Light Switches? ... Turning the Tables...

jcredfer

Brexit - the Jury is still well out on that.  That would be on the grounds that both sides have some very dodgy characters, who would very much incline me to vote for anything they claimed   .....   was in opposition to their opinion!

Wow!

That switcher's bell sounds like you've already jumped the gun on Brexit and joined as 51st state on that window cill.

dh

I have met many delightful US citizens   .......   but  ...

.....   Long before I consider belonging to a 51st state of the US of A, they will need to reduce the numbers of US citizens shot dead, by US citizens, upon US soil - to a number, considerably less, than those US citizens shot dead during Wars in their various conflicts - abroad   ...........

..........   and they will have to learn how to spell   ......    :scratchhead:

[Just to clarify - official figures seem to suggest that;

US killed in wars on foreign soil, in the last 400 years -  0.51 million.

Those killed during internal wars, in the last 400 years - 0.51 million.  ..............   not including several million native Americans, to clear them from the land they occupied before Europeans arrived.

Those shot - dead - on US soil, by US citizens - 11 - 14 thousand   ...............................................................    every year, beating, in less than 50 years, the sum total managed by all their foreign enemies.

More US citizens shot dead, in less than 100 years, on US soil, by US citizens, than the total of all of their wars, home and away.

More US citizens killed in one year, in US, than Hitler's men managed to inflict on the the complete Normandy landing invasion forces, of all nations.]

I'll stick to a mug of tea and a couple of Rich Tea biscuits.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a new paint brush  ...............................    about 4 months ago   ........       and I have a nice shiny blade in my modelling knife   ..........

I've had a kit since visiting Dover Priory, Folkstone and Dover Show - last year   ......................     I took it out of the bag on Friday  ............    it came to bits so I took hold of the brush and it started to look like this   ...     The observant amongst you may note that the Cricket is a bit confused with 2 x the number of Wickets and they just refused to stay upright - I think they may have been made in NZ and are falling over in sympathy!!!    :O  :O

26210285815_53621f84fc_c.jpgDSC01195 by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

Eventually it ended up all stuck together too  .........   although there are some areas where paint needs touching in  .........    

26144011401_82c6278f84_c.jpgDSC01200 by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

The question is - will it fit in the tiny Signal box?

A peep in through the door to see if Andy Pandy is home the bits are small enough  ............

26117872112_39412a7524_c.jpgDSC01205 by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

Well there is something in there, but it is a slightly tight fit.  .................

26117912412_195cc923c3_c.jpgDSC01206 by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

There is room for a bit of comfort still..........   :drag:

26184539876_cb7572335e_c.jpgDSC01203 by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

but not much    ...........

25607826903_f0cf7eca43_c.jpgDSC01202 by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

There is still a bit of tidying to do on the paint, gloss varnish on the metal parts after that and raising the rear of the Lever Rack, will give more internal room [and perhaps save the Wg Co from injuring his back trying to reach over and haul the Off Levers.]

I intend to glue the bits into the Box, with PVA so it could possibly be soaked out, if required.  Any other better ideas out  there in the "Land of Model Skills?"

J

• Like 5

I bought a new paint brush  ...............................    about 4 months ago   ........       and I have a nice shiny blade in my modelling knife   ..........

I've had a kit since visiting Dover Priory, Folkstone and Dover Show - last year   ......................     I took it out of the bag on Friday  ............    it came to bits so I took hold of the brush and it started to look like this   ...     The observant amongst you may note that the Cricket is a bit confused with 2 x the number of Wickets and they just refused to stay upright - I think they may have been made in NZ and are falling over in sympathy!!!    :O  :O

26210285815_53621f84fc_c.jpgDSC01195 by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

Eventually it ended up all stuck together too  .........   although there are some areas where paint needs touching in  .........    

26144011401_82c6278f84_c.jpgDSC01200 by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

The question is - will it fit in the tiny Signal box?

A peep in through the door to see if Andy Pandy is home the bits are small enough  ............

26117872112_39412a7524_c.jpgDSC01205 by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

Well there is something in there, but it is a slightly tight fit.  .................

26117912412_195cc923c3_c.jpgDSC01206 by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

There is room for a bit of comfort still..........   :drag:

26184539876_cb7572335e_c.jpgDSC01203 by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

but not much    ...........

25607826903_f0cf7eca43_c.jpgDSC01202 by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

There is still a bit of tidying to do on the paint, gloss varnish on the metal parts after that and raising the rear of the Lever Rack, will give more internal room [and perhaps save the Wg Co from injuring his back trying to reach over and haul the Off Levers.]

