Light Switches? ... Turning the Tables...

jcredfer

Unfortunately not, I suspect someone rattled the box and though "jewelry"   ........    Grrrrr!!

when you said ....Harvey turned up......I thought for a moment that the model one had appeared.......

....mums the word.....mouth zipped........will be very careful if I should see the Wg Co......... :angel:

Aaghh! - Where  .......   :O   .....................    ......................    Eeerrr - Oh, yes  ....   I see  ......   Phew  .....     :jester:

Time to see how this lot fits together    .............    Shopping time too   .........     :whistle:

.........  Sshhh!!  ........   she's out again   .........     :secret:   ..............    this way, quick  .....

................     the reason behind the odd sizes, for the Boards    ....................   and the hole in the middle  .....     Now you see them   ....

DSC00316 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Now you don't   ................     ;)   ...

DSC00315 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Hence the 350mm [14"] width to the Boards   ..................   and the position of the Mould-Maker's Dowel Pins for alignment, being on the sides of the boards   .....    that way the Boards can stand on the flat ends    .....

Quick, put the Door back   ......   I think she is coming back   ........... :whistle:

.............    Off with the Dressing Gown   ...........  and downstairs to see what is in the packages   ......

This is what Tim provided for fixing the boards together    .........

16224204610_b6c4e50b8c_c.jpg
What is in the Pack by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

There are 2 kinds of Dowel on in the pack  ....   and they would go in like this ......

16225679397_dc2bc74b29_c.jpg
Intended fitting by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

The pre-cut holes for the Dowels are 6mm deep so there are also 25mm diameter Shims to go behind the Dowels  ....  as you can see they are slightly less thick than the dowel bases, so the Dowels will have their fixing base-plates slightly recessed, to avoid clashing  ........

16411619815_5f92562191_c.jpg
Shims by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

The Laser cutting is so accurate that the Metal Dowel bases are an extremely tight fit, so I did a tiny bit of filing on each hole, so they went in snugly, rather than with a hammer  ....

16385624206_ebecc7a7af_c.jpg
How accurate the Laser cut is by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

After a couple of hours, fitting and matching each joint, it was time to test the results to see if the boards fitted as intended  ........    

15791738383_4d04a846d4_c.jpg
Dowels and Bolts Fitted by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

.....................     :sungum:  :sungum:

• Like 5

Once it was screwed together in was given a full inspection by Mr Harvey Chein    ............   it passed but only after a rather "Sniffy" hesitation  .......  at least he didn't bring that Pipe indoors   .....    :nono:

16224955170_8e7b9c73d1_c.jpg
Inspection time by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

It went together very well, including the Infill bit, which Tim had said was probably too wide, by 4/5mm. He offered to make a new one, but it seemed to me that a bit of fettling would probably see it fit ok.  In the event it wasn't too far out and would actually fit - but with rather more tension than I thought reasonable.  15 minutes with the Tungsten Sanding block and back and forth checking progress, saw a snug fit.  It was easy to check, as the dowels on the end cross-piece, slid in neatly when it was sufficiently rubbed down.

16226455977_556b99df47_c.jpg
Infill Width check by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Up on it's legs and it seemed very firm [despite one trestle being still in the shed  ..  ]

16226488387_dfb64fa5a6_c.jpg
Takes a bit of room by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

It seems to take up a bit of space, so I guess it may get used more in the Conservatory, than here  ....

16411451872_5ab8168102_c.jpg
Dog Tired by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Apparently there is enough space underneath for MD and the first piece of scenery seems to have arrived   .......    :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:

• Like 7

There is one minor snag   .......    so far it has been put together inverted on the floor      ............          that isn't going to work if it ever ....  eerr .. when it gets track stuck on it  ...   :no:

It can't be put together the right way up on the floor, as the bolts can't be reached, so this is something which needs to be sorted   ......     :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:

It might  be possible to do it on one side [ATASTTB]   ....   so let's have a go   ..............

