Light Switches? ... Turning the Tables...

jcredfer

Dear, dear, what a load of fuss   ... the Old Man is making more noise than an Maternity Wing, at full heave  .........

He is still going on, repeating about a "K" arriving and said he can hear it from here, perhaps the fella is in a Plane      ..........   there must be a deal of money involved too, as I had a glimpse of a Memo, to the Adj, about this bloke who had generally freed a rich pile over many years   .............
Wg Co just hauled me in to tell me to be ready with the tool box, as someone had told him that the "Old Foggie"  [well, yes those were my words - venerable ex Wartime gentleman, was the Wg Co's version.] might be suffering from having a loose screw and must have a bad Cold – cause I get to wipe his nose for him [ugh!] too by all the Wg Co said.......   that's not all, I'm supposed to be aware that he might want to use the occasion of the visit to announce he is  - well - you know - sort of - well, "Coming Out" - thing
.................   ...............   tool box - tool box?  .......   what am I supposed to do    ...........  break the lock on his Strait Jacket, or put the Old Fella in a wooden box, so he can't do anyone a damage?  ......

..................   Wow, what a row   ..................   Aahh, that's our visitor    ........................   Oh, now I see it all, the Wg Co hasn't lost his marbles after all            .....................    hang on 'though  ..............  what's a Pongo doing on a Battle of Britain?..........    ..............   [Oops, there was a Chief of Staff meeting during the War, which came to the agreement that it wasn't proper for people to go round calling the Army by the "Pongo" nickname any more - insulting and all that sort of thing. Everyone went away and sent Signals to the whole mass of Military Units, saying the use of the nickname was to cease - except -  the Navy whose Flag Officer sent a Signal to all Navy Units, with the Order that "in future all Pongos will be referred to as Army Personnel."   ..  aahh, I got caught out there, naughty boy.]
................     Aah yes - now that makes sense   ....   the Wg Co isn't quite off his marbles, repeating on about a "K"    ..............   "Ack Ack" - of course - this fella was in charge of Air Defence for the War   .............

12927728285_b550670cfd_c.jpg
DSC_0581 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

...............   Oh, no  .............  that loose screw      ................   the bloke hasn't got a bad cold, either   ......   no need to be wiping anyone’s nose, I might have to remove the Boggie   .....   to get to a loose screw  ......   :declare: 
.....................     ..................   Oh my goodness   ..............  look at that Speedo Cable and the tiny screw on it   ................    the Wg Co must have forgotten I'm fully paid up with the Clumsy Club   .....  that’s a Tweezer job and the Wg Co hasn’t seen how far things fly from them…..   thoughts already, about where replacement screws might be purchased, and I haven’t got near it yet   ….   :butcher: 

12928176094_091f09c456_c.jpg
DSC_0577 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Oh, of course, he isn't Out anywhere either  .......   not AC/DC   ........   check to see if the socket is there for changing from DC to DCC   .....   between you and me, it would be much better if the Wg Co spoke much clearer   .....   :yes:

Lol, I had to read that twice to get it all,

• I'm liking the visitor / visiting loco. you could of course have him / Sir Frederick Pile pulled by a comrade in arms, as though he is broken down so not being DCC would not be an issue.
  • I see you appear to be doing something scenic by the signal box. Some ballasting perhaps?
  • No sign of the Wg Co (Wing Commanders) car.....is it an unofficial visit?
  • Like 1

Now there's a set of good thoughts Jaz. [particularly "Rule Number One there.........  :O ] :nono:

Ok, jesting apart, the whole thing started with the Calne [Wiltshire] Show, where I could resist, no longer an itch which has been around for a long time. 

I have always stuck to a premise that I would buy running stock based on trains which could encourage roll-play for the Mini-Driver, should she ever show any real interest.

However, that itch   ....   simply an 8750 0-6-0 PT in GWR livery    ...............I can think of no family connection, except that they may have run through and around Mid-Devon a while back.  I noticed them when Bachmann bought them out a short time ago   ......................    .....................    .....................

There is no excuse, except that I just like it    ....................   so after resisting at many previous shops and shows, along came the Calne Show    ......     and

First seen here   ..........

12749693313_ef8be3d0a3_c.jpg
DSC_0555 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

but not spoken of until Post #104 above  ................................

................    and that on top of a little bit of bother with his new Shunter  .....    has a Regulator like a massive On/ Off switch  ....   nearly lost a Fireman into the Bunker last week  ...

had to call in the Bach-fitter-mann to re engine the thing  ....   right palaver and it still behaved like a demented Kangaroo   .........   decided to go to the Zorro Training Company [ZTC] to see if they could calm it down a bit   ..................   much better now but another chat with ZTC might be of use  .......