I intend to glue the bits into the Box, with PVA so it could possibly be soaked out, if required.  Any other better ideas out  there in the "Land of Model Skills?"

J

Yep, return the model, this coming October.

Oh, and seek advice.

Easy J,

Handbrake off, handbrake on, handbrake off, etc, once you have put the brick on the pedal.

You obviously don't sign 66's David other wise you would know the first thing you do is hit the starter motor several times with a brake stick to get it to start. HaHaHa!!

I'm looking for a pair of 20s in the same livery.    :whistle:

Hi Julian
Just having a catch up. Layouts coming along nicely and you've done a superb job on that signal box.
Glad to see you've bought a 66 in a proper livery!
Sounds good too.
Cheers
Marcus

My excuse logic for a purchase is any a loco which has some sort of a connection .............   for instance, an LMR Class 08/9, Basra, which I drove on a Railway Operating course, a couple few many years back, Army J94 Robin Hood for the same reason, a 45XX from a family outing to East Somerset Railway, FGW HST Mum went to work in every day for 10 years [very rare find that was too], A4 Sir Nigel Gresley being the first open mouth "Wow" from MD as it accelerated past 20 feet away out of Dawlish Station, A4 Mallard as it is brother/sister to Sir Nigel and record holder, Harry Potter Castle as MD loves the books, a Castle, with sound to return with the Hogwart's Express coaches, as the kids wouldn't be on board   .............    I hesitate to list them all, as some are so tenuous I might have to admit to cheating on the rules.    :locomotive:  :locomotive:............  :jester:.....................  :O

66 Sound is from CoastalDCC.

J

• Like 2

I like that logic. Think it's called "its my railway so I'll run what I want". PDW has all the right trains for Peak Forest but over a twenty year period so watch out for ICI vaccum braked hoppers running along side Freightliner HIA's when I apply the same logic HaHaHa!

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just bought the new version 6 of AnyRail, planner.  It has a few additions to the original, like tunnels, bridges and embankments. There are a couple of 3D rotational views too.

I have a small round-and-round planned, so it can be easily packed away, so I have some pictures of that, as it isn't as complicated as some.

I have some samples just run off from existing plans.  The first picture is a larger plan with a climb, embankment and a bridge. The second shows a different texture to the grass and you might just make out a tunnel far right. It also has options for track looks and stuff like ballast choices too. 

27621645030_220f13be2e_c.jpgPavillion outside climb v2_3D 2 by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

27798664992_171ae2a3c0_c.jpgDouble track OO with sidings 6'2 x 4' (2)_3D 2 by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

New but better to get an idea of the plans

Regards

J

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Eeh up!  What's the old man dragged in now?

28059236110_fbb61fa670_c.jpgSide view West Country by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

Seems more interested in that WRAF he's chattin' up!!

Nice Cab - lousy photographer.  All the detail is crisp, even to the scales on the water guages.

28262827971_21f4efa904_c.jpgFuzzy Cab by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

Not even moulded smoke deflectors ...

27725193414_50b1281920_c.jpgSmoke deflectors by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

Said he had been out for a night on the tiles  ....  :O :o

27725257854_90f3e24aef_c.jpgAccelerate by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

Edited by jcredfer
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finally got out of the Sun and Mossies.

Needed some assistance for some imminent track laying {about time some might think - so I'll say it for you.}  :sungum:

Loco and these 2 Network Rail carriages.

Not the most perfect of sound files and it doesn't have lights, strange for these days, but does seem to have see through jewels.  I will need to have the top off before I can confirm that and given what it does, might not bother. 
The EZ Command controller came with it, which only has 10 functions and the F10 doesn't work, if it is not lights. It reminds me why I like the NCE Powercab so much, which I had to get out, to check that the F10, 11, 12 on the loco was working.

Apparently redundant stock from a bit of concrete work on Dover beach.

28513199704_9b2852b4ac_z.jpgClass 22 Network Rail by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

.....    and these - coach and van

29100772376_3494bc67fe_c.jpgNetwork rail coaches by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I was going to show you this.

[it is video, but needs to be clicked to get it to work.]

29610210005_27f6292eb9_c.jpgJ94 Austerity by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

However, I was running it in and noticed it was running with a front wheel dangling outside the outer rail  ...  hummm!  Silly me, I thought and stopped Major General Errol, to tuck the offending wheels back on track and a slap on the wrist for being so clumsy.

Having set the old fella for a jogg again, I noticed, shortly that he was hanging the front boots over the side again.  A series of checks revealed where the old chap was slipping the boots over the side.

