Light Switches? ... Turning the Tables...

jcredfer

Before I go for a new layout idea, I thought it might be an idea to ask about it first    .............     after all everyone on here knows much more than I do, so it did seem logical.

Rule Number 1 - SWMBO doesn't really like trains - despite her Dad having made a OO garden layout which was the talk of many towns around.

Rule Number 2 - See Rule Number One.

Rule Number 3 - It has to be able to be packed away. - [and I am not wanting to put it in the Shed in Winter, so indoors if at all possible.]

Rule Number 4 - It has to be "playable" by Mini Driver [MD from this point]

Rule Number 5 - Size is limited as it must cause little disruption when out and the little available space for storage.

Right - well that seems to have got most of the Rules set out.  ....   :mail:   [i've always wanted an excuse for that Icon  .... ]    ...................    nothing new there then  .........

I did start on 2 x light interior doors and they were not really too heavy to carry but the size combined with that weight made then rather unwieldy. I considered modifying them, but the amount of work involved - well - life is just too short.

So  ...   back to the drawing board   .............   

I thought a "Roundy" might be more fun for Rule Number 4 and changeable scenery in places.

I found some indoor space behind a bedroom door - out of the way and indoors - ok Rule Number 5.

I measured the space and it measures 14" x just over 2' 6" - a maybe for Rule Number 3 - but tighter than a student on a Saturday pub crawl.

So  ...   back to the drawing board  ............

The 14" width is not much more than people have when they do a shelf, but there isn't a room that satisfies that criteria    ................    So  ...   why not have a 13" shelf round a space   .......     :scratchhead:

15309989129_4fa02fcbb4_c.jpgHogwart's Boards by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

So  ...   4' x 6' 2"  ....   will it have enough space for rails    ..............

I added a shorter rectangle 13" wide and made the triangle smaller    .............    then slapped some rails on and a station or so   ......

I also built some trains to check if they would fit   .....

15473763286_9510781d37_c.jpgHogwarts 4ft x 6'2ft by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

I did a similar thing with more sidings   ...........   on that extra bit of board   .........  

The platforms and buildings are really simply to see if they might fit.  The centre hole is just about big enough for me and definitely ok for MD   .....

15496546272_ba8b946e7a_c.jpgHogwarts 4ft x 6'2ft smaller pit by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Any comments would be appreciated as to whether the whole idea is a starter / none starter and any suggestions for improvement  ..........    

Thank you for reading. .....     :sungum:

PS. Anyone want 2 x 6' 8" by 2' 6" strong, painted layout boards  ........    :angel:

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

That looks good J., no facing points and gentile lead-ins to the curves. Personally I don't worry too much about facing points on models and there are plenty of instances where they do exist and even then you can model the facing point locks!!

How about adding a tunnel over the left end curves which will give more space for that castle in the trees.

Good luck with this it looks like a fun project. Will it be housed in a small room or shed?

Regards Shaun.

Thank you Shaun,

That is a great idea, more space and a scene divider in one fell swoop.  ...   :sungum:

I intend to have a raised border to the outside edge of the boards [about 40 mm 2 1/2" to the educated, who weren't still followers of Napoleon]    .........   mainly to stop the trains developing into early attempts at passenger and freight aeroplanes.  A hill will break that up too.  .....    :sungum: :sungum:

.....................................................................    hmmmm   ....................   all so positive   ...   I will have to visit the Clumsy Thread to reset my forward thinking       ............    :jester:   .................   :nono: 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

One other thing worth looking at would be to reverse the points at the top enabling one train to wait at right on the curves while another can run from the sidings to the station complex.

This would also create a passing loop!

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 3

Have you looked at the APA boxes? People buy them from LIDL or ALDI you only really get a shunting yard / shunting puzzle......but for packing away and protecting they have good points...and you could put a small yard in an APA. I can pop some link in if you are interested.

• Like 3

Have you looked at the APA boxes? People buy them from LIDL or ALDI you only really get a shunting yard / shunting puzzle......but for packing away and protecting they have good points...and you could put a small yard in an APA. I can pop some link in if you are interested.

Like the idea of the APA boxes. If you want something larger, could you possibly connect 2 or 3 together? (or more)

Duncan

• Like 2

APA boxes....................... :drag: 

emt_911

Posted Yesterday, 22:54

Jaz, on 10 Oct 2014 - 22:30, said:snapback.png

Like the idea of the APA boxes. If you want something larger, could you possibly connect 2 or 3 together? (or more)

Duncan

Jaz

Posted Yesterday, 22:30

I thought I knew what you meant by reversing the points Shaun, but now I'm not quite so sure which ones should be reversed.  ...........     :scratchhead:

Posted Yesterday, 21:04
One other thing worth looking at would be to reverse the points at the top enabling one train to wait at right on the curves while another can run from the sidings to the station complex.
This would also create a passing loop![/twitter]

Are these the ones  .....   moved from where the train is waiting on the curve to the other end  .....