...................    where the little blighter wouldn't run smoothly, so back to Bachmann, who replaced the entire running gear and quickly too. The replacement was better but still hesitant at low speeds.

A word with ZTC about setting their new[ish] 258 Diamond Direct Pluggin range decoder has made a very significant improvement, but isn't quite what I can call good, yet. I will be likely to give them another call, as they are very helpful.

So a good look at the little chap, still not wearing his Kadees, as the top is likely to be off again............

12926904114_3674bb00b5_c.jpg
DSC_0562 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

apologies for the slope on the Sandwich  ...   all to do with the photographer........   :scratchhead:

A mention of Kadees brings me to the Battle of Britain [bofB], which seemed to give the Wg Co a bit of a turn.

I can't remember if I mentioned it before, but the arrival of Kadees on the Sandwich, was a simple experiment, triggered by seeing them on 2 x Stands at the Solent Show. One was an American shunting game, Decal Transfer, opposite which was Ron Lines shop stand, who were selling Kadees so,I simply bought a single packet of the NEM plugin jobs to see for myself, what they might be like in the flesh, as it were.

Having fitted them, I went to the local Salisbury Models for some magnets   ...............................   which, as we all know is a very poor way of just spending the small amount we went there for     .....   :nono:

.........................   well whilst there   ......................   another one of my "Like the look of that" items, just sprang out of the magazine articles and onto a shelf in front of me   .....   Oh dear  ...  

12926861914_bdf950cd37_c.jpg
DSC_0572 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

The Wg Co couldn't believe his eyes, as he was inspecting the Signal Box.......

..................   Weeell  ....................

I then decided to try some more Kadees and went to Ron Lines shop    ........................    I should have rung up and ordered them by Post   ..................   so that was where Sir Frederick Pile appeared on the scene   ......

Well the definitely would have been down the line to Plymou  ........................   I know - just another excuse for  a Loco I really like the look of and of course the RAF BofB connection   ..............

The loose screw was in fact just that, the Body screw at the front had been left loose by it's previous owner and needed to be sorted

............     that might have been sufficient for anyone really      .......................    :nono:  :nono:     ........................    but fate had another shock in store for the Wg Co on the steps at the Signal Box   .............

[NB. He was in no state to drive his car, as you observed Jaz ]

I had a small enquiry about Sir Frederick   ....   and    ......................................   Nooooo!  .....   took it back to Ron Lines to have a chat about it     ................... 

While I was there, I couldn't help but see some Locos which had just arrived      ..............   well, to cut to the Chase   .................

12927885243_410ce21a96_c.jpg
DSC_0574 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

eerr  ...............................   b    ..............................   w   ..............................................              ..............................           ................................    ......................              ..........                 .....

• Like 2

The thing is at the end of the day.....it is just a model.....of what we choose to model.....incorporating our ideals.....and those things we like......and having more trains than you can put on the layout is unfortunately a universal problem  :angel:  Plus choosing those elements that encourage people / children to share our interests. 

Our own desire on AV to have a story line like yours, is to help set a story, with episodes, that are individual programmes in a series. I have added Harry Potter, which the kids loved so much when younger, and Heartbeat, and other TV shows. I have seen people portrait the Great Train Robbery, and other similar real life of Film / TV idea. It makes people smile. And to me I would like to do a nice layout, that pleases me and pleases some other people who also 'get it', I think it is why people seem to fall into small clans, even here on RMweb. 

I also like interacting a story line across threads, it's fun.Although admittedly we carried our stories from forum to forum.....

Give my love to mini driver....is she still reading Harry Potter?

• Like 1

Sadly happily he is rumoured to have married Ginny   ....................  which is possibly just as well for us mere Muggles  .........    :dontknow:

Like, all good Fairy Story ending's....................She married him......

This, however   .................................   is only close to a Fairy story  .................    :yes:

13037204343_4b19c5581c_c.jpg
DSC_0591 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Dear old Fa*t Revered Gentleman is still hesitant when on go slow  ......   hence not getting his Kadees back yet  ........

After he came from Bachmann with complete new chassis he went better   ....   but still had the "Hesitates" at speeds less than 12 Steps and the "Stops" at less than 7 Steps.

Another clean of his "Bits" with track cleaner  .....

A call to the nice ZTC gentleman, Graham, gave much improvement, with changes to CV2, a touch of momentum at CVs 3&4.   .....   better starting, but it still did the same at slow.