[This is video too.]

29320196160_9f0e9a8425_c.jpgBoots off by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

An examination of the rails revealed this  ...

29610756715_95902c66bb_c.jpgTrack join by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

Anyone seen the fault yet?

Well done, indeed.  Of course  ... it's the Fish Plate on the inside rail.  Well fancy that now, assembled with more of the Fish Plate on the one rail [left hand one] than on the other.  Unfortunately [depending on how you look at it] Bachmann put a spot-weld on their Fish Plates, so it wouldn't slide back to it's correct position.

I know, I know, just what does that matter anyway, it isn't sticking up onto the wheel rim.    ............    However   ........... a look from the side revealed all.

29500718492_368819c296_c.jpgThe rise at the end of the rail by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

That's not much of a rise, "Bake-off" would be giggling and pointing in derision.  The Fish Plate had displaced far enough to be over sleeper instead of the gap provided,  Surprisingly it raised the rail join 0.4mm above the normal level, even when pressure was applied to the top of the rail.  A quick Calliper on the old gent's rims, showed the welt on the boots to be only 0.5mm.  Problem solved and the rail went back to the shop for the next visit of the Bachmann Rep's attention.  I suspect they may have a quality control issue, as a number of these curved rails had their Fish Plates in the same position.

J

Edited by jcredfer
  • Like 1

Well  ...  'ain't it a busy time  .... Postie Knocks arrived at lunchtime today.  Box of 5 and a single ...   didn't think smokies could be bought like that any more.  :nono:

29600494866_ebea90fe0c_c.jpgBox of 5 and a single. by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

All individual numbers and straight from the manufacturer, hence the pristine look.  Obviously their first coal load.
I quite like the inner construction, which makes it easier to add foam and real coal loads.

29600475016_45abc8deb9_c.jpgBox of 5 smoking materiel by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

29009233204_d760802be9_c.jpgInterior by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

Out with an SD70ACe for a rumble round Mountbagel.   :sungum: :sungum:

29635182835_67d51ff170_c.jpgRound Mountbagel by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

J

Edit - thing = think ... [should have done that when I was typing.]

Edited by jcredfer
  • Like 2

are you going to weather them?

I have a feeling that I may not be able to use the "new, replacement stock" excuse for very long.   :scratchhead:  The ones I saw, in the US were quite new stock, so had a sort of gold{is} hue.  It might be interesting to see if that is achievable.  A gentle go with an air gun might get there.

I want to do the coal, on PIR, with different shape piles and that might come along first.

J

Edit - wee = see  ..........    :no:

Edited by jcredfer
  • Like 3

This is the sort of colour I saw.  Not absolutely accurate, but the morning light isn't too bad.  It was sort of cross between straw and a pale gold.

14905632135_86c6a20e82_c.jpgDSC_0850 by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

This one doesn't show much of the wagon, but gives a better look at the colour, in sun and also in shadow on the side.

14904939511_ff5e05d440_c.jpgDSC_0852 crop by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

Looking at the colour of the rocks/soil [very widespread for hundreds of miles, where we travelled], gives an idea of the dust which it seems they were collecting.

J

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

There used to be an old RAF saying   .....   "To go up, pull back on the Stick.  To go down, pull back further."  The layout is suffering from too much pulled back Stick and is consequently, likewise" stalled, until I can get rid of a large antique Oak chest from indoors and make some more space out in the garage.  In the meanwhile, I am managing to acculmulate a few more bits of Stock.  It feels more like being a collector [sSsssshhhhh!!!!  :scared: ] than a modeller right now, but hopefully they will be good to go when the Baseboard is under way. 

I still have a "good" US GE44AC to arrive, off pre-order and the Army LMR Guards [Bachmann] van too.  Once I have the Guards van, I will have the complete train we were given to play with and I can take a file to the J94 0-6-0ST wheels to put a small flat areas on each one, as a reminder to stir the memory of driving one back to the Depot, with the Flat tyres I managed to create when sliding desparately to stop at a Home Signal, having come round the blind corner having taken too scant notice of the, fixed, outer!  The bolloc*ing was something which left no doubt about the consequences of the slide, despite containing quite a few words I had not come across before and some not even since, but despite that their meaning was crystal clear!! Won't ever do that again!!  :O :o

Aother signal box interior is started and I'm just about to test if my intended solution for operating a pair of cross-over Points, in tandem, with one Servo, will work.

I've been visiting yours too and am enjoying the progress you are making.

