Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Mike Heaven

Mike

It is with great sadness that I have to tell you all that Michael Heaven passed away yesterday afternoon. Michael was the inspiration behind a number of my favourite layouts including Holiday Haunts and Dainton Bank.

With his layouts and his exacting standards Michael made an outstanding contribution to both model and miniature railways and his layouts ranging from 0 gauge to gauge 3 were excellent and attracted much praise on the exhibition circuit.

Michael will be much missed and my thoughts are with his family at this sad time.

• RMweb Gold

My condolences too, his contribution to showing what is possible in larger scale show layouts is a particular achievement that I'll remember him for. I wonder if his group of friends will continue to show his ongoing project.

I first met Mike when I was a young junior member of the long disbanded, Stourbridge Cricket Club Model Railway Society, to give it its full name!.

During his time at Stourbridge, he gained the name “Polyfiller” this referred to the immense amounts of the stuff that he spread over the landscape, on the clubs large O gauge layout “Stourvale”.

I have spoken to him periodically, when I have seen him out at shows over the years, so it his sad the hear of his demise.

RIP Polyfiller Mick.

Gary

I first met Mike when I was a young junior member of the long disbanded, Stourbridge Cricket Club Model Railway Society, to give it its full name!.

During his time at Stourbridge, he gained the name “Polyfiller” this referred to the immense amounts of the stuff that he spread over the landscape, on the clubs large O gauge layout “Stourvale”.

I have spoken to him periodically, when I have seen him out at shows over the years, so it his sad the hear of his demise.

RIP Polyfiller Mick.

Gary

Yes I too was a member of Stourbridge Model Railway society back in the late 70's when Mike Heaven was still modelling 00 gauge finescale, which in the 70's was not that easy to do.

Mike always set a high standard in his modelling and of those (including Garry and myself) who worked on his club projects.

Yes the nickname "Pollyfilla" will always be remembered but for the right reasons.

My condolences to his friends and family.

Frank

• 2 weeks later...

Those photographs that Tony has submitted are amazing.  Likewise Cliff's fine video work; both a fine testimony and tribute to Mike.  I never knew him but what a legacy in model form he's left.  In retrospect I say 'Thank you so much, Mike, for so much inspiration left to inspire us all onward and upward'.

Archived