Light Switches? ... Turning the Tables...

jcredfer

Thank you kind Sir.  .........................    Just a few years  ........

some things, like the Service Number, camouflage, breathing properly when shooting, "SIR!" when your surname gets shouted, how to polish brass and Bull boots  ....  

never forgotten   .....    :sungum:  :sungum:   ..........   Oh  .....  and how the Beret and SD hat curl down at the sides perfectly naturally, if simply left alone  .............       .....................

....................       ................................                      when wrapped in a damp towel and left overnight in the Airing Cupboard    .....     :jester:  :jester:

Along with many other nuggets of retained information that would baffle the living snot out of any civi :jester:

• 2 weeks later...

Camouflage fitted at last  .....   paint really does take ages to dry  .....

..................   OK   .........   Now you see them  ......     :declare:

15982859513_9b8d0a4ef6_c.jpg

Now you see them by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

now then   .........  how did it go   ............  Ahh yes  ....    Shape, shine, shadow, silhouette, movement  ...........   Uummm  ..........     :scratchhead:

Shape seems ok  ...  but that is far nearer the light from the window  ....   too much shine  ..

Too far towards the light by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

..   further back solves the shine   ...  but total silhouette against those doors   .....

DSC00500 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Now that's a bit better   .............   shame about the telly   .......    

Good but pity about the TV by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

.............   Oh well, at least they haven't moved - Yet  .....   

There has been some progress since these, although it is much to do with paint on boxes and Scenic / Train Aerobatic-Prevention Boards at the moment.  I have done all the boxes and all but one Scenic "Restraint".  I have managed to put a coat of base "Earth" colour on 2 x large base-boards and the small one too.  Ran out of paint and B&Q don't have the Raw Umber [or similar] in stock.

I was due to go and order track today, which would have been nice.  It has to do with my PC getting well again, as it needs another visit to the ElectroDoc, having only returned from there, with a new Hard Drive last week.  I managed some refinements [?] to the track plan last night and listed the track parts in Excel to print off for the shop to order the bits I haven't got - [lots of]. 

This morning the Computer switch won't latch "On", so needs a new switch - Monday at the earliest, I guess.

Patience is a virtue - so they say   ...........       [what with having to watch paint dry, too.]        ..........   doesn't make it any less boring  .....     :no:  :no:  :no:

Have fun all   .....     :sungum:

Love the term "stealth baseboards" Marcus  ......  I may just have to nick borrow that from time to time  .......     :sungum:

Nice Job on the stealth baseboards JC. Completely undetectable by SWMBO. will look forward to seeing the track appear.

Cheers

Marcus

Actively searching the Interweb for exArmy, War surplus FIBUA camouflaged Track  .......     :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:

PS.  In truth I have to wait for the ElectroDoc to replace the On/Off switch on the PC, as the Track-plan and Track List are both concealed within   ......    :O

I'm not sure he will have that item in stock, but will get some sort of timescale on Monday, when I take the PC in.

PPS.  FIBUA = Fighting in Built Up Area.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone remember this - I thought not   .......  the arrival by the Knight Bus of those minutely modelled Harvey and MD   .......

however, it is easy too see why a second hand Potting Shed transportation vehicle is missing something  ...   yep, it has no Destination Boards ..  :O

15469224332_f789130501_c.jpgDSC_1091 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Help was eventually at hand   .....   the Salisbury Print house [just across the desk from me as I sit here typing]   .....  came up with the correct wording from considerable research   ...

16947075251_309911e2e0_c.jpgDSC00512 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Photo paper had been used, bt there is a slight problem with normal printer ink  ....   it just isn't waterproof    ....   

I thought this might solve 2 x problems  .....  not waterproof and glazing for the Signs.

Perhaps a little clearer now  ........

16761820219_d06525df42_c.jpgDSC00514 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Sellotape Clear, which has a quality which is important  ...   unlike other Sellotapes, this is UV resistant and also sticks like a baby Monkey to it's Mum, added to which it is absolutely clear, just like it says  ...   :sungum:

A couple of passes with a sharp scalpel - smear of Rocket Card glue and  ...