Merry Christmas to you and all the other folks.  Hope you have an enjoyable break.

J

How's your layout getting on?

Edit = typo

Edited by jcredfer
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

A small experiment on the new boards {well one of them anyway].

Last night the permanent way team arrived.

32173595373_bd94cd8de3_c.jpgLots of activity by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

They were not back, early this morning, so a peek at the "goings on" was possible.  The truck with the equipment had gone.

32144022224_1209c15f4e_c.jpgPW Team arrive by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

Made a bit of a spectacle of myself there. Everything seemed a bit temporary, with loads of sticky stuff. like giant BluTac, looks like some sort of testing. I got a video of a Servo motor which swung to horizontal left and right.  {Edit - videos take a moment or two to load}

32946643016_9fe8639142_c.jpgPoints swing by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

and and a video of a Bell-crank with Point Rodding attached

32607018440_d2e674a79e_c.jpgPoints and Rodding by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

They were clearly attempting to swing two sets of Points with one motor and make it look like the Points were operated separately.  I got a video of a test.  The top one swung first followed by the lower one.  Reversing swung the lower one first, then the top one.

32606289170_bb36af2dc4_c.jpgTop first then nearest and reverse by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

I videoed a slower motion test from the side.  Here it is right Points first then left.  Reverse again opposite order, with left Points first.  Quite a lot of compression on the springs but no chatter from the Servo, as the Arm/Horn is in-line with the axle.  Looks like the electrickery is by Peco Smartswitch, but the Servo is a smaller one, to go under the platform.

32987903895_f66e868c70_c.jpgRight first then left first by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

32862521401_db2ae1202a_c.jpgServo arm in line by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

Seems like there is a bit of connector testing too, with 3 on view.  One used the central hole, another was wrap-round Point-Rodding and an unmade connector to be soldered onto the Rodding.  Peronaly, I think they might well go with the brass connector, although the centre hole is less obtrusive, it is more difficult to deal with, should something around the Points need repair.

32606145250_b21b654f73_c.jpgL bend in centre by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

32172924693_85bec40227_c.jpgRound the spike by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

Regards

J

Edited by jcredfer
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Having checked that the Servos worked as planned, I moved on to another section of the Boards, to see how the curved points fitted according to the AnyRail plan.  Back at the Baseboard, there was a delivery.

33835744180_3e14fbfcec_z.jpgWood stack delivery by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

A 3ft x 10" chunk of Ply and a small wood stack  ..........   well, it's a start    ...   :paint:

Having placed the curved points on the Baseboard, I put a Coach, a "Points de-rail expert" [otherwise knows as a Dapol 6 wheel Tanker] and a 4 wheel Hornby Horse Box together, to check Points running, overhang clearances and fit of Points on the Board.  The Horse Box was a disappointing runner, until I eased the wheel brakes off the rims!!    :nono:

34085391311_11b517e5c7_z.jpgTrack test unhitch by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

The Horse Box kept catching the Kadee Tail on the plastic rail guides and sometimes became detached.  Maybe a problem running Kadees on Curved Points[?] but the reason was soon revealed.  The Tail and Knuckle were way too low.

34216341185_c106bf15b3_z.jpgInevitable disconnect by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

Since the wagon is recent, and the Kadee just a replacement in the NEM box, this was somewhat of a surprise and would have been troublesome even with Tension Locks.  There is a box, under the chassis and the NEM fitting is below that   ..................   bit of a "Stumbling Block!".    :mosking:    :no:

33374265174_5440fdd1f8_n.jpgStumbling block by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

I did think about removing the box below the chassis and extending, upwards, the Hornby NEM V-shaped groove that the NEM fitting locates in.  I removed the box to get a better look  ... 

33405620463_814055d235_z.jpgA slice off the old block by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

But, with all the gubbins hanging down, it seemed better to glue a Kadee box in place.  Once cut down, I adjusted the Knuckle height by using BluTack.

34175654016_ee2d99a76b_z.jpgBetter connections by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

Replaced the Brakes which fell victim to the saw and did the other end.  I put a couple of passengers into the pax compartment, while it was in bits, but that wasn't a great success, as they are hardly visible in the rather dark interior.  All in all, a rather disappointing purchase and time distracted from rail plan checking.  Oh well, back to the Drawing Board Base-boards.  :senile:

Regards all.

J

Edited by jcredfer
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

That's the sort of thing you kind of have to deal with when changing standards J. You have made a good job of it and in the end it will all pay dividends in the form of faultless running sessions.

Just love the springing on the point operating mechs.

Regards Shaun.