:

15982859513_9b8d0a4ef6_c.jpg
Now you see them by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

now then   .........  how did it go   ............  Ahh yes  ....    Shape, shine, shadow, silhouette, movement  ...........   Uummm  ..........     :scratchhead:

Shape seems ok  ...  but that is far nearer the light from the window  ....   too much shine  ..

16602628775_acbc84d3ff_c.jpg
Too far towards the light by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

..   further back solves the shine   ...  but total silhouette against those doors   .....

16601460271_5e48d07684_c.jpg
DSC00500 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Now that's a bit better   .............   shame about the telly   .......    

15982856733_8654989300_c.jpg
Good but pity about the TV by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

.............   Oh well, at least they haven't moved - Yet  .....   

• Like 5

Camouflage fitted at last  .....   paint really does take ages to dry  .....

..................   OK   .........   Now you see them  ......     :declare:

now then   .........  how did it go   ............  Ahh yes  ....    Shape, shine, shadow, silhouette, movement  ...........   Uummm  ..........     :scratchhead:

.............   Oh well, at least they haven't moved - Yet  .....   

That takes me back a few years. Nicely done

• Like 2

Thank you kind Sir.  .........................    Just a few years  ........

That takes me back a few years. Nicely done

some things, like the Service Number, camouflage, breathing properly when shooting, "SIR!" when your surname gets shouted, how to polish brass and Bull boots  ....  

never forgotten   .....    :sungum:  :sungum:   ..........   Oh  .....  and how the Beret and SD hat curl down at the sides perfectly naturally, if simply left alone  .............       .....................

....................       ................................                      when wrapped in a damp towel and left overnight in the Airing Cupboard    .....     :jester:  :jester: