The Caledonian Express coach destination boards

Nig H

• RMweb Premium

Hello,

I am not sure if this is strictly relevant to this forum, but I hope no-one objects.

I have built the coaches needed for the Caledonian Express and I want to attach coach destination
boards. I have looked at  a video (West Coast Mainline vol 1) which shows the train and I have a
couple of questions which maybe someone can answer.

1. The porthole BFK appears to have only one of the two boards. Would it have been the London Glagow
narrative, or The Caledonian?

2. All the other coaches (except the RK) have two boards. Which board was on the left and which on
the right?

I'll be grateful if anyone can help.

Nigel

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hello,

After three weeks I see you have no replies!  Unfortunately, I cannot provide an answer, at least, definitively, but coach boards surely had a varied application and I really doubt, unless you are modelling the train on a specific day of service, that you will actually get an answer to your question.

To stimulate the discussion though, a model of The Caledonian c 1960 is on my hit list so to speak, and I wonder where you actually obtained the formation?  From many photos I have studied it comprised a mix of LMS and BR Mk1 of course, but the mix certainly varied a lot.  I model in P4 (OO scale).

John

Hello John,

Thanks for the reply. I have now put the destination boards on the coaches based on what I saw on the video and information from Allan of Sankey Scenics, who sold me the set of boards. Concerning the actual formation, I used information from 'London Midland Passenger Train Formations 1923 - 1983', by Clive Carter, and a pamphlet on the Caledonian Express produced by Robert Carrol on the BRCoachingStock  group at Yahoo. For the era I wanted, 1959, I choose a formation of BSK/SO/SO/SO/RK/FO/FK/BFK. The RK and BFK are LMS vehicles, the later a 'porthole type'. All the photos I've seen are consistent with this formation. My coaches have been produced to 2 millimetre finescale.

Hope this helps, but please ask if you have more questions.

Nig H

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Nigel,

I simply have to get that book by Clive Carter!!  I have seen photos to support the extensive use of LMS vehicles too, as well as Mark 1s.  The use of the LMS/Mk 1 mix adds a bit of diversity.  As I said, I model in 4mm P4.  Which locomotive are you modelling?

Best wishes.

Hello John,

I've modelled City of London 46245 for the Caledonian. I also built a model of Coronation (46220) from the test etches I produced for the loco, and City of Birmingham (46235) is awaiting painting and lining by Ian Rathbone. Here is 46245.

post-12813-0-34104200-1379319241_thumb.jpg

Nig H

• 5 months later...

A belated response to this topic which I had not seen before.

The formation of the Caledonian changed only once during its short life.

Initially there were 2 ex LMS vehicles in the formation, the 50' kitchen car and the corridor brake 1st. This latter was only there because BR had not yet built any Mk 1 BFKs. When they had (in about 1959?) the Mk 1 BFK replaced the Period 3 one. I'm guessing that they didn't bother with the Mk 1 kitchen car because, being an 8 car train only there wasn't the capacity requirement for a larger kitchen car.

Terry D

A belated response to this topic which I had not seen before.

The formation of the Caledonian changed only once during its short life.

Initially there were 2 ex LMS vehicles in the formation, the 50' kitchen car and the corridor brake 1st. This latter was only there because BR had not yet built any Mk 1 BFKs. When they had (in about 1959?) the Mk 1 BFK replaced the Period 3 one. I'm guessing that they didn't bother with the Mk 1 kitchen car because, being an 8 car train only there wasn't the capacity requirement for a larger kitchen car.

Terry D

The formation changed more than once.

Here are some notes I put together a few years ago:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32711444/Articles/Caledonian_Notes_18-6-11.pdf

The stock visible in this photo has both roofboards on the carriages but by this time the BFK was a Mark I:

12257291164_bd2aef137a.jpg

46243_Caledonian_FactoryLane_Preston_7-7-62 by robertcwp, on Flickr

• 1 month later...

Thanks for that Robert. One sure fire way of finding out the truth is to stick your neck out and give your own version of it. Then someone who knows better comes along and tells you what it really is!

Congratulations, Nigel, on a superb model of 46245. It just shows how good stock in 2mm finescale can look.

Terry D

• 2 years later...

For anyone interested in Coach Destination Boards...

I've been researching this topic for some time; mostly on BR Western Region named trains. 

From what I've been able to establish, these boards were placed on the sides of carriages to direct passengers to the correct coaches on trains that would split, with different sections going to different final destinations. This is similar to the paper notices stuck in coach windows in the '70s.

As the formation of the rake would originate from various stations, it appears that the Coach Destination Board would belong to the depot of origin. Consequently, you might find different styles of board being used on the same train, depending upon what was available at the different depots. I've also seen a variation in whether the boards were applied to each coach or every second coach.

Good-luck,

Rick

Archived