16947074381_df44717e4f_c.jpgDSC00518 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

At the rear of the Knight Bus can be seen the original Text Boxes with the right text for the Destination Boards  ..  Saved as a Picture, these can be resized to fit the aperture  ....   :sungum:

• Like 3

A few days later I had a touch of cramp   ............    it's old age and general deterioration I guess   ............  

16922080846_232d072401_c.jpgDSC00525 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

I was getting a bit agitated edgy by now, as you can see   ...   it is a bit clearer here   ...

16947086791_7a2a475fc3_c.jpgDSC00519 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

To be honest, I got all a bit screwed-up about it as must be obvious from this view  .....

16947533615_4f403388a0_c.jpgDSC00536 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

At least it might prevent Aerobatics going totally Loco  ..........................   errr  .............................   Locos going totally Aerobatic   ......    :O

Oh yes    ...................................    just sooozzzzzz dt doesn't think it is just another crafty way to sneak a Runway onto the Baseboards  .......   

16760076420_1aa34a9234_c.jpgDSC00526 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Those Runway Lights are far to large   ..........    even I noticed that   ........     ;)

and the other one is far too steep   .......

16740182747_3a0764cf6e_c.jpgToo steep by far by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

:swoon:   .................................................    :pilot:

Thank you RaR  ....

Good to see you back in action.

Hope you didn't lose a lot of data on the Hard drive.

dh

Fortunately they managed to retrieve all the files except 3 [as far as I am aware] and I had them on a Bake-up I did before taking it to the Electro Saw-Byte Bones

I got those bits screwed up and quite tidy   ...   for me  ........    then   ..............

along came some wastrel Fly-tipper dumped a whole load of scrap wood and metal on the Boards    .......    :O

16946563711_3df73c8e11_c.jpgDSC00540 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Honestly some people have no respect for other's property   .................     :no:  ..  :nono:

Edited by jcredfer

Had to get the Engineers out to sort that lot   ...........   after all, some of it might come in useful   .....    :scratchhead:

Turns out it was lumps of Track   ..............   but not a lot was of use 'though   ...................     when it was sorted into groups of the same type, I examined it carefully, only to find, to my intense disappointment, that only a few of the curved bits were the right direction curves for the Baseboard  ......

16921581936_85beb07177_c.jpgDSC00541 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Not to be deterred - [we are made of sterner stuff round here] .............   :senile:   ............   not to be deterred, I was off to my local Model shop, where the owner soon exchanged the left curves for right curve ones  .........   :sungum:   ........   amazing service - wouldn't get that from the Box-shifters  ......    :no:

From then it didn't take long to see how much could be used to match the plans, certified by that famous North-Eastern Arkitek  .........  [some say - the Maltese economy would fail, if it were not for regular injections from his UK Pension funds  ...  all we really know is - he is called RaR!]

16761311059_55d69829b9_c.jpgDSC00544 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

After it was all laid out there, it was obvious that, some bits were too long and there were a few places where there were gaps  .........  not quite sure what to do about that, but I'm pretty sure that if I look at it for a while, I will probably come up with some relevant points   ..........    :scratchhead: .......   :scratchhead:

Off for an Easter break shortly - so there will be an equally short break in Amateur Rumblings  .....  

Those of you with kids - enjoy the holiday  .....      :scared: 

• Like 4

I examined it carefully, only to find, to my intense disappointment, that only a few of the curved bits were the right direction curves for the Baseboard  ......

Can't you simply flip then around (do a 180deg) then, with a thin pair of pliers, tug - to adjust the connectors to suit ?

Or are you saying they are different radii curves? In which case ebay...?  And use the proceeds to buy air miles :jester:

Enjoy the Easter break

dh

The problem is  .....  they curve to the left and not the ri ... ght   .................................

Can't you simply flip them around (do a 180deg) then, with a thin pair of pliers, tug - to adjust the connectors to suit ?

Or are you saying they are different radii curves? In which case ebay...?  And use the proceeds to buy air miles :jester:

Enjoy the Easter break

dh

...............................................................     Oh    ..................................................               :whistle:  

............................      now I see why you are such a great Arkitek    ........................

I think I might need that break, more than Mrs R   ............    :jester:

Just to be a little less frivolous for a moment, I hit a minor snag, which didn't reveal it'self until well after the Boards had been put together.