Time for another decoder, to see what goes there  ...   so in with DCCconcepts DP4SAX, and their S2SAX later.  ....   they both did the same and could be adjusted to improve normal running a lot, but really slow - still bad.

Much more cleaning and helpful advice from Richard at DCCconcepts  got even better running, with CVs 5&6, reducing the top and Mid speeds.

A thought made me look at the contacts  .....    then, one of those little light-bulb moments  .....   0-6-0s are known for wiggle  .......    I reached for the magnifying glass and turned him over again, but this time slid the axles side to side......

Bingo  ...   it was just possible to see a tiny gap between the contacts and the backs of the wheels, when the wheels were deflected to their full range.

I took the Base Plate off, to which the 6 contacts were riveted and gave each contact a slight flex outwards    ......    :toclue:

I also squeezed some clean printer paper between the wheel and contact, but couldn't see any residue removed.

Perfect it is not, but it is so much more improved. I would guess there is still some residue from arcing between the contacts and wheels [although I have cleaned them so many times and can't see any under the Magnifying glass]  :sungum:

Some running in might assist, so will try that and see. It is so much improved, he might well be getting his Kadees back and a truck or 2 to butt  .......   :locomotive:  :locomotive:

If anyone has any good ideas for cleaning materials for the wheel backs, that would be helpful.

• Like 3

It's got it's sides up top again  ...........   

A double channel Aluminium U shaped runner for the base of the Backscene - the Scene will sit in the furthest channel from the Base-board and give a 1mm space away from the back wall, preventing shadows on the Back-scene and giving the impression of distance...........    hopefully  .....

13110154115_52dafa3e16_c.jpg
DSC_0593 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Glue applied   ...................................     those tomatoes were a real bargain, on offer  ....    well done SWMBO  .....   :whistle:

13110401774_9c1be351ac_c.jpg
DSC_0595 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

...............................    hope it dries before she gets in later tonight  ...............

Contents of Kitchen Cabinets Magnetic Catches   ........................    3 x Magnets and 6 Plates   .....   perfect  ...........   :imsohappy:

13110279385_c41a44b9ff_c.jpg
DSC_0596 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Magnet on 3mm ply, attached to the back of the wall, with plates to match - one each side of the double sided Back-scene  .......   tomorrow, hopefully.

• Like 1

Now the glue on the double channelling has dried  .........    Ply Spacers placed in position, on the back of the wall, with Magnet top of that   .............

13147309435_5fed5ff371_c.jpg
DSC_0597 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Placed 10mm from the top and glued  .....

13147546284_7dc800aea6_c.jpg
DSC_0601 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Metal plate put on top of the Magnet, with a layer of glue on top   .........

13147535314_680afce6a1_c.jpg
DSC_0602 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Back-scene centred and then placed in the outer slot, then the face is lowered onto the glue on the metal plate  ...........  support of the top edge of the Back-scene but slightly low to allow downward leverage onto the glued spacers ...

13147509754_975ed08528_c.jpg
DSC_0608 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

a close up of the magnet and the space away from the Back-scene  ...  as the glue is left overnight to set.

13147363813_a1fe692c4b_c.jpg
DSC_0604 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ  .............  zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz  ............ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ  ......    ZZZZZZZZZZZZ  ......   zzzzzzzzzzzzz  ..........   zzzzzzzzzzz . zzzzzzzzzz  ...........   Ehh, wot .....

.....    quick look at the 3 plates glued to one side of the Back-scene  ........  the other side gets done today  

13147560554_6c3f5df4f8_c.jpg
DSC_0600 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

..................   a check to see if there are no shadows on the Back-scene, from the wall  ..  so far so good  ...........

13147572394_042ae94114_c.jpg
DSC_0599 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

other side done this morning and waiting 12 hrs for the glue to set properly  ......    :senile:

• Like 1

Just to check the "Janus factor"  ...........

13150717545_abd4f20a83_c.jpg
DSC_0612 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

and from the other direction...

13150747935_bf6c232745_c.jpg
DSC_0610 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

I quite like the odd shadow from the wall tops too, which is quite natural anyway but it need care to avoid the higher chimney and roofs shadows.

[Maybe locate the Signal Box on this side of the tracks  ...........    :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:  :nono:

• Like 2

I found an item on the Sandwich, after doing the Back-scene. It was small and well formed in thin metal, with 2 shiny copper colour blobs, one at each end.

It is the bit on the card and nothing to do with the truck, which is there to give an indication of size....

