Nelson's Workbench: Rolling stock from Ulster

HELLO AND WELCOME TO MY WORKBENCH

CONTENTS:

(Click on the blue text to visit the relevant item)

1) NER Birdcage Brake Van (this page)

2) GNRI Brake Van Repair

3.) Annie And Clarabel Coaches

4) Dapol 5 Plank Wagon Repaint

5) LMS NCC 12 Ton Van (not complete)

6) Cambrian hurst Nelson private owner wagon

7) LMS Cambrian 5 Plank Kit

8.) GNRI resin cattle wagon kit

9) LNER Coal Wagon

10) LNER Cambrian 6 Plank Wagon

11) LMS NCC 10 Ton Van

12) LMS NCC Open Wagon

13) Display Plank

14) UTA "Larne Steeler" Carriage

15) Italeri Panzer III

16) 6 GNRI Resin Kits

17) LNER 13ton 8 plank

18) BR 21ton hopper wagon

19) LMS NCC U2 Locomotive

20) LMS NCC coal wagon

You may also find the odd video here and there, thanks for looking

I thought some people would like to see my efforts at scratch building a birdcage brake van.

I am no Expert and I'm only 15, and this is not going to be to scale, it is going to based on a "if it looks right then I'm happy with it" bases. This isn't my first time scratch building a wagon, but I'm looking to improve my techniques.

So here's how it started,

I saw one on eBay and it looked like it needed a wee bit of cleaning up, so I went ahead and bid and won it (well my mum did all the EBay business) when I received it, it was in a bad condition, so I thought it would be easier to start again, and build one myself. I'm looking to have the brake van finished for this weekends exhibition.

Any tips/comments/feedback and opinions are welcome.

The chassis is always the same, it's a Dapol wagon chassis which I can pick up cheaply,

post-19436-0-46334400-1376932407_thumb.jpg

it was way over length compared to the photos, so came out the saw to remove the middle and end pieces, but keeping the buffers and buffer beam (A modelling saw of course was used).

post-19436-0-21116600-1376932202_thumb.jpg

When that was done I glued it back together and now it looks the right length.

post-19436-0-36475700-1376932583_thumb.jpg

Work has now begun on the body of the brake van.

post-19436-0-49710200-1376932663_thumb.jpg

This picture shows the inside, and where the door will be put.

This is what the outside looks now.

post-19436-0-67665900-1376932751_thumb.jpg

Some of you may be thinking what a right mess I've made (your probably right) but I will soon fix it up, and any glue marks will disappear later on.

Will keep you all updated on how it goes.

Any comments would be great.

Edited by Nelson Jackson
  • Like 7

Hi

Just saw your thread.  Looking good!!  I'm not familar with the wagon so can't comment but you are brave taking on this project and it looks as if you are building the wagon very carefully.  

Some of you may be thinking what a right mess I've made       Not at all!!    I was impressed with the strengthening of the sides.  Much will depend now on the detail and the finishing - how you clean it up - get rid of excess glue etc and how you paint and weather the wagon. 

Look forward to seeing how this progresses and more photos.   What sort of layout do you have?

Regards

Paul

What sort of layout do you have?

This is our current layout, it wasn't built by me, but me and my (young) brother helped along with dad to make it,

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/73806-oo-gauge-north-eastern-layout-updated/&do=findComment&comment=1115008

That's for the comment, it really does up my confidence.

Edited by Nelson Jackson

Hi Nelson,

This looks the business - excellent when considering it is your first effort! The way you have reinforced the sides and the very neat cut and shut job on the chassis gives me confidence that this will look very nice when finished. Just take your time and think each stage through carefully before you commit to cutting something and you will be fine.

All the best,

Castle

Oh no disaster has struck. No no, I'm only joking everything is going to plan, it may not seem like it but it is.

post-19436-0-33287900-1385199339.jpg

post-19436-0-19415600-1377004417_thumb.jpg

Apply masking tape onto the body, leaving a space on all edges. Then apply the filler.

post-19436-0-03925100-1376990992_thumb.jpg

Peel off the masking tape and sand it down. Then with a ruler cut along the filler to represent a ridge.

post-19436-0-95601500-1376991053_thumb.jpg

The finished product once painted should look like this, this was a test piece.

Now to get on with the rest of the body.

Edited by Nelson Jackson
  • Like 2

Looks very neatly done, how do you plan to make the birdcage, clear box overlaid or glazing the inside of the body?

Hi,

I didn't think about making a clear box and then it being overlaid with plasticard for the frames, I must have a think about that.

