Nelson's Workbench: Rolling stock from Ulster

Hello Everyone,

Just settling in after a great exhibition, it was a brilliant show and I think everyone really did enjoy themselves. A video of the show is still being edited and will hopefully be up sometime this week, my spoil wagons joined others on bleach green and together they recreated a classic 20 rake spoil train from the late 60s double headed by 2 Jeeps, what a sight it was, stay tuned for the vid of this. The exhibition also provided me the chance to give the milk van that I made to my friend and he was very happy with it, here it is on his layout (his pics)

post-19436-0-51033300-1415726431_thumb.jpg

post-19436-0-33983300-1415726441_thumb.jpg

I have a number of examinations in the upcoming weeks so I'm not going to start any new projects until mid December, so until then I shall be finishing off current projects such as the seaplane and tank, just small military models, exams come first! But what is does give me the chance to do is go through everything I have and start ordering stuff ready for the new year, I've already ordered a lining pen :) and about to order stuff to help me with my wagon building.

Thanks

Nelson

• Like 12

Nelson,

The Milk van looks superb, really looking forward to seeing the completed wagon

Regards the planks in the wagon they look about 4x1mm which would equate out at tweleve inch wide planks 3 inch thick which is not an unreasonable size for heavy timber, length of circra 20foot. I suspect coffee stiring sticks from well known outlets?

If its the width that worries you then they will trim down with a sharp knife blade, but remember in those days heavy timbers were common for buildings, wagon planking was a good few inches high by a couple deep so its not out of place

David

There were things called 'deals' as well; semi-finished big chunks of timber which would be sold on to merchants or industry for further processing. The finish on these would vary from a trunk that had been 'squared-off', but retained rounded corners, to almost-finished timber. This would be the state in which wood would be delivered to carriage and wagon works, for example.

May I echo the comments about the Milk Van? It's a cracking piece of work.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

Quite amazed at how long I've been going for without modelling mainly because of school and exams but hey that's life :) this 1/72nd scale elefant tank is my first model I've done since the last update and I wanted to try out a couple of things on it, such as the winter camo, which was my first attempt at doing and I think it's turned out fairly well, what do you guys think? Now that this is done I have another U2 to do and more spoil wagons so that should keep me busy over Christmas.

post-19436-0-28187300-1418155771.jpg

post-19436-0-81449400-1418155778.jpg

post-19436-0-30557700-1418155786.jpg

That's all for now folks,

Thanks

Nelson

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone.

Well it's been weeks since I've done any modelling, Christmas came and went, new year came and went and now I'm back to school :( so yeah, oh and did I mention exams are coming up lol, so I've been revising and just overall very busy so literally no modelling has been done except this wee thing that took ages to do, but it's now done and I thought Id show you guys. I won't be doing anything until the exams are done and I have a few railway projects planned for then, so until then.

post-19436-0-12160000-1420396639.jpg

post-19436-0-71128000-1420396798.jpg

post-19436-0-38099800-1420396805.jpg

Happy new year.

Nelson

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Gentlemen,

Mock exams are over and I have about a month of freedom now until the next exams are up, but for the past few slow months I've been working on this, it's a 2P conversion into a NCC U2 class, one of the early ones with extended cab roof, and she is in UTA experimental olive Green livery, I've used railmatch paints and lining transfers for the lining, even tho I did buy a lining pen it wasn't very successful so I'll need more practise with it, but until then it's transfers for now. Only 1 U2 class was painted in this livery and it was very short lived, the other 2 locos that received experimental green were a mogul and jeep, all 3 locos done in differnt shades of green. The loco is now ready to go back to it's original owner.

Sorry for the poor quality of pics, dunno what's up with the camera.

post-19436-0-60994000-1422101046.jpg

post-19436-0-54347300-1422101057.jpg

post-19436-0-60920300-1422101067.jpg

post-19436-0-14486800-1422101074.jpg

post-19436-0-99284700-1422101084.jpg

Many thanks

Nelson

• Like 17

• 2 weeks later...

Hello fellow modellers,

Just a real short update, I think this is my first parkside dundas kit and I'm already lovin them haha, this one went together superb and having the bearings/wheels included makes life alot easier :)

post-19436-0-20769200-1423085177_thumb.jpg

post-19436-0-64213100-1423085183_thumb.jpg

Thanks

Nelson

Disclaimer: yes the colour is wrong and yes the lettering is incorrect but rule 1 :)

• Like 7

Thank you Jrg1 and Spitfire,

Cor, I don't know where to start, I'll attempt to describe my weathering techniques but they really do vary widely.

For the above wagon, I painted it in the base colours which in this case were red, light brown and black I then added a dirty brown wash to the body, and when dry took that wash off, after that I apply a dirty black wash which darkens the red and brown creating a grimy feel in the corners of the strapping, once I'm happy with the colour that the body is, I then move onto the chassis and to do this I apply again a dirty black wash to the black and when that is drying add rust weathering powders, and a touch of rust coloured paint in some places, then once that is dry I add a dry brushing of track dirt brown and on top of that some smoke weathering powders to pull it all together and dull it all down, I also add the tack dirt colour to the lower areas of the body and then dry brush a black enamel paint and powders to simulate coal dust etc, once I'm happy with the outside I move onto the inside of the wagon and I've done something different this time, instead of applying a wash I've just applied black weathering powders to a nearly dry base coat and I personally think this gives a far better textured result, when that is done I then use a fine brush and pick out all the straps on the inside and out with some rust paint. I also add the replacement planks at this stage to give a more realistic look and I do this by using a light wood colour and with some powders to stimulate light dirt on them. Now we are nearly finished, the only thing to do is add rust powders to the buffers followed by satin black paint on the axle boxes and buffer centres.

I really hope the above makes sense as I'm pretty rubbish when it comes to describing things, if you really want I can make a YouTube video putting everything above into effect.

Thanks

Nelson

Edit: I forgot to mention that I paint the lettering after the base coat of red dries

Edited by Nelson Jackson
  • Like 5