13163220954_41e2e18432_c.jpg
DSC_0613 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Given the Locos I have, I rather think it belongs to Sir Frederick, posing here  ....

12927728285_b550670cfd_c.jpg
DSC_0581 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

I have looked and compared with photographs here [i am not sure about getting permission from them, so used the link.]

http://locoyard.com/2012/10/19/Hornby-rebuilt-west-country-battle-of-britain-class-review/

Now comes the real reason for posting  .....

However, ....  whilst looking for where the above item may have resided  .....   it became very quickly clear that poor Sir Frederick had met with a member of the Clumsy Club   ..   :O  :O

[NB. My fault for not looking carefully enough when doing the "Buyer Beware" bit, as it was second hand.]

The pictures on the link show most of the details clearly enough for an attempt at replacing some of the broken/missing ladders and relocating the Whistle    .........     but   .........

the rear right hand Cab Window Frame has also suffered a break. I mention it to the chap I bought it from and have a thin piece of Brass to see if I can lay a bit inside the Cab to reinforce the Frame.

When looking at the reference photographs for inside the Cab details, it was difficult to see all the Cab interior    ...............   :O   ......   Sir Fred, apparently had doors and a check of my version confirms Witness marks where they got broken from, so a bit more Brass and paint looks like the order of the day  ....    :scratchhead:

Question  ..  does anyone know of a reference photograph showing the inside of the right-hand side of the cab? 

[i guess that is a bit of a big ask??]

• Like 1

I am a little nearer with what may be a solution here.

rtmodels do various metal parts for OO and have Tender Steps, front Loco Steps, rear Tender Ladders and replacement Cab Turn-ins/Doors in metal. I have ordered some of each to see what may appear.  :scratchhead:

I also have a better photo of the Cab damage and it looks to me as though there should be a Seat on the side, which has gone along with the rest of the plastic lining.

13333812073_6c21f9b51d_c.jpg
Sir F P Cab by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

The split in the Rear Window frame, on the right is better seen here too.

Thanks for looking.

• 2 weeks later...

To honour the fun we have with J when I painted the clowns on AV  I dedicated them to 8 of our friends.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72163-arboretum-valley-wired-for-hounds/page-171&do=findComment&comment=1395218

So .....Ladies and Gentleman......I introduce to the fun of the Big Top.......todays parade is led by the clowns, and our first Clown today is......

The talented.....the high flying and ever humorous......our own...give a big hand..... to The Hilarious Mr J

med_gallery_17883_3112_73481.jpg

med_gallery_17883_3112_230145.jpg

med_gallery_17883_3112_552603.jpg

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 2

A new arrival at the Yard  ...............  From the Alexandra Palace Show  .....

13719852614_2006c2303d_c.jpg

It was one of those on the Bachmann stand which were items that were returned to the Firm and this one had been Sound Fitted, but alas had ended in tears.  The Sound Decoder had been removed and it then sold for a very reasonsble price  .....   :sungum:

Clearly it seemed natural to restore Sound as well    ........   so a quick call on Legomanbiffo at His stand resulted in a Unit being despatched  ....   :sungum:  :locomotive:

A momentary hitch was the size of the Speaker,

13696793453_4b1a07d6e0_c.jpg

but equally quickly Legomanbiffo had a new one attached to the Decoder and despatched ...  all for the cost of Postage.   ...  :locomotive:

Then DISASTER .....   Numpty here went and blew the Decoder and I can only assume it went either upside-down or maybe sideways by 1 set of pins   ............    a very humble phone call to Legomanbiffo, who was very understanding and didn't even laugh out loud  ...................   and was even sympathetic too  .....

He offered to have a look and see what he could do, for what seemed to be a remarkably small sum [not disclosed here, as it might prejudice his future negotiations.]

Only a couple of days later a parcel appeared which contained a brand new chip  ....... 

13696773513_bcbd0b701d_c.jpg

My thanks to Legomanbiffo  ....    I am very grateful indeed   ,,,,,,,,  :sungum:  :locomotive:

[usual disclaimer too]

Cool legobiffoman...is always nice at the shows...great to see that is backed up with great service too.

:O .............We have pic's, now............ :sungum:

Now flickr is back in service. I believe J owes me a picture or two......so the 'family' can go on the layout.

I get a pm....he'll get a dog....and a daughter.

Edited by Jaz

The other minor detail, to get the Speaker Box as large as possible was to remove the Fan in the roof as the Speaker fits right under it

The fan was removed anyway, which left the Cylindrical Screw mounts, which were also removed - these had been similar to the Body Screw Mounts at the left ......