15317368687_18b7a0ae25_c.jpg
Hogwarts 4ft x 6'2ft points 1 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

or did you mean the ones inside the station between the // lines right at the top.  ......    :scratchhead:

The hill is an even better idea than I thought too - the right hand side can camouflage the break between the base boards. ...    :senile:

Edited by jcredfer
  • Like 1

Posted Today, 06:06

APA boxes.......................

Those APA boxes look interesting, dt's link to the web pages showing their uses is very interesting.  It's amazing how many clever ideas there are there.  .....    :locomotive:  :locomotive:

I showed a plan of the original idea for how it might be possible for 13" wide Base Boards to fit around - I was not so limited to length - but - Rule Number 2 keeps raising it's head  ...........    :O  :O   ..  here

the plan gives me 4 x identical boards 48" x 13" and a triangle fill, all of which could store upright and take up about 2' 6" width  .....

................   I have since added another small 13" x 22" board, infill and reduced the size of the triangle

The APA boxes are quite tall and would eat up all my space very quickly    .........    behind the door where I am going to try to hide them from SWMBO store them  ....    :scared:

Rule number 3 suggests a very light set of Boards so putting them away is relatively easy  ......    :scratchhead:

The idea was to make the Boards from Sandwiches  ..........................    until I came across these boards using another lightweight a/c based structure  ...... from Tim Horn

A brief bit of costing showed that if I used good Foam for the Sandwiches, the cost is not dissimilar to the Lightweight Boards Tim makes     ............    + plus +   ........

.......................   all the cutting is already done by him   .....................   putting pride in a box for a while, it didn't take long to be emailing him with Board designs  ....     :angel:

As things stand, I am awaiting the results of his efforts on some 3mm and 6mm Plywood   .....     :dontknow:   .........  

I have asked for some Backboard sheets to be cut to fit the outside edges all round and to a height of 40mm above the Base Boards, as I wouldn't like the trains to attempt to imitate passenger and freight plane's behaviour   ........    :O  :O

Edited by jcredfer
  • Like 2

Hi Shaun,

I wasn't sure how quite how many sets of points you were referring to  ..........    I moved the one set on the Right, coming of the Roundy to enter the top station  ...   and that is posted 2 Posts up from this   .....

This would also create a passing loop!

Then looking again at what you said - and the way round the trains would be in the lower Station - I wondered if this might be what you were referring to  ...

15319139138_617db9698f_c.jpg
Hogwarts 4ft x 6'2ft points 2 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

With the top Cross-over points reversed as well as the Station entry points        .....     am I right in thinking the second way would lead to less wrong-way working  .....    :scratchhead:

• RMweb Premium

I thought I knew what you meant by reversing the points Shaun, but now I'm not quite so sure which ones should be reversed.  ...........     :scratchhead:

Are these the ones  .....   moved from where the train is waiting on the curve to the other end  .....

Yes that's the ones.

The hill is an even better idea than I thought too - the right hand side can camouflage the break between the base boards. ...    :senile:

I was just about to say that the tunnel could be made as a lift off section but................that might prove difficult inside APA boxes!

Have you ever checked out my Dunster thread,   (edit : to say post 35 shows this best)    that layout employs Iain Rices idea of lift off scenic sections which make life a lot easier when modeling the countryside and the base board joints are hard to find. If you're clever about it all the wiring can be done above board too. 

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 3

Good, I was hoping they were the ones   ..........      :sungum:

Yes that's the ones.

I was just about to say that the tunnel could be made as a lift off section but................that might prove difficult inside APA boxes!

Have you ever checked out my Dunster thread,   (edit : to say post 35 shows this best)    that layout employs Iain Rices idea of lift off scenic sections which make life a lot easier when modeling the countryside and the base board joints are hard to find. If you're clever about it all the wiring can be done above board too. 

The APA boxes are a good idea, but with space being tight, as it is - I had initially looked at another set of Sandwiches  .....   and then came across what might be a lazy convenient way  ..   here

I thought a lift of tunnel would be a good way to go  ...   and I do like the idea of top of the Board wiring     ...................      :yes:  :yes:

Just going to look at Dunster  .......   :imsohappy:  

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Here J.

If you move the cross over to the curve, this permits trains to cross over when departing from either the station or yard onto the correct running line. Or drive a train directly from one to the other.

post-8964-0-73199400-1413054336.jpg

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 2

Thank you Shaun  .........