First one side laid on the floor and the End Board at the opposite end from the Infill Board connected and bolted tight  .......   second, the Infill Board on top of the Side and bolted tight   ...........      

16411419582_4e503f36a1_c.jpg
Bottom, side and infill by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Now the second side can be rested onto the Infill Board while it is joined to the End Board     ....   once tight, that second side can be bolted to the Infill Board  ...

16224940040_b238c6b233_c.jpg
Nearly there by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Once those are all tight, the other End Board can be put up against the Sides and Infill Board  ..........    the structure is light, even when put together it is easy to lay it flat and hoist one end at  a time up onto the Trestles   ........    Ummm  ....   :scratchhead:   still a bit "Clunky"            .....................              I will have a try at Trestle juggling today, I have had a "Baldrick Moment"  ...   could be fun trying to keep the boards up whilst joining them    ...............    Hummm          ......    now then, they might only weigh 4 Kg each, but Laser cutting does leave exceedingly fine sharp edges, so where are those steel toe-cap boots and cricket pads  .....    :jester:

• Like 2

On your Mark   ...................................     Set    .........................

16392987016_a1e46a5138_c.jpg
Ready - go by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

..   GO!  ....................

Tic - Toc  ....   Tic - Toc  ....  Tic - Toc  ....   [i think the Navy must be marching nearby  ...   :jester:  ]         ..........................  

...........  taking it easy, as it is first time and there is Trestle Juggling to be thought out     ..................       really don't want to end up throwing it part assembled onto the floor   .......    :nono:

Done  .....................   including trying the Infill Board the other way round to give access to some 25mm holes - didn't work so put it back the original way   ......    only used 3 Trestles too and 4 may be a bit easier.

[Just too lazy to go out in the cold to get the 4th Trestle ]

15798927863_981529a030_c.jpg
Done by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

And the time  ...................     not quite as bad as I thought   ..............  17 min 20 sec  .........    :sungum:

[Just had a thought  .................    since it seems so important for the Euro-lush lot to make everyone limited to decimal working  .............        ........    how come they missed out Clocks? .........    ]

16418948805_563dc6f6cf_c.jpg
17min 20sec by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

It seems likely that around 15 mins should be a fairly stress free time, so, all considered not bad   .........   

Oh - is that the sound of a car returning from shopping    ..........................    I wonder if I can get it back in 15 min seconds  ......   :O

Phew ..

16231557100_2a5996c4a5_c.jpg
Dressing gown wardrobe by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

My [?] Icon has gone Walkabout   .............    anyone else missing their's   ..........   leaving us feeling less "Iconic" than before .......    :scratchhead:

Not just that but the "mi no comprendo" button's gorn too.

There's that nice Flying Officer Kite down Salisbury way who used to like sandwiches trying to assemble a WWII Halifax behind his bathroom door. Poor Quoi?

Its like being on the French exchange on RMweb these days - no idea at all whats going on around me now. "Non ferstehen mate!"

I said "NON FERST.....  Me ? SHOUting?  Mi dispiace... where's the &%$£ing Broon?

:senile:

dh

Well alright then   ......    15 seconds was a bit on the tight side   ....................

On your Mark   ...................................     Set    .........................

Tic - Toc  ....   Tic - Toc  ....  Tic - Toc  ....   [i think the Navy must be marching nearby  ...   :jester:  ]         ..........................  

...........  taking it easy, as it is first time and there is Trestle Juggling to be thought out     ..................       really don't want to end up throwing it part assembled onto the floor   .......    :nono:

Done  .....................   including trying the Infill Board the other way round to give access to some 25mm holes - didn't work so put it back the original way   ......    only used 3 Trestles too and 4 may be a bit easier.

And the time  ...................     not quite as bad as I thought   ..............  17 min 20 sec  .........    :sungum:

[Just had a thought  .................    since it seems so important for the Euro-lush lot to make everyone limited to decimal working  .............        ........    how come they missed out Clocks? .........    ]

It seems likely that around 15 mins should be a fairly stress free time, so, all considered not bad   .........   