As can be seen the Facing Boards/Loco stops [Fascia?] run across the joints in the boards along the sides and bolts are applied to take advantage of the vertical stiffness in the Fascia.  The combination of Pattern Maker's Dowels, a couple of bolts for each joint face and the vertical Ply sheets should tie the boards to reduce any flex between the boards, where they meet.  I wouldn't have bothered quite so much had the rails passed over the joints in a near right-angle direction, but they all pass over at about 45o.  So any separation would have maximum effect on the track alignment.

16947533615_4f403388a0_c.jpgDSC00536 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

When it came to dismantle it to adopt the camouflage position, behind the En-suite door, the Fascia wouldn't separate from the Base-board sides, after all the bolts had been removed.  It took quite a lot of force to shift them with a small number of little splinters which came away round some of the holes and other spots where a small bit of the drilling swarf had got firmly stuck between the boards.  I had to cut bits of swarf from the boards with a knife.

I had clamped the boards so they didn't move while the holes were drilled through.  Having drilled them, I screwed the bolts up, to ensure complete alignment.  They remained so until after the whole job was complete and all the pictures taken for your enlightenment entertainment. 

My guess would be that as the drilling progressed there was enough pressure at the sides of the hole for some of the swarf to be pressed between the boards, taking with it some of the glue keeping the Ply veneers together and the drill may have warmed the glue sufficiently to make it sticky again.  At that point with the bolts applied the glue would cool and set again.  It remains to be seen whether my guess is right or whether it is something other and there is a recurrence.  I will try and see.

I wish  ...  [been on a better pension now ...   :jester:

Yer shuud'a bin a test pilot hinnie

dh

........   aktuerly  .....  given the sides were clamped quite tightly   .....  I didn't think pilot holes were needed   .....    :jester:

However in the event, it would seem that advice might well have been of benefit  .....   :scratchhead:

Edit: crossed the "t", left the "i" ...

Edited by jcredfer

• 3 weeks later...

Weeeell  ......   whilst waiting for another opportunity to convert the Camouflaged wall look-alikes into a layout  -  bit of a problem slipping it past the M-in-L Guard post in the lounge [and she staying for some days yet!   .......   so another matter might get a dusting off   ......

I thought a little gentle application of some Kadees might not draw too much attention of the management   ...........   Ssshhh 'though  .....

I did a new Bachmann first, even though it had their modern springy swivel-thingys attached to the body, some long NEM shanks seemed to go in ok  ...  but as yet not track tested  .....    Sssshhh  ....

Next I now arrived at some which have older Couplers.  I was going to do some Bachmann “Local Suburban Set” coaches [Collett Corridor] and find they have a narrow Tension Lock, attached to the Bogies [marked 3023E, if that has any meaning].  The attachment is through a bar, screwed in the centre and 2 location pegs outboard.  Looking at the height where the Kadee box would be screwed, it seems that the only possible fit might come from Underset Shank Couplers.  Does anyone have any information about what Kadee couplers might be best from what is available.

The attachment front edge is slightly beyond the end of the coach chassis, suggesting the Short [144 Whisker set, or 24 Normal set] Given the Buffers are not sprung the Medium length ones might also be worth a look [147 Whisker, or 27 Normal].  Not sure which of these will sit high enough, if at all.  I would imagine that a set of Short and a set of Normal would allow for experiment.  I am not sure if there is a variety of Boxes to fit them in, nor if any of the boxes will sit higher than others.

The 56xx loco, from the Set,  has pockets, which are standard old fashioned low Bachmann ones, for which it looks like, there is no Kadee suited.  They are so low it may be suitable to glue another pocket on top of it and fit a 362 coupler??  Have anyone come across any reasonable answer to this one either?

Regards and thank you for your time.

Julian

Edited by jcredfer
  • Like 2

Weeeell  ......   whilst waiting for another opportunity to convert the Camouflaged wall look-alikes into a layout  -  bit of a problem slipping it past the M-in-L Guard post in the lounge [and she staying for some days yet!   .......   so another matter might get a dusting off   ......

I thought a little gentle application of some Kadees might not draw too much attention of the management   ...........   Ssshhh 'though  .....

I did a new Bachmann first, even though it had their modern springy swivel-thingys attached to the body, some long NEM shanks seemed to go in ok  ...  but as yet not track tested  .....    Sssshhh  ....