Here J.

If you move the cross over to the curve, this permits trains to cross over when departing from either the station or yard onto the correct running line. Or drive a train directly from one to the other.

attachicon.gif15319139138_617db9698f_c1.jpg

I will have a look to see if the curved points will fit in   .....   I have a feeling that the Peco ones are too large a diameter and the Hornby ones  ...  eer ... have not always been positively commented upon  ....   :scratchhead:

I will have a proper look in the morning   ...   we have a lass on a sleepover with ours tonight and SWMBO might appreciate a supportive visit to the Lounge   .....    :triniti:

Thank you for your time  ...   and the hint to see your fantastic Dunster layout  ....    :sungum:  :sungum:

• Like 1

No real need   ..............      .....................     :no:   :nono:

Am loving this idea....you will need to look out for a plastic spider....... :O

Just open the door and there are dozens of large False Widows just waiting to come on in     ..............

One bit me 18 months ago - and the flesh under the skin is still dead   .......    and that was a very small one   ......     :O   :O

One of the earlier designs   .....................

15327251987_53920c6d3c_c.jpg
Hogwart's OO double Runaround 6' x 4' by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Plenty here  ........   also did have Owls and other stuff    ..............................    but it got in the way of the trains    .......   :locomotive:  .......    :jester:

Planning on another idea too   .....    but I'm saving that one until later   .......    :angel:

I've been trying    ......................................................................    SWMBO says  ...................................................   "Very trying !"  .....................     :jester:     .................   to see how the Curved Points fit  ......

........................    and I have to admit that I like the idea    ....

Here J.

I managed to get the curved points in, with a bit of wriggle here and there    ....................    but I am having a bit of trouble sourcing the right sort of Fish-Plates, as you can see   ........

15327306747_eec17f7c82_c.jpg
Hogwarts 4ft x 6'2ft curved points 1 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

I can get a good fit with the points connected to the top direct - and the outer curve at the bottom   ...................

...............  but I had to use Flexi on the inner curve - currently it is lying in the inner hole on the picture   .....   unfortunately it is only 16.7" radius and is 59o   .....   I am now trying to keep the inner curve as Setrack 17.24"  stuff and use the Flexi on the larger 19.88" radius outer curve   .......     :senile:   .......   it shouldn't be too difficult with a short slice of 17.24"    .......   :sungum:

Has anybody got any opinions on Peco Setrack Curved Points ......   

:jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester: 

MD must be pleased.....(am assuming not too mini any more LOL) .....and MD probably about right ....although I am sure she still thinks your   :superman:

.................................................    more like   .........    :crazy:  .....   :sarcastichand:

I managed to get the points joined at the top and a simulated piece of 17.22" radius cut to size and fitted   ......    easy peasy   .......    :sungum:   .....    that's it, on the inner loop in the tunnel  ....   

Well  .........    it didn't really like that very much   ..........     :scratchhead:   so I rotated the points leading into the top station, very slightly   ...........    and it liked that much more   .......

Here J.

I use a system to get the best curve from Flexi-track [FT]       ..............   first I make a piece of FT with the same radius as the closest Settrack   .....   and then adjust the length [Angle] until nearly fits   .....

.......................   that's it - far left - on the outer track and I can see how much away from a fit it is   ....   in this case just inside the tunnel   .......  not too much of a gap   ....   

15328041160_cafc97cd4c_c.jpg
Hogwarts 4ft x 6'2ft curved points 2 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Next I just adjust the radius until the curvature is just right  .........  I keep the FT short on length - so the curvature is clear to see  .....

..................... when it is short - that's easy to see because of the 1/2 Arrow mark on the ends of the track bits   .....

..................   as can be seen, all that remains is to adjust the length of the curve - to fit     ...............     :sungum:    ........................           ................   except - it didn't   .........    :scratchhead:

It soon became clear that the FT was having to cope with rather different angles at the ends of the Setrack, it was to join to  ........    :nono:

15511638701_e8fa0f4aba_c.jpg
Hogwarts 4ft x 6'2ft curved points 3 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

the solution was to make the gap between the ends of the Setrack larger, so a small length, of Setrack, was taken off from next to the points    ............  near the Signal Box   

.................   now the end-angle discrepancy was smaller and fell within design tolerances for track joints    ...

............   and the FT curve extended to fit the longer space    ...................    :sungum:

15515068065_3e53ba7b35_c.jpg
Hogwarts 4ft x 6'2ft curved Points 4 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Now I just have to find out if the Setrack points are good to go   ....  I hope so, as this looks far more practical   .....

• Like 3