Light Switches? ... Turning the Tables...

jcredfer

I have a related question (I asked dt but your discussion is much closer).........

For landscaping scenery........

I have tried polyfoam xps, this pink stuff at 50mm thick is to my mind brilliant cut well holds it's shape and bears weight, but am having trouble sourcing it

I have tried kingspan it's ok. The cream bits when you cut are not so bad. Painted it and it kept its shape.

I tried cellotex and decided to try painting directly on the foam so I stripped away one metal film side, and coloured it (no cutting) next morning it had curled A LOT, but what amazed me was it curled towards the side the foam was removed, I would have expected it to curve, if at all, towards the remaining filmed side because it would be tensioned. I am trying weights at each end to smooth the curve as it is like 6inches plus, a gentle curve would make nice terrain.

Has anyone else had such an experience?

I thought kingspan and Celleotex were basically the same thing.

We have Recticel have yet to paint it.

Any thoughts?

Hi Both,

I use the Pink stuff      ........................    [Foam!]  ...   :nono:

The Foam is called Polyfoam and there are various outlets.  The outlet I used does Exhibition Exhibits in all sorts of shapes and sculptures and can't really afford to have any of those warping.

I haven't had any problems with it either  ........    I have used the Cellotex on the "Sandwich With Sidings", which went ok, without any problem evident   ....   however, I did use lots of books on top when gluing each side of the Ply to it   ................    and   ..............    a portion of Nigella   .......   :O  :nono:

Also re the Cellotex, I am sure I  heard that someone had the same warping problems with it, making a platform. The problem was solved in the same way as I did, but with Weight-Trg weights to hold while it dried and no problems since.

J

Thanks dt,

I read this a while ago, from a post in another Forum [i believe your post too]

It is a very good article indeed and is much more simple than many other methods I have seen  -  very effective too  ....   :declare:

J

I had a look at it, I was interested to know that despite not using plaster board, I used plaster cast I am following most of the techniques. I do have a bunch of spare plaster board, and will reread this as I do yards ponds, roads etc. Thanks for the tip.

Hi Both,

The Zip stuff will work on any shape. I don't understand the ref to Plasterboard.

I suspect there is something in the article, can you save me the task of wading through, while I read juvenile stories and peel veg, please.

J

:offtopic:

Just a moment, hang about, I just googled that Dad Granddad advert   .........    what you trying to say there?    ..........   :nono:

http://www.youtube.com/user/WeetabixFoodCo

Anyway  ..............  I don't have a hat like that   ..................     :no:     ...............................................................     mine's a Bisley hat   ....................  :declare:

..........   and our water guns spray further  .......................

..............   and the Dominos went in a spiral...........

..........   and you should se her collection of Flint Knives  ...........

More important    ................................................................................................   where are the trains  ....   :senile:

J

Zip texturing sorry it took a while, this seemed an easier way, not finished by far but,

this was celotex, rip foil off both sides, get a sanding block and apply for contoured roads, and paths etc

adds grass, colour, hedges, blah blah. The roads took me less than 5 minutes to 'cut', I need to weather etc. but you  get the idea.

med_gallery_17883_2878_630987.jpg0508

med_gallery_17883_2878_845226.jpg0507

med_gallery_17883_2878_1433675.jpg0502

med_gallery_17883_2878_1427675.jpg0501

med_gallery_17883_2878_955851.jpg0505

• Like 3

As I did not make 

a, a prototypical picture outside

b, take it inside for change of light effect

c, make copies amounts of different plaster powder and dry powder colours (ration 24 parts plaster to up to 5 parts mixed colours black brown yellow being popular) to imitate soil etc in prototypical picture

d. then blend them and wet them to set them....

I have apparently failed.......been 'told off by dt'  :jester: ...............but you got to like the natural sunlight...........

sorry hogged your thread....i put them up on mine too though if you want them removed.....

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

Hi Jaz,

sorry hogged your thread....I put them up on mine too though if you want them removed.....

This is a very appropriate update of the original idea in the Model Railway magazine  ....    the use of Foam is frequently bypassed in favour of some more traditional methods.

As you said, it is very quick to shape and light to move around if needed.  .............      :declare:

Some of the Zip method was in the use of "free-fall" coloured dusts onto [mainly rocks] scenery, to represent how it would have got there naturally. 

If I am honest, I would have to read it again to see how it might apply to houses and such.

J

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst mini driver is painting the camper van,you might want to consider buying her some DAS clay

You can make some very interesting items.......

med_gallery_17883_2781_569828.jpg0710

I will point out this is so NOT 00 gauge more like two humbrol pots high.................good luck    :girldevil:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Thanks Jaz,

Workshop temporarily converted into Conservatory for the Festivities, trees, presents, lights etc

Might get a few moments to look at putting leaves onto Seafoam, in the Lounge  ....   

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all the kind persons who have visited these Forums.

Julian

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I would look at some Seafoam [sF] for some small trees, just to move the viewer's eyes away from the buildings and other stuff.

I want to see which method gives the best result, so, in the experimental nature of the idea, I chose a bit of SF which was not going to appear anywhere because of it's shape.

I thought a late year look might be fun, so used the Autumn ones near the top and a few lower down....

11630743076_d38761f119_z.jpg
DSC_0364 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

The first coat of leaves looked a bit thin, lower down, I thought, so added some more  ....   had some assistance from Mini Driver

Mmmm......

11630411144_d58fbbcb84_z.jpg
DSC_0453 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

The leaves are not quite as clumped together as the photograph seems to show them  ...   but  ....

Looks to me like too much now and I reckon less in the middle. It doesn't make sense for there to be as many leaves closer to the trunk.

Might try another method of applying the PVA  ......

• Like 4

There was me thinking I might try a short cut to getting the leaves round the edge of the branches   ........................

The idea was to have a dip [for the Seafoam!!] and another for the leaves   ....

11713515326_c2bfeca93d_z.jpg
DSC_0467 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Seemed like a good idea and these are the start point......

11713099603_96b6551b6c_z.jpg
DSC_0461 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

After the first double dip they only picked up a pretty thin scatter....  which can be compared with the first one done with a paint brush for the glue

11713489116_46f8121127_z.jpg
DSC_0470 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Pretty thin, so I dipped again when dry and tried to get more glue on   ......   

11713587766_90cf8c7d32_z.jpg
DSC_0464 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

I also tried putting the leaves into the glue and dipping into the mix but that simply wasn't going to play

11712610673_5a8558fe40_z.jpg
DSC_0477 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

better but will still need touching again .....

Part of the problem was the glue which simply wasn't very sticky. I had added a little water [not very much either] and it wasn't sticky enough to pick up the leaves properly.

I will try to do the same again with "Full 'Orse" Glue   ...................    :superman:

Indecipherable/Unsure of meaning x 1    ......................................     :jester:

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...