Next I now arrived at some which have older Couplers.  I was going to do some Bachmann “Local Suburban Set” coaches [Collett Corridor] and find they have a narrow Tension Lock, attached to the Bogies [marked 3023E, if that has any meaning].  The attachment is through a bar, screwed in the centre and 2 location pegs outboard.  Looking at the height where the Kadee box would be screwed, it seems that the only possible fit might come from Underset Shank Couplers.  Does anyone have any information about what Kadee couplers might be best from what is available.

The attachment front edge is slightly beyond the end of the coach chassis, suggesting the Short [144 Whisker set, or 24 Normal set] Given the Buffers are not sprung the Medium length ones might also be worth a look [147 Whisker, or 27 Normal].  Not sure which of these will sit high enough, if at all.  I would imagine that a set of Short and a set of Normal would allow for experiment.  I am not sure if there is a variety of Boxes to fit them in, nor if any of the boxes will sit higher than others.

The 56xx loco, from the Set,  has pockets, which are standard old fashioned low Bachmann ones, for which it looks like, there is no Kadee suited.  They are so low it may be suitable to glue another pocket on top of it and fit a 362 coupler??  Have anyone come across any reasonable answer to this one either?

Regards and thank you for your time.

Julian

J, have come up with these,from a search, maybe of help ?

1...........Coupling Collet Coaches.

2..Coupling Collet Coaches.

3..Coupling Collet Coaches.

4..Coupling Collet Coaches.

5..Coupling Collet Coaches.

6..Coupling Collet Coaches.

A selection  of links for you. :drag:

Thanks dt  .....   up there with assistance as ever   .................    :sungum:  :sungum:

I will now make a cuppa and settle to some reading   .......     :read:

...........   and a bit of plotting    ...   :paint:  

Nice Job on the stealth baseboards JC. Completely undetectable by SWMBO. will look forward to seeing the track appear.

Cheers

Marcus

J, a man in your position, must know someone, who can supply, coating for   these,   for your b/board's,

keep it under the radar though.... :blind:  :pilot:  :hunter:

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't had much time for soldering Droppers lately  ...  but  ...  did get an afternoon at the SW Model engineering Show at Shepton Mallet.  Lots of different models on show and several rail layouts.  Not only did I get some simple ideas which might be useful for joining track across baseboard joins, although some were slightly work intensive [although still simple]  ...  I managed a couple of bargains too.
First up was a Workstation by Humbrol.  What I hadn't noticed before was that it has a curved slot at the back, so you can look at plans as you work.  What finally did it was a Humbrol cutting mat, for which the Workstation had a fitted recession, was included in the price  ...  hook, line and sinker  ...   :sungum: 
At least now I can be more confident to leave MD with paint and water pots secure at the top of the station, with much less likelyhood the carpet will find a new design, as has happened on [not] a few occasions [Def for new viewers:- Mini Driver, age 9, female, says she doesn't like trains, but is never far away when they are out]

17328162440_f1167f61e1_z.jpgWorkstation + fitted mat by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

As I walked away with my Workstaion I caught sight of a rather useful tool  ...  a Gyro-Cut rotary knife  ...   paper and thin card cutter.  That was being sold for £15 and included 2 x spare blades in the price  ...  hook, line and sinker  ...   :sungum: 
The blade is at the end of a vertical cylinder and angled slightly down at one end.  The blade is held by a couple of tiny ball bearing races and rotates to follow the line as you draw it over the paper.  So easy to use and the cutting edge is relatively, safe; MD was cutting flowers and all sorts of other shapes in minutes of seeing it.  The trick is to keep the cylinder blade vertical, otherwise slice away at your paper.   :locomotive:

17513590872_fa8b0c76af_z.jpgGyro Cutter by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

http://www.craftyproducts.co.uk/paper-cutting-tools  this is their web site [i have no connection, just very pleased at such a simple and easy to use tool and thought it worth sharing.]

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

This arrived yesterday, not quite sure what it might be doing on a Shunting Puzzle Sandwich ...

25883108725_6720c15b04_c.jpg20160318130423 by Julian

Redfern, on Flickr 

All I need now are 2 more like that and  .......

...................................................................................    120 x 100 ton trucks to go with it  .....    :O  :O    :nono: ..........  :senile:

Regards

Julian

• Like 3