Here is how it stands currently.

post-19436-0-22529000-1377016237_thumb.jpg

Added the sides to the under frame.

post-19436-0-45314500-1377016397_thumb.jpg

And the sides have wooden cubes added to hold the end planks.

I have to admit, it's not that neat but once the roof and sides go on then then nobody will ever be able to see the inside.

• Like 1

Here's how the brake van stands, after today's work, I know not a lot of progress, but I do take my time.

post-19436-0-49123200-1377114297_thumb.jpg

Here are the two ends completed and fixed to the sides.

The two birdcage fronts were a nightmare, I'm glad I have finished them.

post-19436-0-09010200-1377114341_thumb.jpg

Here was just a test fit with the body on the chassis.

I have started with the roof supports, and the frames inside to hold the roof.

How time maybe for an early bed, I am completely exhausted.

Bye for now.

• Like 5

Hi Nelson,

Nice one - see, told you that you could do it! Having stuck the glazing in, make sure you buy yourself some maskol as you will be able to paint that in and mask it off very successfully without having the paint creep under.

Great stuff!

All the best,

Castle

Hello everyone,

Another day with not a lot of actual building, but I have spent hours planing on how I am going to do the roof.

post-19436-0-60376000-1377209000_thumb.jpg

Work that has been done today was, glueing all the sides together and to my amazement, everything was square and it's a pretty sturdy model.

post-19436-0-34054200-1377209104_thumb.jpg

I have also cleaned up the corners.

post-19436-0-08176100-1377209142_thumb.jpg

This was my second attempt at the roof, the first one was to short and very flimsy. The plastic used was 20/1000" thick, so very strong.

post-19436-0-59519900-1377209331_thumb.jpg

Here is another birdcage end, thank goodness that that's the last of them.

I'm hopefully going to finish it tomorrow, and add other detail such as hand rails, Steps, etc...

The roof on this model is held down with 5 supports and much thicker plasticard was used for the roof.

My earlier attempt at a roof on another wagon was held down with 3 thin supports and very thin plasticard, and look at the results. It has bulged up in two places. So you learn with every mistake you make.

Thanks for the comments, I like hearing other people's opinions, even if it is advice, constructive critism, etc...

Many thanks

Nelson

Now must get everything ready for tomorrow, we are setting up our layout tomorrow for Sat/Sunday.

• Like 6

This is looking very good!

I've been building my own NER brake van recently and found this book very useful -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-Railway-Brake-Vans/dp/1903266335

It's a good book for detail and there are a few detail photos of the preserved van at Hull's 'Streetlife Museum' on my blog here -

http://eastmoor.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/birdcage.html

This is looking very good!I've been building my own NER brake van recently and found this book very useful -http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-Railway-Brake-Vans/dp/1903266335 It's a good book for detail and there are a few detail photos of the preserved van at Hull's 'Streetlife Museum' on my blog here -http://eastmoor.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/birdcage.html

Thanks for the comment, you brake van is beautiful, very well built, I would love to be able to model up to those high standards.

You might do better with metal for the roof

I agree a metal roof would be better, but I need it finished tomorrow and seeing we don't have any local model shops, I had to make do of what I had, at the time any way I think it looks alright.
  • Like 1

Evenin' all

An interesting thread as I've just started cutting out pieces for a NER 6w brake van with central birdcage.

I like the way you've made the recessed doors.

One small point is that NER vans had bigger wheels (3'6) as opposed to the 3'1 of other railways.

Earlswood nob

There is (slightly different model) NER birdcage brake van in preservation on the Tanfield Railway

med_gallery_6994_434_216614.jpg

The wheels do look slightly larger than standard 3'1"

med_gallery_6994_434_133786.jpg

This shot shows the brake standard itself. Though whether it is visible in 4mm through those ickle windows...

The end of the van is at the right of the picture. I assume though it isn't clear from this shot that there was a door through into the rest of the van?

Anyway nice work, keep us posted.

Evenin' all

Thanks for the pics of the Tanfield Birdcage brake....the wheels are ten spoke which would go with the 3'6 diameter.

Vertical planking replaced horizontal planking in 1890's.

I look forward to seeing the painted brake van

Earlswood nob

Edited by Earlswood Nob

Hello everyone, I have finished the birdcage and attached the body to the chassis, looks well, of I say so myself. I still need to add the wooden supports at the ends.

post-19436-0-89697100-1377365613_thumb.jpg

Here it is at the layout today.

Must get round to painting it soon.

Edit: whoops, i forgot to include this photo which shows the inside of the body, and all the supports before I glued it to the chassis.

post-19436-0-21876600-1377635410_thumb.jpg

Must really need to invest in a new camera or maybe get one for Christmas.

Edited by Nelson Jackson
  • Like 14