13696954223_e7f40dd04c_c.jpg

The sounds are quite loud, and as an added bonus the body acts like a violin soundbox and increases the volume, with a less harsh sound too  ....    :locomotive:

I felt that it was all a bit "Blue" and did a bit of looking around for a name    ................    and then sent off for these  ...

13697217614_db0909dfce_c.jpg

I found the Bit of Brass strip rather useful to get both sides the same height and level   ..........

.......  it fitted the height very well and a pencil line guide was drawn, to help place the glued Nameplate

The picture shows the Brass strip placed back again, next to the Nameplate to get the final alignment right.

13696936963_015e67dd17_c.jpg

The result was 2 x Nameplates, which relate in time to when the 44s were, apparently, mainly on Px Duties [good excuse... :sungum:  ]

Apparently the Plates were removed when they went onto mainly Freight use.

13697240554_8b20fd61a3_c.jpg

:senile:

• Like 2

While the Kal is away  .....
The dog is at play  ...

13622147293_eb28b8f9ef_z.jpg

The ears may be long  ....
and he does sometimes Pong  ....
but this may just give you............

the shape of a Cocker's .....  ......  'Ead

13622486904_a3929b0885_c.jpg

As for .........    Blondie  ....      :angel:

She likes her hair long  ...
but Dad says its wrong
to have her hair loose
'cause it could catch a louse
He makes up a Plait
and she puts up with that....
.............  at times  ..  :  :nono:

She takes after her Dad
a bit of a Lad [ette]
you might like a clue
to fit her size in the Zoo

When skating she went
her smile is so nice
she leapt off the ice
before it all melted to goo

By one totally unbiased Dad  ..................... :no:

As for .........    Blondie  ....       :angel:

She likes her hair long  ...

but Dad says its wrong

to have her hair loose

'cause it could catch a louse

He makes up a Plait

and she puts up with that....

.............  at times  ..  :   :nono:

She takes after her Dad

a bit of a Lad [ette]

you might like a clue

to fit her size in the Zoo

When skating she went

her smile is so nice

she leapt off the ice

before it all melted to goo

By one totally unbiased Dad  ..........

:O  :O  :O ........................You given up your day job,then J. ?

Somewhat unlikely  ......................................    :no:

........................You given up your day job,then J. ?

...................................................    as she had a friend for a "Sleep-over" [not an accurate description in anyone's language!  :O ] last night  .............    

they even had Pancakes with Blueberries for breakfast  .......    :sungum:

The  NEM pocket on the, recently acquired Class 44, was low and the Trip Pin caught on Points  .........   strange as Bachmann have a reputation for making some too high   ....    :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:

13697078074_245d679e28_c.jpg
DSC_0619 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

a small piece of plastic 0.6mm card was inserted at the bottom of the pocket .......

13697061584_b6312c3e86_c.jpg

DSC_0621 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

There is no longer enough space for the NEM Kadee yoke to go in the pocket, so the top of the Kadee yoke was rubbed down by about 0.5mm  ....    you can see the black dust on the Perma-grit abrasive tool

the Kadee isn't fully to the correct height still but is only a very small fraction of a mm low now  ...   :senile:

13696822455_ac60d6a479_c.jpg
DSC_0629 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

At least it couples properly now. although It may need a little extra bend to the Trip Pin, but I will wait to see which Magnets will end up on the Sandwich,

Edit = + Trip Pin

Edited by jcredfer
  • Like 3

Hi J

As i was just saying on AV, it is easy to miss single posts in notifications when some threads flood it, that is why i suggested a tag, so we can have one place took look for all friends layouts, if they wish to be found of course

• Like 1

Not sure this shouldn't be on the Clumsy Thread   .......................    :scratchhead:

Went for a walk today, around Old Sarum Castle, to get some better idea what makes up an old ruin piece of heritage like that.  It has some remarkable steep sided defensive rings around the previously populated area and Castle Keep.  I makes it quite a possibility to have an invented one as a plan an idea on a portable run-around, as a bit of a distraction from the rubbish modelling feature.  ....................................

Got the Dog [firmly on a Lead- he isn't good at concentration yet] , got MD, check had poo bags, jumped in the car and away to the Castle  ........    Wow those slopes really are as steep as they look  .....   must have made the place extremely difficult to attack in anyone's terms  ....    :locomotive:

..........................    forgot the camera   ............     :no:  :nono:                                          ........................................................................................................   never mind, a good excuse for a return tomorrow  ...    :sungum:

MD = Mini Driver = daughter; for newbies to the thread.