Oh - is that the sound of a car returning from shopping    ..........................    I wonder if I can get it back in 15 min seconds  ......   :O

Phew ..

How about 15 mins  .............................................................  or even    ...........

16420274372_574ddc4ccd_c.jpg
Down time by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Down time    ...............

16395249306_4473215197_c.jpg
under 10 mins by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

under 10 minutes     ............     joking aside - that seems to be quite reasonable and doesn't look like it would become irksome, particularly in Summer when it could be left up for longer in the Conservatory.

Also    .......................    I couldn't resist seeing if track might fit on the top    .....................     well just to see, you understand    ..........     :angel:

Then I thought it might be as well to see if the track had got woodworm or something similar    ..............     honest - just scientific of course   ...........

Then - what do you think came round Spectacle Corner    ............................

15800937773_03952b2573_c.jpg
Spectacle Corner by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

I thought it was really nice of the Great Snipe to pay a visit to test the track and managed to get another couple of shots as it strode off into the distance well round the oval  ......

16420081552_c020d70237_c.jpg
Great Snipe 3 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

and turned away

16395036796_f6d48ef8c7_c.jpg
Great Snipe 2 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Then the Yanks rattled up with one of theirs, in the interests of exploration, naturally    .....................

16233627320_1249384df9_c.jpg
4-4-0 USA by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

• Like 6

Your hen packed.......and if she ever reads this thread......your 'goose' will be well and truly cooked........LOL.........

:O   Yes Dear !!

Phew ..

Wrong Department Matey ,                    want the Tic Tocman, try, Bomb Disposal.......

Edited by David Todd

My [?] Icon has gone Walkabout   .............    anyone else missing their's   ..........   leaving us feeling less "Iconic" than before .......    :scratchhead:

No...but the emoticons are less in number....they got rid of the pesky indecipherable........oooh that is going to scotch someone LOL......

• RMweb Gold

Hi Julian, it's all starting to come together now, the baseboards look a really good piece of kit. I like spectacle corner, is that a lenz controller :jester: Just hope you can get it all hidden away behind the door in time. your time starts NOW.  All the best Adrian 10 9 8 7 6 5 ....

• Like 1

Hi Jaz,

This is for the OO, but you are right, I'm not sure I mentioned it   .......    I have to see if I can squeeze the plan at the previous page top in and have a platform long enough for the Potting Shed Choo-choo and coaches.

Oh quick question, or did I miss you say, is this for the 00 or the N?

..........    The N gauge board is constructed and is currently waiting in the wings resting in the Conservatory  ............   I do have a sort of plan for it but not sure if it is appropriate  .....  

I only have 2 Locos for that with a few wagons and a lone coach, although I do have the track   .....   there is a moderate sticking point over soldering droppers onto tiny rails like that too, but I suspect I might have a Baldrick for that  ....      :scratchhead:

• Like 2

I wuz jus' drivin' araan the new tressle estate  .........................   an it jus' fell orf, 'ones' guv  ......

Hi Jaz,

This is for the OO, but you are right, I'm not sure I mentioned it   .......    I have to see if I can squeeze the plan at the previous page top in and have a platform long enough for the Potting Shed Choo-choo and coaches.

..........    The N gauge board is constructed and is currently waiting in the wings resting in the Conservatory  ............   I do have a sort of plan for it but not sure if it is appropriate  .....  

I only have 2 Locos for that with a few wagons and a lone coach, although I do have the track   .....   there is a moderate sticking point over soldering droppers onto tiny rails like that too, but I suspect I might have a Baldrick for that  ....      :scratchhead:

16293385960_93e2d22cde_c.jpg
It jus' fell orf guv by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Ummm  ......   wot naah?

Edit = Hapo-stroph apostle apostripe upper level comma

Edited by jcredfer